• Daz 3D
  • Shop
  • 3D Software
    • Daz Studio Premier
    • Daz Studio
    • Install Manager
    • Exporters
    • Daz to Roblox
    • Daz to Maya
    • Daz to Blender
    • Daz to Unreal
    • Daz to Unity
    • Daz to 3ds Max
    • Daz to Cinema 4D
  • 3D Models
    • Genesis 9
    • Genesis 8.1
    • Free 3D Models
    • Game Ready
  • Community
    • Gallery
    • Forums
    • Blog
    • Press
    • Help
  • Memberships
    • Daz Premier
    • Daz Plus
    • Daz Base
    • Compare
  • AI Solutions
  • Download Studio
  • Menu
  • Daz 3D
  • Shop
  • 3d Software
    • Daz Studio Premier
    • Daz Studio
    • Install Manager
    • Exporters
    • Daz to Roblox
    • Daz to Maya
    • Daz to Blender
    • Daz to Unreal
    • Daz to Unity
    • Daz to 3ds Max
    • Daz to Cinema 4D
  • 3D Models
    • Genesis 9
    • Genesis 8.1
    • Free 3D Models
  • Community
    • Our Community
    • Gallery
    • Forums
    • Blog
    • Press
    • Help
  • Memberships
    • Daz Premier
    • Daz Plus
    • Daz Base
    • Compare
  • AI Solutions

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

Loading...
Daz 3D Forums > Search
  • Iray Stand Kit [Commercial]

    My latest product, Iray Stand Kit has gone live. 

    This product's creation was born from my desire to create Iray renders of simplified and clean Stands and Displays featuring existing 3D environments. Environmental elements that are sized and placed within the Stand Kit base's boundaries create a display or stand for characters and any part of the environment outside of the base isn't rendered in Iray. With the use of carefully set up Iray Section Plane Nodes, Iray Stand Kit takes the guesswork out of where Iray Section Plane Nodes should be placed.  Simply keeping the scene's desired Geometry within the Stand Kit Base's Borders allows the geometry within to be seen upon Iray Rendering and all geometry outside the base to not be seen in Iray Render. The Stand Kit's base gives a more firm visual field of where the Iray Section Plane Nodes will be active.

    This kit allows one to use their favorite environments as simplified backdrops or displays for their characters in Iray Render. The creation of Iray Stand Kit also helped me to solve a problem I kept having with lighting interior scenes. I LOVE using HDRI light for scenes and it's such a simple and elegant solution to lighting which often creates nice results. The ease of use of HDRIs makes it my "go to" lighting and Iray Stand Kit helps facilitate that by "hiding" any geometry that is outside of the Stand Kit Base's borders - allowing HDRI light into the scene.

    For that reason, I've set up additional Iray Stand Kit load options that load a camera with the Iray Stand Kit parented to the camera and sized up to be outside of the camera's view. This helps hide scene geometry that is outside of the camera's view. So upon moving the camera the Stand Kit moves with it (if left parented to the camera), allowing one to navigate the camera around the scene, bringing the Stand Kit Base (with it's Iray Section Plane Nodes) together with it.

    I hope that Iray Stand Kit will be helpful to you guys! If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

    (Stand/Display created using Iray Stand Kit with Jack Tomalin's beautiful Balneae.)

     

    Here's a quick video I did to show how the product works:

     

     

    Oh and a side note - I had included the list of products used in the promos when I submitted the product but for some reason the list didn't get added to the Store Page for the product. I've sent in a support ticket asking for it to be added to the store page so Hopefully it will be updated and added as I know many of you often wonder about what products are used in promotional images. Until it (hopefully) gets updated, here's the list of products I used in the Promotional Imagery:

    Posh Hair

    Toon Rocket and Moonscape

    Lorelei Mertail for Genesis 2 Female(s)

    Anemone for Genesis 2 Female(s)

    Wasteground Vignette

    Bobbity Bo Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)

    Cafe Luca

    The Mystery Solver Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s)

    Chevaleresse Armor for Genesis 3 Female(s)

    Pavel for Ivan 7

    Balneae

    Baroness Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)

