The April, 2015 Freebie Challenge: April Foolishness and Other General Silliness

Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
edited April 2015 in Freebies

April Foolishness and Other General Silliness

This is an opportunity to let your silly out. Show us the silliest, wackiest, craziest renders you can come up with.

Let your inner Clown or Jokester come out and play.

You are only limited by your imagination (and the rules and DAZ’s TOS)

Special thanks go to Slimer_J_Spud for the inspiration for the theme ( I hope to see a really wacky, crazy, silly render from you ) and to Robkelk and Estroyer for their generous donations to the prize pool.

The prizes are sponsored by DAZ plus additional prizes from Robkelk and Estroyer:

First Place: $15 store credit from DAZ3D plus a xylophone donated by Robkelk; a set of M5 poses and a mystery prop from Estoryer; a single room from music2u4u

Second Place: $12 store credit from DAZ3D plus a xylophone donated by Robkelk; a set of M5 poses from Estroyer; a single room from music2u4u

Third Place: $8 store credit from DAZ3D plus a xylophone donated by Robkelk; a set of M5 poses from Estroyer; a single room from music2u4u

HM #1: a single room from music2u4u

HM #2: a single room from music2u4u

If anyone would like to donate any additional prizes, please let me know.

Judges

I can also use some help Judging if anyone would like to volunteer.

Judge #1: Gulan7
Judge #2: Estroyer
Judge #3: ?

2015-04-banner.png
300 x 78 - 48K
Post edited by Kismet2012 on

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

I will try to create a banner tonight but if anyone would like to offer something please go ahead. If you do please keep in mind it needs to be a PNG file.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited March 2015

This sounds like a good place to donate a prize... Back near New Year's, Poser World did a "give us enough money and we'll make a model especially for you" deal. I gave them enough money, and they made a xylophone for me. Not a toy - a concert-quality xylophone. I've been letting them share it with their customers, and now I'll share it with the first, second, and third place finishers. (Yes, I have the rights to the model and can legally do this.)

Let's be honest - a xylophone is a rather silly instrument, comparatively speaking.

Post edited by robkelk on
    edited March 2015

robkelk said:

This sounds like a good place to donate a prize... Back near New Year's, Poser World did a "give us enough money and we'll make a model especially for you" deal. I gave them enough money, and they made a xylophone for me. Not a toy - a concert-quality xylophone. I've been letting them share it with their customers, and now I'll share it with the first, second, and third place finishers. (Yes, I have the rights to the model and can legally do this.)

Let's be honest - a xylophone is a rather silly instrument, comparatively speaking.

Thanks Rob. I have updated the prize list. :)

I have also posted the banner in the first post.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,949
    edited December 1969

I am in for the judge :) interesting theme I have to add.

edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    I am in for the judge :) interesting theme I have to add.

Thank you for volunteering to judge Gulan.

Slimer_J_Spud suggested it and it did seem appropriate for April.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited April 2015

Oh! I'd like to donate my M5 pose set and a surprise prop that I can't tell because it isn't out yet ;)
    And if you need another judge, I'm your man (err woman)

Post edited by Sylvan on
    edited April 2015

Estroyer said:
    Oh! I'd like to donate my M5 pose set and a surprise prop that I can't tell because it isn't out yet ;)
    And if you need another judge, I'm your man (err woman)

Thank you very much Estroyer. :cheese:

First post has been updated with the additional prizes generously donated by Estroyer.

• edited December 1969

Thank you so much for the generous prize donations, the great theme, and those who have volunteered to judge. Here's the deal... lemme get three rounds in, and I will be your girl for judging. I want to learn enough about the contest and what other deem as worthy by how they pick the winners before I jump in to judge. AND, when I get my modelling gloves back on, now that I have been chided back into using blender, and figure out how to rig bones here in Daz, I will be up for donating models to the prize packages too. Thanks you all for making this contest possible, I never thought I was going to love it as much as I do!

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

It looks like we're off to a good start! Glad to contribute the theme. It's an apt reminder that this stuff is supposed to be fun! :lol:

I think we might have to get a judgement on the question of whether or not today's new "slapstick" item is allowed or not. I mean, the possibilities for outrageous situations with such an item are so huge, it might be considered unfair competition. :lol:

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Okay -- DING! -- I'm confused. What's the new slapstick item? The Chia Hair? The mouse? Surely not the xylophone, even if the person who commissioned it thinks the vibes are "silly".

