-
Problem with "RSSY Hair Converter from Genesis 2 Male to Genesis 8 Male"
1. Right click on the product icon - Edit Metadata.
2. Check the Hair Type
3. Execute the script, add the Basic Hair from the folder where it locates. See if it has the correct Type. If it's correct, click Force Convert Item to convert it~Problem with "RSSY Hair Converter from Genesis 2 Male to Genesis 8 Male"Did you install Basic Hair product by using DIM? If you manually dump the product files to your library, the script will not work as the hair must have a Type - Follower/Hair... The 'Type' is defined in the product metadata which is imported by DIM.
Sagan: A DAZ Studio to Blender Alembic Exporterclandescent1 said:
TheMysteryIsThePoint said:
clandescent1 said:
Is there any way to port with diffeo materials in 3.1 ?
Yes. When you import via Diffeo, there is now a global option under Materials called "Sort Materials Alphabetically". With that checked, you can now just select the Alembic object, shift-select the diffeo model, and on the mateials tab, select Copy Material to Selected.
I'll make a script to automate that in the future.
I think it is worth mentioning that copy materials to selected method does not work with figures that have geografts. Diffeomorphic imports geografts separately and imports the main figure as base figure, so if you copy paste those materials onto a sagan figure that has all of the geograft materials on one figure it will just break everything because neither the order nor the number of material slots match. This is not a big deal to fix manually as it is now, however if you automate the process in future using this method then every import with geografts will be broken. You could make another checkbox, however i dont understand what was wrong with original method of just replacing materials by their name with a generated python script? That seemed to work fine in 1.16
Nothing was "wrong" with it, it just made Sagan more complex for various reasons. Complex code means slower updates. But I agree, it would be nice for it to "just work". I plan to add it back with a separate utility. But I'm not sure it ever worked 100% correctly with geografts...
Sagan: A DAZ Studio to Blender Alembic Exportermrpdean_7efbae9610 said:
TheMysteryIsThePoint said:
TheMysteryIsThePoint said:
mrpdean_7efbae9610 said:
A few other things I've noticed while messing around with Sagan in various platforms.
V2 imported into 3D Max with the correct orientation whereas v3 and v3.1 import into max rotated in 90 degrees.
V2 imported in Maya fine whereas V3 and V3.1 seem to crash Maya (at least my version crashes).
V2 imports into Unreal Engine fine whereas V3 and V3.1 imports with what looks like flipped geometry normals.. basically the insides are visible while the outside polygons aren't.
From some initial tests, I can't get my previous ML Deformer workflow working with V3 or V3.1, but my new Houdini JCM workflow does work with V3 and V3.1.
Working onthe other issues, but I do not have access to 3D Max and my license for Maya expired last year and I did not renew, so it will be difficult to diagnose those problems. It seems strange because V2 and V3 use exactly the same exporting code. I can work on UE and Houdini, though.
@mrpdean_7efbae9610 I'm going to borrow some code from LotP. It abstracts the issues of vertex winding order that affects the normals, the coordinate system that might be causing the rotation (does it mirror as well?), etc.
I don't know why these things should be necessary, they should be taken care of by the receiving program's Alembic importer, but at least I'll have a framework to fix it.
Thanks for looking into it. I'm happy to run some more in-depth tests if it helps.
Would be amazing if we can get the ML Deformer workflow workingalongside the JCM generation workflow as I've had a few people ask me how I got the ML Deformer working in the first place.
I'll accept your kind offer. The normals in UE is a strange one; as long as I account for DS's winding order being opposite of what Alembic wants, UE's Alembic importer should recalculate them fine. Sagan has not explicitly exported normals for quite some time, back to version 1.x so I'll definitely need some help from someone more versed in UE (which is the entire set of UE users).
Sagan: A DAZ Studio to Blender Alembic ExporterTheMysteryIsThePoint said:
clandescent1 said:
Is there any way to port with diffeo materials in 3.1 ?
Yes. When you import via Diffeo, there is now a global option under Materials called "Sort Materials Alphabetically". With that checked, you can now just select the Alembic object, shift-select the diffeo model, and on the mateials tab, select Copy Material to Selected.
I'll make a script to automate that in the future.
