• Daz 3D
  • Shop
  • 3D Software
    • Daz Studio Premier
    • Daz Studio
    • Install Manager
    • Exporters
    • Daz to Roblox
    • Daz to Maya
    • Daz to Blender
    • Daz to Unreal
    • Daz to Unity
    • Daz to 3ds Max
    • Daz to Cinema 4D
  • 3D Models
    • Genesis 9
    • Genesis 8.1
    • Free 3D Models
    • Game Ready
  • Community
    • Gallery
    • Forums
    • Blog
    • Press
    • Help
  • Memberships
    • Daz Premier
    • Daz Plus
    • Daz Base
    • Compare
  • AI Solutions
  • Download Studio
  • Menu
  • Daz 3D
  • Shop
  • 3d Software
    • Daz Studio Premier
    • Daz Studio
    • Install Manager
    • Exporters
    • Daz to Roblox
    • Daz to Maya
    • Daz to Blender
    • Daz to Unreal
    • Daz to Unity
    • Daz to 3ds Max
    • Daz to Cinema 4D
  • 3D Models
    • Genesis 9
    • Genesis 8.1
    • Free 3D Models
  • Community
    • Our Community
    • Gallery
    • Forums
    • Blog
    • Press
    • Help
  • Memberships
    • Daz Premier
    • Daz Plus
    • Daz Base
    • Compare
  • AI Solutions

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

Loading...
Daz 3D Forums > Search
  • My Lease Is Nearly Up On The Complaint Thread

    ...you don't by chance have a scale model of Devil's Tower in your dining room....do you? wink

    Kidding aside,  I used to mess around with model railroading (indoors N-Scale due to space limits).  Had a pretty nice cetup back when I was still in HS. which included a lot of Euorpean locomotive and carriage sets which I bought when I was over in Germany (the dollar was very strong back then and the duty free limit reasonably high). Actually had the full set of the TEE (Trans Europ Express) as well as various freight and loal passenger carriages and locomotives.  Yeah made for an "internationally eclectic" setup seeing DB trains running next to Union Pacific, Burlington, Penn Central, and Santa Fe.

    Unfortunately when I went off to college, younger members of the family relation got into it and pretty much most of it was either gone or broken.  Now I have plenty of time, but no space and no money as it has become quite an expensive hobby these days (especially considering the motors for N-gauge locomotives are almost akin to Swiss watch movements).

    Have you looked at Z Scale? Those suckers are tiny!

    By

    Petercat Petercat September 2016 in The Commons
  • My Lease Is Nearly Up On The Complaint Thread

    All these fancy nancy places with their long list of poofety type coffees.  I can rember when Mum and I would go shopping fopr coffee. We had to get the bus to the next town, as our little riverside town didn't have a shop that sold proper coffee.  So on the bus we would hop, cost us tuppence happenny each way to get there. In the big dept store we would go to the food hall and Mum would buy 2 or 3 packets of coffee beans. I forget which ones they were, it was a long time ago. 

    When we got back home Mum would then open one of the bags and after she had started dinner cookin she would get out the coffee grinder and grind up enough coffee beans to fill the thingy on the top of the percolator. (Do you rember percolators, the sort that sat on top of the stove)  You put the water in the pot, and the ground coffee in the thingy with holes in it, then put the lid on and put it on the cooker.  The water would bubble up the middle tube and go down through the coffee, you could stand a watch it getting darker and darker cos it had a little glass thingummy in the middle of the lid..  Took a while to brew properly.  That was coffee.

    I want one of those but really big... I make three gallons of coffee at a time, bottle it and refrigerate it... It lasts about two weeks and is less annoying then making it as I need it... I've been doing this for twenty years (friends think it's a little weird) and just last week I went into a grocery store and found several different brands of "premade" coffee in "convenient" 42 ounce bottle for four times the price of actual convenience... Maybe I'll make a giant percolator... That ought to be fun...

    I do the same . But cheaper. Three scoops of the cheapest generic coffee to make a pot, add cream and sugar, place in fridge. Add two more scoops of coffee, make another pot, do the same. 1/3 cup creamer and sugar per pot.

