Why does DAZ Studio customers like Conforming Cloths better then Dynamic Cloths ?

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I have it wishlisted, since the base price + bridge... yeah, that's a lot.

I'm VERY curious to see how it works in Daz, do show!

Works great; I was a beta tester.

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275

Hello

My personnal experience:

- after using Clothe Room in Poser, Optitex plug in DS4, Marvelous Designer,.... I'm now using only VWD in DS4 for all my dynamic simulation (and keep MD for clothe creation). I posted some renders here (all have a VWD simu) and in the VWD topics at Rendo.

- about the "non intuitive" topic. Yes I was disappointed with my first use (workflow, new objects,...) but, after a better understanding, it's, at least for me, the most easy dynamic solution I use. I spend 5 min max  (complex clothes, multi-layers simulations) to get the results in DS4

- about the manual: yes it can/will be improved. But I must said that the Poser Cloth Room manual is also not simple certainly why we have plenty of other manuals (Esha,...) :-). Video are also essential for better understanding

- The most interesting functionnality is the ability to adjust the simulation (drag vertices, pin, shrink,...) interactively. I'm fond of Mucha drapé so I'm a happy guy ... like Mythmaker

- Dynamic world is not a one click solution (like conforming) but the more I learn the better are the results. I'm currently simulating a very complex V4 clothe (belt, long skirt, jewels,...) on a posed and morphed G3F and still not happy with the result but it's certainly my fault. I will find a way :-)

- Last: I don't have any conforming/dynamic preference like I simulate dynamic clothes made for Poser , conforming clothes either completely or partially ... So I buy clothe that I like and after I use the workflow I need depending of the clothe, the character, the pose, ....

- I must say it's like a drug : finding new solutions, quickly test them, dig in my old libraries for clothes and get them for Genesis 3,...    

RAMWolff said:

Anyone know of a way to pin the top verts with a fader of say a pair of pants to the figure so they don't drop off of it?  That would be useful info for VWD! 

Gracias!

If you are talking about VWD: select vertices and click on "nail to collision" it is in the manual :-)

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,444

thanks for the advice folks, I appreciate it.

If I'm paying $60+ I do kind of expect a manual that I can (gasp) read.  The ad-copy is horrendous, so I hope the manual is better than that.

• jcbunnjcbunn Posts: 270
    edited September 2016

VWD youtube channel may be helpful https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOpGh2GKgryXyMlbcTQ45dg/feed

Nicstt, tester for VWD or for the bridge ?

Post edited by jcbunn on
    jcbunn said:

VWD youtube channel may be helpful https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOpGh2GKgryXyMlbcTQ45dg/feed

Bridge. Sadly not that lucky. :)

@RamWolff

You can use Fixed as well (to sort of pin); it doesn't work if the character is a dynamic pose, but is a good method when not as is easy to 'unpin' - just chose clear fixed.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

OK, thanks for the advice folks.  I'll give that try! 

Yea, that worked pretty well.  Be nice if DAZ offered to buy this and made their own in house improvements to it.  It's got enough options but I think streamlining them a bit more would be an improvement to work flow! 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

I decided to look for a a DVD collection of old cartoon series & saw the old TinTin cartoons and found out there was a 3D movie from 2011 of TinTin. Now that has a good look but it's sort of in between cartoon and real. The actual characters are done realistically and it's oddly often the clothing that gives them away as 3D animations. Also, the animations are not quite varied and fluid enough as another giveway.

I don't know if they created those with DAZ Studio models or not, but it wouldn't be a fantastic surprise if that's at least where they started. They are doing a second TinTin but I don't know is the clothing is any more realistic. I did see a short film of a Disney clip of a toon cop running and that did have realistic moving cloth.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited September 2016
    RAMWolff said:

Yea, that worked pretty well.  Be nice if DAZ offered to buy this and made their own in house improvements to it.  It's got enough options but I think streamlining them a bit more would be an improvement to work flow! 

Streamlining them a lot would be good lol. The documentation, UI, workflow are bloated because it was made for Poser.  

