NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited October 2015

Okay, I have a question. The default hdr map that loads when you've chosen the Nvidia Iray renderer-  how does yours look? (In Environment, the Environment Map.) Hover your mouse over it. Is it horribly (HORRIBLY) blurry?  I don't know much about High Dynamic Range images so far as being crisp, I know how they differ from typical images (meaning, layering images to create them, etc) (Good thread start here- brief and to the point)  but it seems to me, you want a high quality image shedding the light on your scene so to speak. 

Here's a screenshot of the default HDR, and one I got from another website. (It's a bit lighter than what is shown here, came out darker.)  It was huge and I shrunk it to 4% of it's original size. But ugh, the default HDR- is it really that horrible? Does yours look that way?  Does the size of the map matter? I kept my experiment about the same size as the default map. 

EDIT: And here's Alfred with the new map. Fast render too! It's not supposed to be a brightly lit map, and I really like the muted lighting. It did what the map was supposed to do. 

hdr maps.jpg
    1021 x 614 - 180K
    alfredNewHDR.jpg
    583 x 700 - 143K
    Post edited by Novica on

I found on another thread that default image is for lighting only, and not the background- but wouldn't a clearer image do better lighting?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

You get the same lighting from both but the light only image has less bytes so takes up less memory. That is how you tell the difference if you get two HDR images when downloading. The full HDRI that can be used as a backdrop is MB where the light only one is KB.

Thank you! Question though- how small of an image can you use to have a good background- some of the full HDRI's are a staggering size- it was 15,000 x 7500 pixels and 1.26G !!!! My studio stalled as I didn't know it was that big when I loaded it. How many MB should I get it down to? Size?

BTW folks- check for a popup before you check out with your shopping cart!!! Many of us are seeing the extra 10% off banner that expires tomorrow. It's good for your next order (excludes the usual, aka gift cards but applies to New Releases!)

Keep the ratio to 2x1 and try dropping it down in size. Most of the ones I have are 8000x4000 and just over 6MB.

Thank you very much. That gives me a good starting point. I had no clue.

Just remember if you are going to down size them to work in 32 bit and not 24 bit and save them as 32 bit HDRI's or they won't work properly as you will lose the dynamic range of the original lighting.

edited October 2015

So CMYK and not RGB. Got it. I'd better check and see what the one did which I used already. Thanks for the heads up. I'll go putz.

Edit: Goody, I did it 32 bit.

Post edited by Novica on

I think they are 32 bit RGB's rather than CMYK.

Yep, I checked and it is in Photoshop and where it states the name of the image it says RGB/32.  So I'll leave it RGB. Thanks for pointing that out. Learning a lot.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

CMYK is for print.

DYK  October 7

Mansion Backyard has nice plants along the fenceline, and plants in pots scattered throughout. If you're looking for a two story house with a pool and also some yard, this one will let you host some awesome parties! (Both Iray and 3DL, but 3DL "requires tweaking.")

FWSA Camile HD for Bethany 7  is no longer a new item, and is already 58% if you're a PC member. Then add your discounts, she's a steal!

FWSA Dayna HD for Eva 7 is also for Eva 7 and 58% off to start with. At these prices, consider adding them to the gene pool.

Iray Shaders Glass  gives you different levels of the rainbow effect, frosted effect, metallic level, and even antique effects. Not your typical "oh it's a glass" look.

Vintage Ice Cream Cart doesn't have any ice cream, so I looked up products which do: Tourist Props (not on sale) and Cafe Italia (not on sale)

Rotor Heads Gdds 76 Helicopter  is really neat- has medical and police versions, and more. The cabin inside also change.

And the Steel Refinery products are in the featured stores, they were showcased here recently. Grab 'em on sale!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Camile is really pretty. She looks like a lot of people around where I live. Definitely a real world character. 

I'm very partial to Eva's base for Gen 3 female. I think my favorite so far. Don't have Dana yet, because she's HD, and sadly I can't do these lovely- but time-consuming to render HD figures. I think Alfred will be my last. FW character, until I can upgrade to a more substantial computer.

edited October 2015

DYK  October 9th:  Want to point out something- well, several things- because if you have a lot of poses and tend to therefore "skim over" pose sets- this one has props included. You get a bowl with different liquids, and a crystal ball (not sure what I'd need that for, but it's nice that the hands are posed for a rounded item.) Also, and this is key- you get HAND POSES. 50 left, 50 right!  Lend Her Grace Poses for Genesis 3 Female(s)  (And yes, is in featured store, on sale)

Post edited by Novica on

Does anyone have any renders of P3D Quinty?  I have her wishlisted and she's in a featured store.