    Cuts my coffee cost by 16.666%, and my filter costs by 50%.

    Half gallon fruit juice bottles will hold a pot of coffee.

    I save the grounds to make dirt on model railroads. Used teas make nice vegetation, depending on type.

    That's cool and weirdly coincidental... (Not sure when I wrote my post... I don't pat attention to me, but...) yesterday I dumped a bunch of coffee (enough to make at least two gallons) into a two liter orange juice bottle and stuck it in the fridge with the intent of leaving it there for a couple of days until it just cold brewed itself out... I'll filter it out using first a steel mesh strainer and then one of those old fashioned cloth "socks"... But, it's good to know that works... Secondary coincidence... I too have used coffee grinds and tea leaves for scale dirt, fallen foliage and other special effects details. I've done a bunch of HO scale modules for people years ago... I moved from HO indoor to G scale (actually mostly 1/24 scale) outdoor modules with full landscaping... Some could weigh tons due to the dirt and concrete rockscaping... I actually still have what's left of a 30 ft x 30ft demo set in the far back of my yard... Sadly, it's been quite destroyed by a neighbor's contractor knocking down an large oak tree onto it, two hurricanes of damage and several million squirrel attacks... It was pretty cool, had a complex working irrigation and drainage system where the streets drained via actual sewers, full street and interior lighting, working streams and waterfalls, paved streets (real scale asphalt), dwarf trees, miniature plants and mosses, structures with full interior details with the actual buildings cast in a special thin set concrete, the some interiors had figures inside that were cast in elastomeric resins with separately made clothing (cut from a specally prepared polymer material that had scale draping and stretch characteristics)... The figures were each a project onto themselves as they were posable due to an internal flexible skeleton added to the mold before the resin was injected... People who were into this stuff would get blown away when I'd pick up a figure and reposition it from sitting to standing, because the figures didn't have weird action figure joints, but natural looking limbs... There wasn't much track (more or less point to point), and I myself only had one RC train to run on it as a demo, but I started to build an R34 style NYC subway car (and partially finish one station)... In addition to the trains I made 1/24 scale RC automobiles... Those were a pain because I had to fit all the guts under the hood and in the trunk, as I hate blacked out windows and partial interiors... I didn't make many of those... four or five maybe... The rechargeable batteries were crap back then and would barely last five minutes, less if I turned on the lights... It was pretty cool and lasted about ten years outside with basic maintenance, but when the idiot knocked the tree over on it, it created so many places where water could get into the interior structure that despite fixing everything, eventually water rotted out the electric system and substructure and several sections collapsed... I gave up on repairing it and when the economy tanked nobody wanted these kind of things anymore so I lost interest in constantly fixing it... Besides all that, what I charged as "hobbyist fees" was significantly different from my prototyping fees, so it really was barely worth it once the fun was gone... 

    I suppose the set could do a stand-in as a model of one of the nuked towns from Fallout 4 now... Megh, I get really annoyed when I talk about this... I should go check that coffee and see if it's anywhere near done... 

    ...you don't by chance have a scale model of Devil's Tower in your dining room....do you? wink

    Kidding aside,  I used to mess around with model railroading (indoors N-Scale due to space limits).  Had a pretty nice cetup back when I was still in HS. which included a lot of Euorpean locomotive and carriage sets which I bought when I was over in Germany (the dollar was very strong back then and the duty free limit reasonably high). Actually had the full set of the TEE (Trans Europ Express) as well as various freight and loal passenger carriages and locomotives.  Yeah made for an "internationally eclectic" setup seeing DB trains running next to Union Pacific, Burlington, Penn Central, and Santa Fe.

    Unfortunately when I went off to college, younger members of the family relation got into it and pretty much most of it was either gone or broken.  Now I have plenty of time, but no space and no money as it has become quite an expensive hobby these days (especially considering the motors for N-gauge locomotives are almost akin to Swiss watch movements).