I'd llike all cloth plugins to tap into the far more professional and intuitive DS's own geometry editor vert/poly selection and grouping. Native grouping means higher reusability (and merchant product spawning potential). Will cut down at least 75% redundant clicks/ steps/ time too.

The ability to save selected vertices group presets, global rigidity presets, local rigidity presets would be nice too. Optitex plugin has that level of integration in Daz Studio (even as Optitex is not feasible for creating sellable clothing bases!). 

For the sake of longevity, dynamic cloth/ hair/ particle plugin producers should make their tool as integrated with DS as possible, preferably with native file saving - base or presets. But I would settle for script saves...

The more products a tool can spawn, the wider it will be adopted. All parties, plugin dev, users, Daz3D profit!

For the sake of new store product category, Daz3D should proactively support all dynamic clothing plugins, makes sense, right? smiley

Post edited by Mythmaker on
    edited September 2016

I decided to look for a a DVD collection of old cartoon series & saw the old TinTin cartoons and found out there was a 3D movie from 2011 of TinTin. Now that has a good look but it's sort of in between cartoon and real.

I don't know if they created those with DAZ Studio models or not, but it wouldn't be a fantastic surprise if that's at least where they started. 

Even 10-person studios use their own custom rigs/models for too many technical reasons. Daz Studio is good for pre-viz though, especially now with iRay interactive.

Tintin style is more realistic than the Incredibles or Minions but still considered non-realistic. Its fabric and fluid behavior are also consistent with its chosen realism level

Realism Consistency (or INconsistency) is the biggest giveaway if a character is done by hobbyists in tools like Daz Studio and not by CG pros.

IRay physical amplifies the inconsistency between perfect-realistic skin against helmet hair, perfect glassy iris against cartoon-realisitc shape eyes, refined eyelashes against JARRING poorly bend hair strands.

Most hobbyists do not notice the discrepancy. But if you choose to do photorealism, then do realism consistently. In a time of Pixar flix and 3D gaming, audience these days instantly spot visual inconsistency.

Dynamic cloth sims can solve some mesh hair realism consistency problems. If used properly. 

I plan to render something between Tintin and Minion level realism. No way I'll settle for hand morph dynamics. Happy to have dynamic sim options now!

DS users into "Photorealism Correctness" have no more excuses to render a single frame with bunched-up skirt crotch. Looking forward to seeing fewer lycra underboobs on cotton blouses! lol

devillaughsmiley  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,925
    edited September 2016

You would think so.

I actually put in a support ticket to Zendesk about third party plugins for DAZ software and the inability to post on the forum about such things.

Was told could as long as no commercial links but as I said in my ticket, third party developers  for other pro software like 3Dstufio Max and Maya, C4D, Lightwave etc would be pretty shocked at such restrictions in fact links most plugins etc are listed on their sites.

Its why they probably do not bother.

Professional software suites welcome such stuff as it generates more sales and 99% of the times users here would be using bought DAZ 3D models to do such simulations.  

Even stuff like animations for DAZ animals cannot be linked inspite of such content not bring available in the DAZ store and the model in store is required to use it.

Autodesk would have no issues with commercial biped animations and mocap software listed on any of their forum sites I am pretty sure, esp if made to work with their software maybe I am very mistaken.

It is hard to discus or share any info if the TOS continues to be a moving target beyond what is written Here http://www.daz3d.com/terms-of-service 

particulary this

• The Daz 3D forums and galleries should be a destination for learning, conversation and helping others
    • This should be a fun and positive place to communicate
    • A place of learning and sharing
    • A place to go for help in learning new techniques
    • Communicate and discuss ideas in a positive non-threatening way
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275
    nicstt said:
    jcbunn said:

@RamWolff

You can use Fixed as well (to sort of pin); it doesn't work if the character is a dynamic pose, but is a good method when not as is easy to 'unpin' - just chose clear fixed.

Beta-tested the bridge and now using the commercial version. The bridge is totally invisible (except the first time where you must find VWD directory if I remember well).Launch the  script from DS4 and VWD is launched and then you work in VWD the same way that coming from Poser. Sending back pose or complete animation is also transparent. 

