-
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settings
^ that works provided you import to daz at 100%
Superheroes Rebooted - Renders Assembletyra_oeildeloup said:
I need some advices, what products would you use to make this outfit for Magik / Illyana Rasputin ?
Here's my kitchbashed version. I modeled the headpiece and sword. Everything else is for V4. I can't identify all the parts because once I import them into Carrara the names change.
V4SuperGloves, Top: PowerGirl Suit (freebie from somewhere), Amber Hair, Shoulder pads are called ArmArmor, Casual Shorts, Belt is a a Joe Quick freebie, I think.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsRichard Haseltine said:
lilweep said:
Richard Haseltine said:
You don't need to calculate the scales - just use 1 in Blender, save a preset (if you aren't using an existing one) in the OBJ Export dialogue in DS, and make sure you use the same preset on import or morph loading - DS will then handle all the needed adjustments for you.
If you arent using an existing preset, i think you will have to save the Export preset and then also have saved a corresponding Import preset for it separately.
But thats only if you are using custom preset. I guess there are already so many existing default presets where 1 unit = 1m (e.g., the 3DSMax one), so no need to make a custom one for Blender anyway
No, you save the preset from either the export or an import and DS will then invert it correctly to go in the other direction.
oh i have several old and new export presets saved but they dont show up for me in import dialogue box as options
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingslilweep said:
Richard Haseltine said:
You don't need to calculate the scales - just use 1 in Blender, save a preset (if you aren't using an existing one) in the OBJ Export dialogue in DS, and make sure you use the same preset on import or morph loading - DS will then handle all the needed adjustments for you.
If you arent using an existing preset, i think you will have to save the Export preset and then also have saved a corresponding Import preset for it separately.
But thats only if you are using custom preset. I guess there are already so many existing default presets where 1 unit = 1m (e.g., the 3DSMax one), so no need to make a custom one for Blender anyway
No, you save the preset from either the export or an import and DS will then invert it correctly to go in the other direction.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsRichard Haseltine said:
You don't need to calculate the scales - just use 1 in Blender, save a preset (if you aren't using an existing one) in the OBJ Export dialogue in DS, and make sure you use the same preset on import or morph loading - DS will then handle all the needed adjustments for you.
If you arent using an existing preset, i think you will have to save the Export preset and then also have saved a corresponding Import preset for it separately.
But thats only if you are using custom preset. I guess there are already so many existing default presets where 1 unit = 1m (e.g., the 3DSMax one), so no need to make a custom one for Blender anyway
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsRichard Haseltine said:
You don't need to calculate the scales - just use 1 in Blender, save a preset (if you aren't using an existing one) in the OBJ Export dialogue in DS, and make sure you use the same preset on import or morph loading - DS will then handle all the needed adjustments for you.
There you go - I thought that was what I was doing. I do set my DAZ export scale to 1 [EDIT - sorry I see you said in Blender] as you can see in the screen shots above. It works for the Blender Legacy OBJ import/exporter but not for the new one. As for import back to DS, I do that using Morph Loader Pro and I don't touch anything to do with scale (leave it at 100%). However, as you can also see from my screen shots, in the Blender Legacy export I have the scale set to 100 (not sure whether that is default or not as I am not at my PC right now). So are you saying this should work for the new Blender import/export?
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsYou don't need to calculate the scales - just use 1 in Blender, save a preset (if you aren't using an existing one) in the OBJ Export dialogue in DS, and make sure you use the same preset on import or morph loading - DS will then handle all the needed adjustments for you.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsremember, daz interprets size units as centimetres, whereas blender thinks size units are in metres.
if you dont adjust scale on export (i.e., if you use default settings), then your 200cm daz figure is going to turn into a 200m giant in blender. but if you export the 200m giant from blender, it will still be written as 200 size units and therefore will be read as 200cm when bringing back to daz. this is why you dont need to adjust scale on export and import from daz and blender when making morphs. so you can just use default settings.
if however you want to bring your daz figure into blender and have it respect blender scale, then that is when you have to divide by 100 (to convert cm to m). 200cm become 2m. but then if you save out your character from blender without reconverting m to cm, 2m will be written as 2 size units, which daz would interpret as only 2cm so your daz figure will be an ant.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsIn your attachments you showed that you exported out of DS at 1% (similar to what I do).