    By

    kyoto kid kyoto kid September 2016 in The Commons
  • Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2016 - CLOSED

    Oh my goodness.. I've been bad this month... Busy with vacation.. Sorry all... Not sure why... but I've not been getting notices for new postings and the star IS highlighted... (sighs)

    Oh well.. I'm here now... Frantically working on my 12...

    Thanks Luci for fixing the 12.. and WOW.. it's awesome!  I DO remember that photo from the movie... (NO.. I'm not THAT old... :P)

    Linwelly... 12 fireflies... GIANT... but I sees'em... lol.  Our yard looks like that some nights... little flashes of light... Some day I'm going to photograph them with a long exposure on my camera...but... I've been saying that for years... and never do.  (adds one more thing on her TO DO list)  Thanks for sharing!

    And... Simon.. Simon.. Simon... Ya know what I'm gonna type.. right?????  Where's the Kittehhhhhhh?????  lol.  I must admit ya did git a chuckle out of me :)  Well done!  (even without the kitteh)  lol  Glad you were able to muster up a render this month... (claps)  Be well!

    Hugzzzzzzzzzz one and all.. I'm just about finishing mine.. I'll have it posted before tomorrow ends... come hell or high water!

    September is FIVE (5)... A little easier... Time to start thinking... But remember.. don't post til the 1st please... It will throw off my render if ya do... :P  I know.. I know.. I'm late!

    And you know what I'm gonna say, right?  Look at the central cake stand, just to the left of sackboy, then look up - see what is there?  You can zoom in to be sure (it's quite a big image) smiley

    <---- cleans her glasses.. I think I see the little fuzzball... YAY... kitteh!!!!  (sheesh.. I DID have to zoom though)  mew :)

    I had to log in to see it, won't let you see the image in it's posted size, unless logged in, just the little Attactment size. unless they add the image to the text, then I can see full size without logging in

    I believe that is normal, at least it is the same for me

    By

    Linwelly Linwelly September 2016 in Art Studio
  • Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2016 - CLOSED

    Oh my goodness.. I've been bad this month... Busy with vacation.. Sorry all... Not sure why... but I've not been getting notices for new postings and the star IS highlighted... (sighs)

    Oh well.. I'm here now... Frantically working on my 12...

    Thanks Luci for fixing the 12.. and WOW.. it's awesome!  I DO remember that photo from the movie... (NO.. I'm not THAT old... :P)

    Linwelly... 12 fireflies... GIANT... but I sees'em... lol.  Our yard looks like that some nights... little flashes of light... Some day I'm going to photograph them with a long exposure on my camera...but... I've been saying that for years... and never do.  (adds one more thing on her TO DO list)  Thanks for sharing!

    And... Simon.. Simon.. Simon... Ya know what I'm gonna type.. right?????  Where's the Kittehhhhhhh?????  lol.  I must admit ya did git a chuckle out of me :)  Well done!  (even without the kitteh)  lol  Glad you were able to muster up a render this month... (claps)  Be well!

    Hugzzzzzzzzzz one and all.. I'm just about finishing mine.. I'll have it posted before tomorrow ends... come hell or high water!

    September is FIVE (5)... A little easier... Time to start thinking... But remember.. don't post til the 1st please... It will throw off my render if ya do... :P  I know.. I know.. I'm late!

    And you know what I'm gonna say, right?  Look at the central cake stand, just to the left of sackboy, then look up - see what is there?  You can zoom in to be sure (it's quite a big image) smiley

    <---- cleans her glasses.. I think I see the little fuzzball... YAY... kitteh!!!!  (sheesh.. I DID have to zoom though)  mew :)

    I had to log in to see it, won't let you see the image in it's posted size, unless logged in, just the little Attactment size. unless they add the image to the text, then I can see full size without logging in

    By

    XaatXuun XaatXuun September 2016 in Art Studio
  • DSON
     

    Facts:  I'm running Windows 10 with DazStudio 4.9 and Poser 11.  I want to be able to access the newer materials from DAZ in Poser because I want to export to Vue 2015.  Anyt help would be appreciated.  Library in DAZ no longer has a central runtime.

