Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

but it only happens with your very first post in the thread. The others that I tried seem to work ok.  

Novica said:

Yep, that's what is happening sometimes with mine too. What the heck? 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited January 2017

Those are both screwing up, so I just put the full URL. So please folks, check your links. This is stupid, and not the first time it happened. I was so upset, when I checked either thread 6 or 7, an entire post full of links was NO GOOD. All that work for nothing, going to wrong posts. And I mean at least a week's worth of work down the drain. So I don't do that much anymore, with the exception of the character thread.

Jaki- the sexy skinz one still doesn't work for me, but I just put the entire URL there.

Post edited by Novica on

Hmm the sexy skinz link I posted works for me when I click it. How strange. Although this IS dazland and strange things are known to happen. LOL. 

Sheesh, I'm going through my January purchases in the product library to see which are my 3 faves...and while I have faves, it doesn't necessarily mean I have actually used them. LOL. 

Okay, got the Sexy Skinz to work by totally deleting the title and typing it over by scratch. Before, I had highlighted the title I already had typed out, and redid the link. That didn't work, it was still somehow locked on the original URL (which was correct, but acting up.) Thanks Jaki, I'm just going to remember I have to start all over, including retyping the linked words. 

You still have a day to render what you think your favorite might be lol. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    barbult said:
    Novica said:
    barbult said:

I'm confused. Are we supposed to only link to the renders and not the products? Please look at my submission above and tell me what I need to change.

Yes, the renders. Linking to a product doesn't show you used the product, doesn't show your work (which we love seeing)  See my post- although the first link is giving me fits, it's got the right link but going to the first post of this thread. It's also only one product allowed (in other words, you have three renders, but it's only for one product. To participate, you need a minimum of three products linked and shown. For an entire month, that's reasonable.) 

Am I only allowed to link to 1 render per product?

I didn't understand a clear answer to this question. I'm not asking about 1 product per render (I understand that rule), I'm asking about 1 render per favorite product. Above I linked 3 renders for my number 1 product of the month. Is that OK, or do I have to eliminate two of the links and use only 1 link for that product.

Sorry I am being so dense today. blushcrying

edited January 2017

If you don't understand it, others won't either. I'll add in the guidelines-  YOU MAY SHOW MORE THAN ONE RENDER FOR A FAVORITE PRODUCT.  In my example, I posted two for the Clown Hair. Your links so far are fine!  I did mine as "Example 2" but your link  link  link is fine too.

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

If you don't understand it, others won't either. I'll add in the guidelines-  YOU MAY SHOW MORE THAN ONE RENDER FOR A FAVORITE PRODUCT.  In my example, I posted two for the Clown Hair. Your links so far are fine!  I did mine as "Example 2" but your link  link  link is fine too.

Thank you for clarifying. I'm supposed to use the name of the product for the link, according to the guidelines. So maybe I will change the "link link link" to be more like yours with the product name for the first link and example 2, example 3 for the other two.

(It still seems strange to me that we are not providing a link to the product in the store, because people will see our renders and may want to buy that product. You always link to products on other posts, so I'm kind of puzzled why not in the top 3 posting. My densness continues.)

I originally misunderstood (before I reread the updated guidelines) and thought I had to pick my top three from the month from things I BOUGHT that month. But really it is just things I RENDERED that month. I will be able to selecte a favorite 2 and 3 now that I understand that.

edited January 2017

Jakiblue's Top 5 Picks for January:

I didn't purchase a lot during January, but I did pick up a few things that I'm really really happy I did. In no particular order, they are:

1. Star 2.0 - I absolutely suck at working with toons. I love toons and really enjoy looking at other people's toon art, but boy, I can't for the life of me doing anything decent with them. That said, I am absolutely addicted to Star, both the original and the new Star 2 for G3F. I was ecstatic to learn that Reg was porting Star over to G3F, and drooled for a while when she was released but was only able to nab her this month. Here I used her with HP Myrtle character - and I kinda always though that Star 2.0 was absolutely perfect when she's creepy...gothic...weird. I have to say, purchasing Star 2.0 was my total and utter favourite thing to do this month. 
    2. Sand Serpent Outfit for Genesis 3 Female - to be honest, there's not a lot of outfits that I fall in love with. There were only a couple of them that I purchased this month that I was truly happy with. The Sand Serpent outfit surprised me by quickly becoming a favourite. I really really like the top - I think it works equally well in the fantasy genre or the modern genre. Heck I even think you could use it in sci fi. The included textures were impressive, as they all seem to be inspired by different genres. I think the one I used here was my fave tho - I'm drawn to earthy tones, and this is the one that is kinda transparent at the bottom of the skirt/top. 
    3. Go Go Outfit for Genesis 3 Female - you've got no idea how long I have been wanting a retro 60s go go outfit. LOL. I love vintage clothing and really wish we could get more in the store. Bellbottoms! Flares! Gogo outfits! Minis! (oh wait, there are a lot of minis I guess LOL But a specifically 60/70s mini outfit would be cool) And hairstyles! We need more vintage hairstyles! Anyway, I squeeeeed very loudly when I first saw this outfit and swore it would be mine. Was only able to nab it this month, and it's immediately become a favourite. 
    4. Ceridwen and Fantasy Skins for G3F - omg has there ever been a more stunning character than Ceridwen?? I fell head over heels for her. Three different variations of her going from modern/normal to fantasy, and those EYES. Wow. And I was really happy with this render of her. The sparkles came up beautifully and those doe eyes are so expressive, even if you don't do a facial expression. She's right up there in my all time favourite characters. 
    5. GDN Kelly for G3F - I did two renders of Kelly this month, and it was hard to pick which one to feature here. I finally went with this one due to my love of all things vintage. She's such a cute freckly face redhead look to her, and she immediately screamed "1940s" to me. Ha. I was so happy with the way this one turned out - she looks to me like she is smiling sweetly adn innocently but I feel she has a bit of mischief in her eyes, like she's got a secret that she's not going to tell you. I really the character Kelly as she also comes with a 'dirty skin' version, thus making her quite versatile. 
    Post edited by jakiblue on