If you then want to import the same object you have just exported bck into DS (no blender involved) then you must set the import to 10000% if th object shall be the same size as when it was imported.
If you have an object of 1 m, and export it at 1% it will be 0.01 m exported. So when you import it you have to scale it to 10000% in order to get it back to 1m.
The scenarie of export and reimport, could be if you wanted to make a morph based on a dForce simulation.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsfelis said:
@Marble try to export an object out of DS and then import it again, right away.
If you export at 1% you have to import it at 10000% if you want to have the same size imported as when exported.
And be aware that the object import settings are different from the morph loader import settings.
I just don't get the logic in any of that, I'm sorry for being so thick on this. If I export an OBJ from DS and then import it again without going via Blender, why should the scale change? Or do you mean to include Blender in the process but just not create a morph? If so, is the 10000% a DAZ Import setting or a Blender Export setting? If it is DAZ, then what is Blender export set to? 100? Which translates to 10,000% in DAZ Studio?
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settings@Marble try to export an object out of DS and then import it again, right away.
If you export at 1% you have to import it at 10000% if you want to have the same size imported as when exported.
And be aware that the object import settings are different from the morph loader import settings.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingslilweep said:
marble said:
felis said:
I am using the new blender obj im/exporter, and that is working fine.
In and out of blender I use scale 1, so it is consistent.
Out of DS I export at 1% like @Marble, but my import is 10000%, so locally DS is also consistent (so if I export and reimport the same obj, it will be unchanged).
So your Blender export scale is 10,000% ?? Wow... I didn't expect that. I'll try that later but what I don't get is the fact Morph Loader Pro imports without error but instead of the morph being applied, all that happens is the scale is changed by the morph slider. I don't see any sign that the actual morph shape is being applied as well.
is that surprising? if you export from daz at 1% then at some point you need to multiply by 100 to get it back to 100% in daz studio.
so you would need to multiply the default 100% by 100 i.e., 10000% to get back into daz at correct scale. btw blender uses decimal notation (so 1.0 is 100%) so to export at 10000% would be 100.0 scale in decimal notation.
anyway, hope you realise you dont have to bring your exported obj into daz via morph loader pro, you can just visualise what it looks like by bringing it into daz as an obj prop and see if your morph is applied and what its scale is.
we have to take your word for whats happening since no screenshot or description of settings were provided.
Is it a problem taking my word? Why would I lie? What a strange comment.
As for the maths - I'm just hopeless. Even as you explain it I have trouble following. So 10000% is really 100? Right, ok.
Thankfully Blender still has the so-called "Legacy" OBJ import/export so I'm not really hampered. I was just interested to know if anyone had managed to use the new one.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsmarble said:
felis said:
I am using the new blender obj im/exporter, and that is working fine.
In and out of blender I use scale 1, so it is consistent.
Out of DS I export at 1% like @Marble, but my import is 10000%, so locally DS is also consistent (so if I export and reimport the same obj, it will be unchanged).
So your Blender export scale is 10,000% ?? Wow... I didn't expect that. I'll try that later but what I don't get is the fact Morph Loader Pro imports without error but instead of the morph being applied, all that happens is the scale is changed by the morph slider. I don't see any sign that the actual morph shape is being applied as well.
is that surprising? if you export from daz at 1% then at some point you need to multiply by 100 to get it back to 100% in daz studio.
so you would need to multiply the default 100% by 100 i.e., 10000% to get back into daz at correct scale. btw blender uses decimal notation (so 1.0 is 100%) so to export at 10000% would be 100.0 scale in decimal notation.
anyway, hope you realise you dont have to bring your exported obj into daz via morph loader pro, you can just visualise what it looks like by bringing it into daz as an obj prop and see if your morph is applied and what its scale is.
we have to take your word for whats happening since no screenshot or description of settings were provided.
Postgre, CMS, SSD & MacTotte said:
Loser said:
I'm at my complete wits end, I'm so frustrated. I reinstalled all my content onto a new Mac but now I have the gd'd postgre, cms location issues with trying to transfer everything to an SSD since the space is a joke on this laptop. I'm honestly at a loss, everything I've looked up and tried is a complete failure. Please help me. Let's dumb it down and keep it basic because computer literate I am not. I need basic bish set up instructions. I'll uninstall the whole gd thing and all the content if I have to.
