No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Here is an interesting tip.  The eyes are rigged to bones.  However, being flat, I don't want to rotate the eyes. Instead, I just want to slide the Iris/Pupil over the white area.  If rigged in Studio and loaded in Carrara, you can unlock/unconstrain the polygons from the bone so they can be translated.  Uncheck the box for protected/constraint.

Oooh, this might work great for creepy painting with moving eyes!  

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,750

love your ideas diomede... one day I will try this boning in DS cool yes

do you also do the weight painting in DS?
    if so is it easier than Carrara's weight painting?

• love your ideas diomede... one day I will try this boning in DS cool yes

well not in my opinion 

the boning is harder too

but it does work in both DS and Carrara so there is that so I too do it now and then too

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited December 2018

love your ideas diomede... one day I will try this boning in DS cool yes

well not in my opinion 

the boning is harder too

but it does work in both DS and Carrara so there is that so I too do it now and then too

Usually, Carrara's skeleton and weightpainting is easier, which is why I do it.  For Carrara, you do not have to create named polygon groups for each body part.  Carrara automatically assigns the polygons to nearby bones.  That is usually good. 

Unfortunately, with this toon man, the head overlaps the chest. So, polygons in the head are influenced by the chest and collar bones.  I've not only had to remove the influence of the chest, but I've had to add the head as an eligible bone.  The weight brushes were acting funny, and at one pont deleted vertexes in the shoulder.  In this case, it was easier to assign the head polygons to a named group and create the skeleton in Studio.

Default shape.

Distortion if bend neck parts of head influenced by chest

weights of head from automatic bone influence

Shoulder disappear when try to remove influence of the head on the shoulder by uing the brush.

Get an unexplained "error has occurred" message sometimes if try to use menu for individual vertex, line, polygon

But, if patient, can get decent results in Carrara (see cleaned side of head).

rr01 flat man.JPG
    1672 x 910 - 151K
    rr02 flat man prob head.JPG
    1253 x 872 - 105K
    rr03 head weight.JPG
    1503 x 760 - 134K
    rr04 shoulder disappear when brush subtract.JPG
    1341 x 730 - 138K
    rr08 an error has occurred.JPG
    1497 x 838 - 142K
    rr10 right side head fixed.JPG
    1612 x 984 - 178K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 2018

In order to prepare for rigging in Studio, the tedious part is assigning all the polygons to a named group.  Don't have to do this if remaining in Carrara.

rr11 named polygon group head.JPG
    1528 x 1145 - 161K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663
    edited December 2018

you don't have to in DAZ studio either 

with a bone you created selected, you just use the geometry editor to select faces and fill them by weight, you can set the value, or use the weight brush

one advantage is you need not detach or reattach rigging to add or remove bones

the bit I find hardest in studio is actually creating and positioning the bones and orientation, limits etc, IK cannot be done for the lot at once, only one at a time

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 2018

you don't have to in DAZ studio either 

with a bone you created selected, you just use the geometry editor to select faces and fill them by weight, you can set the value, or use the weight brush

one advantage is you need not detach or reattach rigging to add or remove bones

the bit I find hardest in studio is actually creating and positioning the bones and orientation, limits etc, IK cannot be done for the lot at once, only one at a time

Interesting. I learned the named group method (similar to Poser).  Didn't realize it wasn't necessary.  yes

EDIT: One thing in Studio, if you have named groups, the "align" menu within the setup and joint editor process helps a lot wih the orientation.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

When it comes to hard surfaces (buildings, machines etc), I find it much easier to rig in DS: weight painting is just one click (Fill by bone selection groups), whereas the weight painting in Carrara becomes frustratingly fiddly. Also, if you have your doors, levers etc as separate vertex objects (which you'd do anyway if you wanted to set up simple rotations insead of rigging), they'll automatically get assigned names as part of the export, so you don't have to set up name groups.

The downside is that reimporting the .duf generally leaves you with a single mesh, and that might take some effort to split up should you need to (I normally don't at that point).

Having a dry spell.  Need inspiration.

lots of unfinished projects that I’m bored with.

upset that substance painter acquired by adobe.  Just bought it last summer.  Wouldn’t have done it had I known.  

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Ouch, that must feel like a betrayal. I still use my CS5 software, but once they went all rental I knew I would never be doing business with them ever again.