Wait. I thought it WAS products we had actually BOUGHT this month. Not just images we had rendered this month that we really liked? 

barbult said:
    Novica said:

I originally misunderstood (before I reread the updated guidelines) and thought I had to pick my top three from the month from things I BOUGHT that month. But really it is just things I RENDERED that month. I will be able to selecte a favorite 2 and 3 now that I understand that.

Wait. I thought it WAS products we had actually BOUGHT this month. Not just images we had rendered this month that we really liked? 

barbult said:
    Novica said:

barbult said:

(It still seems strange to me that we are not providing a link to the product in the store, because people will see our renders and may want to buy that product. You always link to products on other posts, so I'm kind of puzzled why not in the top 3 posting. My densness continues.)

Trying to keep it simple. Since the majority of renders won't be within my thread, it would be hard to have a link to the product, and a link to the render. If people like what they see, the render link (which is the product name) tells them exactly what to find in the store. 

jakiblue said:

barbult said:
    Novica said:

The Guidelines say "What have you rendered this month which are your favorites? Show us your renders and top picks!". I interpreted that to mean that it didn't have to be purchased in January. Novica better come and clarify again.

Correct, it gives you more options- that's why it also says oldies and goodies can be included. It's anything you RENDERED this month.

COOL! I'll let mine stand cos I did render those this month, as well as purchase the products this month, but that makes next month even easier. :D  

Novica said:

Correct, it gives you more options- that's why it also says oldies and goodies can be included. It's anything you RENDERED this month.

Jakiblue- you can do up to FIVE. So if you want to add or change, you have until tomorrow evening. If there's two more you want to show us, go ahead!

Novica said:

Jakiblue- you can do up to FIVE. So if you want to add or change, you have until tomorrow evening. If there's two more you want to show us, go ahead!

Why only until tomorrow evening? The guidelines say SUBMIT FROM JAN 30TH through FEB 7th, Daz midnight time.

Do you mean the cutoff for rendering is tomorrow evening, but the cutoff for posting is Feb 7?

Done! Added two more images that I was really happy with, with their products.  

Novica said:

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited February 2017

Ice Dragon Art's Top 5 For January

Not in any particular order here is the Water Dragon

The BOSS light set that came out today - the next three of my choices were all rendered using these lights as well.

Darwins Mishaps Damon for G3M wearing his fey skin.

The Pharaohs of the Sun Dress Children of Aten 2 texture  for V4 this is on my deviant art account it has very moderate nudity. Nothing is uncovered but it is a bit see through so its no longer posted here.

Forest Daphni for V4

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited January 2017
    barbult said:
    Novica said:

Why only until tomorrow evening? The guidelines say SUBMIT FROM JAN 30TH through FEB 7th, Daz midnight time.

Do you mean the cutoff for rendering is tomorrow evening, but the cutoff for posting is Feb 7?

Yes- it's January Renders. I want to give people the chance to look through what they rendered. Not everyone has a thread, and their renders may be scattered throughout the galleries, forums, etc. I'll add a few words to it (like submit your January renders from..)  Thanks for asking questions, it helps with stating things clearly.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2017

Moderators, can you tell the web team to get these links fixed?  It took SIX TIMES to link to Ice Dragon Art's post. You can get through to them faster than I can. REPORT THIS PLEASE!!!!!

Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

That's a bit ridiculous.  Wow.  Hope they fix it soon!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited January 2017

Divamakeup's Top Five Picks for January:

1) Urban Sprawl2 The Big City - This is a fantastic city set. It's MASSIVE, highly detailed, and just a fun set to render with for modern day renders. I've purchased it recently and was hesitant to buy it, considering it's age. I didn't know how well it would render in Iray - but, imo, it does render quite well in Iray. :) It's an amazingly large set with a great amount of detail - definitely my favorite modern set.

