-
Is Filament a discontinued project for the Daz Team?
ShelLuser said:
A late reaction but oh well...
I'm a rather vivid Filament user and although most has been said above I also want to add that development on the engine is still happening, and new 'features' still find their way into the engine from time to time. For example: a few years back Filament when it didn't properly support shadows but it does now. My only gripe with the engine is that the intended shortcut doesn't work; neither the keyboard shortcut or the icon if you place this on the toolbar.
But other than that.... I more than ofen use it to give me a rough preview of an Iray render; even though it's not fully comparable you still get a good impression; it most definitely makes you aware of using RSL or MDL based material presets. IMO it's a pretty good engine.
This is where I disagree. I would rather switch to IRAY in the viewport than Filament even though the latter is much quicker. I'd rather take the extra seconds to get a closer impression of the IRay render than a different render engine entirely. But I should ask you whether you believe we have the full implementation of Filament or just a subset? When I first tried it I was immediately discouraged because the hair looked awful. Then it became clear than anything with opacity/transparency would not render nicely.
Is Filament a discontinued project for the Daz Team?A late reaction but oh well...
I'm a rather vivid Filament user and although most has been said above I also want to add that development on the engine is still happening, and new 'features' still find their way into the engine from time to time. For example: a few years back Filament didn't properly support shadows but it does now. My only gripe with the engine is that the intended shortcut doesn't work; neither the keyboard shortcut nor the icon (if you place this on the toolbar).
But other than that.... I more than often use it to give me a rough preview of an Iray render; even though it's not fully comparable you still get a good impression; it most definitely makes you aware of using RSL or MDL based material presets. IMO it's a pretty good engine.
(edit: fixed some typoes and applied a little bit more structure by adding "()").
European PC builders such as PC specialist any experiences or recommendations?Sounds good. Also sounds as if you have had a nice performance boost. I must admit I don't really use iRay preview while posing, preferring the speed of Filament. However, I always do the final tweaks in iRay preview mode. Regards, RichardRemixing your art with AIhere cool video which talking about generating same character in SD with help of controlnet and some manual fix.
The video itself actually about preparing character sheet or data set for LORA training but I think we can use several trick from that video to generate same character with bunch of poses .( ehich we can reuse or copy pastee into another scenes)
You can start with DAZ preview or Filament render as controlnet sources or IMG2IMG guide
Remixing your art with AIany 360 panoramic image works as IBL in Carrara, Octane render, Poser and presumably 3Delight Uberenvironment, it's just iray and filament that seem to have issues with them
probably an unbiased render thing
I definitely get shadows and coloured lighting from the Blockadelabs Skydomes in Octane
( well did, am without that PC right now)
Is Filament a discontinued project for the Daz Team?Richard Haseltine said:
wscottart said:
crosswind said:
Agreed with Richard ~ But TBH, Filament is still useless to many of the users, incl. me. I deactivated the plugin from day one ...

How do you deactivate this plug in? I never have used it as its really ugly with hair
Help>About Installed plug-ins has check boxes, a restart is then required. I would not, however, be inclined to deactivate a core component.
Can't say that I see the point of deactivating it either. I hardly ever use it - occasionally it is easier to see if the feet are on the ground if I switch to Filament but I switch back immediately. Otherwise, it doesn't get in the way of my usual workflow.
Is Filament a discontinued project for the Daz Team?wscottart said:
crosswind said:
Agreed with Richard ~ But TBH, Filament is still useless to many of the users, incl. me. I deactivated the plugin from day one ...

How do you deactivate this plug in? I never have used it as its really ugly with hair
Help>About Installed plug-ins has check boxes, a restart is then required. I would not, however, be inclined to deactivate a core component.
Is Filament a discontinued project for the Daz Team?crosswind said:
Agreed with Richard ~ But TBH, Filament is still useless to many of the users, incl. me. I deactivated the plugin from day one ...

How do you deactivate this plug in? I never have used it as its really ugly with hair
Iray Preview Slow as Molassesvon Hobo said:
I can't afford a hydrogen-cooled supercomputer right now. Is that what it takes to get a good "working" setup?
I've got a computer that's cooled by water, which has hydrogen in it. It's fairly super. Iray preview still has limited usefullness.
I found that the beta was better for Iray preview, don't know if that's still the case as I only have the beta installed now.
Cameras with lights attached are still a no, I can navigate around a scene fairly smoothly but moving stuff around or posing is awful.
I work in filament and switch into iray preview just to tweak lights or place decals or section planes. Iray preview also uses more power, which means more heat and noise.
Is Filament a discontinued project for the Daz Team?algovincian said:
marble said:
crosswind said:
Agreed with Richard ~ But TBH, Filament is still useless to many of the users, incl. me. I deactivated the plugin from day one ...

I was very excited about the prospect of using Filament in DAZ Studio but the DAZ implementation was a big disappointment. I also immediately went back to the old OpenGL viewport because it is easier to work with. I just occasionally switch to IRay in the Viewport to check on the look. Filament in DAZ Studio offers me nothing. My initial excitement was after seeing som examples online and I thought it might be competition for Blender's Eevee but, alas, it is not and was never intended (by DAZ) to be. Whether it could be is an open question if DAZ were to go with the full implementation.
This implies that there are other implementations of Filament that you don't consider disappointing. Out of curiosity, could you post a link to them so we can check them out?
Thanks.
- Greg
I'm just going on previous comments that inform us that the DAZ version is a partial implementation and that the full version would offer better features. Other than a few sample images of Filament renders elsewhere on the internet, I have nothing to compare it with so I can't satisfy your request. The implication I would draw, however, is that a complete implementation of Filament would be "less dissapointing" than a partial one.
Iray Preview Slow as Molassesrealistically, you will enjoy eating molasses better. For a better preview than default use the filament render engine
Is Filament a discontinued project for the Daz Team?marble said:
crosswind said:
Agreed with Richard ~ But TBH, Filament is still useless to many of the users, incl. me. I deactivated the plugin from day one ...

