Daz's campaign to promote mass transit (City Bus Stop freebie)

Ever since I started doing the Daz thing in January, I've noticed that the most commonly offered weekly freebie is probably the City Bus Stop.

I'm pretty sure that I see this thing pop up every 3 weeks or so in the weekly freebies!  Sure, it's a pretty low key product, but I think Daz keeps pushing it on us as a subliminal message to get more of us to use mass transit.

Maybe the Utah Transit Authority (Daz is based in Utah) has something to do with this, as they keep sending (sub)liminal messages via various forms of media, hence sucking the Daz team into their web of propaganda... Frontrunner service upgrades are expensive, you know, and somebody has to pay for them!

cheeky

When Daz starts pushing mass transit busses and commuter trains on us for free, we'll practically know for sure, or if we see a lot of 'art challenges' that include the City Bus Stop as one of the prerequeisite set pieces.  But in the meantime, I'm looking at you Daz team;!

cool

In the meantime, ride more busses!

Disclaimer: I support the use of mass transit where it is practical.  Just sharing my 'conspiracy theory' 'cuz I thought y'all could use a good chuckle... You are still loved, Daz team!

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

I think it's because there's not a lot of people interested in buying it since DAZ has never given us a decent modern city bus to stop at it.  The Double Decker bus, unfortunately, simply looks out of place in a lot of locations, so for the classic city bus (and school bus for that matter,) I'm still making do with items that were built as background props or for Poser 4/5.   And yet, DAZ has had a really nice bus for BRYCE for years...    

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited June 2017

...yeah disappointed in transit bus offerings for US that would work in Daz or Poser. Most freebie ones I have seen are either .3ds (requiring conversion and remapping in a modelling programme) or .obj format and primarily European designs.  True some transit systems have purchased German (Seattle WA & Milwaukee WI) or Hungarian (Portland OR) made buses but those were the long "bending" variety back in teh 80s which have since been retired from service.

If you have the money, Turbosquid does have a few US transit buses including the once ubiquitous GMC "Fishbowl" (made famous in the first Speed film).  Meanwhile, over on Rendo there is a lovely Greyhound Scenicrusier™  but those were never used for city transit. 

...a few examples below (old and new)

1819milwaukee_5300gm2.jpg
    700 x 496 - 58K
    mst0004.jpg
    700 x 500 - 30K
    14343488059_710d437705_b.jpg
    1024 x 455 - 180K
    21335124963_78dd9f49b9_b.jpg
    1024 x 681 - 290K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679

Nimos has a nice transit bus and Vanishingpoint also has a nice EMT Bus as well.

-MJ

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,892

... Someone needs to make a Catbus

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

... Someone needs to make a Catbus

what, one of these?

edited June 2017

Yes!

Envisioning a Catbus pulling up to the City Bus stop, with a frog, a mouse, and a clockwork man waiting to board. Maybe a small confused girl, too

Post edited by Oso3D on

Ah   OK,   sounds fun,   Think it might be a bit difficult to model though.

Where I live we don't tend to have many fancy bus stops.  The first time I went out to get on the bus I looked on the bus map, and it told me the bus stopped "On Jones Street, near Rees Street"  So I walked down the road, round the corner into Jones Street, walked up towards Rees Street, not seeing any sigh of a bus stop. There was a lad leaning against the wall on the corner of Rees Street, so I asked him where the bus stopped, and he said "about here normally".  Was about the same coming back,  the map said the bus stopped "On Victoria Street, near Mount Pleasant Street, near Bruce Hotel " so I asked in the shop and was told to wait on the corner outside the Green painted shop that was closed down.   Fun it is. Basically if you see a few people standing around at the side of the road, chances are they are waiting for the bus.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Wow Chohle.  LOL  Here we rarely have actual bus stop structures outside of downtown (high street) but we do have signs at least.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Honestly, the main problem I've had with mass transit in every city I've ever lived in is unless you want to go downtown or clear to the other side of town you're forced to go way out of the way.  I live in a suburb here, if I wanted to take a bus to the shopping center that is a 4 minute drive south of here I would have to take one bus all the way downtown, and another from downtown to the shopping center, it would take at least an hour each way.  I understand the need for a centralized hub but there really needs to be mini hubs at like NSEW as well for the system to be usefull for anyone other than people who work downtown.  San Jose was the only one that was approching semi useful, and that was only because the light rail line that runs the length of the city and suburbs sort of forced that mini-hub focus, but I had to walk a mile to get to the bus stop..  not a huge issue in CA but in an area with snow that would have been really sucky in winter.  That was also the biggest city I've ever lived in, the only one with a rail system, I guess that would make a big difference.  I've spent most of my life living in "second cities", big enough to be annoying to get around but not big enough to justify light rail.

edited June 2017
    Fisty said:

Wow Chohle.  LOL  Here we rarely have actual bus stop structures outside of downtown (high street) but we do have signs at least.

