Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I prefer this than the other looks more natural , I don't know the story and character .. but you getting better each time for sure

The hair isn't PERFECT (there's some angularity in the front), but I'm satisfied.

Using LAMH for long hair is going to be challenging, but I really like the effect. Maybe I need to find a good 'hair up in a bun' model for long shots when I don't want my computer to melt.

edited December 1969

Nice scene set Tim

TimG said:
    here's my latest
    edited December 1969

Some advice , Iray does not produce CGI as 3Delight rendering it produce CGS , and since it is simulation all materials and colors should be physically based so the photons do the job correctly , and one wrong material will crash everything else .

Base color: white (1,1,1) = Use only when you use texture maps
    Translucency weight: 0.40 = The weight depends on the skin brightness of the skin texture it should not extend 50%
    Base color effect: Scatter Only = If you transmit you have second option for the SSS back reflectance
    Translucency color: red (1,0,0) = Always red 255 on max
    Glossy layered weight: 0.20 = Here get tricky
    Share Glossy Inputs: On
    Glossy color: Flesh tone from face texture (0.66.0.42,0.30) = Never use any color other than monochrome, only metal can have color specular , the specular color of human skin in monochrome is 51 51 51 for normal and 58 58 58 for max
    Glossy color effect: Scatter Only = Scatter for glass Transmit for organic so always Scatter and transmit
    Glossy reflectivity: 0.50
    Glossy roughness: 0.55 = I prefer normal map
    Refraction Index: 1.30 = for normal skin 141 for more oily 149
    Top Coat weight: .99
    Top coat color: 1,0.63,0.63 = Never use any color other than monochrome, only metal can have color specular , the specular color of human skin in monochrome is 51 51 51 for normal and 58 58 58 for max
    Top coat effect: Scatter & Transmit = correct
    Top coat roughness: 0.50
    Top coat layering mode: Fresnel
    = correct
    Top coat IOR: 1.40 = for normal skin 141 for more oily 149
    Top coat thin film: 0= It make not as much difference unless you use micro normal
    Top coat thin film IOR: 1.50 = for normal skin 141 for more oily 149
    Top coat bump mode: Normal Map = correct
    Thin walled: off = correct
    Transmitted measurement distance: 100.00 = so wrong, max 2
    Transmitted color: 0.66,0.42,0.30 = transmit color is the base color of the skin color, pick up the skin color in image editor if you use different color it will kill the Translucency
    Scattering measurement distance: 0.50= correct
    SSS Amount: 0.30= correct
    SSS Direction: -0.50= correct

A lot of info you find on Internet was for CGI rendering mostly in empty scenes that why people used blueish tones for specular as there was not sky dome or anything , in real environment you have everything and all non metal surface need monochromatic specular color and ALWAYS GRAY SCALE and the values really lower as you may think , not enough specular showing up? check out the scene and light as specular is just reflection if there is just a blue sky nothing to reflect as much you don't get as much , but some small white plane on the other side of the face to get better effect , and if you going for real sweat check the values of water shader .. and apply it on the top coat ..

The specular will control how much you see of translucency, so it need to be balanced with the weight setting after you set everything correct , and if you lucky enough you will have one set that works in any light situation ..

ACross said:
    This is a full face render of a character in a larger scene I'm working on, (rendered to 61 iterations and resized by 50% ). I'm very happy with the skin overall except I can't seem to get the highlights. I removed some vibrancy from the skin in Photoshop (-60 Vibrance) and I'm using the Michael6 normal maps.

Base color: white (1,1,1)
    Translucency weight: 0.40
    Base color effect: Scatter Only
    Translucency color: red (1,0,0)
    Glossy layered weight: 0.20
    Glossy color: Flesh tone from face texture (0.66.0.42,0.30)
    Glossy color effect: Scatter Only
    Glossy roughness: 0.55
    Refraction Index: 1.30
    Top coat color: 1,0.63,0.63
    Top coat effect: Scatter & Transmit
    Top coat IOR: 1.40
    Top coat thin film: 0
    Top coat thin film IOR: 1.50
    Top coat bump mode: Normal Map
    Thin walled: off
    Transmitted measurement distance: 100.00
    Transmitted color: 0.66,0.42,0.30
    Scattering measurement distance: 0.50
    SSS Amount: 0.30
    SSS Direction: -0.50

I created luminosity textures in Photoshop and used those for the image maps for Translucency color and Glossy color. The product bump map is used for Base Bump and product specular map is used for Top coat color. The map used for Glossy layered weight is all white except for the character's eyebrows.

