-
I'm Back! And I missed you!! Bluebird = Blackbeard
Forgive me for my uninvited constructive critism.I found your youtube channel refreshing and honest despite the multiple excuses/apologies. You can't let others expectations and their timelines demand content from you. If you are brave enough to try a similar channel on Youtube again, under promise and over deliver. Tell people you're busy and when you can share - you will. Don't let others dictate your schedule. Do what you want when you want and set those terms upfront. I found your persona on Bluebird/Youtube magnetic. Your personality shone thru as a strong asset. I think you overthought the process and may have felt overwhelmed by 'expectations'. I really think your personality and attitude would do really well on youtube if you did at your pace. Great content every now is far better than junk every week or god forbid every other day. Be brave. Tell people, "I'm busy, I can't commit to a set schedule but subscribe and you'll get a notification when I post". The Youtube world is far larger than Daz Stusio members and the world could be your oyster.
I'm back! I've been hard at work since January but it took time to get into the swing of things after taking a year off because... reasons.
I loved the reach outs and the messages asking if I was okay. Thank you so much!!
Where have I been?
I took my business apart, sold the assets that gave Bluebird equity and then rebuilt and rebranded as: Blackbeard Media.
Last year was a lot of fun in the outside sales world and living on commission was no different than being a full-time PA here. Having a boss for the first time in years was tricky. I'm not used to being told what to do or when to do it. Overall it was a worthwhile experience and provided the creative refresh I really needed. I met some awesome Central New York locals because of it.
No worries: I'm headed back to YouTube and Instagram. I shut Facebook and Twitter down (I'm way too political to not be a complete dick on those mediums) so if you want to connect, let's stick with the visual mediums. This is 3d Art, after all! I'll letcha know when the handles are ready for friending.
So what did I miss last year? What's your favorite render? Have you learned any new skills just for fun?
Edit: And by the way I did hire a PA who delivered and did not ignore me so I found that video to be a tad off.
Thanks for the effort and the feedback. That was very brave and I appreciate it. You got me thinking!
I Forgot What My Complaint Was - Complaint ThreadIs 40 degrees c cold or hot?
cold for a computer/Central processing unit and video card.
I Forgot What My Complaint Was - Complaint ThreadI don't like the big train station in Washington, D.C. Signage is poor. I couldn't find the ticket counter to buy a train ticket nor the entrance to the subway station. Apparently the renovations on fixed the outside of the building and the food court. I couldn't find the other platforms for trains that go southbound. Lighting in the waiting room is a bit dark too. Fix the train section now! No more shops and restaurants. I'm going to take the train out of a smaller station next time if I can.
Sorry you had a bad experience. I lived in Washington, DC for many years and believe me, Union Station is a LOT better than it used to be back in the '80s. It was a half closed, trashed, leaky, disgustingly dirty, dangerous building before the refurbishment.
Finding a train was a nightmare of circuitous, temporary, narrow, plywood lined, passageways around the fallen roof segments and dirty pools of slimy water/sludge. Nobody in their right mind would take a train from there. (I know because I was not in my right mind a couple of times).
Now it's all put back together. Marble polished, ceiling gold leafed, clean & safe. Plenty of parking for cars and buses in the huge parking garage on the back side of the building. Interior shopping malls are spacious and elegant. Connection to the Metro is conveniently located with not one, but two entrances, one at the west end of each of the two shopping halls right where the Metro logos are. Ticketing booths and waiting area are right there on the ground floor of the north side of the smaller shopping hall. I took the train to Grand Central Station in NYC several times, and from the look of the local stations along the way I would be afraid I'd catch some disease if I touched anything at one of them. American trains are dismal, but Union Station in Washington DC, and Grand Central in NYC are gems among coal. You can even fly into either National(Reagan) airport or Dulles airport, take the Metro and arrive at Union Station, to hop the train to the limited places that trains go in the US. But I agree, the principle connectivity at Union Station is geared for Washington/Philadelphia/NYC/Boston traffic.HOWEVER, I left Washington in 2002 so a lot may have happened in the last 17 years.