I think it is worth mentioning that copy materials to selected method does not work with figures that have geografts. Diffeomorphic imports geografts separately and imports the main figure as base figure, so if you copy paste those materials onto a sagan figure that has all of the geograft materials on one figure it will just break everything because neither the order nor the number of material slots match. This is not a big deal to fix manually as it is now, however if you automate the process in future using this method then every import with geografts will be broken. You could make another checkbox, however i dont understand what was wrong with original method of just replacing materials by their name with a generated python script? That seemed to work fine in 1.16
The whole scene.No need to group or parent. You can export everything as an FBX and then import the FBX into UE. Or use the DAZtoUnreal bridge. Once the meshes are imported, select them all and drag and drop them into the Unreal Engine scene all at once. They will be positioned correctly just like in DAZ Studio.
Sagan: A DAZ Studio to Blender Alembic ExporterTheMysteryIsThePoint said:
TheMysteryIsThePoint said:
mrpdean_7efbae9610 said:
A few other things I've noticed while messing around with Sagan in various platforms.
V2 imported into 3D Max with the correct orientation whereas v3 and v3.1 import into max rotated in 90 degrees.
V2 imported in Maya fine whereas V3 and V3.1 seem to crash Maya (at least my version crashes).
V2 imports into Unreal Engine fine whereas V3 and V3.1 imports with what looks like flipped geometry normals.. basically the insides are visible while the outside polygons aren't.
From some initial tests, I can't get my previous ML Deformer workflow working with V3 or V3.1, but my new Houdini JCM workflow does work with V3 and V3.1.
Working onthe other issues, but I do not have access to 3D Max and my license for Maya expired last year and I did not renew, so it will be difficult to diagnose those problems. It seems strange because V2 and V3 use exactly the same exporting code. I can work on UE and Houdini, though.
@mrpdean_7efbae9610 I'm going to borrow some code from LotP. It abstracts the issues of vertex winding order that affects the normals, the coordinate system that might be causing the rotation (does it mirror as well?), etc.
I don't know why these things should be necessary, they should be taken care of by the receiving program's Alembic importer, but at least I'll have a framework to fix it.
Thanks for looking into it. I'm happy to run some more in-depth tests if it helps.
Would be amazing if we can get the ML Deformer workflow workingalongside the JCM generation workflow as I've had a few people ask me how I got the ML Deformer working in the first place.
MDBridge for Daz3DRichard Haseltine said:
Tugpsx said:
Been busy lately and have not had the chance to work on this project. Rather than delay the project any further here is the source code for someone who has more time to work on it.
There are a few areas for improvement, looking forward to see what will be done.
Please make sure you adhere to the license terms for the sample scripts - this uses http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/import_obj_silent/start and http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/export_obj_silent/start at least. See http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ .
Sorry Richard, I thought I gave Rob credit for the import export functions, including the modified elements. If not please let me know and i will update the file and repost. Is there a specific language I need to add to the script to comply. Please assist.
G9 Starter Essentials Update?I think it probably should always have said "manually added" for any existing customers. In any event, I download through DIM, and it hasn't appeared there in the last two days for me. I suspect that may mean that it's a metadata-only update; those don't appear in DIM normally. Those should appear in Connect (which I don't use).
Sagan: A DAZ Studio to Blender Alembic ExporterTheMysteryIsThePoint said:
mrpdean_7efbae9610 said:
A few other things I've noticed while messing around with Sagan in various platforms.
V2 imported into 3D Max with the correct orientation whereas v3 and v3.1 import into max rotated in 90 degrees.
V2 imported in Maya fine whereas V3 and V3.1 seem to crash Maya (at least my version crashes).
V2 imports into Unreal Engine fine whereas V3 and V3.1 imports with what looks like flipped geometry normals.. basically the insides are visible while the outside polygons aren't.
From some initial tests, I can't get my previous ML Deformer workflow working with V3 or V3.1, but my new Houdini JCM workflow does work with V3 and V3.1.
Working onthe other issues, but I do not have access to 3D Max and my license for Maya expired last year and I did not renew, so it will be difficult to diagnose those problems. It seems strange because V2 and V3 use exactly the same exporting code. I can work on UE and Houdini, though.
@mrpdean_7efbae9610 I'm going to borrow some code from LotP. It abstracts the issues of vertex winding order that affects the normals, the coordinate system that might be causing the rotation (does it mirror as well?), etc.
I don't know why these things should be necessary, they should be taken care of by the receiving program's Alembic importer, but at least I'll have a framework to fix it.
Sagan: A DAZ Studio to Blender Alembic Exportermrpdean_7efbae9610 said:
A few other things I've noticed while messing around with Sagan in various platforms.