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated. :)

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

ghosty12 said:
    I see that the new version of 4.8 has updated the Iray section with a Cloud Rendering option under the advanced tab, be very interesting to see how it will work and where the servers will be and so on.. Though it seems that Cloud Rendering has been in 4.8 for a while was only now that I noticed it in the advanced settings..

You weren't missing it. It ewasn't accessible in the last Public Beta.
    edited December 1969

I love the new BETA !!!! my favorite : calculate exposure AUTO , and Resume rendering .. you can cancel rendering and resume it again as long you don't close the rendering window preview
    with the auto exposure I guess we get better renders in overall , if the surface looks too dark the dome lighting will adjust , well the Tone Mapping what is post processing as I can still adjust tone mapping when the preview render is done in view port , but cool anyway

• tomtom.wtomtom.w Posts: 138
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    I love the new BETA !!!! my favorite : calculate exposure AUTO , and Resume rendering .. you can cancel rendering and resume it again as long you don't close the rendering window preview
    with the auto exposure I guess we get better renders in overall , if the surface looks too dark the dome lighting will adjust , well the Tone Mapping what is post processing as I can still adjust tone mapping when the preview render is done in view port , but cool anyway

I have just installed it, so I haven't started looking around yet, but where do you find "calculate exposure auto"?

edited December 1969

you need to have real time rendering in the view port , the best to use the tab Aux Viewport make a small format and then when you choice the view port view as Nvidia Iray you will see small icon next to iray icon then select it and as with preview rendering select your full image it will calculate the exposure of the full render , if you like it you ready for final render

BTW I rendered our campus as Planet Pixar lol

tomtom.w said:
    MEC4D said:

I have just installed it, so I haven't started looking around yet, but where do you find "calculate exposure auto"?

planet_pixar_campus.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 670K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,933
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:

And if you look on the left of the render window there's one of those little collapse/show widgets - expand and you get the render options that can be altered without having to start from scratch, including the stop conditions so that you can raise the time or number of iterations if necessary.

Render_options_in_render.JPG
    1034 x 1131 - 193K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard, I missed this one, Awesome !!! especially if you want to add more samples without having to start from scratch , the overall rendering time is so much quicker , my test animation rendered in 3 min 200 frames before it took 1 half hour .. the loading before each rendered frame is skipped some way .. so much better than preview version .. I am excited again lol !!!

MEC4D said:

And if you look on the left of the render window there's one of those little collapse/show widgets - expand and you get the render options that can be altered without having to start from scratch, including the stop conditions so that you can raise the time or number of iterations if necessary.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited May 2015

MEC4D said:
    Some advice , Iray does not produce CGI as 3Delight rendering it produce CGS , and since it is simulation all materials and colors should be physically based so the photons do the job correctly , and one wrong material will crash everything else .

Translucency weight: 0.40 = The weight depends on the skin brightness of the skin texture it should not extend 50%
    Base color effect: Scatter Only = If you transmit you have second option for the SSS back reflectance
    Glossy color: Flesh tone from face texture (0.66.0.42,0.30) = Never use any color other than monochrome, only metal can have color specular , the specular color of human skin in monochrome is 51 51 51 for normal and 58 58 58 for max
    Glossy color effect: Scatter Only = Scatter for glass Transmit for organic so always Scatter and transmit
    Top coat color: 1,0.63,0.63 = Never use any color other than monochrome, only metal can have color specular , the specular color of human skin in monochrome is 51 51 51 for normal and 58 58 58 for max
    = correct
    Top coat thin film: 0= It make not as much difference unless you use micro normal
    Transmitted color: 0.66,0.42,0.30 = transmit color is the base color of the skin color, pick up the skin color in image editor if you use different color it will kill the Translucency

A lot of info you find on Internet was for CGI rendering mostly in empty scenes that why people used blueish tones for specular as there was not sky dome or anything , in real environment you have everything and all non metal surface need monochromatic specular color and ALWAYS GRAY SCALE and the values really lower as you may think , not enough specular showing up? check out the scene and light as specular is just reflection if there is just a blue sky nothing to reflect as much you don't get as much , but some small white plane on the other side of the face to get better effect , and if you going for real sweat check the values of water shader .. and apply it on the top coat ..