    By any chance Bigbear from FW?   If so long time no see ...

    Did you manage with the tips Richard Haseltine gave you? As said you also need to install the pcf (poser companion file). They contain the info that DSON needs to create the poser compatible 'stuff'. The materials by the way are poser materials. No DS materials are used in poser, so no 'new materials' from DS to Poser/Vue.....

    By

    glaseye glaseye August 2016 in New Users
  • Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2016 - CLOSED

    Oh my goodness.. I've been bad this month... Busy with vacation.. Sorry all... Not sure why... but I've not been getting notices for new postings and the star IS highlighted... (sighs)

    Oh well.. I'm here now... Frantically working on my 12...

    Thanks Luci for fixing the 12.. and WOW.. it's awesome!  I DO remember that photo from the movie... (NO.. I'm not THAT old... :P)

    Linwelly... 12 fireflies... GIANT... but I sees'em... lol.  Our yard looks like that some nights... little flashes of light... Some day I'm going to photograph them with a long exposure on my camera...but... I've been saying that for years... and never do.  (adds one more thing on her TO DO list)  Thanks for sharing!

    And... Simon.. Simon.. Simon... Ya know what I'm gonna type.. right?????  Where's the Kittehhhhhhh?????  lol.  I must admit ya did git a chuckle out of me :)  Well done!  (even without the kitteh)  lol  Glad you were able to muster up a render this month... (claps)  Be well!

    Hugzzzzzzzzzz one and all.. I'm just about finishing mine.. I'll have it posted before tomorrow ends... come hell or high water!

    September is FIVE (5)... A little easier... Time to start thinking... But remember.. don't post til the 1st please... It will throw off my render if ya do... :P  I know.. I know.. I'm late!

    And you know what I'm gonna say, right?  Look at the central cake stand, just to the left of sackboy, then look up - see what is there?  You can zoom in to be sure (it's quite a big image) smiley

    Gosh, there is a cat in there.. didn't see it before either. And that made me laugh, never seen so expressive apostrophes before surprise

    Jumps up and down... see .. seee..... I'm not the only one that needed to clean my glasses :P  purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  lol

    By

    Llola Lane Llola Lane August 2016 in Art Studio
  • Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2016 - CLOSED

    Oh my goodness.. I've been bad this month... Busy with vacation.. Sorry all... Not sure why... but I've not been getting notices for new postings and the star IS highlighted... (sighs)

    Oh well.. I'm here now... Frantically working on my 12...

    Thanks Luci for fixing the 12.. and WOW.. it's awesome!  I DO remember that photo from the movie... (NO.. I'm not THAT old... :P)

    Linwelly... 12 fireflies... GIANT... but I sees'em... lol.  Our yard looks like that some nights... little flashes of light... Some day I'm going to photograph them with a long exposure on my camera...but... I've been saying that for years... and never do.  (adds one more thing on her TO DO list)  Thanks for sharing!

    And... Simon.. Simon.. Simon... Ya know what I'm gonna type.. right?????  Where's the Kittehhhhhhh?????  lol.  I must admit ya did git a chuckle out of me :)  Well done!  (even without the kitteh)  lol  Glad you were able to muster up a render this month... (claps)  Be well!

    Hugzzzzzzzzzz one and all.. I'm just about finishing mine.. I'll have it posted before tomorrow ends... come hell or high water!

    September is FIVE (5)... A little easier... Time to start thinking... But remember.. don't post til the 1st please... It will throw off my render if ya do... :P  I know.. I know.. I'm late!

    And you know what I'm gonna say, right?  Look at the central cake stand, just to the left of sackboy, then look up - see what is there?  You can zoom in to be sure (it's quite a big image) smiley

    <---- cleans her glasses.. I think I see the little fuzzball... YAY... kitteh!!!!  (sheesh.. I DID have to zoom though)  mew :)

    By

    Llola Lane Llola Lane August 2016 in Art Studio
  • Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2016 - CLOSED

    Oh my goodness.. I've been bad this month... Busy with vacation.. Sorry all... Not sure why... but I've not been getting notices for new postings and the star IS highlighted... (sighs)

    Oh well.. I'm here now... Frantically working on my 12...

