Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017

OK, I think I got my list fixed up now. Please add it to your index.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Done.  Some really interesting picks, finding some things I haven't seen before.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

Llynara's Top 5 DAZ Picks for January 2017

Catching up! I rendered a LOT this month. I also bought more than I planned, but when you see my list, you'll know why! I feel like I was spoiled rotten by PAs this month, both with some of the new stuff coming out and the product testing I got to do. It was a fun month!

1. Legends for Genesis 3 Male: A freaking awesome Elvis outfit that I've been begging for. I can't believe two of my favorite PA's (Aave and DG) made it! They did such an amazing job! It looks good on every figure I've tried it on so far. More renders to come with this suit. I'm actually using it in promos for my next superhero book. Example 1 Example 2 Example 3
    2. Iain for Michael 7: He's gorgeous and I am over the moon that I got to be a tester for him. Darwin did a marvelous job on him. Iain will be featured on the cover of my next Midwest book as well as in the promos for my Black Kat series. He's that versatile. Example 1 Example 2 Example 3
    3. BOSS Pro Light Set for Portraits and Promos: Another product from a fabulous PA that I got to test. So much fun. This product has entirely changed how I approach renders. Example 1 Example 2  Example 3
    4. Toon Generations 2 Megabundle for Genesis 3: I fell in love with them. They are so much fun to mix with other figures and the renders everyone has been posting are a blast. Example 1 Example 2  Example 3 Example 4
    5. Body of Light: I'm having tons of fun playing with this innovative product by Marshian. Hoping to use it more in my superhero renders. There are many notes in my art thread about using this product. Example 1 Example 2 Example 3

I also added a few non-Daz picks on my art thread for the month.

Post edited by Llynara on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858

Okay, I got Barbult's and Llynara's added, tested the links, working fine (for now, lol.)  It's fun to see the diversity in what's being picked, and not surprising to see Ghost Lights, BOSS Pro Light Set, and Body of Light as top picks. I haven't studied Body of Light to try it yet, but it looks stunning!

Wow, everything is encrypted- people using 4.8 won't be able to use it, right?  While I don't generally mind encrypted, having everything encrypted en masse (all the items I checked anyway)  for a day's offerings, isn't a good marketing strategy.  Not good, particularly for folks using earlier studio versions. I think it's lost sales for the vendors, and not necessary. 

To Daz's credit, they've done as promised and unlocked after a year. So how does that protect the piracy if the items are now unlocked?  

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I still run 4.8 on my laptop so while I would be able to use them on my pc I won't be able to use them on my laptop.  So....

Novica said:

Wow, everything is encrypted- people using 4.8 won't be able to use it, right?  While I don't generally mind encrypted, having everything encrypted en masse (all the items I checked anyway)  for a day's offerings, isn't a good marketing strategy.  Not good, particularly for folks using earlier studio versions. I think it's lost sales for the vendors, and not necessary. 

To Daz's credit, they've done as promised and unlocked after a year. So how does that protect the piracy if the items are now unlocked?  

I guess I thought encrytion was going away because it was so unpopular. I still don't use DAZ Connect. I like using DIM, and the ability to back up all my zip files to my NAS. I don't want to worry about having to decrypt them.

edited January 2017
    Novica said:

Okay, I got Barbult's and Llynara's added, tested the links, working fine (for now, lol.)  It's fun to see the diversity in what's being picked, and not surprising to see Ghost Lights, BOSS Pro Light Set, and Body of Light as top picks. I haven't studied Body of Light to try it yet, but it looks stunning!

Thanks, Novica! You know, I've barely scratched the surface with that Body of Light set. I think there's TONS you can do, and I've suggested some add ons on Marshian's support thread, because I really think it's a great product that can evolve into even more. Right now, doing things beyond the presets takes some finagling, but the results are worth it (like the fairy lights I was working on.)

My next project is trying to get the right look with the lights buried beneath the ice shaders. Having fun experimenting with that one! I also picked up Khory's crystal shaders to see what that might look like with the BOL. After I get that one done, it's on to disco skin! (ie Disco ball reflective skin with BOL!)