The specular will control how much you see of translucency, so it need to be balanced with the weight setting after you set everything correct , and if you lucky enough you will have one set that works in any light situation ..

Here is a result of trying out the settings above, I set it to PBR Specular/Glossiness instead of Metallicity/Roughness, the fill light is a reflector a 3 meter plane of polished aluminum.

just-another-skin-test.jpg
    1014 x 850 - 324K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited December 1969

Wanted to share this happy accident... so for my webcomic I was experimenting trying to make an environmental map for a virtual realm.

And as it turned out, after working it out, the 'stars' ended up looking identical to the balls of light I had in the scene providing extra illumination.

In this shot (cropped to avoid some mild nudity), that larger ball above the platform is actually an object, while all the smaller balls are part of the environment map.

I really like the effect.

Enviro_Example.jpg
    672 x 500 - 210K
    edited December 1969

JOY

So, after seeing in the main beta thread that you can tile maps independently from one another, biiiig lightbulb went off.

Problem I was having with regular hair was that if I tried to tile bump or displacement or whatever, it would look terrible because Cutout would also tile. FRUSTRATION ENSUED.

Sooo... now, cutout is normal. I have a generic map of alternating strands of black and white, not perfectly straight so natural look.
    Map is in Displacement, to give dimension.
    ALSO map is in Refraction, with IOR 1.0.

In this way, I create hairs with transparent bits in between, which applies within the shape permitted by Cutout, so the edges work out right.

I then tiled Refraction and Displacement with horizontal 64, though I found I needed SubD 4 before it really worked out right.

And voila!

First image is my original Xylia hair attempt (before I knew about tiling), second is my latest.

Luyeva_Siljean4.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Luyeva_Siljean2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 1969

And you rendered in soft box lighting , try other maps or sky to have areas from the sun and shadows area , and maybe would be good to get the orange tones little de-saturated or it will not works

Rareth said:
    MEC4D said:

= correct

Here is a result of trying out the settings above, I set it to PBR Specular/Glossiness instead of Metallicity/Roughness, the fill light is a reflector a 3 meter plane of polished aluminum.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited May 2015

MEC4D said:
    And you rendered in soft box lighting , try other maps or sky to have areas from the sun and shadows area , and maybe would be good to get the orange tones little de-saturated or it will not works

actually the entire scene is over exposed. running a render now with the tone mapping adjusted to more what a digital camera might see with weighted metering

ok Render is done

another-skin-test.jpg
    1014 x 850 - 387K
    Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

More experiments...

Whu_boy.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • Occams_RazorOccams_Razor Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Looking through some older content I found a Poser 6 figure called Angela that was made © 2010 by Baron Vlad Harkonnen.

I remember downloading the figure and all of the character sets a while back but not really playing with them much.

Wondering what would happen when an older figure is rendered with Iray I went back to the Pixar Campus and let CatGirl visit the grounds...

BTW This render was done with no postwork. Everything was shaded with IRay Base, (leaving the original colors), but I screwed up the hair originally so I deleted it and re-added it without any tweeking.

Comments?

CatGirl-Iray1.jpg
    813 x 699 - 373K
  • MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited May 2015

Still playing with the Sun-Sky Environment....but something is missing....it doesn't look photorealistic. :-/

I am very pleased with this as a rendered image. To my eyes it could easily be a nice picture from a story book, or screen capture from a computer game, but for some reason it lacks realism.

The clothes look fine, the skin too, and there is sun and shadows, but somehow it's not 'alive'. I know the character is concentrating, so maybe he lacks better expression, and his eyes lack any reflections and so they appear 'dead'.

I do feel I got better realism results with using HDRI environments, so will have to try this same scene with that lighting environment and compare results.
    However, people are saying that the Sun-Sky environment can produce some very realistic renders. Maybe I am doing something wrong, so any advice from people achieving photorealistic renders using the Sun-Sky Environment would be most appreciated.

Cheers. :-)

Kim.png
    1168 x 809 - 2M
    Post edited by Musicplayer on
  • Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited May 2015

More experiments...
    Nice.
    Been there, done that.... :)

You sure?!? (Okay, rethorical question. Of course you are). :lol:
    NNooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    I had that on "Scatter Only". :down:
    Pro is, after changing that to "Scatter & Transmit", Victoria's skin doesn't get the "boiled-lobster-look" anymore.
    Con is, it now turns out yellowish instead... :red:
    Sun-Sky lighting, no dome, no plane.

