CAR AND BIKE LOVERS THREAD - MARK II

Comments

• equinoxx5equinoxx5 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    betsy662 said:
    Rose's Service is probably able to be downloaded still, but yeah, the guy who made the 56 Ford and the 61 Impala, both convertible and hard top, won't allow them to be downloaded now.

Where is Rose Service model located?

Dana
    It's a Sketchup model, in the 3D Warehouse.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

equinoxx5 said:
    DanaTA said:
    betsy662 said:
    Rose's Service is probably able to be downloaded still, but yeah, the guy who made the 56 Ford and the 61 Impala, both convertible and hard top, won't allow them to be downloaded now.

Dana

It's a Sketchup model, in the 3D Warehouse.

Oh, OK. I have no experience with Sketchup models.

Dana

• GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    betsy662 said:
    equinoxx5 said:
    music2u4u said:
    It was at one time, but the arthor discovered that someone was selling all his cars on some site, and he pulled them from being downloaded.

Shame. That is a beautiful model.

"Full Service"

Dana

3D Warehouse, its a sketchup model.

edited December 1969

Here's another great model from Goldensim, the same guy who made the 56 Ford and the 59 Caddy, he also made the diner in this pic, its still available for download.

mickeys_dining_car.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 361K
    edited December 1969

The trophy in this pic is also one of Goldensim's models, nicely done up for his 59 Caddy contest a few years back.

winner.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 400K
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    betsy662 said:
    equinoxx5 said:
    music2u4u said:
    It was at one time, but the arthor discovered that someone was selling all his cars on some site, and he pulled them from being downloaded.

"Full Service"

Dana

The Rose "service" Station is a sketchup model. It won one of the best awards for a sketchup model. One reason is the detail, but the main reason is, the author throughly understands how to group each part of the model where the textures will apply where they are suppose to even after a conversion is done. This is the biggest mistake most Sketchup users make when they save a model. You open it after being converted to an .obj or .3ds file, and half the textures don't apply or are missing. The Rose Station is one of the best Sketchup models for cars I know of. It was my inspiration for making models properly. All my Sketchup converted models work perfectly. I have given many as prizes in the Freebie challenge for years now...no complaints yet.

:-)

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    DanaTA said:
    betsy662 said:
    equinoxx5 said:
    music2u4u said:

"Full Service"

Dana

The Rose "service" Station is a sketchup model. It won one of the best awards for a sketchup model. One reason is the detail, but the main reason is, the author throughly understands how to group each part of the model where the textures will apply where they are suppose to even after a conversion is done. This is the biggest mistake most Sketchup users make when they save a model. You open it after being converted to an .obj or .3ds file, and half the textures don't apply or are missing. The Rose Station is one of the best Sketchup models for cars I know of. It was my inspiration for making models properly. All my Sketchup converted models work perfectly. I have given many as prizes in the Freebie challenge for years now...no complaints yet.

The reason most of the textures don't come out after conversion is they simply don't show up in the conversion folder, the ones that do usually work okay, the textures are still in the .mtl file however, and by running the model through Poseray, it brings the texture surfaces back into existence, such was the case with Mickey's Dining Car, which is also a very nice model.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    DanaTA said:
    betsy662 said:
    equinoxx5 said:
    music2u4u said:

"Full Service"

Dana

How do you convert one to use with DS or Poser?

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    music2u4u said:
    DanaTA said:
    betsy662 said:
    equinoxx5 said:
    music2u4u said:

"Full Service"

Dana

How do you convert one to use with DS or Poser?

Dana

You will need an obj exporter, you will also want to, while you still have it in Sketchup, delete the dome around the model, its bascally a skydome, but its no good in DS, once you find an obj export ruby for Sketchup, simply install it according to the instructions, you will have to search for that at the Sketchup site.

Once you have it exported as an obj, you will want to run it through Poseray, simply load into Poseray, then export the obj back into the same folder, which if you set it up right, when you exported the original obj out of Sketchup, it should have created a folder for the textures, your obj file, as well as your mtl file should be sitting outside that folder, you can simply place them into the texure folder for the that model, after you have exported the new obj out of Poseray, you can then simply import the model into DS, once you import the model into DS, you will notice that the textures aren't on the model, the colors are, but the textures aren't, use the surfaces tab in DS, and load them, with decent sketchup models, the texture file names in the surfaces tab and the texture files in your textures folder should be the same name, simply load the textures one at a time, once you are done with that, go back to the top surface window in the surfaces tab, and click on that, then to file, save as, materials preset, at that point, go ahead and create a folder for your preset, then you should be able to find it when you import the model again.

