Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576
    edited January 2017

Been a while since I've posted any NPR in this thread, so here's a couple black & white algorithms I've been honing (featuring Wormlip wearing Strangefate's incredible Kadis Armor):

I've got a lot of irons in the fire at the moment, but once things settle down a bit, I'll do a short animation . . . it's alive!

- Greg

bw-00001a.png
    800 x 519 - 342K
    bw-00001.png
    800 x 519 - 257K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    edited January 2017

These are oldies of original Star done in Poser, then postworked...

image.jpeg
    587 x 792 - 148K
    image.jpeg
    572 x 792 - 207K
    image.jpeg
    567 x 777 - 445K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • These are oldies of original Star done in Poser, then postworked...

This is definitely my favorite of the three. I think the colors are just brighter and more appropriate for the toon look you're using. My one suggestion would be to look at the bikini top. It's not flattering -- it looks like she's got two bowls over her breasts. I suggest doing an image search for Betty and Veronica to see how the talented Archie artists handle sexy-but-cute bikinis. The more I look at this, the more I like it! She's adorable. Great job.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Love this one! So whimsical. :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Figured out how to create an 'outline' shader in Iray... so now there's Toon Iray.

The only postwork is adjusting contrast.

Details in my freebies thread.

Hiver2 Promenade IToon.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
  • Figured out how to create an 'outline' shader in Iray... so now there's Toon Iray.

Very interesting. Looking forward to reading the details.

edited January 2017

Figured out how to create an 'outline' shader in Iray... so now there's Toon Iray.

Wow, that is cool! :)

Post edited by firewarden on

And now I'm kicking myself.

You know what works even better and is way easier? Just using a flat black geoshell with cutout at .5.

Duh.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816

keep those cogs turning Will.

I am certain you will figure out the iray canvases too and a way to add more layers for postwork,

(maybe a depth pass and vertex normals as greyscale)

Oh, I know all about that.

And actually, after testing the geoshell with regular Iray, it only works ok at close range, so my outline thing turns out to be useful after all.

Huh. Ok, well it works nicely composited!

First image uses my Outliner geoshell shader. Second uses a simple '50% transparent black' geoshell. Third composites them together and, IMO, is a much better result than the previous two.

Hiver2 Promenade IToon.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
    Hiver2 Promenade IToon2.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
    Hiver2 Promenade IToonC.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M

You're right. Very cool! :)

Here's a rerender of something I worked on before.

You know, this might just ... steal me away from PWToon and similar, because it works at least as well, and just as fast. This render was at 2160x2160, took 7 minutes. And I could probably have stopped it at 3 or 4 minutes, I just got distracted by something.

Tensor Tam IT.png
    1748 x 1080 - 1M
  • Tanis VoltaTanis Volta Posts: 550
    edited January 2017

Here's a rerender of something I worked on before.

You know, this might just ... steal me away from PWToon and similar, because it works at least as well, and just as fast. This render was at 2160x2160, took 7 minutes. And I could probably have stopped it at 3 or 4 minutes, I just got distracted by something.

it's amazing 0_0

I like just as it is now, did you use the outliner shader or your new black flat geoshell method?

Post edited by Tanis Volta on
    edited January 2017

Outliner shader on a geoshell (the original thing I worked on). After considering the options, I DO like it, afterall; it rather reliably makes for clean lines in many cases with minimal work. It also works far better for hair than almost every other toon thing I've tried to use in 3DL, so that's an unexpected plus.

I was worried it would make for long renders, but even after a few minutes it looked decent, so I was worried for nothing.

I also made a simple 'flat white' shader (white base color, glossy weight 0) to quickly add while keeping bump/normal maps (for nice detail).
     I'll probably include that whenever I finish WTP3 under a Toon thing.

Workflow is pretty simple:

Right-click Add flat white to all surfaces, then get rid of any base color maps. Want to preserve cutout/bump/normal.

Add geometry shells to everything I need. Apply WT Outline to all the geoshells.

Adjust lighting to get the contrast I want, possibly some tweaking of outline levels for specific surfaces.

Hide Cornea/Eye Reflection. (cutout Opacity 0)

And... that's pretty much it.

Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited January 2017

it is perfect, I can only think the next big thing would be a plugin or something to remember original shaders and procedurally reapply with a semirealistic procedurally generated airbrushed version all inside the outlined scene, it  is doable?  a different approaching with iray..

I'm not entirely sure what you mean... do you mean something to 'toonify' the original map?

I love landscapes. Here's one of the standard presets for TerraDome3, converted (glossy and color maps erased, but preserved bumpiness).

Toon Terrain.png
    1305 x 1080 - 1M
    edited January 2017

I mean not erasing color maps but lessened like turning to residual colors with a sketching feel and also hav e everything remarked with outliner.  It would help landscapes or scenes with to much details. 

Can a geoshell reduce colors and make or keep a black strong outline at same time?

Lessened in being less saturated?

What you CAN do is simplify base color to simple colors, like 'skin is peach/tan' and so on.

If you want all the colors muted, probably easiest to desaturate or devibrance in an image editor as postwork.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

This is using Will's new "WT Graysketch" shader with some "base color" color tinting on the different surfaces and light post work in Photoshop. 

I like the colors in the last one the best. Like Diva and I were talking a little bit about earlier, the limited palette/hues really helps make things look more like an illustration (as opposed to the full range that you would see in a photo or 3D render). Anyway, they look great - even if they are older. Keep 'em coming, Alicia! - Greg
    edited January 2017

Here's the output (6 of the styles) for an old scene run through the current algos (one of a batch of 12 scenes rendered overnight): 

This scene is a good, challenging test to judge separation. I still love me some Noodles!

- Greg

01.png
    800 x 450 - 683K
    02.png
    800 x 450 - 470K
    03.png
    800 x 450 - 794K
    04.png
    800 x 450 - 560K
    05.png
    800 x 450 - 698K
    06.png
    800 x 450 - 774K
    Post edited by algovincian on

Here's the output (6 of the styles) for an old scene run through the current algos (one of a batch of 12 scenes rendered overnight): 

This scene is a good, challenging test to judge separation. I still love me some Noodles!

- Greg

Oh WOW! Those are INCREDIBLE! Ahhhh So cool!! 

I can't decide which one I like best. They are all so good!

Those cats totally belong in a children's book. Those look like really wonderful illustrations. If I found those in a children's book my jaw would drop and I'd think that they where done by an illustrator and took MANY MANY hours to draw and paint. 

Most excellent work! 

• I love Noodle as a kitten!  I love the little on up front stretching.  Expressions are wonderful.  Wow! An awesome scene even before you started doing your magic it.  :)

Those cats totally belong in a children's book. Those look like really wonderful illustrations. If I found those in a children's book my jaw would drop and I'd think that they where done by an illustrator and took MANY MANY hours to draw and paint. 

Most excellent work! 

Thanks, Diva - it means a lot. I feel satisfied with everything the algos are producing on a wide variety of scenes, but continue to struggle with how to get volumetrics into the mix. The shader and script to produce a volumetric pass have been written for a while now, but how to get the algos to draw lines based on that volumetric pass continues to be a mystery to me. I keep waiting for that eureka moment, but it never comes lol!

- Greg

I love Noodle as a kitten!  I love the little on up front stretching.  Expressions are wonderful.  Wow! An awesome scene even before you started doing your magic it.  :)

Thanks Knittingmommy, but although all of the poses were tweaked, most of the credit has to go to 3DUniverse. Noodle the Toon Cat comes with numerous poses, which are all extremely expressive. Noodle and the Enchanted Forest were 2 of the first products I ever purchased and they both remain among my favorites to this day.

- Greg

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I think this counts.  I painted over her skin, the jewelry and her hair.  I didn't want it to be completley realistic and I like the smooth look of the skin

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I had a blast playing with the nik filters on this.  This is one of my favorites.  I do want to start learning how to do the LineRender 9000, I have it but haven't tried it. I would kind of like to take an image and make a good line drawing out of it and then go into photoshop and paint the whole thing.  I really enjoy painting line drawings, so if I can make my own line drawings and paint them, I would be very pleased.

This discussion has been closed.