    Thanks Luci for fixing the 12.. and WOW.. it's awesome!  I DO remember that photo from the movie... (NO.. I'm not THAT old... :P)

    Linwelly... 12 fireflies... GIANT... but I sees'em... lol.  Our yard looks like that some nights... little flashes of light... Some day I'm going to photograph them with a long exposure on my camera...but... I've been saying that for years... and never do.  (adds one more thing on her TO DO list)  Thanks for sharing!

    And... Simon.. Simon.. Simon... Ya know what I'm gonna type.. right?????  Where's the Kittehhhhhhh?????  lol.  I must admit ya did git a chuckle out of me :)  Well done!  (even without the kitteh)  lol  Glad you were able to muster up a render this month... (claps)  Be well!

    Hugzzzzzzzzzz one and all.. I'm just about finishing mine.. I'll have it posted before tomorrow ends... come hell or high water!

    September is FIVE (5)... A little easier... Time to start thinking... But remember.. don't post til the 1st please... It will throw off my render if ya do... :P  I know.. I know.. I'm late!

    And you know what I'm gonna say, right?  Look at the central cake stand, just to the left of sackboy, then look up - see what is there?  You can zoom in to be sure (it's quite a big image) smiley

    Gosh, there is a cat in there.. didn't see it before either. And that made me laugh, never seen so expressive apostrophes before surprise

    They can be quite expressive, unless they fall into a comma ... ;)

    Lol... now I would like to questionmark that...

    By

    Linwelly Linwelly August 2016 in Art Studio
  • Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2016 - CLOSED

    Oh my goodness.. I've been bad this month... Busy with vacation.. Sorry all... Not sure why... but I've not been getting notices for new postings and the star IS highlighted... (sighs)

    Oh well.. I'm here now... Frantically working on my 12...

    Thanks Luci for fixing the 12.. and WOW.. it's awesome!  I DO remember that photo from the movie... (NO.. I'm not THAT old... :P)

    Linwelly... 12 fireflies... GIANT... but I sees'em... lol.  Our yard looks like that some nights... little flashes of light... Some day I'm going to photograph them with a long exposure on my camera...but... I've been saying that for years... and never do.  (adds one more thing on her TO DO list)  Thanks for sharing!

    And... Simon.. Simon.. Simon... Ya know what I'm gonna type.. right?????  Where's the Kittehhhhhhh?????  lol.  I must admit ya did git a chuckle out of me :)  Well done!  (even without the kitteh)  lol  Glad you were able to muster up a render this month... (claps)  Be well!

    Hugzzzzzzzzzz one and all.. I'm just about finishing mine.. I'll have it posted before tomorrow ends... come hell or high water!

    September is FIVE (5)... A little easier... Time to start thinking... But remember.. don't post til the 1st please... It will throw off my render if ya do... :P  I know.. I know.. I'm late!

    And you know what I'm gonna say, right?  Look at the central cake stand, just to the left of sackboy, then look up - see what is there?  You can zoom in to be sure (it's quite a big image) smiley

    Gosh, there is a cat in there.. didn't see it before either. And that made me laugh, never seen so expressive apostrophes before surprise

    They can be quite expressive, unless they fall into a comma ... ;)

    By

    SimonJM SimonJM August 2016 in Art Studio
  • Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2016 - CLOSED

    Oh my goodness.. I've been bad this month... Busy with vacation.. Sorry all... Not sure why... but I've not been getting notices for new postings and the star IS highlighted... (sighs)

    Oh well.. I'm here now... Frantically working on my 12...

    Thanks Luci for fixing the 12.. and WOW.. it's awesome!  I DO remember that photo from the movie... (NO.. I'm not THAT old... :P)

    Linwelly... 12 fireflies... GIANT... but I sees'em... lol.  Our yard looks like that some nights... little flashes of light... Some day I'm going to photograph them with a long exposure on my camera...but... I've been saying that for years... and never do.  (adds one more thing on her TO DO list)  Thanks for sharing!