I understand about dry spells, but don't have much advice other than you never know when an idea will jump in your head.  You already do an impressive amount of creative works and generously share your related R&D. I'm sure something will emerge soon. :)

the christmas, new year period gets me away from creating stuff and helps recharge... maybe time for a break. smiley

I bought FlowScape yesterday $15AU .. it's categorised as a game but does 3d landscapes with props... I have found it good place to go and tinker and to get away from it all yes

Flowscape looks pretty cool.  I should check it out.

the christmas, new year period gets me away from creating stuff and helps recharge... maybe time for a break. smiley

I bought FlowScape yesterday $15AU .. it's categorised as a game but does 3d landscapes with props... I have found it good place to go and tinker and to get away from it all yes

wow that does look cool, I see it does not export mesh but assume does renders I hope maybe 360 renders?

edited January 2019

https://bananaft.itch.io/yedomaglobula

wow a coool GPU fractal game and free

I bought Flowscape now too devil

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Having a dry spell.  Need inspiration.

lots of unfinished projects that I’m bored with.

upset that substance painter acquired by adobe.  Just bought it last summer.  Wouldn’t have done it had I known.  

Think I need to do some personal RRRR to break out of my rut.

RRRR is the random runtime render challenge.  Use a randowm number generator to pick some stuff and render it.

What about a CRRRR

C = CARRARA of course wink

CRRRC

Carrrara random runtime render challenge wink

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919

RRRRC

random runtime rut render challenge ;)

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

What about RRCC

random runtime Carrara challenge cheeky?

edited March 2019

Using DIM for general content related help.

The Daz Install Manager (DIM) has quite a few functions that can help with everyday organization.  For products that are installed, you ca use it to find the stuff.  This is very useful for tracking down texture fles that don't load and similar.  In addition, it can be used to sort and identify content associated with speciifc programs.  In the installed tab, right click on the top "product" line and a menu appears.  You can seelct by tagged program, which means you can select by products tagged for Carrara.  So, select by tagged carrara, then you can export tht list as a csv / txt file. 

EDIT: had to correct a totally wrong staement about hiding suff.

dim example b.jpg
    1101 x 388 - 154K
    edited March 2019

Here is an example.  I selected all installed items that are tagged for a version of carrara (there are several).  I exported those selections as a csv file.  I opened the file in a spreadsheet.  Here are the first 50 or so products.

zzzzzzzzzz open carrra tagged items file.JPG
    1115 x 1015 - 329K
    edited April 2019

UVMapping a Figure 8 Race Track

I used the vertex modeler's polyline tools and the sweep function to create a figure 8.

- in vertex modeler, change camera to a direction camera and used polyline tool to draw points for a squared U.  Used snap-to-grid to keep sections even.  Lots of points so can make lanes later.

- changed camera to top and chose a curve tool to draw a figure 8.

-  changed camera to directors camera, selected a line where the 8 crosses and moved in Y-axis direction slightly.

- selected the original U shape.  Went to model menu and found the SWEEP function under the CONSTRUCT tab.

- with the original U still selected, choose SWEEP, then in the right hand properties tray choose the type of sweep you want (irregular, regular, etc), and click on curved 8 polyline path.

- note, may get a funky result where the original U is.  If so, select those edges and use the rotate tool to fix.

- note, remember to delete the figure 8 polyline sweep path.

- number of options to create sense of depth for the track model.  Could select the whole track, duplicate, then select the edges and use the bridge tool to connect.

- I chose to select the track and used "add thickness" under the MODEL tab.  I chose a very small distance for the add thickness.

- checking the box for smoothing and I have my basic figure 8 track.

aa01 polyline tool to make crossview of track left camera.JPG
    971 x 543 - 28K
    aa02 interpolated line figure 8 top view.JPG
    1202 x 888 - 70K
    aa03 directors view raise one side where 8 crosses.JPG
    1743 x 941 - 127K
    aa05 click curve note original cros looks wierd.JPG
    1907 x 914 - 146K
    aa06 correct original crosshatch.JPG
    1237 x 896 - 95K
    aa08 added thickness minimum 01 and then lowered the result.JPG
    1793 x 841 - 127K
    edited April 2019

UVMapping - first create shading domains.

- first I assigned shading domains because they can help with uvmapping.

- The add thickness step results in a selection of the added polygons.  I used the minus (-) key in the modeler to deselect one row and then created a shading domain for the bottom of the track.

- I then used the plus (+) key in the model select menu and "deselect by shading domain" to isolate the polygons I wanted for the outside sides of the track, and the inside sides of the track.  I created shading domains for each.

- The flat track surface should be the unassigned polygons (texture 0).  I selected two adjacent polygons and loop to get the lane separators in that top track surface.

- The texture 0 unasigned polygons are now the track surface (not the lane marker polygons).