Images of Union Station in Washington, DC https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/union-station-washington-dc?sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=union%20station%20washington%20dc&license=rf,rm&page=1&recency=anydate&suppressfamilycorrection=true#license
I Forgot What My Complaint Was - Complaint Threada central wind tunnel for luggage
now i'm seeing the kerplunk game canister >.<
MemoriiV's Weird World (feedback Welcome)Once again, my personal perspective may differ from others, but the old portrait photography adage "Look at the camera. Smile" may work sometimes and certainly simplifies the photographer's work, but I don't believe that it necessarily produces the best, or at least, the most interesting portraits. So, no dogmatic rules. Using your first, closeup photograph as an example, would having the subject look directly at the camera be more effective? Perhaps. There is only one way to find out, then choose. I know that when renders take hours to complete, I am loath to redo them, especially if only to try something a little different that I may simply discard. But it is what it is, and that is why most professional photographers have long ago learned to bracket their shots and take lots of them. Just to produce that one "winner". I don't really have any issue with the subject in that render looking away from the camera, but I do think it could be more interesting with a few subtle changes. For example, give her just a little more expression. Perhaps a little bit of a frown in the brows by sqeezing them just enough to be noticeable. Don't overdue it. Then, part her slips slightly. Again don't overdue it, just enough. That will give her a slight look of puzzlement and surprise and make the viewer wonder what it is that she sees down there that has caught her interest.
Without resorting to redoing the render, here is something else that you might try, just for the sake of curiosity. Take your completed render and open it in Photoshop or whatever image editing software that you have, and change the mode from full colour to grayscale, then save that as a copy and compare the two. The difference might surprise you.
Once again, I agree with Linwelly. The mother's day render, although a portrait, works because the message is central to it. The softness of what then essentially becomes a background that compliments and complements the message without detracting from it. The excellent use of depth of field is also perfect. It is well done.
I spent the most time on the mother's day portrait to get the lighting just right.2 hours to set up and 2 hours to render
MemoriiV's Weird World (feedback Welcome)Once again, my personal perspective may differ from others, but the old portrait photography adage "Look at the camera. Smile" may work sometimes and certainly simplifies the photographer's work, but I don't believe that it necessarily produces the best, or at least, the most interesting portraits. So, no dogmatic rules. Using your first, closeup photograph as an example, would having the subject look directly at the camera be more effective? Perhaps. There is only one way to find out, then choose. I know that when renders take hours to complete, I am loath to redo them, especially if only to try something a little different that I may simply discard. But it is what it is, and that is why most professional photographers have long ago learned to bracket their shots and take lots of them. Just to produce that one "winner". I don't really have any issue with the subject in that render looking away from the camera, but I do think it could be more interesting with a few subtle changes. For example, give her just a little more expression. Perhaps a little bit of a frown in the brows by sqeezing them just enough to be noticeable. Don't overdue it. Then, part her slips slightly. Again don't overdue it, just enough. That will give her a slight look of puzzlement and surprise and make the viewer wonder what it is that she sees down there that has caught her interest.
Without resorting to redoing the render, here is something else that you might try, just for the sake of curiosity. Take your completed render and open it in Photoshop or whatever image editing software that you have, and change the mode from full colour to grayscale, then save that as a copy and compare the two. The difference might surprise you.
Once again, I agree with Linwelly. The mother's day render, although a portrait, works because the message is central to it. The softness of what then essentially becomes a background, compliments and complements the message without detracting from it. The excellent use of depth of field is also perfect. It is well done.
I'm Back! And I missed you!! Bluebird = BlackbeardForgive me for my uninvited constructive critism.I found your youtube channel refreshing and honest despite the multiple excuses/apologies. You can't let others expectations and their timelines demand content from you. If you are brave enough to try a similar channel on Youtube again, under promise and over deliver. Tell people you're busy and when you can share - you will. Don't let others dictate your schedule. Do what you want when you want and set those terms upfront. I found your persona on Bluebird/Youtube magnetic. Your personality shone thru as a strong asset. I think you overthought the process and may have felt overwhelmed by 'expectations'. I really think your personality and attitude would do really well on youtube if you did at your pace. Great content every now is far better than junk every week or god forbid every other day. Be brave. Tell people, "I'm busy, I can't commit to a set schedule but subscribe and you'll get a notification when I post". The Youtube world is far larger than Daz Stusio members and the world could be your oyster.
