REINSTALLING...IS BACK UP POSSIBLE?

artsclusiveartsclusive Posts: 14
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

So I need to replace my harddrive on my 27" iMac. I'm going to reinstall DS4.5 and was wondering if I had to reinstall EVERYTHING in "My Library" or if I could simply take my DAZ3D folder from my documents and back that up. Then once the program is reinstalled can I copy and paste it back?

Will this replace my already installed content or must I go through the work of reinstalling EVERYTHING once more.

BTW while I'm here since there are so many threads saying how DS4 and 4.5 crash...mine works pretty freaking good. Yes it crashes once ina while but it's never during a render and usually only when I try to do too many things at once. I love the program and 3delight works fantastic for me. The plugins are simple and Genesis is my favorite. I use all of my pre-purchased M4 and V4 and other G4 items plus gads of new stuff. Just thought I'd try to spread some cheer on an otherwise pretty gloomy run of posts lately.

Cheers mate!
J

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, you can just back up your My Library folder. If you have set up custom categories or metadata, you can use "Content Library > options menu > Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data" to write a metadata file like the ones that come with products. After you've installed on the new hard drive and copied your backup onto it, use "Content Library > options menu > Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata" to reload all the metadata.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

thebigjay nice to hear some positive comments for a change. :) I am also loving DS4.5.1.6 apart from the crashes....but I will cope...just.:)

Out of interest what system are you running, OS, CPUs, Ram, 32 or 64 bit etc?