Novica said:

Does anyone have any renders of P3D Quinty?  I have her wishlisted and she's in a featured store.

I don't I'm curious to see what people do with her. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,151
    Novica said:

DYK  October 7

Mansion Backyard has nice plants along the fenceline, and plants in pots scattered throughout. If you're looking for a two story house with a pool and also some yard, this one will let you host some awesome parties! (Both Iray and 3DL, but 3DL "requires tweaking.")

FWSA Camile HD for Bethany 7  is no longer a new item, and is already 58% if you're a PC member. Then add your discounts, she's a steal!

FWSA Dayna HD for Eva 7 is also for Eva 7 and 58% off to start with. At these prices, consider adding them to the gene pool.

Iray Shaders Glass  gives you different levels of the rainbow effect, frosted effect, metallic level, and even antique effects. Not your typical "oh it's a glass" look.

Vintage Ice Cream Cart doesn't have any ice cream, so I looked up products which do: Tourist Props (not on sale) and Cafe Italia (not on sale)

Rotor Heads Gdds 76 Helicopter  is really neat- has medical and police versions, and more. The cabin inside also change.

And the Steel Refinery products are in the featured stores, they were showcased here recently. Grab 'em on sale!

I won't purchase any more FWSA characters for G3F until DAZ fixes FWSA Adaline HD for Victoria 7 (lump on belly on clothed figure). I submitted a bug report, but it hasn't been fixed. I don't want to take any more chances on unreturnable characters by the same artists that may have the same problem.

edited October 2015

I can certainly see why! 

If they aren't addressing the problem, I would insist on returning it. Non-returnable is IMO only if you change your mind, not if the product is defective. (Not sure how much time should be given to address this, as they'd have to identify what's causing it and it might be complicated.)  Has there been any further communication on what they're doing about it? (And thanks for mentioning it again, I assumed they'd fixed it!) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

There are a few artistic renders here of her, in various programs (poser, ds and i think blender)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1056299524389509.1073742070.855886854430778&type=3 ;

Novica said:

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,151
    Novica said:

I can certainly see why! 

If they aren't addressing the problem, I would insist on returning it. Non-returnable is IMO only if you change your mind, not if the product is defective. (Not sure how much time should be given to address this, as they'd have to identify what's causing it and it might be complicated.)  Has there been any further communication on what they're doing about it? (And thanks for mentioning it again, I assumed they'd fixed it!) 

No,CS threw it over the wall to the dev team. There is never any further word after that. Maybe a fix will show up some day - or not. Many of my bug reports are never fixed.
    edited October 2015

Thanks for the Quinty link jakiblue!

LOL, I'm watching the President's Cup and Phil Mickelson's first golf shot of the day went into a lady's upturned umbrella! She had the tip down into the ground and the ball whooshed right in, between the spokes!    (He got a free drop as obviously, it was unplayable.) 

This is Greta For Genesis 2 Female(s). Expressions do quite nicely on her. I like the eyebrows, these have a very nice arch and are different from many characters. I do like her natural makeup option.

Casual Wear Overall For Genesis 2 Female(s)   I had to go into Scene and the collarbones to get the straps to lower, and you'll probably have to use the cog and uncheck to use the limits so you can put it from -0.50 to -1.46 ish. I fiddled with it some more after this render, as they aren't quite down on the shoulders. If you can't get them on the shoulder, when you get to the collarbones in Scene, scale the straps to 98% and that will help, with Twist of -12.27  I looked at this a couple times and don't think I missed any options. I didnt see a midriff fix either, only "expand all" which is a pain frankly. 

First hair is Honey Hair which has been featured before.I did not apply the Iray Uber base- the hair seems a bit shiny- almost like a gel sheen. The second hair is Charlie Hair  (Genesis 2 Female) which I really like on her. It is a really fun, modern style. (RENDERING NOW. )

The background uses  Mayan 2012 disc, and you can choose gold, silver, bronze. 

Using the Longitude & Latitude Lighting and Render Presets for DS Iray. This one is out of the box, Tropic of Cancer/Central America, Wet Season. 

gretaIRAYLatitudeLites.jpg
    404 x 855 - 273K
    greta2IRAYLatitudeLites.jpg
    625 x 900 - 415K
    Post edited by Novica on

I like the character's mouth for some reason. Neat expression. Fun lip gloss. Agree hair on the left is too shiny, but is a convincing realistic style. Hair on the right seems to ride a bit low hairline wise, but maybe that is because Greta's brows are so high. I'd probaly have to use Nadino's morph to raise the hairline there some.