If I'm paying $60+ I do kind of expect a manual that I can (gasp) read.  The ad-copy is horrendous, so I hope the manual is better than that.

I already read the manual 5 or 6 times and still learning from it. 

Here is a render: "Old but good" V4 Psychee dress (a long dress!) fitted to G3F. My old clothes have a new life :-) 

Psychee-5 Dust PW.jpg
    1102 x 1378 - 289K
    smaker1 said:
    nicstt said:
    jcbunn said:

@RamWolff

Beta-tested the bridge and now using the commercial version. The bridge is totally invisible (except the first time where you must find VWD directory if I remember well).Launch the  script from DS4 and VWD is launched and then you work in VWD the same way that coming from Poser. Sending back pose or complete animation is also transparent. 

Here is a render: "Old but good" V4 Psychee dress (a long dress!) fitted to G3F. My old clothes have a new life :-) 

That looks nice and new.

edited September 2016
    Mythmaker said:

I decided to look for a a DVD collection of old cartoon series & saw the old TinTin cartoons and found out there was a 3D movie from 2011 of TinTin. Now that has a good look but it's sort of in between cartoon and real.

I don't know if they created those with DAZ Studio models or not, but it wouldn't be a fantastic surprise if that's at least where they started. 

Even 10-person studios use their own custom rigs/models for too many technical reasons. Daz Studio is good for pre-viz though, especially now with iRay interactive.

Tintin style is more realistic than the Incredibles or Minions but still considered non-realistic. Its fabric and fluid behavior are also consistent with its chosen realism level

Realism Consistency (or INconsistency) is the biggest giveaway if a character is done by hobbyists in tools like Daz Studio and not by CG pros.

IRay physical amplifies the inconsistency between perfect-realistic skin against helmet hair, perfect glassy iris against cartoon-realisitc shape eyes, refined eyelashes against JARRING poorly bend hair strands.

Most hobbyists do not notice the discrepancy. But if you choose to do photorealism, then do realism consistently. In a time of Pixar flix and 3D gaming, audience these days instantly spot visual inconsistency.

Dynamic cloth sims can solve some mesh hair realism consistency problems. If used properly. 

I plan to render something between Tintin and Minion level realism. No way I'll settle for hand morph dynamics. Happy to have dynamic sim options now!

DS users into "Photorealism Correctness" have no more excuses to render a single frame with bunched-up skirt crotch. Looking forward to seeing fewer lycra underboobs on cotton blouses! lol

devillaughsmiley  

The odd thing was that when I was looking at those stills I was looking for things that make me think OK it looks real but I can tell it is fake. And I couldn't do so, at least then, now I think the crow's feet around the eyes end too abruptly for example. I guess an expert could go through really easily and find lots of faults.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    smaker1 said:
    nicstt said:
    jcbunn said:

@RamWolff

Yes I realise that, as I said, I beta tested the bridge. :)

edited September 2016

@Smaker1 - that's one of the prettiest dynamic clothing sim still render I've seen around here. Nice ethereal post effect touches too.

@Wendy aka ToeJam - I hear you. A strange minority probably believe that stonewalls (and sticks) really lead to more profit than carrots with the mere cashflow-cows known as Daz3D shopaholics. Some may think customers are faceless scaredy cat little minions who enjoy being whacked with oversized sticks, but employees are human too, most I've seen are well-adjusted, so I refuse to let one or two usual PR and OPTICS oblivious species bother my CG fun time! 

Show the crankies how to be POSITIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE! lol cheeky

If it was me I would give all ears and smiles to the ultimate Daz3D user who's an avid shopper, avid multiapp jet-setting animator, a most helpful Daz/Carrara noob guide, and most importantly - has the same number of YouTube subscriber as Daz3D without a marketing team!

Still I think Daz3D is on the whole an enlightened company with foresight...who knows what ground-breaking and game-changing dynamic physics realtime iRay awesomeness is in store for Daz 4.9.9.9...!

