Stop Daz changing the Surface names on export [Solved]

AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Hi, I want to adjust a figure in Blender but Daz is adding the name of the figure to all the surfaces. How can I stop it doing that while keeping the surfaces? I want to be able to import it back and just copy and the paste the surfaces or at least I want to be able to import it back and not have to redo all the surfaces. I don't mind which as long as I don't have to spend ages redoing them. It's made harder by being on a laptop it wouldn't be so bad if I had a really large screen but sill a lot of work. 

Thanks

Post edited by AbnerK on

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

I used the Developer Kit Script to export as an obj which comes with the Genesis 8 Essentials.

How are you exporting and importing the model?

Capto_Capture 2020-01-27_03-49-40_AM.png
    1076 x 882 - 755K
  • AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718
    edited January 2020

Oh, thanks for the response.  I'm just going to the File menu 

How do you do it?

I still use 2.79. I don't really use it enough to put myself through trying to learn the new UI.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 13.32.02.png
    2880 x 1800 - 886K
    Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 13.37.13.png
    1034 x 500 - 112K
    Post edited by AbnerK on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816

there are a few obj export options too

maybe surface names better than figure names for example 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited January 2020

As Wendy says, specifically you want to select Use Existing in the Group Names section. You may need to click the Show Individual Settings button at the bottom of the options dialogue to see that.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

there are a few obj export options too

maybe surface names better than figure names for example 

Thanks. I tried that but it makes no odds. I tried a few different options for the export but none I happened on made any difference. I can work around the immediate problem but it's prohibitively slow to do this very often. 

edited January 2020

As Wendy says, specifically you want to select Use Existing in the Group Names section. You may need to click the Show Individual Settings button at the bottom of the options dialogue to see that.

Thanks, Richard, that didn't work either. This is my latest attempt,

imageimage

I'm pretty sure that's how I had it set up orginally. I've tried so many options I've now forgotten. I should have screenshotted my original settings.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 14.32.34.png
    928 x 956 - 155K
    Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 14.34.29.png
    982 x 436 - 97K
    Post edited by AbnerK on
  • Are you sure that's the right OBJ? The surface names should not be there with those option names, and I've not had a problem in the past.

Thanks Richard, 

yeah, I had that idea too so I renamed the files including the time so I knew I wasn't getting mixed up. I just did it again with the other G3M and the same problem. 

As I said I do have a work around but It takes time and I would have thought I shouldn't need the work around. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 15.35.10.png
    2880 x 1800 - 746K
    Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 15.35.15.png
    2880 x 1800 - 1M

I used the Developer Kit Script to export as an obj which comes with the Genesis 8 Essentials.

How are you exporting and importing the model?

Would you tell us what that is and how to use it? :)

• You want the "Use Surface Names" radio button instead of the "Existing Groups" one. I believe Existing Groups is the vertex groups for weight painting, probably not what you are interested in. The Surface Names corresponds to the material zones, which probably is what you want, as it does not include the name of the figure.

And isn't using Blender 2.79 because you don't want to learn a new UI like saying "I'll just stay here in the Black Hole of Calcutta because I don't want to pay the nominal moving cost to a free house in the Palisades..."? :)

• Sorry, I thought the one with the surface names was the one that was wrong not the one that was right.

edited January 2020

You want the "Use Surface Names" radio button instead of the "Existing Groups" one. I believe Existing Groups is the vertex groups for weight painting, probably not what you are interested in. The Surface Names corresponds to the material zones, which probably is what you want, as it does not include the name of the figure.

And isn't using Blender 2.79 because you don't want to learn a new UI like saying "I'll just stay here in the Black Hole of Calcutta because I don't want to pay the nominal moving cost to a free house in the Palisades..."? :)

I tried that one, it still appears with the figure name from Daz appended. I think I've tried everything. I used iray shaders and 3dlight. I think I've ticked every box that looks like it might be right. I had given up until I decided to try swapping iray and 3dlight. 

Sorry, I thought the one with the surface names was the one that was wrong not the one that was right.

Sorry, Richard I'm not sure what you mean. 

Daz is appending the name, given to the asset, on to the surface names on export which means when you import that asset back into Daz you can't just copy and paste all the surfaces in one go. Without the workaround I'd have to copy each surface individually. 

I'm surprised I'm the only one having this issue. I suppose if you only import as a morph it isn't as issue. I'm importing the whole figure, clothes and all in, one obj after some work in Blender. 

It looks like I'll have to use a workaround if I do this again. 

Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 21.57.05.png
    666 x 442 - 88K
    Post edited by AbnerK on
  • Material names don't get chnaged for me, using Existing for group names. The otpions in the dialogue are for changing group names, not surfaces. If you activate the Geoemtry Editor tool in DS and look at Tool Settings you will see both groups and surfaces listed.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

The developer kit is part of the Essentials for Genesis.

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-starter-essentials

You should already have it installed if you're using Genesis 8. Open the Genesis 8 male or femal folder and you should see the developer kit. First item should be the script. Select the figure and double click the script icon. Rename the file and tell it where to save. Import into Blender with Keep Vertex Order and polygorups on.

Material names don't get chnaged for me, using Existing for group names. The otpions in the dialogue are for changing group names, not surfaces. If you activate the Geoemtry Editor tool in DS and look at Tool Settings you will see both groups and surfaces listed.

Thanks Richard, I know, but I was willing to try anything. I have tried everything so far.

I just tried Cris's method though and it worked! Yeah! 

The developer kit is part of the Essentials for Genesis.

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-starter-essentials

You should already have it installed if you're using Genesis 8. Open the Genesis 8 male or femal folder and you should see the developer kit. First item should be the script. Select the figure and double click the script icon. Rename the file and tell it where to save. Import into Blender with Keep Vertex Order and polygorups on.

WOW! Thank you so much Chris! that worked perfectly. You don't get any options for sizing but that isn't such a big deal. I sometimes don't bother anyway. Yeah! I've created a short cut for that!

edited January 2020

Yes! I think my brain finally absorbed your advice Richard. You're like a spiritual guide, you don't always give the answer on a plate but always lead me to the answer. :D (Maybe I'm just too slow :)) This configuration ticked all the boxes, so to speak. :) I'll keep it bookmarked because I'm sure to fiddle at another time. :) Oh, I know I can save a configuration but, I just know I'll lose the preference in some hiccup.

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 16.21.01.png
    926 x 954 - 152K
    Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 16.20.26.png
    720 x 494 - 89K
    Post edited by AbnerK on
  • Heh, I don't intend to be gnomic.

Heh, I don't intend to be gnomic.

:D