RULES FOR FREEBIE CONTEST AS OF JAN 1ST 2017 Change in Rules Plz Read!

SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
edited October 2018 in Freebies

Rules for Daz Freebie Contest and are subject to change as the months go along.

*These Rules are in effect as of Jan 1st 2017.

The Rules:

1. A minimum of  (5) Freebies must be included in your image along with Links to the freebies you have used. For an item to be considered free it must be offered as a freebie for the whole month. The exception to this rule is all Daz Bi-Weekly Freebies will be allowed throughout the entire month in which they are free as well as the month following their release as a freebie (For a total of 2 months). Also, if a freebie is broken down into multiple downloads/links/parts (IE like if the freebie is broken down into 3 zips etc...)it only counts as 1 freebie, not 3.
2. There will be a Maximum of 5 purchased items.
3. Base figures (All Gen 2,3,4, and Genesis 1,2,3) as well as their general morphs packs (Morphs++ and similar) do not count as a purchased item or a freebie and may be used as needed
4.Your Rendered Picture must be a new render and postwork is allowed but you MUST include a before and after Postwork versions of your entry in the Entry Thread.
5. All DAZ 3D Programs are allowed (IE Bryce, Carrara, Daz Studio and Hexagon) plus Poser for the contest.
6. All entries are subject to the Daz3D TOS Found Here: http://www.daz3d.com/terms-of-service ;
7. You may enter a Maximum of 4 Entries per month.
8. You may edit your entry as much as you like in the main thread but once it is posted to the "Entries" thread it may not be further modified. Also, if you edit or add things, be sure you update any links or freebie changes you make.
9. There will be spotlight on freebie vendors every 2 to 4 months to thank them for sharing with the 3D community.

"Spotlight Freebie Vendor Month" requirements are going to be you have to use at least 2 items from that vendor of the month and it is in addition to the 5 Freebies for regular months.

The Freebie Contest will end the last day of each month- 23:59 Daz Time.

*Please Note: Please allow 7 days from the Announcement of the Winners to recive your prize*
If you have not recived your prize, or have any questions, plz contact (ME) Saphirewild in a PM here on the forums or e-mail me at [email protected]

Post edited by Saphirewild on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

Do I read this right - each person must submit at least TWO entries (rule 7)?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I think saying 2 entries minimum is going to kill it for you.   many will only do one

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,949

I think so too, it will be harder :)

• I agree, one entry would be better. I am usually pressed for time with being my hubby's caretaker, freelancing, creating vendor items and moderator duties at Rendo.

That and I am very picky generally any render I am actually please with enough to post takes a minimum of 3 days fussing a max of a week. (I always look back at my quickie slapped together images and am very unhappy I settled)

edited December 2016

I have been involved with the freebie challenge for most of it's long life, and also involved with other contests and challenges, both here and on other sites, and I have never yet seen any contest that demands more than one entry.  Many have the option of more than one, but none demand it as a neccessity

Post edited by Chohole on
    Maybe it was just a typo.
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,091
    Chohole said:

I think saying 2 entries minimum is going to kill it for you.   many will only do one

Yep.

• Are we still going to have a monthly host to set the theme and keep the tread(s?) going?

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited December 2016

Are we still going to have a monthly host to set the theme and keep the tread(s?) going?

I am going to be the one for a while to host the contests untill I can gather some peeps to help out more.

As for rule #7 I have crossed out the 2 entries required!!

I did not realize it would cause such a stir but glad it did so I know what things will work!!!

This is why I posted the rules early so we could ponder them and go over them and tweak them.

Edited to ADD: The rules are subject to change as we progress!!

Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • Glad to see the change to #7, would never have time to enter otherwise. Sometimes it takes me most the month to get a render to look how I'd like to enter (and sometimes I never manage to get one to where I'd like it).

How will the spotlight on freebie vendors work?

Glad to see the change to #7, would never have time to enter otherwise. Sometimes it takes me most the month to get a render to look how I'd like to enter (and sometimes I never manage to get one to where I'd like it).

Well I am going to choose a freebie vender like say Wilmap or Divamakeup (Using them as an example) and the freebies you use that month will have to include their Freebies as well as the rest you use. I will post a link to their sites of course in the begining thread posting so all can get the freebies from the vendor.

I hope that answers your question Chelle?

Glad to see the change to #7, would never have time to enter otherwise. Sometimes it takes me most the month to get a render to look how I'd like to enter (and sometimes I never manage to get one to where I'd like it).

Well I am going to choose a freebie vender like say Wilmap or Divamakeup (Using them as an example) and the freebies you use that month will have to include their Freebies as well as the rest you use. I will post a link to their sites of course in the begining thread posting so all can get the freebies from the vendor.

Remember that some freebie vendors, like Wilmap, require a registration at their site. Some people who want to participate in the contest may not want to register at yet another website. They will be excluded by this rule.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    barbult said:

Remember that some freebie vendors, like Wilmap, require a registration at their site. Some people who want to participate in the contest may not want to register at yet another website. They will be excluded by this rule.

As far as I know the things from wilmap are available again on share cg again since that needs a registration by now as well. Freebies without any kind of registration will be hard to come by as it seems to be a necessary measure for the providers to keep their sites clean

Linwelly said:
    barbult said:

As far as I know the things from wilmap are available again on share cg again since that needs a registration by now as well. Freebies without any kind of registration will be hard to come by as it seems to be a necessary measure for the providers to keep their sites clean

I thought only her older things were on ShareCG. I see nothing newer than 2 years old there. You are right about the registration at most places. That is why I said "yet another". I guess it will be up to people to decide whether they want to sign up for an account someplace to participate in the contest. Maybe by signing up they will find some gems. Or maybe they will see what other people find there and sign up later. I suppose that is the point of featuring a particular freebie artist in the first place.