The other fun thing is that round this village and 2 others the bus only goes in one direcction.  So I get on the bus, it travels up, round a little more of our villagen, then toddles along, under the "Main" road and gets to the next village, it then goes all round the next village, then comes back under the Main Road on a different road and travels down to the 3rd village, which is where I go to any odd shopping I need between "big shops" (which I order on line), as the shop in our village is no longer a shop. just past the village shops and the bus stop I use to get back home, the buses actually go to being both ways.

It takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to the shops and about 4-5 minutes to get back.

BTW the main road is carried on a viaducted section across the top of the area, which is why we go under it and back under it.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,346

We don't have any bus stops here because, quite simply, there are no busses.

Fisty: I used to live in Pittsburgh without a car and omfg.

Going to visit friends half a mile a way, better to walk, because they were north of me. Which particularly stunk because between us was one of the steepest roads I've ever encountered (Negley Hill, for those in da burgh)

Because while it might take me 20-30 minutes to walk there, it might take me hours waiting for a bus, going downtown, getting another bus out... (plus I was poor and I don't think I had a bus pass)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

L. A. has a fairly enormous fleet (and needs one. It's 464 sq miles) but bus stops are a bit hit or miss. There's a sign on a post, or a street light, but whether there is a bench is something less than a 50/50 chance, and  shelter is even less likely.

Back in the 80s they deliberately removed the shelters and benches from about 90% of the stops downtown, to discourage the homeless population. The benches are reappearing, gradually, but are by no means typical.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

I'm just outside Chicago, and I live 2 blocks from one bus route, about 10 minutes walk from another.  In theory, the one two blocks from me actually does stop at my street, but since it's a T intersection, I've never wanted to test it, and I walk up to the "official" stop by the Metra tracks (yes, we have two different train systems too.  the "L", which has it's own tracks, and Metra, which uses commercial train routes.)  I can also change to a different bus simply by getting off at a cross street that has its own bus route, though usually I take the bus up to one of the L stops to go into the city.

I still have to allow plenty of time, since busses only run so often (how often depends on the route and whether it's rush hour or not)

Now, most of the bus stops here in the near suburbs are just benches, but a few are covered and look pretty similar to the City Bus Stop.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

I find The City Bus Stop really useful. I often get the logged in tick mark when I'm not logged in. The first thing I do in the store is look at the freestuff, it it's offering me the City Bus Stop I know I'm not really logged in.

I only remenber using the stop once in a work in progress that sort of stopped progressing. Now I've been reminded of it maybe I'll have another look at it. I think it's a good model, I just don't find many uses for it.

As far as real buses are concerned, I use them more than I used to. London buses now have displays that tell you the stop they are approaching, before that if I was on a route I didn't know I often missed the stop because I didn't know where we were.

Many years ago I worked for a while in central London and used the bus. On the way home if I went to the nearest stop there was always a long queue and you usually couldn't get on  the first few buses. But if I walked one stop in the opposite direction the buses hadn't filled up and I could get on and usually get a seat. I don't know why no-one else thought of it, but if they had it wouldn't have worked anymore.

• 3anson3anson Posts: 313

Down here in Cornwall, we only get buses that have been 'retired' from more lucrative routes up country.Plus the companies do NO preventative maintenance.

For instance on one of the rare occasions that i have had to use public transport, on the bus ride home to my village i could smell that the drive bands in the semi-automatic/pre-selector gearbox were slipping( this overheats/burns the transmission fluid) i advised the driver of this when we got to my stop. He told me that the issue had been reported several times by different drivers, but they were all told , by managers, that nothing would be done until the vehicle actually broke down on its route( which meant all the extra cost of sending out a replacement vehicle and driver, plus a recovery truck, also causing a lot of inconvenience for the passengers, ie, missed connections, missed appointments and very possibly ruined food(frozen stuff thawing out))

edited June 2017

We need quite sturdy buses here in Wales,  lots of downhills, but obviously just as many up hills.  It's down to the shops, and down to the town, but up coming back home, and the so called footpath which should be a shortcut has a handrail to help people pull themselves up it.

It's a pretty journey though.     This is coming from further down and coming up to town  We are evne further up.  As you can see we have little buses.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

I think it's because there's not a lot of people interested in buying it since DAZ has never given us a decent modern city bus to stop at it.  The Double Decker bus, unfortunately, simply looks out of place in a lot of locations, so for the classic city bus (and school bus for that matter,) I'm still making do with items that were built as background props or for Poser 4/5.   And yet, DAZ has had a really nice bus for BRYCE for years...    