    Urban Survivors for Genesis 3 Male(s) and Female(s)

    Santa Beard for Genesis 3 Male(s)

    Topmodel Updo Hair and OOT Hairblending 2.0 for Genesis 3 Female(s)

    Jenn HD for Victoria 7

    Hands Dial-up for Genesis 8 Female

    Axel Hair for Genesis 8 Male(s)

    Mage Tower Iray

    Night Spy Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

    Concordia Rotunda

    Youngblood Hair for Genesis 3 and 8

    Alien Corridor

    dForce Wizard Lore Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s)

    Aguja Undersea Environment

    KamilyAnn for Zelara 8

    Luca for Genesis 8 Male

    dForce Universal Dress for Genesis 8 Female(s)

    dForce Blacksmith Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s)

    Nix 8

    Easy Light and Render - Spectrum Studio

    Biker Hair and Beard For Genesis 3 and 8 Male(s)

    dForce Eloise Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

    Betty Fashion Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

    Babina 8

    Regal Protector for Genesis 8 Male(s)

    Trearchi Folly

    Tearchi Dalliance Poses for Genesis 8

    YouMei Hair for Genesis 8 Female(s)

    Ping the Ringtail - Plushies 2.0

    Sci-Fi Retro Space Suit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

     

    Let me know if you have any questions. :)

    By

    3Diva 3Diva December 2020 in Daz PA Commercial Products
  • what happened here to the skin colour?

    So I went ahead and added 'new victoria 7 genitalia' to my G3F character and the morph seemed to work fine but for some reason now I'm getting a white shade of skin around the area where it was applied, please see pic I put the black squiggly lines over her 'womanly area's' to keep the image modest. How can I get my normal skin tone back pls with the morph change and why did it do this?

    You need to apply a material preset to the Anatomical elements. Preferably one from the model you have loaded (given it has any). You can use a different one, but the skin tone may not match.

    It works like this:

    1) load a figure (Genesis 3 Female)

    2) add the Anatomical Elements to the figure (I see those under Genesis 3)

    3) add Anatomical Elements material preset to the figure (I don't have Victoria 7, so I attached an image of how the menu icon looks like for Victoria 8)

    By

    watchdog79 watchdog79 December 2020 in The Commons
  • what happened here to the skin colour?

    So I went ahead and added 'new victoria 7 genitalia' to my G3F character and the morph seemed to work fine but for some reason now I'm getting a white shade of skin around the area where it was applied, please see pic I put the black squiggly lines over her 'womanly area's' to keep the image modest. How can I get my normal skin tone back pls with the morph change and why did it do this?

    By

    Toobis Toobis December 2020 in The Commons
  • DELETE

    If you have any Victoria 4 stuff that was working, it's not going to work after the reinstall. I had a heck of a time getting my favorite V4 characters back after switching to a new computer.

    By

    NylonGirl NylonGirl November 2020 in The Commons
  • Looking for mature female characters 30's and early 40's

    I like Benita from Saiyaness, as a figure that is obviously mature out of the box.

    https://www.daz3d.com/benita-for-victoria-8

    In my renders she looked older than in the promos, but you can easily make her 10 years younger too. In my experience that works better than making a 20yo look 30.

    And I'm currently looking at 'Sunshine'.

    https://www.daz3d.com/sunshine-hd-for-genesis-8-female

    I like Colm Jackson's stuff (except that the skins are a bit chalky next to the usual figures).

    By

    cajhin cajhin November 2020 in The Commons
  • Looking for mature female characters 30's and early 40's

    Well, I posted picture references in my first post? 

    Ellitha 8 which Hylas posted is also a good example for a late 30's character in my humble opinion.

    These are the only ones which I know of. 

    As already stated...most of the G8 base characters can easily pass for 30's or early 40's. There's really not much difference in how a woman looks from her 20's to 30's and even into her 40's if she takes care of her skin. Victoria 8, Tasha 8...these could easily be women in their 30's. 

    As Servin has suggested, I would post picture refrences...real-world picture references. The characters you linked above represent a rather wide gamut of ages. 