- And here is a test render applying some simple shaders without trying to improve uvmapping.

aa12 deselect shading domain bottom.JPG
    1902 x 898 - 158K
    aa19 if desired select two adjacent polygons on track.JPG
    1909 x 887 - 164K
    aa20 hit loop to extend selection around the 8.JPG
    1909 x 982 - 174K
    aa25 test render.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 384K
    edited April 2019

UVMapping the Figure 8 - I tried Two Ways, but each started from the same seams.

Way #1 - focus on top view of the "8" but don't care that they cross, probably fine for many procedural shaders

Way #2 - want to make sure that uvmap does not have any overlaps.  Especially important if painting the model or if the regions where the tracks cross need to be different.

To prepare for both, I used the seams function under the uvmapping "unfold" tab to separate the shading domains.

- I selected an edge of the side of the figure 8 at the top of the outside and hit loop.  Can use the selection tool to confirm you have the edge of the shading domain.

- Click the plus (+) under the unfold tab and the selected loop turns blue.  It is very easy to confuse the plus (+) under the unfold tab with the plus (+) under the selection tab so watch for that.

- Repeat for other edges that want to separate.  I made it so could separate bottom, outsides, insides, and top track surface.  The top track surface has two shading domains because of the lane markers.

- I selected and created perpendicular seams looping to cut the shading domains at the corners of the 8.  You could do more or fewer cuts, depending on whether you plan to spend the time to straighten all of the loops.  I won't be straightening all of the loops, but the for corner cuts allow me to very roughly rotate the strips so they generally are vertical.

- I then hit "unfold" and the uvmap strips or "islands" are spread across the bottom of the uvmap square and look very tiny.

aa28 select edge and hit loop to get top edge of one side of outside shading domain.JPG
    1914 x 932 - 169K
    aa29 hit plus on seams unfld not plus on selection easy to confuse.JPG
    1905 x 958 - 166K
    aa31 repeat for the other side of the outside.JPG
    1903 x 871 - 128K
    aa37 initial result of unfold see really small strips at bottom.JPG
    1914 x 968 - 160K
    edited April 2019

Adjust UVMap Way #1 - Dont care about the 8 Cross

- If you double click on a point on any island at bottom of uvmap square it will select just that island.  Very Handy!!!!

- Also you can still select by shading domains. Also very handy.

-  I selected by the Outside shading domain to get all of those islands. I used the translate tool to move them all up and then scaled and moved them out of the way.

- I repeated for the inside edge islands.

- I selected the Bottom shading domain.  Because I matched the seam edges to the shading domain edges, all is well.

- I left the "unfold" tab and went to the OPERATIONS tab of the uvmapping area.  Under operations, I detached polygons (not sure that is necessary).  

- With bottom still selected, I then applied a planar preset with the Y axis and "no split".

- The result looks like an "8" and then I scaled and moved the 8.

- Repeat for the top surface of the track, which contains two shading domains (in my case, the track surface texture 0 and lane markers).  Applying planar preset yields another 8.

- These two 8s have uvs that cross.  If that doesnt matter, then just scale and fit your UVs to the UVMap.

aa38 can double click to select any one of the isands at bottom.JPG
    1918 x 990 - 162K
    aa39can also select by shading domain see bottom.JPG
    1729 x 978 - 150K
    aa40 with bottom selected i can go to operations tab and detach and set up for planar preset.JPG
    1912 x 991 - 168K
    aa41 see apply planar preset to botom get the 8.JPG
    1908 x 968 - 178K
    aa43 select by outsides see get several islads I plan to leave these as unfolded.JPG
    1812 x 980 - 163K
    aa49 uvmap if i dont care about them crossing.JPG
    1916 x 942 - 195K
    edited April 2019

Adjust UVMap Way #2, fix so UVs for the 8 don't cross.

- This starts from the same seams and the same unfold.

- The UV islands are at the bottom of the square just like above.

- Here, I double click on each island and scale it individually.

- There are essentially two kinds of strips.  Longer strips run the length of the 8 and contain the crosses.

- Shorter strips run at the top and the bottom.

- I selected each strip individually and rotated / scaled it roughly vertical on the map.

- The longer strips are roughly the same length.

- The shorter end strips are roughly the same length.

aa50 uvmap of track if care about crossing of figue 8.JPG
    1907 x 947 - 226K

Suggestions to improve this model and improve this uvmap welcome.

I plan to use the track as part of this month's Retro challenge.  Try to picture some "matchbox" or similar retro toy cars (the ones that had the needles that fit in the groove of the track) racing along the track.

edited April 2019

And here is a simple toy car model and uvmap with enough (hopefully) mesh density for morphs to create the other cars.

bb01 car model and uvmap.JPG
    1728 x 895 - 168K
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

great ideas and workflows @diomede_Carrara and @Selinita

I must have a try myself at one yes