Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    MelanieL said:

The Bridge for Photoshop is not installing for me this is what it says:

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.8+ (Win 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CC, CS6, CS5, CS4 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Can someone help me with this issue plz n ty?

Saphirewild

Do you have Adobe Photoshop installed on your machine? If you do, then you need to open the DIM (DAZ Install Manager) and click on the little cog shape in the top right corner to open the settings window, click on the Applications tab and add the location where you have Photoshop installed, e.g. C:/Programs/Adobe/.... whatever.

If yo do not have Adobe Photoshop installed, then you do not need the Bridge at all, so you can ignore the error message.

I do not have Potoshop, and thanks for such a quick responce MelanieL

• Is this your first of DS or did you have an older (pre-4.5) version? If you did have an older version DS may be looking for the Genesis.dsf file, instead of the .duf file you get in Starter Essentials. You can go to Edit>Preferences>Startup tab and either choose not to load a file by unchecking the option or change it to point to the figure you want loaded when you start by clicking the existing file name and selecting Browse... from the menu.

Is this your first of DS or did you have an older (pre-4.5) version? If you did have an older version DS may be looking for the Genesis.dsf file, instead of the .duf file you get in Starter Essentials. You can go to Edit>Preferences>Startup tab and either choose not to load a file by unchecking the option or change it to point to the figure you want loaded when you start by clicking the existing file name and selecting Browse... from the menu.

this is first DS on this computer/Laptop. can you plz explain more about what you mean go to Edit/Preferences/startup tab?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,428

You need to add the path to your Photoshop folder in DIM on the applications tab.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

PS When I load the Daz4 it says some file or something is not found right on main screan!!

Does DAZ Studio load?   We need to know what the error message is? 

• Is this your first of DS or did you have an older (pre-4.5) version? If you did have an older version DS may be looking for the Genesis.dsf file, instead of the .duf file you get in Starter Essentials. You can go to Edit>Preferences>Startup tab and either choose not to load a file by unchecking the option or change it to point to the figure you want loaded when you start by clicking the existing file name and selecting Browse... from the menu.

this is first DS on this computer/Laptop. can you plz explain more about what you mean go to Edit/Preferences/startup tab?

Edit menu (or DAZ Studio menu on a Mac), select Preferences, go to the Startup tab in the dialogue.

frank0314 said:

You need to add the path to your Photoshop folder in DIM on the applications tab.

I do not have photoshop though, so what do I do in this case?

frank0314 said:

I do not have photoshop though, so what do I do in this case?

Don;t install the plugin, it is of no use to you.

PS When I load the Daz4 it says some file or something is not found right on main screan!!

This is what it says right when it loads the screan:

Could not open startup screan: C:/users/nancy lin/documents/DAZ3D/studio/mylibary/people/Genesis/Genesis.dsf

File does not exist

Could not open startup screan: C:/users/nancy lin/documents/DAZ3D/studio/mylibary/people/Genesis/Genesis.dsf

File does not exist

What it is looking for, is a startup scene, loading the base Genesis model.   You can go to Edit > Preferences > Startup > Load File, and change it to 'None'.   The error wont cause any problems, and at a later stage, you can change it to load a scene of your choosing (if needed).

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You may need to change Edit / Preferences / Scene ; On "New"  Load File to 'None' also.

File does not exist

What it is looking for, is a startup scene, loading the base Genesis model.   You can go to Edit > Preferences > Startup > Load File, and change it to 'None'.   The error wont cause any problems, and at a later stage, you can change it to load a scene of your choosing (if needed).

Now it is saying it will not load any charactors or anything, now what do I do?

File does not exist

I uninstalled it till I get an answer to this question cause it can not find any content or anything so not sure wth I am doing wrong. I installed everything I had to at least I thought it all went in but there is nothing in content or anyting.

File does not exist

I uninstalled it till I get an answer to this question cause it can not find any content or anything so not sure wth I am doing wrong. I installed everything I had to at least I thought it all went in but there is nothing in content or anyting.

The program, DAZ Studio, and the content are two entirely different things, one does not affect the other.

Please reinstall DAZ Studio.   Are you using DIM (DAZ Install Manager) to install your content?   If so, it installs all of your content by default to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library, and you MUST enter that path inside DAZ Studio in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager under BOTH DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats.   DIM does not do that for you, you have to enter the path your self, then it will show up.

Once you have the content installed, you will see it in the Content Library pane if you have put the path in Content Directory Manager.