    By

    MelissaGT MelissaGT November 2020 in The Commons
  • Looking for mature female characters 30's and early 40's

    Your concept of what 30s looks like seems off. Alexandra reads late 40s at the youngest and most of the main daz characters pass just fine as 30s

    Victoria, Eva, Alawa, Angharad, Celani, Josephene, Gabriella, Sahira could all easily pass for mid 30s

    By

    j cade j cade November 2020 in The Commons
  • Looking for mature female characters 30's and early 40's

    Like mentioned in the title I am looking for older characters like Abrey 8 or Alexandra 8 or monika (in the age range from 30's to early 40's) for example:

    https://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-monika-hd-for-victoria-7-and-her-jewelry

    https://www.daz3d.com/alexandra-8

    https://www.daz3d.com/aubrey-8

    There seems to be a distinct lack of characters in this age range. The characters are either pretty young or pretty old (daz improved in that regard and there are some good grandma-characters).

    But in the age range I mean, the situation seems pretty dire. 

    Do you know some female characters who would fit into that age range?

    The problem I've noticed is that whenever you see someone say "oh this character looks to be in their 30's or 40's," they're pointing to a woman who is easily in their 60's or 70's. (Ok, that's a bit of an exageration, so let's say 50's or higher...) 

    Most women in their 30's don't look that much different than they did in their 20's...unless they baked under UV rays like a fiend in their youth. I'll be 40 next year and my skin hasn't changed all that much. No wrinkles. No age spots. No sagging. (And I'm pretty much as white as you can get genetically...half Swedish and half British). My mom is in her early 60's and she looks younger than a lof of the women folks on this site point to as being in their 40's, lol. 

    Elitihia, as linked above, I would say is a good one...and oddly enough I just noticed that she looks a heck of a lot like the woman who played Amara on Supernatural. 

    Alexandra I would put more towards late 40's to early 50's. 

    By

    MelissaGT MelissaGT November 2020 in The Commons
  • Looking for mature female characters 30's and early 40's

    Like mentioned in the title I am looking for older characters like Abrey 8 or Alexandra 8 or monika (in the age range from 30's to early 40's) for example:

    https://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-monika-hd-for-victoria-7-and-her-jewelry

    https://www.daz3d.com/alexandra-8

    https://www.daz3d.com/aubrey-8

    There seems to be a distinct lack of characters in this age range. The characters are either pretty young or pretty old (daz improved in that regard and there are some good grandma-characters).

    But in the age range I mean, the situation seems pretty dire. 

    Do you know some female characters who would fit into that age range?

    By

    ps2000 ps2000 November 2020 in The Commons
  • PW Abandoned mine station... Seriously 4.3GB??!!

    Just my opinion...  but since DAZ was changing the store anyway, adding file size to the product information would have been a good idea.

    I think at this point I've seen the issue of file size complained about so much over the years, it's kinda one of those things people would want displayed there where you can see it, not somewhere else where you have to research it or ask someone.

    I believe at one point the idea behind not doing it was "you'd have to do it for every product"... Maybe that made sense once, because the store still had tons (virtual tons... 1 CGI ton = 0.00 metric tons) of old stuff like vintage Zygote stuff from the Cold War and Victoria 1's great, great, grandmother Muriel 1.  Which was probably fine because it would have been too expensive given that there was a pixel shortage going on at the time and DAZ was paying a ridiculously high price per pound for their website pixels and it wouldn't be worth it to invest in pixels to include in information on old products rotting away on shelves in the back room at DAZ's content warehouse in the salty Utah desert... (I'm assuming it was salty, it's Utah)

    But these days pixels are a dirt cheap and the handful of them it would require to say "4 Terabytes" is like totally a steal... and I'm sure the tons of them they are saving by replacing forum icons with vague squares would free up room for this... and people would definitely be like- "Oh, holy shiznit... Dang! That's so cool, like I totally love everyone at DAZ and am going to give up food and spend all my remaining cash here because I now know for sure DAZ loves me as much as I love them and I'm no longer ashamed of all my DAZ tattoos and will no long wear a burlap sack over my body at the nude beach!!"...