Post edited by Llynara on
    edited February 2017

BTW, your JANUARY PC+ codes still work at the moment. I hadn't used my buy $18 one and I'll be darned if I'm going to throw it away, so I found a couple products that are 40% off and used them. One was a short jacket, one was a head scarf. Those two together were around $18.  I got X Fashion Turban Scarf and Leather Jacket   I think that short jacket will be adorable when layering shirts under it, it has an open front morph. Both those came to slightly over $12 so I'm good with it. Plus, using store credit from the gift card so it is that additional 18% off funds. I see posts about people not finding anything during January (not due to budget, they didn't find anything they liked) and I think there was a good variety most of the time.

Post edited by Novica on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

I also got that head scarf but noticed the promos all show it with no hair, I haven't tried it out yet but am wondering how it would work with hair under it?

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    Kharma said:

I also got that head scarf but noticed the promos all show it with no hair, I haven't tried it out yet but am wondering how it would work with hair under it?

Any head covering you wish to use with hait (hats, scarf, helmet) you really should use a D-Former to scrunch the hair inside the covering, and this look like it's poofing out. That seems to be the best way do far.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Someone needs to make good hair props - like, fringes etc so you can use them with hats and scarves etc without having to fit a full head of hair under them. 

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    jakiblue said:

Someone needs to make good hair props - like, fringes etc so you can use them with hats and scarves etc without having to fit a full head of hair under them. 

Heh, don't look at me, I suck at hair. :D

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Valandar said:
    Kharma said:

Any head covering you wish to use with hait (hats, scarf, helmet) you really should use a D-Former to scrunch the hair inside the covering, and this look like it's poofing out. That seems to be the best way do far.

Or you try http://www.daz3d.com/hat-and-hair-helper-for-genesis-3

edited February 2017

I have that hair helper, I may try it tomorrow with that scarf so folks can see it. Headed to get some sleep, but before I do, check out fast grab. Sawmill is in there, and both Rich and I have it and like it. There's a lot of different nooks and crannies from which to shoot. 

Also, today, look at Dogz's boots. Those are very similar to what folks wear at barns to muck stalls. So if you have farm scenes, those would be very appropriate to wear year round at any barn.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2017

Hat and Hair Helper for Genesis 3        X-Fashion Turban Scarf (Gen3F)        X-Fashion Leather Jacket (Gen3F)       GDN Luna

All I can say is WOW. One slider, done. Showing before and after. Be SURE and read the PDF. You load the helper onto G3F. You load the hair on the helper, etc.

And Luna, what a cutie!!!! She's still only $8.80
     put Abigail top on, under the jacket.

Okay, now getting some sleep, it's 5:44am.

hairScarf.png
    443 x 600 - 452K
    hairScarf2.png
    443 x 600 - 523K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Novica said:

And Luna, what a cutie!!!! She's still only $8.80

And she is Encrypted Daz Connect ONLY content - just a warning for people who refuse DRM, don't use Connect or are still at DS4.8 ...

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,641

I have a question about our three favorite renders for the month - two of mine are in PC Forums so I guess not everyone can see them. Should I upload them to my gallery and link to that? (I didn't want to do this without asking as it is now February and it will look like the renders are from February.)

Yes please. Very thoughtful of you to ask  smiley   I'll add that to the guidelines, because all the renders should be accessible.

@Barbult- you had asked how to link, using the product name and linking to the product page. If you like the way Llynara did hers, (which is the way I think you wanted to do it) by linking the product name to the product page, then putting Example (or Render) after it and linking your images from there, I've changed the guidelines so you can do it either way. 

Novica said:

@Barbult- you had asked how to link, using the product name and linking to the product page. If you like the way Llynara did hers, (which is the way I think you wanted to do it) by linking the product name to the product page, then putting Example (or Render) after it and linking your images from there, I've changed the guidelines so you can do it either way. 