V2 imported into 3D Max with the correct orientation whereas v3 and v3.1 import into max rotated in 90 degrees.
V2 imported in Maya fine whereas V3 and V3.1 seem to crash Maya (at least my version crashes).
V2 imports into Unreal Engine fine whereas V3 and V3.1 imports with what looks like flipped geometry normals.. basically the insides are visible while the outside polygons aren't.
From some initial tests, I can't get my previous ML Deformer workflow working with V3 or V3.1, but my new Houdini JCM workflow does work with V3 and V3.1.
Working onthe other issues, but I do not have access to 3D Max and my license for Maya expired last year and I did not renew, so it will be difficult to diagnose those problems. It seems strange because V2 and V3 use exactly the same exporting code. I can work on UE and Houdini, though.
Why don't Gen 9 eyes import properly in Blender?Also I am now able to import poses into Blender onto my figures but the right leg seems to get twisted and I have to twist it back.
streamlining the file treePickle Renderer said:
You can put the assets in any folder you like. Just don't mess with the /runtime or /data folders. The .duf files and their icons (.duf.png and .tip.png) you can move into your own folder structure, within that same base folder. I create my own folder structure and even make my own icons in Inkscape for them.
Just bear in mind that moving files using anything other than DS will break any metadata.
Add to Smart Content@SofaCitizen ... thank you so much. I thought I was going crazy looking for why the thumbnail would not show up.
That also explains why the thumbnail showed up when I ran my script, at that point it took the support thumbnail untill Daz loaded again and it went back to meta data.It seems that several products including 1_74265 have no JSON and no JPG in the cloud.meta folder.
So When I copy, rename and paste the image from the support folder to the meta folder the product has a thumbnail so it does seem to get it from there.I guess I will just spam Support with missing thumbnail requests since it is an issue with the cloud / metadata side of things and I can fix it for now but in event of a reinstall they will be lost again.
How to rotate several elements together keeping their distance?In the OBJ import options dialogue try using the 3D Studio max preset, that will adjust the axes for you. OBJ imports are usually single pieces, so I am not sure how you have them independently rotatable.
Add to Smart ContentWebsoul said:
I have checked the image name, image size, store name in the metadata and everything looks good so it should work, I even uninstalled and reinstalled the product and still no image.
I run my script and YAY the image is finally there.Restart Daz, and its gone

Do you log into your account within Daz Studio? If you do then Daz Connect will replace all the thumbnails with it's own version on application launch. Since these are not stored alongside the DSX files in Runtime/Support but in the Connect cloud folder then Daz Connect will update the thumbnail path in the database to point to this new location.
Why don't Gen 9 eyes import properly in Blender?Why don't Gen 9 eyes import properly over the bridge into Blender?
They are the wrong color and size.
This happens with Daz studio and beta to Blender 3.3 and 3.4.
And, why doesn't the Gen 9 Dforce Redz Kaz hair import properly? Only the skull cap imports and the hair does not.
Add to Smart ContentSometimes Smart Content is a mystery to me.
For instance, this product https://www.daz3d.com/kumi-leiko-and-dress-for-genesis-8-females is one of the many products that has no promo image for the smart content.
I have checked the image name, image size, store name in the metadata and everything looks good so it should work, I even uninstalled and reinstalled the product and still no image.
I run my script and YAY the image is finally there.Restart Daz, and its gone

very frustrating since everything should be working.
Maybe I should just mail Support with the ever growing list of products without a product image.Daz clothing don't really follow the characterOne way to fix it is to create custom morphs using Blender and Morph Loader. In DAZ Studio, export the mesh as an OBJ and then import it into Blender and edit the mesh. Then back in DAZ Studio, use the Morph Loader to import the edited mesh to create a custom morph. Then send the clothing item to Unreal where you can adjust the morph in Blueprints until the problem is fixed.
Sagan: A DAZ Studio to Blender Alembic ExporterA few other things I've noticed while messing around with Sagan in various platforms.
V2 imported into 3D Max with the correct orientation whereas v3 and v3.1 import into max rotated in 90 degrees.
V2 imported in Maya fine whereas V3 and V3.1 seem to crash Maya (at least my version crashes).
V2 imports into Unreal Engine fine whereas V3 and V3.1 imports with what looks like flipped geometry normals.. basically the insides are visible while the outside polygons aren't.
From some initial tests, I can't get my previous ML Deformer workflow working with V3 or V3.1, but my new Houdini JCM workflow does work with V3 and V3.1.