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:

You will need an obj exporter, you will also want to, while you still have it in Sketchup, delete the dome around the model, its bascally a skydome, but its no good in DS, once you find an obj export ruby for Sketchup, simply install it according to the instructions, you will have to search for that at the Sketchup site.

Once you have it exported as an obj, you will want to run it through Poseray, simply load into Poseray, then export the obj back into the same folder, which if you set it up right, when you exported the original obj out of Sketchup, it should have created a folder for the textures, your obj file, as well as your mtl file should be sitting outside that folder, you can simply place them into the texure folder for the that model, after you have exported the new obj out of Poseray, you can then simply import the model into DS, once you import the model into DS, you will notice that the textures aren't on the model, the colors are, but the textures aren't, use the surfaces tab in DS, and load them, with decent sketchup models, the texture file names in the surfaces tab and the texture files in your textures folder should be the same name, simply load the textures one at a time, once you are done with that, go back to the top surface window in the surfaces tab, and click on that, then to file, save as, materials preset, at that point, go ahead and create a folder for your preset, then you should be able to find it when you import the model again.

OK, well that sounds like more work than I'm willing to do, plus I don't have sketchup installed and really don't want to start another app when I haven't really scratched the surface of the ones I do have installed. Thanks for the info, though.

Dana

• equinoxx5equinoxx5 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

If it's any consolation, I didn't put in nearly that much work getting the station into DS. I exported the obj out of Sketchup, imported it straight into DS, textures and all. The only real fiddling I did was to turn down the ambient on the surfaces.

edited December 1969

equinoxx5 said:
    If it's any consolation, I didn't put in nearly that much work getting the station into DS. I exported the obj out of Sketchup, imported it straight into DS, textures and all. The only real fiddling I did was to turn down the ambient on the surfaces.

Maybe when I have the time to fiddle with something new, I'll get Sketchup and give it a shot. But I don't see that happening in the very near future. Thanks for the encouraging thought, though!

Dana

edited December 1969

equinoxx5 said:

This is true. I have the pro version so I can export in .3ds format and run it through Poseray and convert it to an .obj file. The advantage there is, with Poseray you can weld the vertices (click the "group" tab at the top), then recalculate the normals on a model with a single click. This will smooth out all the rounded parts of the model by splitting each poly into two. The outcome is very smooth, and the file size stays low.

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Here's another great model from Goldensim, the same guy who made the 56 Ford and the 59 Caddy, he also made the diner in this pic, its still available for download.

Just picked up the diner...nice model...thanks Betsy. Also got a few new cars. Many have been done with Sketchup 8, so I resave them as a Sketchup 7 file and open them in 7 to work with them.

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    The trophy in this pic is also one of Goldensim's models, nicely done up for his 59 Caddy contest a few years back.

Now THAT'S a real nice Caddy! I got his 1960 one, but I don't have that one. Just super nice...gotta link, or is it one of his downed ones?

• CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

Hey guys,

Nice renders and lots of information.

Update on my Windows 8 problems. I finally got Photoshop 5.5 to work. The reason it wouldn't open is because it was waiting on 2 programs...print spooler (which I wouldn't need because I don't have a printer hooked to the computer) and the system tray program for my wireless mouse. Disabled those and it started immediately. Now for UVMapper Pro. Sort of have it working but there is still a problem. I click to icon to run it and it just sits there, then after able 3 minutes, it will finally open. Not sure what's up with that.

edited December 1969

I think I know the problem with your UV Mapper......it's LAZY!

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    I think I know the problem with your UV Mapper......it's LAZY!

I was thinking that too but it worked great and opened fast on Windows 7....but slow to open on Windows 8. Haven't yet tracked down what's making it slow to open.

edited December 1969

Cherokee said:
    Hey guys,

Update on my Windows 8 problems. I finally got Photoshop 5.5 to work. The reason it wouldn't open is because it was waiting on 2 programs...print spooler (which I wouldn't need because I don't have a printer hooked to the computer) and the system tray program for my wireless mouse. Disabled those and it started immediately. Now for UVMapper Pro. Sort of have it working but there is still a problem. I click to icon to run it and it just sits there, then after able 3 minutes, it will finally open. Not sure what's up with that.