Yep, the mouth seems very "fluid" when expressions are applied, not quite as rigid. Do you have a link to Nadino's morph? I'm drawing a blank there. Have we linked it before?

edited October 2015

Oh Woot, I'd forgotten about this. (Going back through this thread. Amazing what I can't remember!) 

If you want to find a certain group of products by first letter, aka, you want to see your "F" products and do not want to go page by page through the Product Library, type this: (using f for the example)

name::rx::ci::^f

If you do a copy/paste of that, beware- the forums adds a space at the end, after the f. (It won't work. So be sure and backspace.)  If you want to find products starting with col, you'd put the col where the f is. Totally easy to use.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2015

Coming up- (trying to do some things for you while we have the PA sale going and up to 50% off) is Ordella HD for Ysabeau 6 with Bob Hair Rachel. You'll like both of those. (I've done that hair before, a lot of morphs/fixes. This is out of the box and looks good!)  Frankly, you might really surprised by her girl-next-door look. Her eyebrows are pretty natural looking, thicker than some others, and I love them! (me, the eyebrow person. I know, I know. That's my thing. I like variety and a bit more natural.) 

This is using the same lights as Greta, this character renders a bit darker, love the rich tones. She renders at a very nice speed (as does the hair) She's 21% in less than 9 minutes! 

IMPORTANT: if you render the Bow Skirt, (Genesis 2 Females) although Smoothing is On, there is a 0 setting and you might get a noticeable crinkle (looks like a mini rip) in the middle, depending on your character's bust. Turn it to 16 and you'll have smooth sailing. Looks good!  There's a nice variety of materials with the dress too. 

RENDERING NOW. Wanted to give you a heads up in case you're shopping.  

EDIT: Here she is at 70% done, that's good enough to show you what a delight she is! (And note how nice the bust is- between the breasts has no crumpled-like tears. That's the smoothing.

Edit: Here's a closeup showing the nice details of the eyebrows.

ordellaBobHairRachelIRAY.jpg
    625 x 900 - 464K
    ordellaBobHairRachel2IRAY.jpg
    973 x 1286 - 761K
    Post edited by Novica on

I like your last image a lot. That looks amazing, and the hair is cute too. 

Thank you. I added a closeup (it went 90%) so everyone could see the eyebrows better.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited October 2015

Early in the PA sale I purchased Lorenzo Lorez and Loretta Lorez by Predatron (also available in a bundle). I wanted a way to make street scenes look crowded with a lot of variety yet without the memory overheard of the standard figures. Although both sets are by the same PA, they differ in how they are used. Lorenzo has men in suits, hoodie/jeans, and  t-shirt/jeans. There's a lot of different materials for each, different beard/hair options, different skin colors, poses , body and face shape morphs, and a few props. Loretta has a base figure that you can use injection morphs to modify to change legs into pants for example, expose various parts of the arms and legs (so for example you get long sleeves, half sleeves, short sleeves or no sleeves). There's also poses, props, different hair styles, skin color, and body shapes and ages. It's taking a bit to get the hang of Loretta but it offers more variety than Lorenzo.

The work flow I've started to use is to create a new scene with 4-5 of the same type of figure (e.g., businessmen). I modify each to a different pose, clothes color, shoe style, hair and beard style, skin color, and ethnicity. I then position the figures as if they are scattered walking along a sidewalk, make a group of these figures, and save it as a scene subset. I then start a new scene and do another set of figures. I've gotten up to four sets with 17 figures and plan to keep making more. (I was thinking a script might be a good way to use this set, might have to look into what it would take to write.)  To use these presets, I merge each into a scene with an environment already in place. The render shows Stonemason's Urban Sprawl 2 The Big City with the 4 scene subsets merged in and repositioned around an intersection.

I like the set overall. They do give a good variety of different types of people. They are a bit harder to work with than I would hope but I think the workflow I have will let me build up enough subsets to create large crowd scenes. They are not for close-ups but you could use the normal figures for close-ups with these as background figures.

Street corner.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 822K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Forgot to mention the Lorenzo and Loretta figures not only have a number of pose presets, they also have IK so you can grab a hand or arm and move into a new pose. They also have a plethora of advanced body control sliders (located with shaping morphs) that allow you to quickly modify poses so you can generate a lot of variety in a scene.

This discussion has been closed.