    And... Simon.. Simon.. Simon... Ya know what I'm gonna type.. right?????  Where's the Kittehhhhhhh?????  lol.  I must admit ya did git a chuckle out of me :)  Well done!  (even without the kitteh)  lol  Glad you were able to muster up a render this month... (claps)  Be well!

    Hugzzzzzzzzzz one and all.. I'm just about finishing mine.. I'll have it posted before tomorrow ends... come hell or high water!

    September is FIVE (5)... A little easier... Time to start thinking... But remember.. don't post til the 1st please... It will throw off my render if ya do... :P  I know.. I know.. I'm late!

    And you know what I'm gonna say, right?  Look at the central cake stand, just to the left of sackboy, then look up - see what is there?  You can zoom in to be sure (it's quite a big image) smiley

    Gosh, there is a cat in there.. didn't see it before either. And that made me laugh, never seen so expressive apostrophes before surprise

    By

    Linwelly Linwelly August 2016 in Art Studio
  • Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2016 - CLOSED

    Oh my goodness.. I've been bad this month... Busy with vacation.. Sorry all... Not sure why... but I've not been getting notices for new postings and the star IS highlighted... (sighs)

    Oh well.. I'm here now... Frantically working on my 12...

    Thanks Luci for fixing the 12.. and WOW.. it's awesome!  I DO remember that photo from the movie... (NO.. I'm not THAT old... :P)

    Linwelly... 12 fireflies... GIANT... but I sees'em... lol.  Our yard looks like that some nights... little flashes of light... Some day I'm going to photograph them with a long exposure on my camera...but... I've been saying that for years... and never do.  (adds one more thing on her TO DO list)  Thanks for sharing!

    And... Simon.. Simon.. Simon... Ya know what I'm gonna type.. right?????  Where's the Kittehhhhhhh?????  lol.  I must admit ya did git a chuckle out of me :)  Well done!  (even without the kitteh)  lol  Glad you were able to muster up a render this month... (claps)  Be well!

    Hugzzzzzzzzzz one and all.. I'm just about finishing mine.. I'll have it posted before tomorrow ends... come hell or high water!

    September is FIVE (5)... A little easier... Time to start thinking... But remember.. don't post til the 1st please... It will throw off my render if ya do... :P  I know.. I know.. I'm late!

    And you know what I'm gonna say, right?  Look at the central cake stand, just to the left of sackboy, then look up - see what is there?  You can zoom in to be sure (it's quite a big image) smiley

    By

    SimonJM SimonJM August 2016 in Art Studio
  • Building Carrara Terrains Intro
    [cut ccj]

    In the image to the right, the main Woodlands Promo, I used a white infinite plane and placed the central ground as the main point, placed it so that the white plane shows where water flows if the water isn't turned off.

    All of the custom plants that come with the set are placed out in front of that.

    The stacks of cards behind it are models of cardboard RPG-style gaming tiles that I made for each of the scene presets.

    Next to them, to the right, are the smaller chunks of terrain which are populated by hand.

    The next size up isn't done in the same scale as these game pieces and is to the left behind the box. That one includes the new berries I included in the form of wild cranberry trees, along with other shrubs as well as the rest of the trees and deadwood and such.

    The big one in the very back to the right looks a LOT SMALLER in this image than what it really is. I love that piece but it can slow down the performance of the working view after duplicating it a few times! To avoid that sluggness, I just set the replicator to not show in 3d view. Bang... zippy fast control resumes! ;)

    [cut ccj]

    Thanks for the very clear details. I really must remember to grab Woodland Realms next time it's on sale or I have a few extra $s. I'd watched "Building a scene (using Daz3d Palenque Ruins) in Woodlands" long ago... probably the "Getting Started with Woodlands" also... bookmarked both to help me remember more often how badly I want it... already, long ago, added to my wishlist.