Smart Content relies on Metadata, and uses a database to display your content, but that can be sorted out later, let's get the Content Library pane working first.

Please try and give full details of any error messages that you receive so that we can help you.   If you are having problems seeing or loading content, there is no need to uninstall DAZ Studio, that wont help at all, just make sure that DAZ Studio knows where your content is installed to. 

File does not exist

The program, DAZ Studio, and the content are two entirely different things, one does not affect the other.

Please reinstall DAZ Studio.   Are you using DIM (DAZ Install Manager) to install your content?   If so, it installs all of your content by default to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library, and you MUST enter that path inside DAZ Studio in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager under BOTH DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats.   DIM does not do that for you, you have to enter the path your self, then it will show up.

Once you have the content installed, you will see it in the Content Library pane if you have put the path in Content Directory Manager.

Smart Content relies on Metadata, and uses a database to display your content, but that can be sorted out later, let's get the Content Library pane working first.

Please try and give full details of any error messages that you receive so that we can help you.   If you are having problems seeing or loading content, there is no need to uninstall DAZ Studio, that wont help at all, just make sure that DAZ Studio knows where your content is installed to. 

Well when I went to do the tutorial for loading charactors the error mesage that came up said it could not find the charactor I was looking for. then went into scene then it said when I clicked on one of the icons that it was missing as well. So I am not sure what I am supposed to do to get Daz to find what I am looking for.

edited October 2015

Did you install your content using DIM?   Did you install to the default location?

If so, go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and enter the path to the content as I have already explained.

The only way that DAZ Studio knows where your content is, is for you to enter that path.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on

Did you install your content using DIM?   Did you install to the default location?

If so, go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and enter the path to the content as I have already explained.

The only way that DAZ Studio knows where your content is, is for you to enter that path.

yes I did on both questions JimmyC, I will reload daz now and do that right now I hope it works. So want to dive into the tutorials and get started creating.

edited October 2015

Enter the first path on my list for both formats as shown:

Untitled-1.jpg
    554 x 748 - 263K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    554 x 748 - 263K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    554 x 748 - 263K
    Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on

Enter the first path on my list for both formats as shown:

C:\users\nancy lin\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library that is what both of  mine are saying buttttt it is still not loading anything saying files can not be found when I double click on anything content wise. You can tell it has been a long time since I have been using Daz huh?

C:\users\nancy lin\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

That is the older default path for DAZ Studio content.   DIM does NOT install to that folder, you have to change the path to the one I posted earlier if you used DIM to install to the default path. 

C:\users\nancy lin\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

That is the older default path for DAZ Studio content.   DIM does NOT install to that folder, you have to change the path to the one I posted earlier if you used DIM to install to the default path. 

Thanks so much it is finally working properly, and Thanks for your patients now I am off to do the tutorials yes

• Greetings,

After 6 days of pulling my hair out I finally was able to load DAZ Studio 4.8, 32bit, with all the content, and it may work for 62bit as well.

I would open Studio 4.8 after downloading and there would be no content, which was because I did not follow the steps in downloading the content I have listed below.

Good luck, and have fun!

PS.. Do not open Studio 4.8 untill you have installed the content list, even though you see the ICON on you desktop!

Once you have installed Daz Install Manager, you will want to enter your account information (email and password). Once it has logged in, look under the Ready to Download tab. Locate "Daz Studio 4.8", check the check box next to it, make sure "Install after Download" is checked at the bottom of the window and click Start Queue at the bottom left. This will install Daz Studio. Once installed, you will see it listed under the Installed tab.

After Daz Studio is installed, you will need to install your content (figures, clothing, etc). Locate and check the boxes next to Genesis Starter Essentials, Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials, Genesis 2 Male Starter Essentials, Genesis 3 Female Starter Essentials and Default Lights & Shaders. Click Start Queue.

Once these are all installed, open Daz Studio. There should be a launch icon on your desktop.

For additional help learning to use Daz Studio, please see our Quick Start Guide here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguid...

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I prefer not to have Install After Download checked.  It can cause problems if you are downloading both the program and plug-ins as the plug-ins being smaller will download first and attempt to install to a program that doesn't exist.

• edited November 2015

When I try to install Genesis 3 Starter Essentials it says "install failed" after a split second.  Trying to load her up in DS 4.8.

EDIT:  turns out i need to run it in administrator, so now it's working.  DECENT!