Anywayz Good to see ToeJam has moved on from Sad mode, happy, the madcatlady/jaguar is back on the prowl! wink

edited September 2016

Here's a quick demo to show

1. Morphs are nice if the dress merchant is good. But they don't work for the other 9546 variety of human poses and animation. 

2. Even in experienced modeler's hands, a good sculpt still doesn't deliver the beauty or REALISM of a good dynamic sim.

G3F. MFD. Stock G3F pose. Fitted.

Pic 1, default Daz Studio issue.

Pic2, a quick ZBrush GoZ  morph.

Pic3, a quick VWD static sim - with dynamic manipulation of mesh, in less than 10 minutes.

I was literally sculpting in realtime inside VWD. Pure fun!

• Why isn't the rear hem draping?

Mythmaker said:

Here's a quick demo to show

1. Morphs are nice if the dress merchant is good. But they don't work for the other 9546 variety of human poses and animation. 

2. Even in experienced modeler's hands, a good sculpt still doesn't deliver the beauty or REALISM of a good dynamic sim.

G3F. MFD. Stock G3F pose. Fitted.

Pic 1, default Daz Studio issue.

Pic2, a quick ZBrush GoZ  morph.

Pic3, a quick VWD static sim - with dynamic manipulation of mesh, in less than 10 minutes.

I was literally sculpting in realtime inside VWD. Pure fun!

Nice work & examples.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897

I haven't done the manual push/pull thing. Hmm. I should try that.

One thing I love is actually getting decent dress straps/bikinis, because you can make these items elastic and 'pull tight'.

I didn't even know you could do manual push and pulling while it's draping.  WHAT???  surprise

edited September 2016

Why isn't the rear hem draping?

If you're refering to the manual manipulation gif

The rear hem isn't draping because the dynamic simulation has a 'pause to tug/pull' option and the action is mouse radius dependent like in typical sculpting...

Pose to sculpt is just awesome, especially when it's possible to calibrate the "fabric tension" to get soft/hard/ effect

And the clothing modelers with good topology practice will figure out what kind of poly density/distribution is more suited for what result...

MFD topology is excellent for conforming skinning - to Genesis/s in particular, but not ideal for either Optitex or VWD cloth sim btw. 

Anyway

What this implies for those with some modeling sculpting skills = VWD is a also a under-$99 dollar DYNAMIC SCULPTOR plugin for Daz Studio users. 

On QUAD mesh too. Again, I emphasize: you can do this manual tug/push/pull maniulation but only on TRI mesh in $550 Marvelous Designer.  

... holy poot, that hadn't even occurred to me, Myth!

edited September 2016
    RAMWolff said:

I didn't even know you could do manual push and pulling while it's draping.  WHAT???  surprise

After a round of dynamic simulation. Start Dynamic Manipulation again, press Vertices Interaction. Dialog popup just say yes.

Half way through a dynamic simulation, stop simulation. Hold down Shift and click on cloth. Dialog popup, just say yes.

Shift left click anywhere on cloth, let the fun begin. If you keep pressing down SHIFT, the simulation and draping will continue...

Just awesome, to interact with fabric like this...

I don't have to drool at MD videos anymore...lol

This level of dynamicism is what I hope ZBrush 5 will bring...

I would get on board ANY dynamic solution developers throw at Daz users. But it's also how enthusiastic I feel. When I saw the level of interactivity in VWD's video I knew I had to get it as soon as the Daz bridge is ready.  

Another gem:a full dynamic simulation session will also auto-generate a morph a frame. 30 frame animation = 30 morphs all loaded in Parameters waiting for you to pick and choose as your preferred final base shape.

VWD integration to DS is a WIP. But I will recommend VWD to clothing merchants just for intuitive and beautiful dynamic sculpting alone. 

Timmin: yes conforming bikini strings is one of the biggest eyesores for realism-sensitive artist eyes lol so good thinking!