    Maybe that's a little bit much, but if 2020 showed us anything, there is at least one person out there who will say exactly that... but that's besides the point... Adding file size is something people and polydactyl cats really would appreciate seeing and DAZ, if you aren't going to do it for people, think of the cute kitties with their multiple digits and weird extra toes they use like thumbs... they went through the difficulty of evolving extra toes which we've all seen them use like fingers in various cat videos and if you think they are going to be benevolent overlords then you better take a close look at the calendar, in particular the year part, then look out the window at the murder hornet sitting on the glass and wonder aloud if it can get crazier and weirder or if everything is going to be fine.

    No, don't pick the last one... what the hell... did you not... ugh...

    Whatever...

    Jeez... well, that's just my opinion and I don't know anything... but I'd say it would be great time to start adding file size to new products.

    I know someone out there probably will say "that's not important" or "that information is out there in the product material data safety sheets that OSHA requires to be sent by owl if you really, really wish hard"... but I say even if it is "out there" ... "somewhere"... it's not here in front of our eyeballs where it really counts.

    Thats all... 

    Or is it?

    No... that's all.

    By

    McGyver McGyver November 2020 in The Commons
  • Why is Daz Tech Support so bad?

    SickleYield never fixed the too long path of several products (more than 255 characters)

    Do you have one character to mention?, I want to check if I have on my own runtime.

     

     

    Installed with Daz Connect

     

    Beginning Update of "SY Genesis 8 Clones for Genesis 3"

    WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in runNextTask-runTask: boost::filesystem::create_directory: Filename or extension too long: "D:/Users/Owner/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud\1_50977\data/daz 3d/genesis 3/male/tools/projection templates/tunics/sy tunic template genesis 8 male/uv sets/daz 3d/genesis 8/female/tools/projection templates/syv4clones/base"

    "SY Genesis 8 Clones for Genesis 3": Update Failed.

     

    Beginning Update of "SY Victoria 4 and Michael 4 Clones for Genesis 8"

    WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in runNextTask-runTask: boost::filesystem::create_directories: Filename or extension too long: "D:/Users/Owner/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud\1_50281\data/daz 3d/genesis 8/female/tools/projection templates/dresses/dresses/sy dress template victoria 4/uv sets/daz 3d/genesis 8/female/tools/projection templates/syv4clones"

    WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Unexpected exception in runNextTask-runTask: boost::filesystem::create_directories: Nom de fichier ou extension trop long: "D:/Users/Owner/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud\1_50281\data/daz 3d/genesis 8/male/tools/projection templates/sym4clones/tunics/sy dress template michael 4/uv sets/daz 3d/genesis 8/female/tools/projection templates/syv4clones"

    "SY Victoria 4 and Michael 4 Clones for Genesis 8": Update Failed.

    By

    Noah LGP Noah LGP November 2020 in The Commons
  • Looking for Coronation poses

    Hi everyone, is there any poses available free or otherwise  for a coronation? It could either be one placing a crown onto another or the character placing the crown onto themselves.  For either Victoria 4 or any of the Genesis females.

     

    Thanks for looking guys and the recommendations.

    By

    Pudgy Pudgy November 2020 in The Commons
  • L.I.E. FACE BRUISES not visible on render

    Hi

     

    I have L.I.E. FACE BRUISES https://www.daz3d.com/lie-face-bruises-for-genesis-3-and-8 and before render in viewport is fine but after render bruises are almost not visible. What could be wrong? Model is Victoria 8 but this is with any character right now. I checked layer image editor and opacity is on 100%. I tried with normal bruises and bruises for dark skin and blended. It's all the same :(

    By

    martin36 martin36 November 2020 in The Commons
  • DELETE

    she looks good yeah I was looking at v2 and 3 too, v2 has some nice poses with the figure but no expressions and you can't open the mouth unless there was a morph you hadto buy youget three versions well 2 really as one with skin is standard and  light edition the other is the silver no skin which is taller for some reason.oh no clothing. V3 at least has expressions and sort of clothing. Trying to think how could use her maybe as a synth droid, humanoid but not too real looking or a Auton

    From my review of the Victoria 2.0 product 83 it comes with three actors. The Poser 4 Female shaped LE, the Poser 4 Female shaped high res version and  the standard Victoria 2 high res version. In my reply about expressions above the image is of the P4F high res version. You can think of this version and the P4F LE as a clone version. Lets V2 wear all of P4F's clothing. 

