IRM2019 Storytelling Feedback [Completed!]

Comments

• I'm really enjoying your insightful feedback on these pictures, I'm quite inspired to enter something myself next time.

However, in your feedback to Edward & Tane you say...

Alfred Hitchcock did this for the movie "The Shining"

I think you meant to say Stanley Kubrick!

• I'm really enjoying your insightful feedback on these pictures, I'm quite inspired to enter something myself next time.

However, in your feedback to Edward & Tane you say...

Alfred Hitchcock did this for the movie "The Shining"

I think you meant to say Stanley Kubrick!

You are indeed right, thanks for the correction :D! Will fix my post.

Also, thank you for joining us. Glad you're enjoying the thread and hope you do enter the competition this year!

• cismic said:

New feedback added for @cismic. I'll add more feedback later tonight for the next user!

I certainly appreciate the feedback. It will take me awhile. :-) As, I plan on working your pointers into the images. The contest was a fun. 

Thank you., Joseph

My pleasure, @cismic. I look forward to see the updated version(es), Joseph!

• Added feedback for @Diomede today since I may not have electricity tomorrow. This week @Scorpio was supposed to also get feedback but given recent developments over at the winners announcement thread, I'm waiting to hear back from him/her.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088
    edited February 2020

Added feedback for @Diomede today since I may not have electricity tomorrow. This week @Scorpio was supposed to also get feedback but given recent developments over at the winners announcement thread, I'm waiting to hear back from him/her.

Thank you very much.  Excellent suggestions.  I mentioned that I am traveling so it will be some time before I can try to improve my images, but I wanted to make sure you knew I was paying attention.  

Off-Topic.  For baseball fans, I am outside Pensacola, Florida driving to West Palm Beach to see some Spring Training.   Wondering how many times I will see Houston Astro players gets beaned.  surprise 

Post edited by Diomede on
  • scorpio said:

I'm also interested in feedback if and when possible. Thanks.

Thank you for your interest! I'll have your feedback next week as well :).

Looking forward to your thoughts on this one. :) Thank you.

Thank you for your interest, you can find the feedback on the second post of this thread ;).

Daventaki said:

I am also interested in any feedback that you might provide.

Thank you for your interest! I'll have your feedback in two weeks at the latest!

Thank you!  Totally missed it.  I'll take some time and do some reasearch on your references. XD

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,061

My pleasure and safe travels, @Diomede! I look forward to your updated renders if you want to share them here :).

@DarwinsMishap, my pleasure. I hope those suggestions were useful :).

Updated the thread with @Scorpio's feedback!

I will update again with new feedback on Friday!

Threat updated with feedback for @Daventaki and @SBibb!

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Thank you!   I have read your feedback and very interesting info!  I have bookmarked the site about angles to read more into it later, never realized that the angle would portray so much information.

You're welcome, @Daventaki. Indeed, for still pictures, the fastest way to communicate things is through angles and colors/lights. And you'd be surprised how much thought involves even framing a scene. Here's a video I came across recently for Knive's Out which I wanted to share with you all (and your comment just reminded me of it):

• SBibbSBibb Posts: 596

Thank you for the feedback! :-D

I love the idea about portraying the storyteller's story with the shadows or the fire; I hadn't thought about doing that. It's something I definitely want to give a try.

Your short story with the goblin chasing after his apple is really cute! (So, how does he get his apple back? Do they share? Does the centaur give it back?) :-D

I'll have to see if I can think of various twists I might be able to use, and I really like the idea of a challenge to tell that story without words.

It'll be sometime after next week before I'll have a chance to test your ideas, but I look forward to giving them a try. Thanks again! :-D

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

You're welcome, @Daventaki. Indeed, for still pictures, the fastest way to communicate things is through angles and colors/lights. And you'd be surprised how much thought involves even framing a scene. Here's a video I came across recently for Knive's Out which I wanted to share with you all (and your comment just reminded me of it):

Very interesting video!  I haven't done a whole lot been feeling under the weather.  I have been watching the camera positions and such on the tv.  Something that I never really noticed before!

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,335

Updated the thread with @Scorpio's feedback!

I will update again with new feedback on Friday!

Thank you.