I'm back! I've been hard at work since January but it took time to get into the swing of things after taking a year off because... reasons.
I loved the reach outs and the messages asking if I was okay. Thank you so much!!
Where have I been?
I took my business apart, sold the assets that gave Bluebird equity and then rebuilt and rebranded as: Blackbeard Media.
Last year was a lot of fun in the outside sales world and living on commission was no different than being a full-time PA here. Having a boss for the first time in years was tricky. I'm not used to being told what to do or when to do it. Overall it was a worthwhile experience and provided the creative refresh I really needed. I met some awesome Central New York locals because of it.
No worries: I'm headed back to YouTube and Instagram. I shut Facebook and Twitter down (I'm way too political to not be a complete dick on those mediums) so if you want to connect, let's stick with the visual mediums. This is 3d Art, after all! I'll letcha know when the handles are ready for friending.
So what did I miss last year? What's your favorite render? Have you learned any new skills just for fun?
Edit: And by the way I did hire a PA who delivered and did not ignore me so I found that video to be a tad off.
I'm Back! And I missed you!! Bluebird = BlackbeardI'm back! I've been hard at work since January but it took time to get into the swing of things after taking a year off because... reasons.
I loved the reach outs and the messages asking if I was okay. Thank you so much!!
Where have I been?
I took my business apart, sold the assets that gave Bluebird equity and then rebuilt and rebranded as: Blackbeard Media.
Last year was a lot of fun in the outside sales world and living on commission was no different than being a full-time PA here. Having a boss for the first time in years was tricky. I'm not used to being told what to do or when to do it. Overall it was a worthwhile experience and provided the creative refresh I really needed. I met some awesome Central New York locals because of it.
No worries: I'm headed back to YouTube and Instagram. I shut Facebook and Twitter down (I'm way too political to not be a complete dick on those mediums) so if you want to connect, let's stick with the visual mediums. This is 3d Art, after all! I'll letcha know when the handles are ready for friending.
So what did I miss last year? What's your favorite render? Have you learned any new skills just for fun?
Matt Castle does some stuffUnfortunately, image quality is going to be a bit poor for a while, as I'm away from home and have thus gone from a modern (if fairly low-end) desktop GPU to a fairly old laptop that has to render on a mobile CPU and thus takes about twenty times longer to do anything, so it's really going to be limited to rough test renders.
Anyway, the various contemporary fantasy art above ties at least tangentially into my "Fracturing Veil" project, a "what if" story where the dawn of artificial intelligence inadvertently threatens the magical wards used to keep the normal and supernatural worlds separate and thus safe from the conflict that almost erupted half a millennium ago when Pope Innocent VIII fuelled the witch-hunts of the early modern period.
The central protagonist of the tale is Athena Lovelace, a prototype super-soldier AI - her accidental discovery of this hidden realm catalyses the whole story, as artificial intelligence and mythology collide and have to come to deal with each other.
However, a very major character in the tale is Molly Baldwin, the daughter of one of Athena's former squadmates, as the Baldwin family represents Athena's grounding back in the "normal" world... and also dangerously close to the fallout when some parts of the Veil start fighting dirty in response to the AI (who matches the Greek god of war in more than just name).
I've been struggling to create a model I like for Molly, but a recent acquisition of P3D Azra gave me a skin that felt like a good starting point, and after various mixing of shapes I finally have something that feels at least close to the character I have in mind.
I'm not sure I've got her exactly right yet (I'm pretty rubbish with judging age), but I'm trying to aim for roughly the middle of the ravages of puberty, about 13-15 years old. (I don't have to be too precise about that, just within a general ballpark where she is partially but not fully independent - old enough to be allowed out on her own, young enough to still be given rules).

I'm not sure if she's a little too slender, even for someone supposed to be in the "shooting up" stage of puberty, so I've also rendered second version that's subtly broader of build:

Thoughts and feedback very much appreciated, as this is one of these things that is completely decided by subtle proportional differences and is therefore so easy to get wrong.
has anyone started a carrara wiki we can all write to?Emailed the CC staff about the wiki idea...Thanks for that!