Post edited by blawsonhull_d4dce55f7f on
  • edited December 2015

I can't figure out how to launch DAZ Studio on my Macbook.  I installed & ran the installer, accepted the EULA, in "Applications" I have the DAZ folder. The only executable file is DAZ3DIM.app which launches the installer.  That comes back up to my account & shows what I have loaded, but doesn't actually run DAZ Studio.

The installer says I have the following installed: 

DAZ Studio 4.8 (Mac 64-bit)

Dafault Lights & Shaders for DAZ Studio

Genesis 2 Male Starter Essentials

Subsurface Shader Base

I can't figure out how to launch any of this and actually start working in a 3D environment.  Dumb question, I know but... any help please? 

-----------

On a similar note, the installer says I have 14 packages installed, but the 5 I listed are the only ones I see.  Where are the other nine?  I know for one I installed Growing Up Genesis 3 but I don't see it.  I watched the installer go through entire install routine with that package.  Thanks! 

Post edited by leaping_gnome_1f578071ea on
  • edited December 2015

Ok, I figured out about the 14 packages.  The 5 that I listed have a check mark.  But there are a total of 14, nine of which do not have a checkmark.  It seems like the 5 checked ones are "smart" and have additional metadata. The other nine do not have additional metadata.  Not sure how this helps me.  Anyway, I still can't launch the application to work in a 3D environment. 

Post edited by leaping_gnome_1f578071ea on
  • This looks like a very helpful and informative blog, but it's not very up-to-date. I'm just hoping it's not defunct. I've had problems related to having Daz Studio open when I have Installation Manager bnring in new content. V4 and M4 clothing installed that way shows up in the content library (right side panel), but not in smart content (left side). And I have yet to find a way to get the clothing to load onto a model in the scene window.

So I have questions.

First, if you have DS open when you have IM download and install content ... and it doesn't work, THEN what do you do? I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the content without any improvement.

Second, I have suspicions that my woes lie in the early use of scripts to install content ... the .ds files ... that might not be recognized by IM.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you might have!

Thanks,

Kent

Ok, I figured out about the 14 packages.  The 5 that I listed have a check mark.  But there are a total of 14, nine of which do not have a checkmark.  It seems like the 5 checked ones are "smart" and have additional metadata. The other nine do not have additional metadata.  Not sure how this helps me.  Anyway, I still can't launch the application to work in a 3D environment. 

Why can't you launch DAZ Studio?    Do you get error messages, does it open and display the UI?    More information needed.

This looks like a very helpful and informative blog, but it's not very up-to-date. I'm just hoping it's not defunct. I've had problems related to having Daz Studio open when I have Installation Manager bnring in new content. V4 and M4 clothing installed that way shows up in the content library (right side panel), but not in smart content (left side). And I have yet to find a way to get the clothing to load onto a model in the scene window.

So I have questions.

First, if you have DS open when you have IM download and install content ... and it doesn't work, THEN what do you do? I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the content without any improvement.

Second, I have suspicions that my woes lie in the early use of scripts to install content ... the .ds files ... that might not be recognized by IM.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you might have!

Thanks,

Kent

To load clothing onto a figure in the Viewport window, select the figure in either the Scene Pane or the Viewport, double click on the clothing to load it.   It sounds to me like you are trying to load a material for a piece of clothing, and not the clothing item itself.   If it is clothing for V4 or M4 it will be in CR2 (Poser Format) and you will need to look in the Content Library under Poser Formats, in DAZ Studio Formats you will only find DAZ Studio optimised materials.   All Generation 4 figures were in Poser Format.

Your problem with content may be that the path to your content is not listed in the Content Directory Manager.    Go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and make sure that the path to your library folder is listed as BOTH DAZ Studio Formats AND Poser Formats there.   If you are using DIM to install, the it installs it's content into C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library by default.

• Thanks for the quick response! I still haven't gotten anywhere. I'm dealing with the Scrubs Outfit for V4 and Cowboy for M4. All files are .ds with .png icons. They show up in my content library but not in smart content. When I right-click on an item, "load" does nothing. "Show in Smart Content > Files displays the icon over there, but you can't load from there with either a double click or dragging onto the selected figure. I've tried copying some of the clothing files with their icons into the "My DAZ 3D Library" so they'll be in the company of the Runtime folder -- no good, either.

On top of all this, I just noticed that Michael 7, who shows up in Smart Content and loads just fine, isn't in my DAZ 3D Library! I'm guessing I had DAZ running when Install Manager brought him in....