Sorry its taken me so long to reply, I've had a quick look through and its really interesteing points you make and I relaly love your use of colour on the Our Hero image. 
    I'm hoping to have time tonight to look through again and possibly redo at least one image.

@SBibb, my pleasure! What the Goblin does with the apple should serve your message. For example, if the moral of the story is to share, then perhaps they can all share the apple in the end. You could also give it a second twist, showing that the little cat actually wanted to thank his Centaur friend for having saved him. So he didn't steal the apple, he simply didn't see the Goblin. And, once again, the crime becomes more of an accident. I look forward to seeing where you'll take the story!

@Daventaki, indeed! Once you know what to look for you won't be able to stop spotting it! I remember back in college I took an amazing cinematography class. The professor told us the first day "once you take this class, you'll never be able to see movies the same way again. That will either make you happy or disappoint you, but you can't go back" and he was right. So now if the narrative and the cinematography do not match, I tend to be disappointed. 

@Scorpio, my pleasure! You can always post the updated versions here if you want. I certainly would love seeing them, but life comes first :).

@everyone interested, I should have new feedback posted either tonight or tomorrow!

New feedback for @kimh and @mori_mann has been added to the first page!

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Thank you for the feedback! I see it says 'to be continued', so I'm going to say 'so far' :)

I hope to find some time to play aroud with it. Fun fact: the framing was originally going to be different, to show the whole horse, but as happens all the time, I kinda fell in love with this angle and frame. Blame that on me being rather attached to my characters ;) It's not always to the benefit of the image as a whole, sadly.

I'll attach a quick render from the original camera. Narrowing the DOF there would probably make it less about the horse and more about Khith.

Running to Her RM Feedback 1.png
    1000 x 800 - 1M

@mori_mann, this is an excellent render! I think adding a blur path would help give it a sense of movement. I would also suggest moving the tail of the horse up to make it seem like the wind is blowing. The character's hair will be trickier to adjust to the movement unless it has movements morphs you can play with.

And don't get me wrong, the close-up is beautiful as well, but this communicates the story better.

As to the "to be continued" that's just so people who still haven't gotten feedback know that I'm still going through the list. :)

• LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 402

I'm always interested in learning how to improve, and thank you for all the effort you're putting into this thread. It's been really interesting to read - every post gives me new things to think about.

@LaPartita, I'll add you to the list! Glad you've found the thread useful :).

@Vwrangler, I apologize for skipping you! Just noticed that you're feedback should've gone before SBibb's if I'd followed my own post/list instead of looking at whoever posted. Will make sure yours is the next feedback I post.

@everyone, so I was unable to post any feedback last week and I might be unable to post anything this week as well. I'm feeling extremely burned out given that we had 2 weeks to prepare products for the Ogre that came out yesterday. One of the product made it in time, while I've been fighting with the seams of the second product (which also means I've had no free time and had had to work on three consecutive weekends). Needless to say, without the pressure of the deadline, I want to take it easy this week and get some needed rest (certainly the pandemic isn't helping).

I hope you're all okay and I apologize for going MIA. If I'm able, I'll try to post some feedback this week (no promises, though). I also don't want to give a half-assed critique to the ones awaiting their feedback in an effort to stick to a timeframe while I'm feeling so tired/frustrated.

I thank you for your understanding. ~Giselle

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,162

FenixPhoenix please take me off your feedback list. I would rather you rested and be able to focus on your products. I've learnt so much from you already through your many posts across the forum and in so many ways you have improved how I use Daz Studio and create my art. Please look after yourself.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088

Wishing you all the best.  Thank you for all the great information.  Rest up!

If you get a chance down the road, would love to read more, but please take care of yourself first.  These are very difficult times.

@Mollytabby, thank you, but don't worry. I will give feedback as promised. Nonetheless, the sentiment is really appreciated. :) I've at least now figured out how to fix the product that was giving me no end of problems (seams, pesky seams!), so I am back on track. After a good weekend rest, I should be up and running again.