That is a great idea to have a Carrara Wiki page. However to me wiki pages seems pretty much the same thing as forum pages. Like we used to have on Carrara Cafe Legacy forum
http://carraracafe.com/forum-2/
If that would fit the goal, we could use the current Carrara Cafe forum to post material that I could then turn into Carrara Cafe pages so it would be easy to find the content. Carrara Cafe has search tools for topics and tags, Carrara Cafe started as a central place for everything related to Carrara and we hoped to become an easy to use knowledge base for Carrara users. I will also look into what kind of Wiki tools we could implement to Carrara Cafe.
Thanks Danas! You ROCK!!! I think that's (Carrara Cafe forum idea) a great idea! And it would make it much easier for you to get it in working order into the Cafe! Brilliant!
would be good to have it centralized.
i cry tears thinking of all that was lost when the forum migrated. screenshots were lost.
and tutorials vanich from you tube.
Me too. We had such a great resource that just disappeared. DT, Tim Payne, well... all of us... we lost a LOT of great material.
I second the carrara-cafe idea. severely under-utilized resource, and so nicely put together. (Carrarators too, sigh).
tnx JB-D2!
--ms
Too true, my friend! I don't get a whole lot of internet time these days, but I still try to frequent the Cafe when I can. I love that place!
So... with JetBird's idea, we'd need to write articles in the forum, correct?
has anyone started a carrara wiki we can all write to?Hello!
that is a great idea to have a Carrara Wiki page. However to me wiki pages seems pretty much the same thing as forum pages. Like we used to have on Carrara Cafe Legacy forum
http://carraracafe.com/forum-2/
If that would fit the goal, we could use the current Carrara Cafe forum to post material that I could then turn into Carrara Cafe pages so it would be easy to find the content. Carrara Cafe has search tools for topics and tags, Carrara Cafe started as a central place for everything related to Carrara and we hoped to become an easy to use knowledge base for Carrara users. I will also look into what kind of Wiki tools we could implement to Carrara Cafe.
Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2019 CLOSEDI haven't decided on a title for this image yet. It's in the galleries as simply "Family"…
I rendered this image very large, at 2K pixels high. I'm afraid the compression necessary to keep it under 2MB for the galleries would degrade the image too much, so I sized it down by 50% for here. You can visit the gallery page here and see the image larger, but if you've registered at PFDLives, you can see the original size image in The Big Picture Thread here. With all the detail in this image, it's really worth seeing full-size.
ETA: This render is 100% 3D. The sky is an HDRI; The set is the Mallard Pond, resource intensive but well worth the wait. (This question came up in The Big Picture Thread.)
WOW... L'Adair... that is the most beautiful landscape I've seen in ages :) I wanna go hiking there... lol. Thanks for sharing! Hugzzzzzzzzzz
Thank you, Llola. Hubby looked over my shoulder as it was rendering and said it looks like the Deschutes River. Because you can't see the ends of the pond, it does look like running water. The Deschutes is pretty big, so I'm thinking it reminded him of a specific spot, probably somewhere he went fishing regularly when he still lived in Central Oregon. (Some 50 or so years ago!)
I looked up Deschutes River in the Wiki... it does look like it! Hubby and I love to hike... specially quiet out of the way places like your artwork. I myself spend most of the time taking pictures of the flowers... fawna... etc... It is nice to get away.... All that is missing in your artwork is our A-frame camper.... LOL Thanks again for sharing.
Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2019 CLOSEDI haven't decided on a title for this image yet. It's in the galleries as simply "Family"…
I rendered this image very large, at 2K pixels high. I'm afraid the compression necessary to keep it under 2MB for the galleries would degrade the image too much, so I sized it down by 50% for here. You can visit the gallery page here and see the image larger, but if you've registered at PFDLives, you can see the original size image in The Big Picture Thread here. With all the detail in this image, it's really worth seeing full-size.
ETA: This render is 100% 3D. The sky is an HDRI; The set is the Mallard Pond, resource intensive but well worth the wait. (This question came up in The Big Picture Thread.)
WOW... L'Adair... that is the most beautiful landscape I've seen in ages :) I wanna go hiking there... lol. Thanks for sharing! Hugzzzzzzzzzz
Thank you, Llola. Hubby looked over my shoulder as it was rendering and said it looks like the Deschutes River. Because you can't see the ends of the pond, it does look like running water. The Deschutes is pretty big, so I'm thinking it reminded him of a specific spot, probably somewhere he went fishing regularly when he still lived in Central Oregon. (Some 50 or so years ago!)
