My Project: Brash Lonergan adventures - Warning AI Discussion Possible

18910111214»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 2022

Yeah... Diomede. Always travelling.

I used to travel all the time as a young adult. Been to 36 states. One day I should put my Rosie and little dog Chicha in the car and find out where Diomede is travelling to and meet up!

Chicha is our new Podenko (look that one up) - she's the shorter, Dacshund version of Podenko.

She likes to travel by foot... Everywhere! We just recently moved not too far from where we were. Chicha and I have a really nice two block walk to The Lake (Michigan) where there are picnic tables and benches, rabbits, trees and all kinds of things (like rabbits) for her to smell! She'd Love to show you some wonderful sites! You know where Algoma is, right? ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Bring Brash and Moxie! We'll have an adventure!

IMG_20220916_101252_4.jpg
    395 x 466 - 76K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 2022

I would love to travel even more.  I have a lot of Amtrak frequent user points from before Covid but have been afraid to use them.  Next big travel event for me will be to family for Christmas, but intend to stay long enough and have enough room that it will be worth bringing my main computer, and not just my laptop.

- Last year, I made some headway devoting more time to storytelling rather than content production, but then (a) Genesis 9 release has me thinking about content creation again, and (b) a couple of non-Brash, non-Moxie story ideas popped in my head.  One story idea is even an animation, not a comic or illustrated book.

(Lowered voices.  If inflation keeps up and gets worse, I may have to take the Arkansas bar exam and un-retire.  Sue somebody!  Ugh.  I planned pretty well in ways I could, but 2/3s of my retirement is not indexed.  Keep that between us.  I have made significant improvement in all aspects of 3D since I left Washington, DC, at least I think so.  It would suck to not be able to spend as much time on 3D now that I am actually learning)

Post edited by Diomede on

If it comes to that, do you think you could sue a few for me too? LOL

I don't know why, but I always thought that The Adventures of Brash and Moxie was going to eventually be animated.

Dartanbeck said:

I don't know why, but I always thought that The Adventures of Brash and Moxie was going to eventually be animated.

I do think I will animate Brash and Moxie for one of my entries for Carrara Challenge 65: Turning Point.  If I do, which is still an 'if,' I think I will use some GMIC filters.  I genuinely dislike the idea of using a photo-real look for Brash and Moxie.  Probably some deep psychological explanation.

Dartanbeck said:

I do think I will animate Brash and Moxie for one of my entries for Carrara Challenge 65: Turning Point.  If I do, which is still an 'if,' I think I will use some GMIC filters.  I genuinely dislike the idea of using a photo-real look for Brash and Moxie.  Probably some deep psychological explanation.

edited November 2023

Brash Lonergan in...

Brash Lonergan #32 - Attack of the AI 'Bots

I created the following image using my Brash Lonergan model in Carrara, generating a render, and then processing in Stable Diffusion.  I will post the workflow in subsequent posts.

bb08 brash in scifi.png
    512 x 768 - 446K
    edited November 2023

Workflow for above image

(1) I had modeled my Brash mesh

(2) I attached some clothes and hair I created for him in Carrara.  

(3) I rendered out the full pose and loaded it in the controlnet (openpose) channel to detect the stick figure pose

(4) In a second Controlnet tab, I loaded the Carrara again and chose the 'canny' function to detect the outlines

(5)  Here are the prompts.

Positive

high quality photo of man running, (1boy) 35 years old, excited, blonde hair, wearing ornate militaristic science fiction ((uniform)), long blue pants, long sleeve red jacket, leather boots, in front of spaceship in landing bay, depth of field, in photorealistic style

Negative

low quality, bad hands, mangled fingers, nsfw, nudity

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,671

Diomede said:

Brash Lonergan in...

Brash Lonergan #32 - Attack of the AI 'Bots

I created the following image using my Brash Lonergan model in Carrara, generating a render, and then processing in Stable Diffusion.  I will post the workflow in subsequent posts.

Go Brash !!!

edited November 2023

Thanks, @Bunyip.