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Okay -- DING! -- I'm confused. What's the new slapstick item? The Chia Hair? The mouse? Surely not the xylophone, even if the person who commissioned it thinks the vibes are "silly".

http://www.daz3d.com/slapstick-for-genesis-2-male-s

Bringing Buster Keaton to a silly contest is like bringing a Tommy gun to a knife fight. Or an H-bomb to a pie-throwing contest. It would be a purchased item, but as it only requires a base model, you would not go over on the purchased items limit. Setting such comic potential loose on these forums is dangerous! :lol:

I once had the pleasure of seeing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_(1926_film) live with live accompaniment. It was at the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto. They have a massive pipe organ and the performance was top rate. Most of the time you see a silent on TV, the accompaniment is so bad, it ruins the movie. Even TCM, who makes a specialty of showing silent films can't get a great musical accompaniment arranged. They use whatever the film was restored with. If you ever get a chance to see a silent movie live, with live accompaniment. do it. (Link above does not work, but copy and paste does.)

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/slapstick-for-genesis-2-male-s

Bringing Buster Keaton to a silly contest is like bringing a Tommy gun to a knife fight. Or an H-bomb to a pie-throwing contest. It would be a purchased item, but as it only requires a base model, you would not go over on the purchased items limit. Setting such comic potential loose on these forums is dangerous! :lol:

I once had the pleasure of seeing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_(1926_film) live with live accompaniment. It was at the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto. They have a massive pipe organ and the performance was top rate. Most of the time you see a silent on TV, the accompaniment is so bad, it ruins the movie. Even TCM, who makes a specialty of showing silent films can't get a great musical accompaniment arranged. They use whatever the film was restored with. If you ever get a chance to see a silent movie live, with live accompaniment. do it. (Link above does not work, but copy and paste does.)

The rules state you are allowed up to 3 paid items...it does not indicate what those items have to be. :coolgrin:

The idea, of course, is to use free items but sometimes there just isn't a free comparative item available. In that case the paid for item is allowed.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited April 2015

I wanted to ask a couple of questions about donating stuff...
    Model wise, that is.
    I don't actually have anything ready at the moment, but in the future ( May 26, 2047 around 11:37'22 AM EST)...(maybe sooner), if I were to donate something... What is the standard protocol?

If I donate something, is it acceptable to eventually release it as a freebie, but just give it a long while before doing so?

Or is it preferable that it just be an exclusive item?

Are things like texture sets (seamless textures) good for this?

Do the items (models) have to correspond to the theme or can they just be anything?

Two Amtrak trains are passing through Newark station. Train A is traveling south at 32 MPH and the other, train B North at 47 MPH. The average distance between stops is 15.4 miles. Train A is headed to a point 8 stops away and train B is headed to a stop 16 stops away.
    How many days will it take for them to reach their destinations?
    A- 12. B- .06 feet. C- Twinkies. D-Never, they will accidentally be rerouted to the wrong city. J- None of the above (alongside). G- What?

That last question was not fair since it wasn't really related to anything covered in this thread , but I figured since everyone loves a surprise math quiz, why not just throw that in.

Also, I'd volunteer to be a judge and help out, but I'm paradoxically prone to being overly judgmental, while simultaneously exhibiting poor judgement... Which can easily be exemplified by my latest invention "Bee Pants" which are in fact made of live bees, and not tiny pants for bees as most stupid people believe.
    The bad judgement part was the pants being made of live stinging, angry bees hot glued to each other... The judgmental part was calling people who don't like them, "stupid"...
    I have very complex ideas and motives, so I do not think I should volunteer.
    That and the insanity really complicates matters.

Well, thank you for your time and I hope the generally manner in which I asked this question corresponded with the general theme of this month's challenge and caused little if any permanent damage to anyone.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

Model wise, that is.
    I don't actually have anything ready at the moment, but in the future ( May 26, 2047 around 11:37'22 AM EST)...(maybe sooner), if I were to donate something... What is the standard protocol?