More freebie site require registration than don't, and it has been like that for a few years now. And sites like ShareCG have limiters on downloads as well as the registration, but it has not stopped it being one of the most popular places to upload and download freebies when the freebie provider doesn't have their own site. 

• Chelle the CatChelle the Cat Posts: 239
    edited December 2016

Yep, that answers it perfectly!

Post edited by Chelle the Cat on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783

Thanks to everyone offering Saphirewild thoughts and ideas. We are very excited to see what she comes up with. As with anything, getting started is always tough and there will be some trial and error to find what works best for her as someone running it and for everyone participating. Please be patient and try to keep in mind she is giving her time etc to try to do this for the Community. We appreciate greatly that she stepped in so this contest could keep going and so we could explore other contest ideas. smiley

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited January 2017

May want to take a look at this-

8. You may edit your entry as much as you like in the main thread but once it is posted to the "Entries" thread it may not be further modified. 

Why not?  What was the purpose of that?

Plus, that's really not enforceable. They may be changing the title or print, not the image, and it will still say Edited...  You won't know what was changed.

What #8 effectively does, as it stands now, is keep people from posting. Then it looks like there's no entries. Then people lose interest. Just a thought. The images are not being judged during that time, so what's the harm in changing them? If someone tries to copy someone else's ideas, believe me, folks would know it. If that (and I'm guessing) was the reasoning behind it, you could change that to say "Any revisions which appear to duplicate another participant's submission(s) shall be subject to removal or the original must be reinstated upon request of the contest administrator."  

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2017

The reason there is 2 threads.   The other thread is a WIP thread.    WIP means Work In Progress.   Once the image is finalised and all links, relevant content etc has been checked out and approved then it is moved to the Entry thread,  ready for judging.   If the image in the Entry thread is not the same as the one in the main WIP thread, then it has not been approved for entry,

• Why was the number of required free items reduced to 5?
    If I remember correctly, the idea was to make the entrants be creative in their use of freebies.
    Now it is true that Music made that rule 10(?) years ago, and he has stepped down.

We even had mini contests over the most freebies in a render. (I forget who had the most, not me of course.)cheeky
    As for increasing the paid items to 5, well, this is a freebie contest.

Just a few thoughts.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645

Why was the number of required free items reduced to 5?
    If I remember correctly, the idea was to make the entrants be creative in their use of freebies.
    Now it is true that Music made that rule 10(?) years ago, and he has stepped down.

We even had mini contests over the most freebies in a render. (I forget who had the most, not me of course.)cheeky
    As for increasing the paid items to 5, well, this is a freebie contest.

Just a few thoughts.

I believe the changes were to encourage more people to participate in the contest. For you and me it is not difficult to come up with 10 items with associated links that work within the confines of the image or theme. Not all people are as vested in the freebie world as we are. Music changed the rules when he took over as well. When the contest went under his wing he allowed the morph packages to be no count. Before that it had to be all freebies no pay fors. I can't imagine how people could do that. The number of rigged free characters were pretty sparse.

That said, it can be interesting to try new things, we have a new coordinator and her wish is to make the freebie contest work again. I look at the rules as just a framework for me to build upon. Oh and I believe it was Assassin who is the current record holder. I think I remember something like 100 items in one of the images.

We changed rules quite regularly in the old freebie challenge.   The only rule Music changed right at the beginning was to allow Poser users and Bryce users to take part.    The very first Challenge was that nothing but free stuff was used.   even the program used was free, so it was DS only.  Daz relelasing Bryce 5 as a free program and Poser (owner number whoever it was at the time) also relelased some form of free version whci gave him the chance to spread the fun.   

It was only when Daz put the price back on to the base figures that rules about those had to change.  Morph packages were always a paid item,  that was changed to No Count when the CVs took over.

I do have a link to the old rules, posted May 2012.    obviously no link to the older challenges or the older rules works, as they are on the old Archived site which has gone MIA

BTW   as for who won the challenge for the most freebies,  I think you will find that was Assassin_21    and it was either just under or just over 100 freebies in one image.

Thank you both Dollygirl and Chohole for answering Nitehawks question.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027

What is a freebie vendor?  as per

9. There will be spotlight on freebie vendors every 2 to 4 months to thank them for sharing with the 3D community.

"Spotlight Freebie Vendor Month" requirements are going to be you have to use at least 2 items from that vendor of the month and it is in addition to the 5 Freebies for regular months.

A freebie vendor is a person that shares free items or clothing to the 3D community, example of that is Wilmap A.K.A Wendy who shares clothing with us all and there is a ton of freebie vendors out there like people share things on shareCG etc........

edited August 2017

If you change the nomenclature to that which has always been the prefered one,  which is to refer to a freebie provider, it would save some confusion.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027

It was me.  I was thrown off by the term vendor.  Makes perfect sense now that I know.  Is there a requirement to use a minimum number of items from a freebie provider during the current challenge?

A freebie vendor is a person that shares free items or clothing to the 3D community, example of that is Wilmap A.K.A Wendy who shares clothing with us all and there is a ton of freebie vendors out there like people share things on shareCG etc........

Yes there is a minimum of 2 items from that freebie provider