    Speaking of not showing in "3d view"... I've lately been using it or checking the 'visible' box... both are invaluable. I thought about that for a terrain that I, you or anyone creates which is only for background. Hmm... first set up camera angle... next hide/make visible... probably at some point load in a temporary backdrop image and temporary infinite plane or just a large plane for quick renders... finally go to town on the main smaller terrain.

    Oh... and I also like to use the atmospheric fog from the Realistic Sky Editor!

    Probably why your scenes always look *very* good.

    OT: In your posts... how do you get text next to a pic?  I'm thinking that you might be using the table function but probably wrong... tried in my earlier post here without using table with no luck.

    Back on topic... This is a great thread for anyone having questions/problems with the Terrain Editor and anything related to it!

    By

    wgdjohn wgdjohn August 2016 in Carrara Discussion
  • DSON

    I'm going absolutely crazy here.  Installed DSON made sure all of the Gen, Gen2 and Gen3 basic files are in a directory labeled genesis starter essentials.  Can't find a usable runtime from within Poser 11. 

    Facts:  I'm running Windows 10 with DazStudio 4.9 and Poser 11.  I want to be able to access the newer materials from DAZ in Poser because I want to export to Vue 2015.  Anyt help would be appreciated.  Library in DAZ no longer has a central runtime.

    By

    Bigbear001 Bigbear001 August 2016 in New Users
  • Building Carrara Terrains Intro

    Oh yes! The Replicator is a lot more useful for certain things than the surface replicator, which is altogether more useful for following uneven landscapes.

    Like placing things on flat surfaces... bam. More control with how they're (replications) are placed!

    Also...

    Thank Phil! I've never tried seemless replications before... gonna have to try that!!!

    Also...

    For 'hiding' the distant transition between sky and ground, I love the ability to make a giant terrain piece, where I darken the center of the map so it goes below my main, central landscape - which will have much more detail - especially in the textures. That's how I made the EnvironKits. Two large background terrains are there... but the one that's a lot smaller and closer to the camera is set to invisible by default. 

    So I have a huge bit of terrain surrounding the whole scene, yet deep enough in the center to run way below my central area. This works great (for me) because now, if I use water, I have a floor - even if I don't model one separately.

    Now I work out my central piece, which I like to be nice and flat all around the camera area for ease of walk cycles, building placements, etc.,

    I spent many days, many hours each day, getting that part just the way I finally liked it.

    Now I make smaller pieces that I can use to rough up that flat area if I want to. Intersting thing about that was that I could populate those smaller pieces with plant life (and death) using hand placement of everything, and then those whole groups can be duplicated, rotated, translated... I found that to be a lot more controllable than replicating everything.

    I made a larger chunk for adding height in the near backgrounds, but they're detailed enough to bring into the foreground with the rest of the main scene. That one uses a replicator. Lately I've been duplicating that replicator, and choosing: "Create New" in the dialog, so that I can have tress much closer - a lot more dense and populated - making for an excellent backdrop of dense forest! ;)

    In the image to the right, the main Woodlands Promo, I used a white infinite plane and placed the central ground as the main point, placed it so that the white plane shows where water flows if the water isn't turned off.

    All of the custom plants that come with the set are placed out in front of that.

    The stacks of cards behind it are models of cardboard RPG-style gaming tiles that I made for each of the scene presets.

    Next to them, to the right, are the smaller chunks of terrain which are populated by hand.

    The next size up isn't done in the same scale as these game pieces and is to the left behind the box. That one includes the new berries I included in the form of wild cranberry trees, along with other shrubs as well as the rest of the trees and deadwood and such.

    The big one in the very back to the right looks a LOT SMALLER in this image than what it really is. I love that piece but it can slow down the preformance of the working view after duplicating it a few times! To avoid that sluggness, I just set the replicator to now show in 3d view. Bang... zippy fast control resumes! ;)

    Here's my initial instruction videos on Woodlands:

    Getting Started with Woodlands

    Building a scene (using Daz3d Palenque Ruins) in Woodlands

    By

    Dartanbeck Dartanbeck August 2016 in Carrara Discussion
  • Need help with settings of Iray

    Hi Szark,

     

    of cause several thousands of iterations result in a high quality render. The question is, how long needs the render engine. This depends on the hardware, but most of all on the scene itself.