Victoria_7-7.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 340K
    Post edited by Arnold C on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

Here´s my latest one - http://toyen-art.deviantart.com/art/Olympia-Posing-Iray-530596163

Im sending a link because although no nipples are involved I still didnt know whether I could post it here or not.

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

As a comparison to my previous render ( post #1367) I removed the Sun-Sky environment, and keeping everything the same except for giving Kim a concentrating expression and an eye reflection, I added an HDRI environment called 'Basketball Court' kindly provided for free use by http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

What a difference. I think Kim now looks so more realistic. Now, if I could somehow get the shadows like in my first image, and the realistic look of this second render, all in one render, then it would be quite something.

:-)

Kim_Posing.png
    1168 x 809 - 2M
    edited December 1969

But you loosed also the dark edges around the model when you render and her nose is blending without edge on the nostrils
    the transmit will show off more the real base color kn place of translucent balloon if you know what I mean, yes you called it red lobster lol

all settings I wrote about depends of the right color textures , where you have no yellowish red colors as it will affect everything , your diffuse textures are the upper dermal layer what is the layer before the top coat but your problem are the the textures to much discolorations

More experiments...
    Nice.
    Been there, done that.... :)

You sure?!? (Okay, rethorical question. Of course you are). :lol:
    NNooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    I had that on "Scatter Only". :down:
    Pro is, after changing that to "Scatter & Transmit", Victoria's skin doesn't get the "boiled-lobster-look" anymore.
    Con is, it now turns out yellowish instead... :red:
    Sun-Sky lighting, no dome, no plane.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,586
    edited December 1969

Revisiting an earlier character, revamped with some translucent skin ideas (which have been... tricky with dark skin). The base skin was done in Skin Builder... I tried various ways to modify it, but they ended up meh. Stuck with a mostly unchanged skin, and it came out decently, I think.

Unshaven beard, then eyebrows and scalp hair with LAMH.

...looks great. love the full portrait.
  • DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

Single pass render with only the text for post-work. I give you, the "Hole".

LV1101s.jpg
    2000 x 1083 - 214K
  • Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited December 1969

Out of the box textures. Using the 4 point light set from Design Anvil Free Iray Lights

Mech_and_Girl.jpg
    1032 x 1086 - 203K
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,662
    edited December 1969

I fiddled with skin tones some but not happy with them. I will be happy to buy yours, MEC4D, when they come out. You are doing some really awesome renders with what you have done so far.

I love playing with HDR maps. This one is the Chelsea Stairs from sIBL Archives. I used the small HDR map that is meant for diffuse lighting. Nothing is as good as the Pixar Campus though.

I used the ground plane in the environment and everything is floating even though I put them on the floor.

shiny_ladies.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 705K
    edited December 1969

Nice one ! I see you too discovered the power of bloom effect .. looking really cool nice atmosphere

DzFire™ said:
    Single pass render with only the text for post-work. I give you, the "Hole".
    edited December 1969

Thanks !.. Nicely done , the only thing are the reflections would be good if you used some roughness to sand it down .. nice composition in overall , the clothing looks perfect too nice choice

Luci45 said:
    I fiddled with skin tones some but not happy with them. I will be happy to buy yours, MEC4D, when they come out. You are doing some really awesome renders with what you have done so far.

I love playing with HDR maps. This one is the Chelsea Stairs from sIBL Archives. I used the small HDR map that is meant for diffuse lighting. Nothing is as good as the Pixar Campus though.

I used the ground plane in the environment and everything is floating even though I put them on the floor.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

A quick IRay render of my new Arctic Fox model (Red Fox available too). Cheers

arctic-fox-iray_full.jpg
    800 x 565 - 81K
    edited May 2015

My new The Dragon Rider ... tried the new Lens thickness mm settings under camera also iray bloom filter for the atmosphere

The_Dragon_Rider_Iray_2015.jpg
    1414 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,933
    edited December 1969

A quick IRay render of my new Arctic Fox model (Red Fox available too). Cheers

That's with the hair exported to OBJ? You've done a much better job of preserving its fineness than a lot of OBJ exports of hair from various applications.

This discussion has been closed.