    Also included are a set of poses for hands and full body. There are no textures included with the 83 set. There are textures included in item numbers 95, 96, 97 and 98, which you could buy seperatly. They are light and medium, low and high res textures sets. AprilYSH has a remapped version of Victoria 2 that allows her to use P4F textures. I am thinking about making a morph from the P4F Victorias to make Victoria 2 completely P4F just for fun. Then Victoria can have textures of P4F and her clothes.

    The Victoria 3 product. 1098, comes with an actor shape of V3 allowing her to wear V2 clothing. The V3 version is based using the SAE version of V3, which is the latest version of V3.

    By

    DollyGirl DollyGirl November 2020 in The Commons
  • DELETE

    Tofusan has a shader for 3Delight Ubersurface that is nice see here:

    Skin Shader Preset (for DAZ Default Shader) - Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki (miraheze.org)

    For Iray, I have used this shader from vrxitachi as a starter. The eyeball does recieve the incorrect shader I just apply thin water DAZ Studio default shader to the eye ball and set the upper eye brow cutout parameter to zero

    https://sharecg.com/v/87083/

    These are shader presets and therefore you must have the object selected in the scene and the surface tab for them to work. All of the links I have provided to you in this response and the previous one are for free. Enjoy your journey.

    If you want more free things like clothing, poses, morphs and textures for Victoria 3 I suggest visiting here: Victoria 3 - Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki (miraheze.org)

    For Victoria 1 or 2 go here: Victoria 1-2 - Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki (miraheze.org)

    By

    DollyGirl DollyGirl November 2020 in The Commons
  • Michael 3 to any Genesis Figure texture

    Legacy UV Victoria 3 for Genesis 3 Female is the only option

     

    Texture Convertor 2 is no longer available

    By

    Noah LGP Noah LGP November 2020 in The Commons
  • Have any of you tried Carrara?

    That's awesome!

    I have spent quite a bit of time working with rigging before, and decided that rigging is not really what I want to do. Same actually goes for modeling, even though I still do quick modeling with and without rigging from time to time, just not for my characters. 

    I do know that 3ds Max has evolved immensely since Max 5 (many, many years ago, when they were developed by Discreet) and back then I really liked it! 

    Since I actually swing a hammer as hard is I can at a hand-held stone chisel all day, I don't have enough time to do everything myself. My Max mentor turned me onto Poser 5 after he saw how much I'd rather be putting together scenes and just animating my characters (and the monsters chasing them) through it. 

    I really kind got off on Poser for a while - thought it was really cool how I didn't have to actually UV Unwrap everything after I modeled it - I didn't have to model anything!

    But the problem came when I found that I couldn't model anything either. 

    I found and liked the idea of Carrara, but couldn't afford it. One day my Awesome wife told me that she saved enough for me to buy that computer thing I needed (Carrara) and, by then Daz 3D had acquired it. For my money I got Carrara and a Huge pile of wonderful goodies because in one day I became a Platinum Club member, bought Carrara and a bunch of other things, and then Daz 3D gave me a whole lot of free goodies with Carrara, with the membership, and with a bok that I bought - plus all of the freebies from the (then) PC freebies section!

    I've been pretty darn happy animating away (or learning to) ever since!

    It probably doesn't show well in that diminished GIF, but she does have some pretty cool Subsurface Scattering shaders going on and I had a LOT of fun with reflection, refraction and translucency in the Irides of her eyes. Plus there are four layers of separately simulated dynaimic (strand-based, created via shader) hair. Her armor would be black, but I'm using a sperical map in the render engine to create the reflections. As dated and simplistic as Carrara seems, it does have some impressive features - just that the designers tucked a lot of those features into work sheets that we fill out via selections, check boxes and sliders, hiding the guts under the hood.