Also, I'd volunteer to be a judge and help out, but I'm paradoxically prone to being overly judgmental, while simultaneously exhibiting poor judgement... Which can easily be exemplified by my latest invention "Bee Pants" which are in fact made of live bees, and not tiny pants for bees as most stupid people believe.
    The bad judgement part was the pants being made of live stinging, angry bees hot glued to each other... The judgmental part was calling people who don't like them, "stupid"...

Well, thank you for your time and I hope the generally manner in which I asked this question corresponded with the general theme of this month's challenge and caused little if any permanent damage to anyone.

If you'll donate the bee pants you can judge, I think. But don't ask me.

Oh, wait. You didn't.

edited December 1969

Model wise, that is.

If you'll donate the bee pants you can judge, I think. But don't ask me.

Oh, wait. You didn't.

Some people have absolutely no fashion sense whatsoever. Who wouldn't want to wear a pair of pants made out of bees? No two pair would ever be exactly the same.

I do not consider insanity a bad thing in a judge...in fact, it could be helpful. :cheese:

As for the donation of prizes, I am only a Host and am willing to accept any [strike]bribes[/strike] donations anyone cares to make. But if you would like more clarification on the rules for the donation then I would wait for a ruling from music.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2015

Well I am not Music, but I am one of the ETOs and Usually we accept any donations for prizes that we deem will be accepted by the majority as a worthwhile prize. And I think most people have a great giggle at most of your items.

Edited to add I am sure that a prize offering from you will surely be in the right veil for the theme of this months challenge :coolgrin:

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well I am not Music, but I am one of the ETOs and Usually we accept any donations for prizes that we deem will be accepted by the majority as a worthwhile prize. And I think most people have a great giggle at most of your items.

Edited to add I am sure that a prize offering from you will surely be in the right veil for the theme of this months challenge :coolgrin:

Thanks Chohole. I always forget who the ETO's are for this Challenge. :red:

edited April 2015

I think I am the only one who is really active at the moment, as Jeeperz has some real life health problems. (and I am not as active as I should be as sometimes I do get a bit stretched with other duties)

I forgot to tell [style=buttonLarge]lordvicore[/style] that normally we try to keep them as exclusive for at least a few months. Mine have sometimes been recycled as prizes a time or two and Music has a pool of offering that he brings back from time to time as prizes as well, and I do have some that have never been made free for everyone. It is up to you really. As to textures. My freebie offerings and hence my prize offerings are alwasy textures, as it it what I used to do, before I stopped doing them for various reasons.

• RbugRbug Posts: 166
    edited December 1969

Freebie Grand Loo By shifting images
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/78166/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/The-Grand-Loo-Scene-for-DAZ-Studio-Part-1
    No count: G2M Daz studio
    Comercial count: Raw Art's Wither....
    Hope this is correct and in the right spot....First time posting...

Image title Hey you didn't flush

hey_you_didnt_flush_(2).jpg
    1132 x 1536 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Rbug said:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/78166/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/The-Grand-Loo-Scene-for-DAZ-Studio-Part-1

Welcome to the Freebie Challenge Rbug.

It is a great image but unfortunately I cannot accept it as an entry. According to the rules there must be a minimum of 10 freebie items.

You can find the complete rules here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/286/

There is still plenty of time left if you would like to resubmit the image with a complete list of freebie items used.

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited April 2015

Rbug said:

It is a great image but unfortunately I cannot accept it as an entry. According to the rules there must be a minimum of 10 freebie items.

You can find the complete rules here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/286/

There is still plenty of time left if you would like to resubmit the image with a complete list of freebie items used.

Okay, you count the used freebie as one ... the description of the freebie said

The file contains 12 separate props in .duf format for DAZ studio.

Is it now one or twleve?

Post edited by RCTSpanky on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

Rbug said:

Okay, you count the used freebie as one ... the description of the freebie said

The file contains 12 separate props in .duf format for DAZ studio.

Is it now one or twleve?

Is it one product, or twelve products?

Dana

edited December 1969

This is one product which has 12 parts to it.