But we all know that I prefer non-photo for Brash.  So I changed the Positive prompt to

comic panel of man running, (1boy) 35 years old, excited, blonde hair, wearing ornate militaristic science fiction ((uniform)), long blue pants, long sleeve red jacket, leather boots, in front of spaceship in landing bay, in 1960s comic style of Dan DeCarlo 

bb10 comic style.png
    512 x 768 - 567K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

wow! yes

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Diomede said:

Thanks, @Bunyip.

But we all know that I prefer non-photo for Brash.  So I changed the Positive prompt to

comic panel of man running, (1boy) 35 years old, excited, blonde hair, wearing ornate militaristic science fiction ((uniform)), long blue pants, long sleeve red jacket, leather boots, in front of spaceship in landing bay, in 1960s comic style of Dan DeCarlo 

Sweet! *This* is the kind of stuff I love to see. 

edited November 2023

Thanks, Walt. 

Warning - Rant. 

Thinking about the Dan Decarlo style has triggered the following musings about the pros and cons of mixing the current versions of AI in my workflow.

Pro.  Supposedly, there is a way to create a 'style' for Stable Diffusion. The ideal would be for me to create character presets from my custom Brash and Moxie models so that I have consistent characters.  Some solutions include embeddings, face swaps, and LORAs.  And then be able to generate new images of my hero and heroine in settings and using various props consistent with the look of my cast.  One solution includes the ability to train and save a 'style' from a set of images.  For personal fulfillment, I'd like the characters and the style to be things I had a hand in.  A week in, and I already see the potential to combine 3D programs with Stable Diffusion in the way I am thinking of.  Carrara in particular is amazing because of its Swiss army knife set of modeling, terrain, plant, sky, hair, rigging, rendering, and multipass tools.  Blender is in the same category.  One could combine Daz Studio canvases, Hexagon, and Bryce in the same way.

Yay!!!  - I think I see a great tool in AI to enhance my creativity, not a substitute for my creativity.

Con.  Ethics, rights, and law.  I am concerned that when my prompt included 'in the 1960s comic style of Dan Decarlo' that the database included Dan Decarlo images obtained under the premise that usage would be limited to research and education.  While my current use is consistent with that premise (I am using it to educate myself - truly), I am concerned that much of the use of stable diffusion violates the premise.  

Anyway, that was just a rant.  There is a whole thread on similar issues in the Commons.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/650861/is-ai-killing-the-3d-star/p1

• OK pure facts and logic

• a checkpoint or safe tensors file averages less than 10GB
    • it was trained on the LAION5 database which used 512x512 thumbnails scraped from the web
    • exactly how much actual data from any one artist do you think that file holds?
    • a file with all the wikipedia text information on every artist scraped would be bigger I hazard to guess

is this fair use?

so far at least a court of law has not ruled against it but given the artists mounting a class action an opportunity to reword their claim

we wait and learn

My remarks are based upon articles like the following.

https://apnews.com/article/getty-images-artificial-intelligence-ai-image-generator-stable-diffusion-a98eeaaeb2bf13c5e8874ceb6a8ce196

I have not done enough research to be confident in my grasp of the facts.  Am always willing to listen.  Happy to be directed to additional sources of information.  yes

• we will have to wait and see what judges decide

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 2023

Deleted since my comments weren't really related to Carrara, I was using DAZ Studio to try some of these ideas.  Long story short: really interesting, probably give me some reasons to start looking at buying more content here. 

Post edited by grinch2901 on

grinch2901 said:

Deleted since my comments weren't really related to Carrara, I was using DAZ Studio to try some of these ideas.  Long story short: really interesting, probably give me some reasons to start looking at buying more content here. 

I'd be interested in how you are applying similar ideas in Daz Studio.  Here is a thread in which I used very old Poser figures along with simple objects modeled in Carrara.  If this is smilar to what you are doing with Studio, I would love to see it.  

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/659331/p4-dork-is-out-of-the-graveyard-carrara-to-sd-workflow-warning-ai-discussion/p1

There is a more general thread in the Art Studio Forum.