    Again... I know it's no 3ds Max - or Blender. And I also know that it wouldn't be the right choice for you at all. But someone who might be paying subscription fees for software that doesn't allow for the simple Daz 3D/Poser library option that Carrara does... it might just be the ticket they were looking for!

    I guess I feel lucky in the fact that I've used Max before coming to Carrara. I was actually planning on buying LightWave because it (at that time) had a community that didn't entirely shun me for asking about getting Michael and Victoria 3 into it with working morphs - that was before I found Carrara.

    Max and Maya users didn't want to have any part of the Poser world. LW community was game to it, but couldn't yet get morphs and rigging working right. When I saw Carrara 5 in action, well... you know the rest of the story, I think! ;)

    Hey, Cheers GregsGraphics! You Rock, and I hope your Max/Blender endeavors fare you well!

    I always had a fear of rigging with standard bones.  That's one reason I stuck with 3dsmax for as long as I had, because of the Biped addon that made rigging as easy as fitting the Biped mannequin rig into the character mesh and then rescaling the "bones" to fit inside the limbs, etc.  It seemed so much easier than starting with one bone and creating the rig from scratch.  Then I started playing around with Blender's rigging system and once I got the hang of creating bones and learned some of the tricks like adding IK and such, I couldn't believe how easy it was.  Now I can create custom rigs that will do exactly what I want with every character, and I can add my own custom helper objects to make animation 100x easier than it would have been if I just used the native rigging that transferred over with the FBX.  Of course, there are some Blender addons like AutoRig which really make it dead simple to create a great animation-friendly rig for just about any character mesh too, complete with helpers and all sorts of professional rigging assets, like face bones to animate expressions (much better than morphs or shape keys).

    Being an animator, you should really experiment with rig creation on the side.  A custom, professional rig system can truly make your life as an animator a ton easier, and not having to depend on prefabricated motions like Aniblocks is quite liberating.  A custom rig can really elevate the level of your animations and make your job so much faster and easier with even better results than before.

    Happy Thanksgiving!  Talk to you again soon.

    By

    gregsgraphics_cafd0962a0 gregsgraphics_cafd0962a0 November 2020 in 3ds Max Discussion
  • Genesis 8 Basic Female Broken Morphs

    hello, i have not managed yet to change the SY morph/s. they are way too many and there is no update. I downloaded her files from share cg in april this year.

    as for the missing g8f morphs, i checked them out and i have all of them installed. the same with v8 and topsy. they are all installed in data directory morphs location (attached screen shot).

    i'll hve to open a support ticket, since i cannot tell why the issue related to g8f morphs is occuring.

    2020-11-24 14:45:15.823 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(6843): Could not find target property for formula: 
    Genesis8Female:/data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Morphs/DAZ%203D/Head/PHMEarlobesAttached.dsf#PHMEarlobesAttached?value in file : 
    /data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Morphs/DAZ%203D/Victoria%208/eJCMVictoria8EarlobesAttached.dsf
    PHMEarlobesAttached.dsf comes with the product "Genesis 8 Female Head Morphs", do you have it?

     

    2020-11-24 14:45:16.024 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(6843): Could not find target property for formula: 
    Genesis8Female:/data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Morphs/DAZ%203D/Expressions/eCTRLExcitement_HD.dsf#eCTRLExcitement?value in file : 
    /data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Morphs/DAZ%203D/Topsy%208/eJCM_Topsy8_ExcitementHD_div2.dsf
    "eCTRLExcitement_HD.dsf" comes with the product "Genesis 8 Female Expressions", do you have it?

    By

    PerttiA PerttiA November 2020 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)
  • Have any of you tried Carrara?

    That's awesome!

    I have spent quite a bit of time working with rigging before, and decided that rigging is not really what I want to do. Same actually goes for modeling, even though I still do quick modeling with and without rigging from time to time, just not for my characters. 

    I do know that 3ds Max has evolved immensely since Max 5 (many, many years ago, when they were developed by Discreet) and back then I really liked it! 

    Since I actually swing a hammer as hard is I can at a hand-held stone chisel all day, I don't have enough time to do everything myself. My Max mentor turned me onto Poser 5 after he saw how much I'd rather be putting together scenes and just animating my characters (and the monsters chasing them) through it. 