As the Freebie Challenge is now a DAZ 3D Official Contest I am going to refer this matter to the DAZ 3D contest coordinator for official input, in order to stem any controversy in the thread Please cooperate with us on this while it is debated off forum Thankyou.

edited April 2015

In the meantime bring on the cream pies and let's continue with the foolishness and sillyness. :coolgrin:

silliness-quotes-2.jpg
    863 x 773 - 55K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited April 2015

Do discontinued store products (no longer available anywhere) count as No Count or against the Commercial load?

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • RbugRbug Posts: 166
    edited December 1969

ummm didn't mean to start anything like a debate.... I am already adding more freebies to the thing....... anyone know where i can get some free water dribbles, as i think this image needs some. and all i have is a paid item that looks terrible.... and well postwork is not allowed so any ideas.... Can i use my PSD files if i turn them into props... That might work too

edited April 2015

Do discontinued store products (no longer available anywhere) count as No Count or against the Commercial load?

That is another very good point. My gut feeling is that they are still technically commercial, as they were paid for items and no one else can use them if they don't already own them.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited April 2015

OK I've gone and reviewed the rule which is:

1. A minimum of 10 freebies

While I do believe the intent is "10 different freebie products or 10 different free packs", it is not explicitly stated so I can see how someone could think it would mean "10 different items must be in the image that were free" so using pieces from one large freebie could potentially count. Considering that, I think this month that specific entry should be allowed and the rule should be updated to be a little more clear and going forward then there can be no confusion.

I would probably reword the rule to:

1. A minimum of 10 different freebie products (10 products all from different packs)
    or
    2. A minimum of 10 different freebie products with 10 different links

or something similar to that just to be sure it is more clear. (You all can discuss the best wording to describe it or even add in an example to illustrate it) Granted you all can be more specific than that even if that doesn't even fully explain (IE 1. A minimum of 10 different freebie products from at least xyz different sites etc)

Of note to everyone participating, I apologize for any confusion. When making rules for a contest, often times you know what you mean and others may know as well but someone else may read it entirely different. It happens, and from time to time reviewing and updating as those things come up is necessary. We've had to do that in almost every contest on the website at one time or another. It is a necessary and vital part of any contest and hopefully this should alleviate any misunderstandings going forward :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

That is another very good point. My gut feeling is that they are still technically commercial, as they were paid for items and no one else can use them if they don't already own them.

I would agree with that assessment I think. If you bought it, regardless if it is still available or not, you bought it so that would make said item commercial :)

• SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited April 2015

Oggie the Supermodel!
    Just because Oggie was a 6ft tall red ogre did not mean he did not have dreams! He was going to be a super model!

Paid:
    Genesis Morphs Bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-evolution-morph-bundle
    Genesis Creature Creator
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-creature-creator-bundle

Not available:
    Creature Skin Red (custom made by me!)

Freebie
    Genesis base shape
    Genesis default walking pose
    Pusey Designs Jeans
    https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_product.php?id=30 (*)
    Pusey Designs Vest (NA Outfit)
    https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_product.php?id=35 (*)
    Pusey Designs tshirt
    https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_product.php?id=27 (*)
    golf shoes for G2M
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/73517/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Golf-Outfit-for-Genesis-2-Male (*)

V4 Model
    VYK Josie
    http://www.vyktohria.com/products - copy.htm
    Autumn Spirit Hair
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=69475 (*)
    Autum Spirt Hair Colors
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=66549 (*)
    v4 Angle Shirt
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=51494 (*)
    skirt
    http://pfdlives.com/pfd/index.php?topic=6254.0 (*)
    shoes
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/46946/browse/11/Poser/Encounter-V4(*)
    pose
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/61402/browse/11/Poser/V4-M4-Secrets (*)

Other
    Leather Shader
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=74602 (*)
    Cloth shader (Stars Treats Retro Grunge Shader)
    http://bouncingdog.blogspot.com/p/shaders-and-textures.html
    KerWar's Fancies
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/59005/browse/7/Material-and-Shader/KerWar-Fancies-01 (*)
    Stage
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/48382/browse/11/Poser/Trade-Show-Stage (*)
    Lighting
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=72553
    Drapes (Nike Art Corner, near the bottom)
    http://nikeimage.hu/free.html

Registration required (*)

supermodel02.jpg
    1000 x 1092 - 423K
    Post edited by Sassanik on