I'll try that next month. I think it is a better way.

edited February 2017

More of Luna. I really like her! Also showing a few of the Victoria 7 Expressive facial poses. The first render has the Oleander Hair, which frankly seems straggly and I couldn't find any thicken strands options. I couldn't find a way to make it look as thick as the promo does, not in the Parameters or in Scene, I broke the hair down and there was just the massive Scale option which distorts the crown and top of the head, no way to do front strands.  Good for zombies, beach/wet hair perhaps, but overall I'm so-so with this unless I can find a way to thicken the hair in front. It's probably right there going nana nana nah nah. Mine looks more like  the main promo, very thin. 

I don't recall ever using Scott Hair on a gal, I probably have, but it looks good. 

BTW, that Abigail Outfit is one of those that removes the legs once you load it, what was the quick fix for getting those back? HATE those. I was going to put different pants on her and of course, no legs. Poor gal. I do really like the top because it's long and makes a good layered look for the jacket, extending past it.

Well, it's 75 degrees here, going to put the top down on the convertible and head out to run errands- too nice to be inside! Crazy for January, it's normally 50-60 on average here in the Florida panhandle, or colder. Two years ago, we had three days of sleet and freezing rain. Lost my beautiful mature palm tree in the front yard. Right now, all the flowers are confused and blooming, the late March/April ones are in full bloom because we had a cold snap, now warm, so they're thinking "Time to come out!" 

luna2.png
    300 x 600 - 231K
    luna.png
    443 x 600 - 489K
    luna3Scott HairV7Expresn.png
    443 x 600 - 435K
    Post edited by Novica on

She looks really good with the Scott Hair! The short hair brings out her lovely features. 

The quick fix is to delete the offending Abigail pants from your scene. Hiding them with the eye will not bring the legs back.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,804
    edited February 2017

I decided to render something different than buildings for a change. I picked up SC Alice for Genesis 3 Female in fast grab today. This is her with her daughter "Alicia" who was created using the growing up morphs. I used the 9-10 year old preset because I noticed that Alice is shorter than Genesis 3 and the 5-6 year old preset made for a very tiny child. The clothing is two different textures of the dress Summer Kiss for Genesis 3 Females. The sandals are from Casual Summer for Genesis 3 Females. The mom has Christina Hair while the daughter has BlueBell Hair. The poses are from Oreschnick Poses: Mothers and their Daughters Poses with a small amount of arm and hand tweaking for the girl's right hand. The girl's expression is a combination of Amazing ME! 25 Expressions for Tween Julie 7 and Smile Delight. The setting is The Neighbour's Yard with Novica's BOO! light preset applied to Iray Ghost Lights. The default Iray dome is active, so there's also light from the sky.

EDIT: barbult noticed they were floating, so I brought them back to earth.

Alice.png
    1000 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited February 2017

I really need to get off the computer.

But here's Woody (Gen3M) and Ultimate Zombie (Gen3M)  getting ready to head out and have a night on the town. Woody is safe because well, he's wood. He has some interesting material options, not that I understand what I'd use them for. 

woodyUltimateZombie.png
    610 x 600 - 682K
    Post edited by Novica on

I think Woody would look good merged into a tree trunk.

edited February 2017

Dang it Rich!  You sent me to Fast Grab and .....

When did that change? I love that wedding dress, don't have one. And the characters are different from what I have, and, and...

Post edited by Novica on
    RGcincy said:

I think Woody would look good merged into a tree trunk.

Can you imagine him coming out of something wood from behind an unsuspecting person? But he also looks charming when he smiles. He'd also be good as a kid's toy.

Nice render btw. My store credit just went down thanks to you. 

...and you're spending money!

It changed around 11:30 this morning but I didn't see it until mid-afternoon. I got Jackson's Field which has been on my wishlist for a long time and I'm debating a few others. I only bought about 8 items in January and 6 were from fast grab. Got 3 in the past two days. They've been having some better items recently.

This discussion has been closed.