Building a Star - How would you do it?

Build A Star

Below is a zipped PDF document of how these two distinct stars were created in Hexagon... How would you go about it?

Selina

zip
zip
Creating the Stars.zip
2M

Comments

• Miss Bad WolfMiss Bad Wolf Posts: 17,876

Oh, I never thought of it.  At first I thought you were talking about a realistic star (like the sun which is a star by the way).   Now I see you are talking about a toonish star. Put a face on it and rig it and it becomes a toon starfish.

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 246

I'd do them about the same way as you did. Doing something similar with 6-fingered creatures.

• SelinaSelina Posts: 688

Thanks ShawnDriscoll, can always rely on you to be helpful - wink

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 9,235

I would turn off smoothing but build them the same way it looks like you have done.

• mach25mach25 Posts: 56
    edited August 4

1:first approach I trained alot when modelling was extrude/sweep ,and I experimented with octagon and other shapes so I made a fish,you know the approach like modelling with clay

2:build up shape with different primitives I see you have tried that one too

3:if you have engineer background/CAD, you maybe is more used to use 2d curves/lines and extract a 3rd dimension ,I made a heart that way,some objects are perfect for that technique

I think you did a great job Selina

Post edited by mach25 on
  • The last star I made was an origami style one, 4 points with a flat cube in the center.

• FlashGarciaFlashGarcia Posts: 290

Selina,

Have you been watching, "Warning from Space."? It is one of the goofiest of the 1960s Japanese SF films. I attached some screen shots of the alien star creatures from the film.

How about being lazy and using Corel Draw for the shapes of your "stars" and then extruding them in Hexagon, or by using the new "cutout" plugin for Carrara and then puffing up the "star" shape with the balloon option.

dress code 2011.jpg
    640 x 480 - 27K
    star1creatures.jpg
    640 x 480 - 28K

Thanks nonesuch00, using chamfer instead of smoothing is a great idea!

Great to have your encouragement mach25

I thought you were going to describe how you constructed a grid and fashioned it into a star Wee Dangerous John origami-style... here's an origami paper plane I did earlier

FlashGarcia - been there, done that - not as good a result sorry to say on both... they were attempts 1 and 2 (see comments)

• Miss Bad WolfMiss Bad Wolf Posts: 17,876

Selina,

Have you been watching, "Warning from Space."? It is one of the goofiest of the 1960s Japanese SF films. I attached some screen shots of the alien star creatures from the film.

How about being lazy and using Corel Draw for the shapes of your "stars" and then extruding them in Hexagon, or by using the new "cutout" plugin for Carrara and then puffing up the "star" shape with the balloon option.

I do not have Corel Draw unfortunately any more.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 379

Selina,

I do not have Corel Draw unfortunately any more.

Then use Inkscape instead.

• SweetleafSweetleaf Posts: 28
    edited August 5

I hope you don't mind, but I used this as a quick exercise. These were my two.

One was created from a cylinder and the other from a sphere.

zip
    zip
    Starries.zip
    Post edited by Sweetleaf on

That's lovely Sweetleaf - but could we have a step-by-step as I have done?

• SweetleafSweetleaf Posts: 28

Well I was quite surprised that it actually didn't crash during the making of either of thsoe two stars. I will attempt to make a step-by-step for both of them in the next few days for you.

• FlashGarciaFlashGarcia Posts: 290

This video may help. It is for Blender, but the basic modeling methods can be replicated in Hexagon. It is on how to make a "starfish". I would jump into this challenge but I am busy with a Bryce animation and want to get it done before I start loosing enthusiasm for it from frustration and annoying render times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trzmf3GleAs

well almost wrote a poem about stars(it doesnt rhyme) and want to make something that match it

edited August 11

just for fun I tried with lattice,but to make something with precision you need to have control of make it with help of hires greyscale map made in 2d program and import it

so I guess I have to make star with hexagon and import to my animation,just tested with make a animation that shows many aspects of star,unfortunatly exporting it to gif doesnt work well

Post edited by mach25 on

thanks Selina for making me use incremental save all the way,not a toon star,but different star

1:started with cones and tested different numbers of sections until I choosed 32 different sections around+minimum sections

so it looked like 32 pizza slices

2:cut out 16 of them,every other

3:rearranged them so their pointy ends became outwards until I got a 2d star with 16 points

4:mark all 16

5:open up surface modelling and choose thickness tool,choosed 0.025,choosed some blue-ish material

6:made few copies of the 2d star and tested to have them rotated at different angles,choosed zero,30,60,90,120,150degrees 6x2dstars

7:added a sphere in the middle,that is transparent,added some transparency,tried some smoothing

Mach

laststar.png
    743 x 556 - 63K
    beginstar.png
    743 x 556 - 114K
    shapeofstar2.png
    743 x 556 - 40K
    addedthickness.png
    743 x 556 - 57K
    smoothedstar.png
    753 x 567 - 114K

Beautiful stars mach25 - like Xmas decorations yes

Selina said:

Beautiful stars mach25 - like Xmas decorations yes

Thanks Selina, maybe need a different animation than a 24hours animation presented in seconds I made,too many colors to work in 256color gif

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 547

Thanks to 64-bit beta... Copy on Support can make some really cool things with millions of polys

copy on support.jpg
    1880 x 873 - 217K
  • That looks great Cdordoni - The 64 nit version great isn't it :)

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 547

That looks great Cdordoni - The 64 nit version great isn't it :)

It is great ... hopefully someday it will get retopology tools too.