    I really kind got off on Poser for a while - thought it was really cool how I didn't have to actually UV Unwrap everything after I modeled it - I didn't have to model anything!

    But the problem came when I found that I couldn't model anything either. 

    I found and liked the idea of Carrara, but couldn't afford it. One day my Awesome wife told me that she saved enough for me to buy that computer thing I needed (Carrara) and, by then Daz 3D had acquired it. For my money I got Carrara and a Huge pile of wonderful goodies because in one day I became a Platinum Club member, bought Carrara and a bunch of other things, and then Daz 3D gave me a whole lot of free goodies with Carrara, with the membership, and with a bok that I bought - plus all of the freebies from the (then) PC freebies section!

    I've been pretty darn happy animating away (or learning to) ever since!

    It probably doesn't show well in that diminished GIF, but she does have some pretty cool Subsurface Scattering shaders going on and I had a LOT of fun with reflection, refraction and translucency in the Irides of her eyes. Plus there are four layers of separately simulated dynaimic (strand-based, created via shader) hair. Her armor would be black, but I'm using a sperical map in the render engine to create the reflections. As dated and simplistic as Carrara seems, it does have some impressive features - just that the designers tucked a lot of those features into work sheets that we fill out via selections, check boxes and sliders, hiding the guts under the hood.

    Again... I know it's no 3ds Max - or Blender. And I also know that it wouldn't be the right choice for you at all. But someone who might be paying subscription fees for software that doesn't allow for the simple Daz 3D/Poser library option that Carrara does... it might just be the ticket they were looking for!

    I guess I feel lucky in the fact that I've used Max before coming to Carrara. I was actually planning on buying LightWave because it (at that time) had a community that didn't entirely shun me for asking about getting Michael and Victoria 3 into it with working morphs - that was before I found Carrara.

    Max and Maya users didn't want to have any part of the Poser world. LW community was game to it, but couldn't yet get morphs and rigging working right. When I saw Carrara 5 in action, well... you know the rest of the story, I think! ;)

    Hey, Cheers GregsGraphics! You Rock, and I hope your Max/Blender endeavors fare you well!

    By

    Dartanbeck Dartanbeck November 2020 in 3ds Max Discussion
  • Genesis 9 delayed until at least 2020. Will you be buying it?

    I myself have put hundreds and hundreds of dollars into the different generations of figures and their clothing/accessories. While I would look forward to a G9, I really wish someone, or several someones would go back and create new clothing for the older characters such as M4/V4, M and V5, and G2 (for me personally, Medieval period stuff). I have invested in Marvelous Designer, because I know the stuff I really want, I will probably have to make myself, but that will be a while away, as it will probably take some time to learn to use it. It would be great if with the next generation of figures, stuff could be made to be fitted to any character, but that is probably way to much to ask.sad

    There are clones and clothing converters for pretty much any to-from Genesis generation and also clones of Victoria 4/Michael 4, etc for the Genesis figures. The Wear Them All Expansion also has clones that allow Genesis 3 to wear clothing made for Victoria 3, Michael 3, Aiko 3, etc. But because Pre-Genesis figures like Victoria 4 and Victoria 3 are a different type of figure there's not really anything available that allows clothing made FOR Genesis figures to fit them, unfortunately. 

    XD4 converts genesis clothes to generation 3,4 and other nondaz figures.

    By

    almahiedra almahiedra November 2020 in The Commons
Previous Next
Adding to Cart…

Daz 3D is part of Tafi

Connect

DAZ Productions, Inc.
7533 S Center View Ct #4664
West Jordan, UT 84084

HELP

Contact Us

Tutorials

Help Center

Sell Your 3D Content

Affiliate Program

Documentation Center

Open Source

Consent Preferences

JOIN DAZ

Memberships

Blog

About Us

Press

Careers

Bridges

Community

In the Studio

Gallery

Forum

DAZ STORE

Shop

Freebies

Published Artists

Licensing Agreement | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | EULA

© 2026 Daz Productions Inc. All Rights Reserved.