I had the same problem with Trainz TRS2006 when I first got Win7, it would take a few minutes for it to warm up to actually working properly, once it got going, it worked fine, and I was able to finish a lot of projects that I had to put on hold from a previous computer failure, so if you've got it working at all, then its probably just a Win8 glitch.

edited December 1969

The Nightwitch!

nightwitch.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 475K
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Cherokee said:
    Hey guys,

I had the same problem with Trainz TRS2006 when I first got Win7, it would take a few minutes for it to warm up to actually working properly, once it got going, it worked fine, and I was able to finish a lot of projects that I had to put on hold from a previous computer failure, so if you've got it working at all, then its probably just a Win8 glitch.

It works. On Windows 7 it would open immediately. On windows 8, I click the icon and it attempts to load and after 3 minutes, it finally does. While trying to open, the computer will freeze. Once it finally opens, it work just like normal. If I close it, I have to go through that entire process again to open it. It's definitely a Win8 glitch somewhere, just trying to track it down is the problem.

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    The Nightwitch!

She looks like a good reason to stay home at night! (bug eye emotie)

Dana

edited December 1969

Cherokee said:
    betsy662 said:
    Cherokee said:
    Hey guys,

It works. On Windows 7 it would open immediately. On windows 8, I click the icon and it attempts to load and after 3 minutes, it finally does. While trying to open, the computer will freeze. Once it finally opens, it work just like normal. If I close it, I have to go through that entire process again to open it. It's definitely a Win8 glitch somewhere, just trying to track it down is the problem.

I still have that problem with Blender if I try to open a large model file, it will freeze the computer and the program won't respond, once its open, it works fine, so it sounds like the program wasn't designed with Win8 in mind, the only thing I know to do is have patience till it opens and is fully functional, then just use it as normal!

• edited December 1969

windows 8 has a few issues with the older programs that were not viewed as needed ot important to the actual operations in a "non-cloud" format
    blender and uvmapper are being updated to work withing the idiocy of winblows8 and now even winblows8.1 but they will always be behind the corporate curve due to the costs involved

just slow down and dont bale the programmers for anyy software just yet its more in the hands of the seniles at microsoft while they decide if winblows will even be alive next year

but trust that blender will survive no matter what
    as will studio and poser
    and yes i am still around just been busy building a newer system

edited December 1969

Got UVMapper Pro working now. Never could find any error as to why it wasn't opening so I decided to check the Event Logs. It seems every time I ran the program, I'd see this in the event log... Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. Researched this on the net and finally ran across a solution to update the device driver. Updated the drivers for the hard drive and UVMapper Pro started working right away. So now, instead of taking 3 minutes to open, it now takes about 3 seconds.

edited December 1969

Cherokee said:
    Got UVMapper Pro working now. Never could find any error as to why it wasn't opening so I decided to check the Event Logs. It seems every time I ran the program, I'd see this in the event log... Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. Researched this on the net and finally ran across a solution to update the device driver. Updated the drivers for the hard drive and UVMapper Pro started working right away. So now, instead of taking 3 minutes to open, it now takes about 3 seconds.

So as it turns pit. its just another driver issue!

down_by_the_river.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 629K
    edited June 2013

betsy662 said:
    Cherokee said:

Yeah, it sure was and the driver that was updated was the driver that came with Windows 8.

Post edited by Cherokee on
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Cherokee said:

Very nice!

Dana

edited December 1969

I have been playing around with converting some cars I got from the 3d warehouse (Sketchup). Did a 1936 Buick gasser, a 1937 Terraplane gasser and a 1940 Ford Pickup. Got a bunch more. My Sketchup version 8 is limited because it is not the pro version, so I just use it to resave any SU8 cars to SU7, then open them in SU7 pro and convert them. The version 8 cars seem to handle textures better so resaving them also saves the textures and mat zones.

oh...nice color on the roadster Betsy...love it!

Glad you got it all working Cherokee.

edited June 2013

Here is a real nice find. I found this 1969 Dodge Charger RT over at one of the GTA sites. It is a new one just posted yesterday. It has one of the best meshes I've seen yet for this model charger. I had one in .obj format I got somewhere, but this one is much better. You can get it here:

http://www.gtainside.com/en/download.php?do=cat&id=133

Well worth the download and conversion. You know the process...lol.

Here ia a quick renders using DZFire's real paint shaders, and a standard blue chrome shader. All the rest are textures that came with the car. (Have to convert them to .tiffs of course as usual.) Real nice find I'd say.

70ChargerRT1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 255K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
This discussion has been closed.