    I had an interior scene with only some sunlight entering through the windows. After a full night (over 12 hours) it reached around 20%, but only that little grainy so I could accept it.
    That's the central point: It mostly depends on the type of light sources. The more indirect light flow, the (way) longer it takes.
    And indirect light flow includes emissive areas as lights and even spotlights using an area capacity. That's what you often use to have softer shadows / lights.

    By

    AndyS AndyS August 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion
  • Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

    morning coffee and render viewing fix..... 

    By

    Stezza Stezza August 2016 in Carrara Discussion
  • DAZ fire your Ad People

    I was in a supermarket the other day. On the shelf was a kitchen utensil for shredding cheese. The sign was in big bold letters. GATER. I think mistakes like this often result from people being expected to do to much for too little pay. Which has been happening in this country for decades. We've just about concluded our race to the bottom.

    A local grocery chain has, as an overhead product locator sign, "Can juice, Glass, juice, Fruit juice". First question is how anyone could juice a can or glass jar; second question is who would want to purchase the result.

    A cultural phenom that North American grocery stores were faced with is some Central and South American counties is the label often shows what's inside the can. So a trip down the cat food and dog food isle can be an eye opening experience for some shoppers..

    By

    StratDragon StratDragon August 2016 in The Commons
  • Carrara to Sketchfab (FBX and OBJ issues)

    Interesting.

    I just tried that with unusual results.

    When I import the fbx to Sketchfab the mesh is great but all the component parts are on top of each other in the centre

    When I import the fbx to DAZ, everything is in the right place but the mesh is corrupted

    When import the fbx back into Carrara, the mesh is corrupted and the component parts are in the wrong position but not all central.

    Bt corrupted I mean that the mesh has large triangular polygons that reflect light poorly. A good mesh is totally smooth.

    Hmmmm

    By

    keithg keithg August 2016 in Carrara Discussion
  • Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

    I can't keep up.... olympic proportions here -- awesome stuff 

     

    By

    Stezza Stezza August 2016 in Carrara Discussion
  • TangoAlpha's Coming Soon: End of the Track [Commercial]

    Thanks Howie, and there could be a bank interior addon for it soon (complete with vault, gold, deposit boxes, manager's office, agent stations etc) - subject to enough interest and it being accepted.

    WIP, not final textures.

     

    What you have given so far is perfect. Although I already have furnishings and vaults from other artists to put in this building and other buildings (different time period), I am willing to add your furnishings too. Either to this or to the other buildings such as Maclean's The Center. Perhaps the ticket booth of Central Station. I like to mix and match artists works. As long as I can greenscreen live actors in, either behind an object or in front, I am happy with it. I have three different vaults so far, so its good enough to suggest there is the vault with safe deposit boxes behind a door. Props maybe such as pen on wire secured to the table or calendar or toaster with each new account. Paper deposit slip or withdrawal slip in the table to write it on. Oh and a tiny deposit book or passbook (I'll take a photo of one from the 1920s and post it if needed). 1970s stuff. Curious to see what you come up with.

    By

    Barefoot Upto My Soul Barefoot Upto My Soul August 2016 in Daz PA Commercial Products
Previous Next
Adding to Cart…

Daz 3D is part of Tafi

Connect

DAZ Productions, Inc.
7533 S Center View Ct #4664
West Jordan, UT 84084

HELP

Contact Us

Tutorials

Help Center

Sell Your 3D Content

Affiliate Program

Documentation Center

Open Source

Consent Preferences

JOIN DAZ

Memberships

Blog

About Us

Press

Careers

Bridges

Community

In the Studio

Gallery

Forum

DAZ STORE

Shop

Freebies

Published Artists

Licensing Agreement | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | EULA

© 2026 Daz Productions Inc. All Rights Reserved.