The Bryce .OBP vehicles by Nimos also come with an OBJ version, including textures. These should import straight into DAZ Studio - but likely not easily posable.

https://www.daz3d.com/nimos-transit-bus

https://www.daz3d.com/nimos-coach

If you have Bryce (and, of course, <Preacher genesis voice> you should </Preacher genesis voice>) then you can pose the OBP models in there and then export to OBJ.

Not that I should encourage any of this. Buses are a known danger and can almost come between a man and his pint.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4646734/Police-didn-t-believe-father-knocked-bus.html

...where is that? I could not live in an area without transit as I cannot afford to drive or be owned by a car.
    kyoto kid said:

...where is that? I could not live in an area without transit as I cannot afford to drive or be owned by a car.

The Outer Banks of North Carolina (Dare County). A few years ago somebody tried a bus company but it quickly failed because there was not enough useage to support it. However, all is not lost. The county operates door to door transportation service (van) with a 2 day reservation. Also there are taxicabs available.

• ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 641

Since we're on the subject of buses, anyone know where I can find the city bus interior used in the G3M Hip Hop Outfit promo pic?

https://www.daz3d.com/hip-hop-outfit-for-genesis-3-male-s

No mention of it in the product's Notes, and my brief searches here and over on Rendo didn't turn up anything.

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
    edited June 2017

Since we're on the subject of buses, anyone know where I can find the city bus interior used in the G3M Hip Hop Outfit promo pic?

https://www.daz3d.com/hip-hop-outfit-for-genesis-3-male-s

No mention of it in the product's Notes, and my brief searches here and over on Rendo didn't turn up anything.

im pretty sure thats the interior for a train... give me a sec.

*** EDIT ***
    Here you go:  https://www.daz3d.com/subway-train

-MJ

Post edited by MJ007 on
  • ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 641

Excellent, thanks for the help MJ! yes  And it's on sale.

I seem to recall previous discussion in this forum about some of Polish's products taking a long-ish time to render. I think it was something about large textures on small objects, ensuring they would look detailed even if you happened to put the camera close to them. Or maybe it was some other issues. Anyway, has anyone had any experience with that subway car? Did it slow down your renders more than expected?

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited June 2017

Here's a post on using the Nimos transit bus in Daz Studio. Door rigging instructions are here.

Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited June 2017
    kyoto kid said:

The Outer Banks of North Carolina (Dare County). A few years ago somebody tried a bus company but it quickly failed because there was not enough useage to support it. However, all is not lost. The county operates door to door transportation service (van) with a 2 day reservation. Also there are taxicabs available.

...people have been telling me to move there. Well no bus service means a no go.  Can't afford taxiis on an SS income, and door to door service even sponsored by a county or city still isn't as cheap as bus fare (especially if you qualify for senior fares like I do). 

Where I am now I can get a monthly unlimited pass for 28$ (the regular price is 100$), a single 2.5 hour ticket for 1,25$, or a single day pass for 2.50$ and pretty much go when I want to as I live in an area with good frequent service.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

LOL Same here. No buses in my town. No taxis either. Nor do we have traffic lights. There are two pedestrian crossings...but that's it. 

RGcincy said:

Here's a post on using the Nimos transit bus in Daz Studio. Door rigging instructions are here.

...very nice tutorial,

Have to wait until payday (Mon.) to get it. The highway bus is pretty nice as well.

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186

I got that a long time ago. Wished I had a nice bus for it. LOL

kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

...people have been telling me to move there. Well no bus service means a no go.  Can't afford taxiis on an SS income, and door to door service even sponsored by a county or city still isn't as cheap as bus fare (especially if you qualify for senior fares like I do). 

Where I am now I can get a monthly unlimited pass for 28$ (the regular price is 100$), a single 2.5 hour ticket for 1,25$, or a single day pass for 2.50$ and pretty much go when I want to as I live in an area with good frequent service.

Well, the county service is not very expensive $3.00 one way or $6.00 round trip within Dare County. Reduced rates are available for those who are over 60 or disabled. It does, however, require a 2 day advanced reservation.

http://www.darenc.org/transportation/fares.asp

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

There is a bus at the other major store. Search for E.M.T. Bus. One thing I noticed on the Nimos transit bus is that there is no wheelchair access. A good DAZ Studio bus with a wheelchair lift and perhaps a bike rack would be very nice. If it included morphs/versions for right and left driving and both American and European license plates, it would be even better.

I am in a similar situation to Kyoto Kid, I need access to a good bus route, otherwise I would rather live in a small town or the country rather than a large city. Alright, Eugene isn't that large a city, but it's large enough considering I grew up in a town of 301.