2) Gwennili HD for Victoria 7 - This character is one of my all time favorite characters that I've purchased. She has an incredible amount of detail and is just a beautiful figure. Here I mixed her with two other characters to create my FAVORITE new character! :D

3 & 4) Star 2.0 and SF Ball Joint Doll for Genesis 3 Female(s) - (second and third render in that post) - Those two figures make for great toon type characters, but also make great "doll" characters. I'm using Star 2.0's shape and Ball Joint Doll's shape combined to create a "rag doll" type character. I've also used Star and Ball Joint Doll's shapes to create some Non-Photorealistic Renders: here and here.

5) Minnie Bow Hair and here (second render) - I've recently purchased this hair (about a month ago) and rendered the hair quite a bit this month (adjusted with shaders). It's such a beautiful and timeless hair with feminine grace and lots of lovely loose hair locks available with the included morphs. I really love how detailed this hair is with it's stray tendrils and how it comes with 26 adjustment morphs and style morphs. I'm so glad I purchased it!

Post edited by 3Diva on

Love these lists! Divamakeup, just checked yours and it added without any problems. Appreciate the extra effort you folks are making to participate, I know it will help people when they shop or wishlist items. Hopefully some of these will be offered during March Madness. 

edited January 2017

Hey Sonja- would you mind putting Ice Dragon Art's Top 5 For January as the title? (perhaps bold and pick a color. We've all used red but you don't have to)  Some of these links, when clicked on, almost drop people down so far they wonder which link it is. I hate that. I want it to be clear which post they are surfing into.

Thanks! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited January 2017

RGcincy's Top 4 Picks for January:

1. Iray Ghost Light Kit: I really like these lights for interior scenes. Took me a while to figure out how to best light Sacrament but it turned out well.

2. Tithe Barn: Great rustic interior (shown) but also complete exterior

3. Step Van Bundle: A workhorse vehicle for city scenes. Comes in a variety of paint schemes and styles with supporting props. Own your own taco truck! 

4. Peaceful House: Enjoy relaxing vistas and outdoor living

Post edited by RGcincy on

I want those rag doll texture!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D  

Divamakeup's Top Five Picks for January:

1) Urban Sprawl2 The Big City - This is a fantastic city set. It's MASSIVE, highly detailed, and just a fun set to render with for modern day renders. I've purchased it recently and was hesitant to buy it, considering it's age. I didn't know how well it would render in Iray - but, imo, it does render quite well in Iray. :) It's an amazingly large set with a great amount of detail - definitely my favorite modern set.

2) Gwennili HD for Victoria 7 - This character is one of my all time favorite characters that I've purchased. She has an incredible amount of detail and is just a beautiful figure. Here I mixed her with two other characters to create my FAVORITE new character! :D

3 & 4) Star 2.0 and SF Ball Joint Doll for Genesis 3 Female(s) - (second and third render in that post) - Those two figures make for great toon type characters, but also make great "doll" characters. I'm using Star 2.0's shape and Ball Joint Doll's shape combined to create a "rag doll" type character. I've also used Star and Ball Joint Doll's shapes to create some Non-Photorealistic Renders: here and here.

5) Minnie Bow Hair and here (second render) - I've recently purchased this hair (about a month ago) and rendered the hair quite a bit this month (adjusted with shaders). It's such a beautiful and timeless hair with feminine grace and lots of lovely loose hair locks available with the included morphs. I really love how detailed this hair is with it's stray tendrils and how it comes with 26 adjustment morphs and style morphs. I'm so glad I purchased it!

It's doing it AGAIN. I can't link to RGcincy's. It's going to the post above this one, to Jakiblue's comment about the rag doll texture. 

Same here. :( I just tried it.  

Novica said:

It's doing it AGAIN. I can't link to RGcincy's. It's going to the post above this one, to Jakiblue's comment about the rag doll texture. 

Ok. I even went to RGincy's profile, clicked "view member's posts" and then clicked on the first one that came up which is the top picks. And it still took me to MY post just above. 

It just worked for me, and I didn't do a darn thing to change it. If the moderators helped by reporting it, thanks. If not, they need to report this behavior and expedite attention to the problem. People's links may be going bad all over the forum (good one minute, bad the next, or bad then good...but do they stay that way?)  Everyone doesn't check their links after they post them, you assume when you do a copy/paste into the link textbox that it works. I posted over in Commons about the problem as the Art Studio posts may not be seen as quickly as over there. 

I will definitely check each link I do- if you guys find one that isn't working, it means it's flipped to bad after I checked it. 

Going to get some sleep- if anyone has questions about participating,  just ask, anyone who understands the way it works can help you. I simplified the Guidelines (in the first post of the thread) too.  It's 1:45am here, so see you in the morning! 

This discussion has been closed.