@Diomede, thank you for the wishes! I love doing this, so there's still more to come. I just ended up chewing more than I could bite for the last couple of weeks. And coffee can only take me so far, lol.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,839

@Vwrangler, I apologize for skipping you! Just noticed that you're feedback should've gone before SBibb's if I'd followed my own post/list instead of looking at whoever posted. Will make sure yours is the next feedback I post.

Oh, don't worry about it. I didn't realize it was out of order, and also ....

@everyone, so I was unable to post any feedback last week and I might be unable to post anything this week as well. I'm feeling extremely burned out given that we had 2 weeks to prepare products for the Ogre that came out yesterday. One of the product made it in time, while I've been fighting with the seams of the second product (which also means I've had no free time and had had to work on three consecutive weekends). Needless to say, without the pressure of the deadline, I want to take it easy this week and get some needed rest (certainly the pandemic isn't helping).

I hope you're all okay and I apologize for going MIA. If I'm able, I'll try to post some feedback this week (no promises, though). I also don't want to give a half-assed critique to the ones awaiting their feedback in an effort to stick to a timeframe while I'm feeling so tired/frustrated.

I thank you for your understanding. ~Giselle

Actual livelihood stuff certainly takes precedence! Whenever you get to it will be fine.

Honestly, I'm impressed that you're able to get anything done. My ability to focus has largely gone pffft these days.

• Take your time. It's no big deal. Your work is more important.

• Take your time and, most important, take care of yourself. Virtual hug.

vwrangler said:

Honestly, I'm impressed that you're able to get anything done. My ability to focus has largely gone pffft these days.

What's happening in the world is quite surreal and I'd be lying if I said it hasn't taken its toll. It's harder to focus and I started feeling tired all the time. Last Friday, I caved and bought Animal Crossing: New Horizons and, needless to say, it's helped tremendously in helping me relax. I highly recommend it!

Take your time. It's no big deal. Your work is more important.

Thank you for your understanding. I finally managed to fix the issue yesterday (after quite a few back and forths with my DAZ tester) in a eureka moment right before lunch. At the very least that's over with and next time the issues arise, I'll know where to look. I'm a bit behind on another product which I'm hoping to finish packaging and submit today.

Take your time and, most important, take care of yourself. Virtual hug.

Aww thank you, (> ^_^)> *virtual hug back*.

@everyone, I should be able to get back into finding references and giving feedback this weekend. Meaning, next week I should be submitting new feedback (since I'll use the weekend to script out the next feedback and find references). Thank you all for your understanding and stay safe!

• kimhkimh Posts: 386
    edited April 2020

I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I have seen the feedback and I do appreciate the time you take to provide feedback. I want to work on some of the suggestions you made as I do like working to improve. I am not sure when but I will. And if I don't get to it before next year's contest, then at least I have some idea of things to make my creation better Cheers stay safe and stay healthy....Kim 

Post edited by kimh on
  • SBibbSBibb Posts: 596

I'm glad you're feeling better now, and please, do take care of yourself. I'm glad you also figured out the problem with the product you're working on-- most definitely not fun getting stuck on something.

I also wanted to give an update to say that I've got a story idea in mind for the "no words" series of renders you suggested I try for the "Misstep in the Apple Grove." :-)

I've only managed to complete one additional render for it so far, but I hope to do more of them as time allows, and once I have at least a small cohesive segment rendered, share them. :-)

kimh said:

I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I have seen the feedback and I do appreciate the time you take to provide feedback. I want to work on some of the suggestions you made as I do like working to improve. I am not sure when but I will. And if I don't get to it before next year's contest, then at least I have some idea of things to make my creation better Cheers stay safe and stay healthy....Kim 

Glad the feedback was helpful. If you ever want to share, you are always free to do so here :). Stay safe as well!

SBibb said:

I'm glad you're feeling better now, and please, do take care of yourself. I'm glad you also figured out the problem with the product you're working on-- most definitely not fun getting stuck on something.

I also wanted to give an update to say that I've got a story idea in mind for the "no words" series of renders you suggested I try for the "Misstep in the Apple Grove." :-)

I've only managed to complete one additional render for it so far, but I hope to do more of them as time allows, and once I have at least a small cohesive segment rendered, share them. :-)

Thank you, the product is coming very soon, so I'm excited to see how it does! And I look forward to your renders whenever you want to share!