I was very excited about the prospect of using Filament in DAZ Studio but the DAZ implementation was a big disappointment. I also immediately went back to the old OpenGL viewport because it is easier to work with. I just occasionally switch to IRay in the Viewport to check on the look. Filament in DAZ Studio offers me nothing. My initial excitement was after seeing som examples online and I thought it might be competition for Blender's Eevee but, alas, it is not and was never intended (by DAZ) to be. Whether it could be is an open question if DAZ were to go with the full implementation.
This implies that there are other implementations of Filament that you don't consider disappointing. Out of curiosity, could you post a link to them so we can check them out?
Thanks.
- Greg
DazStudio only works on Nvidia GPUs????Leana said:
crosswind said:
OP: DS 3Delight(RSL) engine works with AMD graphics card while Iray (MDL) engine only works with Nvidia graphics card. So, if you wanna go for an Iray 'Happy Rendering', having an Nividia card is a must.
3DL doesn't use GPU at all, it renders only via CPU.
Iray can render either using your CPU or using an Nvidia GPU. Iray CPU renders take much much longer though, so having a Nvidia GPU is recommended.
If you have an AMD card you can still render with both engines, using the CPU. The AMD card will be used for OpenGL or Filament preview or renders, and for dForce simulations.
Thanks a lot for clarification!

Is Filament a discontinued project for the Daz Team?I still use Filament - they do have a repository but unsure if that fork of Filament is for DAZ Studio: https://github.com/daz3d/filament
They made a sparkly info page on it but I have not seen anything else. https://www.daz3d.com/filament-information-page
Filament has a lot of potential as that "middle ground" - especially for animators. It just needs that polishing, like soft shadows, transparancy/alpha fixes, emissives, etc... Even better if the diffuse channel can support alpha.
DazStudio only works on Nvidia GPUs????crosswind said:
OP: DS 3Delight(RSL) engine works with AMD graphics card while Iray (MDL) engine only works with Nvidia graphics card. So, if you wanna go for an Iray 'Happy Rendering', having an Nividia card is a must.
3DL doesn't use GPU at all, it renders only via CPU.
Iray can render either using your CPU or using an Nvidia GPU. Iray CPU renders take much much longer though, so having a Nvidia GPU is recommended.
If you have an AMD card you can still render with both engines, using the CPU. The AMD card will be used for OpenGL or Filament preview or renders, and for dForce simulations.
The I Miss the Old Days Complaint ThreadDanaTA said:
WendyLuvsCatz said:
LeatherGryphon said:
WendyLuvsCatz said:
my Win10 computer has carked it
well the C drive has
guess I won't be getting my teeth fixed now, or else I will and find another hobby
still have the Win7 and Filament
Worthy complaint.

Are you sure it's just the storage? Is it a desktop or laptop? Storage is cheap these days, (unless you're going for super size or speed). Are you able to replace/rebuild the "C" drive yourself?
cannot boot up, my 3D content all on externals so at least have most of that
stupidly my scenes all saved in documents though so will lose that, rarely revisit old ones so not a total loss
Do you have an emergency boot disk? Sometimes you can access what's on the drive, even though it can't boot. That happened to me once, years ago. Was the result of a power outage...a very brief one...but the read head bounced on the boot sector and it couldn't boot. But with an emergency boot disc, I could read just about everything on it.
did indeed have a power outage last week
no optical drive and no
The I Miss the Old Days Complaint ThreadWendyLuvsCatz said:
LeatherGryphon said:
WendyLuvsCatz said:
my Win10 computer has carked it
well the C drive has
guess I won't be getting my teeth fixed now, or else I will and find another hobby
still have the Win7 and Filament
Worthy complaint.

Are you sure it's just the storage? Is it a desktop or laptop? Storage is cheap these days, (unless you're going for super size or speed). Are you able to replace/rebuild the "C" drive yourself?
cannot boot up, my 3D content all on externals so at least have most of that
stupidly my scenes all saved in documents though so will lose that, rarely revisit old ones so not a total loss
Do you have an emergency boot disk? Sometimes you can access what's on the drive, even though it can't boot. That happened to me once, years ago. Was the result of a power outage...a very brief one...but the read head bounced on the boot sector and it couldn't boot. But with an emergency boot disc, I could read just about everything on it.
The I Miss the Old Days Complaint ThreadLeatherGryphon said:
WendyLuvsCatz said:
my Win10 computer has carked it
well the C drive has
guess I won't be getting my teeth fixed now, or else I will and find another hobby
still have the Win7 and Filament
Worthy complaint.

Are you sure it's just the storage? Is it a desktop or laptop? Storage is cheap these days, (unless you're going for super size or speed). Are you able to replace/rebuild the "C" drive yourself?
cannot boot up, my 3D content all on externals so at least have most of that
stupidly my scenes all saved in documents though so will lose that, rarely revisit old ones so not a total loss
The I Miss the Old Days Complaint ThreadWendyLuvsCatz said:
my Win10 computer has carked it
well the C drive has
guess I won't be getting my teeth fixed now, or else I will and find another hobby
still have the Win7 and Filament
Worthy complaint.

Are you sure it's just the storage? Is it a desktop or laptop? Storage is cheap these days, (unless you're going for super size or speed). Are you able to replace/rebuild the "C" drive yourself?
The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Threadmy Win10 computer has carked it
well the C drive has
guess I won't be getting my teeth fixed now, or else I will and find another hobby
still have the Win7 and Filament