EDITED the steps leading to dynamic sculpting

Cool. I'll give that a try next time I do a sym  surprise

• Additional points on the quick demo sim above:

I deliberately used base G3F and popular MFD/ Morphing Fantasy Dress, a conforming item (instead of Genesis1 and my own custom "soft-physics-friendly" clothing obj/prop)

I purposely kept the steps all bare minimum from DS to VWD 

VWD settings all 100% default, collision: click, cloth: click (vertices extension only)

then no vertex group selection no pinning no nailing, just Simulation tab, Dynamic Simulation 

then, start the dynamic manipulation fun

When you're happy with the tug result just click one button to send the pose back to DS, will auto-update in DS viewport

It's that simple!

Most importantly, also fun, and I warn you, ADDICITIVE laugh

VWD has depth, store ecology positive plus plus, deserves more host attention, that's what I'm saying :) 

• eheiehbruno@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 842
    edited September 2016

... Right, now that the world has stopped spinning, I have a couple of questions:

1.- Supposedly, VWD can convert any item into a dynamic one, but I've yet to see it being used for the classic couch-butt collision. Does it work well in such cases?

2.- Related question, how much work does it take to have more than one figure interacting with the same item? Say, a dynamic tug of war or someone pulling someone else's hair?

3.- Related 2: Relate Harder. Does it give nice results in a figure-to-figure collision? Say, Victoria slapping Michael or Millennium Dog biting Gianni? How about solving the classic boobs-of-steel walking problem?

4.- Does anybody know a bank with really poor security? A... friend of mine asked.

Edit: Sorry, for some reason, my phone is eating up paragraphs and I don't know how to fix it.

2nd edit: Fixed from a proper computer. Still baffled.

Post edited by [email protected] on

Now, re: bikini, I almost never do bikini stuff. But there are plenty of dresses and other tops where the straps or other bits flop weirdly on the collar.

edited September 2016
    Uthgard said:
    ... Right, now that the world has stopped spinning, I have a couple of questions: 1.- Supposedly, VWD can convert any item into a dynamic one, but I've yet to see it being used for the classic couch-butt collision. Does it work well in such cases? 2.- Related question, how much work does it take to have more than one figure interacting with the same item? Say, a dynamic tug of war or someone pulling someone else's hair? 3.- Related 2: Relate Harder. Does it give nice results in a figure-to-figure collision? Say, Victoria slapping Michael or Millennium Dog biting Gianni? How about solving the classic boobs-of-steel walking problem?

Answers to highlighted by line

- see pic below

- not much work, once you understand the "character" of VWD plugin (plugins have unique personalities too!)

- theoretically doable for still renders with one figure being turned into a prop. 

- subject to artistry and skills; dog biting at human or furniture can surely be done with VWD "dynamic sculpting"

- subject to modeling/sculpting skills; as far as I know cloth objects will be turned into non-figures. As I said earlier, "prop-pified". But so long boobs are bouncing under a layer of fabric, can theoretically be done. Some kind of special bra or "temporal jelly silicon" underwear lol

Pic 1 no sim.

Pic 2 minimal pinning, 2-3 minutes dynamic sculpting. Very wobbly, result more like bean bag.

Pic 3 with pinning and rigidification by neighborhood, hard. Only 30 seconds of dynamic sculpting.

Daz Studio finally has a kind of "morph brush". Yeepeeee

Not saying it's all roses, VWD still isn't 100% stable and integrated with DS, and I'm not saying it will be easy for 3D newbies. But I'm really liking this strange new ways of sculpting... ZBrushers and Mudboxers and Blender tribe will love it no doubt!

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Hi!  I've been teaching myself VWD Dynamics via the Daz Bridge product while I'm on vacation here off and on (sims really chug on this laptop, but they're doable, barely).  Presently I've gotten one hair sim to run with no issues following Biscuit's tutorial.  (Links to competing products are not allowed, but all of this is found at Renderosity.) 

The problem is that subsequently every hair sim I try chokes at the Dynamic or Static Simulation stage with an Access Violation error (at least I think that's what it says; it's in French).

Is anyone else getting this, does anyone have any idea what I did to cause it?  I tried starting anew with a different hair and a different Daz Studio scene, but it still seems to happen.