Gen3 / Poser

ChristenChristen Posts: 240
edited December 1969 in The Commons

The Genesis 3 products are showing DS only. Will they be compatible with dson soon like Genesis 1 or will Genesis 3 always be DS only? Not looking to start an app war just want to know.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,567
    edited December 1969

Not from what i have read so far, DS only.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Genesis 3 Female is DAZ Studio only.

• ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

Right...I see that it is right now just like Gen 1 was until dson. Just hoping someone official can say whether or not gen 3 will eventually work with dson.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,825
    edited December 1969

Someone might be able to create a script one might hope like Dimension 3D.
    Being new nobody has had a chance to study it.
    My cr2 attempt is in the Poser forum, it is disembodied eyes, boobs, hands and feet basically!!!!
    Somehow most the geometry gets missed

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

With the change in rigging and the use of UDIM UV's, the current DSON python scripts may not be able to translate the changes into something Poser can parse.

• ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

Well that sucks :/ If I could get a good handle on DS I might give it a try, but after using Poser for 10+ years everything seems completely different in DS. Maybe one day. lol

Thanks everyone!

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,031
    edited December 1969

From what I've seen messing around with it, I'm pretty sure the weight mapping method of g3f is what is keeping her out of Poser. I don't think Poser is capable of it. I tried 2 different methods of putting her in Poser. The first was the cr2 export (which behaved as Wendy said), and the 2nd by exporting poser companion files from within Daz. She was fine in Poser standing still or morphed, but as soon as I moved her at all she melted like a wax statue in Death Valley. That said, it was a pretty cool effect :D But makes me think prospects for even a scripted port are dim.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

From what I've seen messing around with it, I'm pretty sure the weight mapping method of g3f is what is keeping her out of Poser. I don't think Poser is capable of it. I tried 2 different methods of putting her in Poser. The first was the cr2 export (which behaved as Wendy said), and the 2nd by exporting poser companion files from within Daz. She was fine in Poser standing still or morphed, but as soon as I moved her at all she melted like a wax statue in Death Valley. That said, it was a pretty cool effect :D But makes me think prospects for even a scripted port are dim.

You have to post images of that, sounds cool :coolsmile:

• ObirusskenobiObirusskenobi Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

OK so here's what I have been thinking today after seeing the latest release.
    I was a Member here when they were simply Zygote 3D, I've been a poser user since 1998 with poser 4 and I have spent thousands in this store alone. I still have Victoria 1 and Michael 1 all the way up until V6 and M6 and all the while I have not crossed over or used DAZ Studio because I have always paid for the new newest version of poser. Now DAZ have brought out Gen3 and Victoria 7 WITH NO SUPPORT FOR POSER At ALL!!!!!

This is how they reward their customers!.... and on that note, it's time to cancel my membership and say goodbye to DAZ3D
    I wont be giving this store any more of my money, I will happily spend it elsewhere

(I'm sorry for my Rant, but I feel so betrayed and let down by DAZ, I'm sure others feel the same way)

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803
    edited December 1969

I have never been that happy with DSON. So are you doing animations. I stoped, because rendertimes per frame are muchto high for me, and i refuse to do low quality movie clips. so I'm doing stills. My workflow is to set up my Genesis I,II or lll Character in DS and then to export it as an obj-file to Poser. By that I can easily fix some shape-joint issues with the Poser morph-brush. I don't need to pose in Poser. Character setup in DS, Scene set-up in Poser - easy. Since iRay, I consider that workflow as obsolete now.
    So, in case you are doing only stills, you don't realy need DSON. You can use obj-import as a workaround.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Can Poser import FBX?

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,031
    edited June 2015

chohole said:

You have to post images of that, sounds cool :coolsmile:

Heh... alrighty :D (though the first time I did it the melty was better than this one)

Me: "Well hey, there she is... I'll just do an EZSkin preset... yup, that worked... ok now a body morph... yup, those dials are working... hmmm pose dials not so much... let's see, I'll just grab her arm and--- AHHHH KILL IT WITH FIRE!!"

Post edited by ChangelingChick on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Alas, poor Vicky, I knew her well.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

that is some final destination type stuff.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,567
    edited December 1969

I was a Member here when they were simply Zygote 3D, I've been a poser user since 1998 with poser 4 and I have spent thousands in this store alone. I still have Victoria 1 and Michael 1 all the way up until V6 and M6 and all the while I have not crossed over or used DAZ Studio because I have always paid for the new newest version of poser. Now DAZ have brought out Gen3 and Victoria 7 WITH NO SUPPORT FOR POSER At ALL!!!!!

This is how they reward their customers!.... and on that note, it's time to cancel my membership and say goodbye to DAZ3D
    I wont be giving this store any more of my money, I will happily spend it elsewhere

(I'm sorry for my Rant, but I feel so betrayed and let down by DAZ, I'm sure others feel the same way)

I honestly can't see how you feel betrayed, makes sense to me from a business standpoint, surprised it didn't come sooner.

I started with poser and have multiple versions up to the latest also. i also started using DS with version 3. I now use DS almost exclusively due to features, ease of use, content compatibility and quality that fits into my workflow. I still use poser for a few needs and have 5 different modeling apps i go between depending on needs. Tech changes all the time and sometimes you just have to change direction to get the results you want.

• ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited June 2015

I don't believe there will be Poser support for this one this time around (at least for the foreseeable future). The tech just does not match for Poser's current version. Until Poser releases a new one to keep pace with DS 4.8's improvements, looks like this is one toy Poser-only users will have to sit one out.

Then again, this is pretty much the same situation as when Genesis came out.

Post edited by Servant on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889
    edited December 1969

I just don't see how you can expect two competitors to stay in synch forever; eventually, the demands on one or the other will drive compatibility apart. I'm frankly surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Now, maybe Poser will find compatibility with Autodesk and Maya compelling, and move that way. But it seems unlikely.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited June 2015

I honestly can't see how you feel betrayed, makes sense to me from a business standpoint, surprised it didn't come sooner.

I started with poser and have multiple versions up to the latest also. i also started using DS with version 3. I now use DS almost exclusively due to features, ease of use, content compatibility and quality that fits into my workflow. I still use poser for a few needs and have 5 different modeling apps i go between depending on needs. Tech changes all the time and sometimes you just have to change direction to get the results you want.

i leave poser completly (because of poor inovation) poser was fun and is getting old, same as carrara and if hex wasn't a modeler well you can guess..., with all the indie versions that rise of the highends lot's of study and good alternatives.

Post edited by Fixme12 on