Please just help me.
My setup on my main mac, a macStudio is:
- Applications in default location
- All Content Libraries (I have several, one main from DAZ, and one third party, one for freebees, and a bunch of my own special), all located on two external SSD drives via USB-C/Thunderbolt 3
My secondary machine (macPro2014):
- Applications in default location
- All Content Libraries located on one external Thunderbolt drive
My old machines (macPros 2012):
- Applications in default location
- All Content Libraries located on internal drives.
You can do this two ways:
(1) On Fresh Install via DIM, create a directory and tell DIM that that is the installation content dir, and delete the old one and remove it from DIM
(2) Copy the old content library, then reset the CMS and reimport metadataHope this helps
Few questions:
Does the order of install make any difference?
Should I install Daz & DIM & Postgre-whatever directly onto the Mac and put the content onto my external(s)?
Default install for DIM is directly onto the "Application" folder (as you know). This also separates the "App Support folders" into
Mac HD > Users > Name > Library *Hidden Folder* > Application Support > DAZ 3D
which contains the DIM install files.In DIM: Changing the directory
That's going to the gear in the top right, advanced settings, right?
Is there any special thing I need to do in the Daz software under 'Prefrences'?I'm going to try and reinstall this whole nightmare once I get some clarification so I can't mess things up for the 7th time.
I am so tired -_-Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsfelis said:
I am using the new blender obj im/exporter, and that is working fine.
In and out of blender I use scale 1, so it is consistent.
Out of DS I export at 1% like @Marble, but my import is 10000%, so locally DS is also consistent (so if I export and reimport the same obj, it will be unchanged).
So your Blender export scale is 10,000% ?? Wow... I didn't expect that. I'll try that later but what I don't get is the fact Morph Loader Pro imports without error but instead of the morph being applied, all that happens is the scale is changed by the morph slider. I don't see any sign that the actual morph shape is being applied as well.
content confusionUninstall it, using the emthod you used to install. If it was manual then you will need to find and remove the files, and clear any metadata assigned or imported for the item.
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsI am using the new blender obj im/exporter, and that is working fine.
In and out of blender I use scale 1, so it is consistent.
Out of DS I export at 1% like @Marble, but my import is 10000%, so locally DS is also consistent (so if I export and reimport the same obj, it will be unchanged).
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsI did say leaving everything default scale (100% or 1.0 scale) works as tested with 3.3.
Given that this also worked with legacy blender importer exporter, I'm assuming rescaling on import export should work the same too.
Postgre, CMS, SSD & MacLoser said:
I'm at my complete wits end, I'm so frustrated. I reinstalled all my content onto a new Mac but now I have the gd'd postgre, cms location issues with trying to transfer everything to an SSD since the space is a joke on this laptop. I'm honestly at a loss, everything I've looked up and tried is a complete failure. Please help me. Let's dumb it down and keep it basic because computer literate I am not. I need basic bish set up instructions. I'll uninstall the whole gd thing and all the content if I have to.
Please just help me.
My setup on my main mac, a macStudio is:
- Applications in default location
- All Content Libraries (I have several, one main from DAZ, and one third party, one for freebees, and a bunch of my own special), all located on two external SSD drives via USB-C/Thunderbolt 3
My secondary machine (macPro2014):
- Applications in default location
- All Content Libraries located on one external Thunderbolt drive
My old machines (macPros 2012):
- Applications in default location
- All Content Libraries located on internal drives.
You can do this two ways:
(1) On Fresh Install via DIM, create a directory and tell DIM that that is the installation content dir, and delete the old one and remove it from DIM
(2) Copy the old content library, then reset the CMS and reimport metadataHope this helps
Blender 3.4 Import/Export OBJ settingsfelis said:
The attached images are what is working.
But what settings do you use that is not working?
Well, I left the DAZ side the same and the new Blender OBJ import at default other than trying different scaling. As I said above, I also tried it with Vertex Group checked and un-checked. I'm assuming that nobody has it working yet otherwise I would have hoped someone would post their settings as I asked in my OP.