I Forgot What My Complaint Was - Complaint ThreadI have a complaint. That is all.
Here's a cat.

What's up with the animals lately? Are they evoving? I've seen a lot of videos of cats, sometimes dogs, standing upright like humans. Maybe they're getting ready to take over after we mess up really bad.
Dana
Have you people not been listening to me for years?...
Geez, these are public service announcements.
Its the squirrels and the penguins that are behind it all... the cats (mostly the Cat Mafia) are just opportunists waiting for their moment. All those anthropomorphic cats you see on YouTube are the careless ones who blow their cover because they are mad or distracted by a bird.
The dogs are on mankind’s side... mostly through bad judgment and because they lack the dexterity to drive pickup trucks (Toyota nailed it in the 90s with that commercial)...
The squirrels and the penguins... that’s a story as old as time... well, as old as penguins and squirrels....
Both once ruled vast empires across the galaxy... Well, not this galaxy, another one that was really similar, except it smelled a lot more like fermented Kiwi & Banana Snapple that had been sitting open on the dashboard of a late 80s Buick LeSaber that was parked in the sun in southern New Jersey for way too long... if you know what I mean...
Actually, it was really a parallel universe, hence the fermented Kiwi & Banana Snapple smell, but anyway... the Squirrels ruled the left half of the galaxy and the penguins the right half... they argued bitterly over this... not so much who ruled what, it was more about which side was the left and which the right... because in space there is really no “up” or “down” and without an up or down, left and right become pretty meaningless, especially when both sides couldn’t even agree on “my right or your right?”... Technically, millennia before, the Penguinian scientists established that the galaxy was moving away from a central origin point due to a big explosion they dubbed “The Really Large Kaboom” and therefore had established an reference point which they decided could be used to figure out up, down, left, right or sideways (very important, but extremely arbitrary direction in old fashioned hyperspatial travel). But the Squirrelish empire refused to accept their findings because it was too close to the weekend for them to look at the data and by Monday they forgot what the Penguins were talking about.
I’m sure everyone reading this is either bored or not reading this anymore because this is starting to sound like a history lesson and apparently only me and handful of possums that live in my yard seem to enjoy listening to historical accounts... and I’m not sure if the possums are listening or just feigning death when I start talking history.
Well, assuming you are not laying on the floor pretending to be dead, I’ll wrap this up by saying the Squirrel and Penguin War lasted many thousands of years... Mostly because the Penguins were more interested in eating fish and the squirrels are very easily distracted.
Eventually the “hostilities” culminated with the rest of the species in the galaxy getting fed up and exiling the squirrels and penguins to the stupidest planet in the most obscure and ridiculous galaxy in the multiverse.
That, obviously is this one... and ever since then, the squirrels and the penguins have been planning their revenge, longing to return to their own universe to extract their very not completely thought through plan for revenge.
They’ve been guiding mankind through secret organizations run by greedy humans human willing to sell out mankind for control of the world’s peanut butter supplies... their goal is to get mankind to move off of earth, at which point they’ll seize control of humanity’s space fleets and head off back to their home universe... but that part you are probably aware of and if you are complaining about holes in the story, you realize you are arguing with the logic of squirrels and penguins.
I hope.
I’m not going to get into the part about the cats, who are basically almost evenly split into “Earth Cats” and “Space Cats” nor am I going to get into why the Space cats are split into “Good Space Cats” who are trying to help mankind and guide them towards an enlightened future, and the “Evil Space Cats” who are just pissy and evil and looking to rule the universe for themselves... Mostly because I’m kind of insulted that most of you are laying on the floor pretending to be a rotting corpse.
That’s very rude and frankly it hurts my feelings... besides, it’s dangerous... what if you got real comfortable and fell asleep and someone buried you?
Trust me, imitating possums isn’t a great idea.
Anyway... don’t worry about the anthropomorphic cats and dogs, it won’t really be a big problem for at least another twenty years... unless I messed up my calculations... or there are some sort of unprecedented and ridiculous turns in world politics.
Even though I’m really bad at math, I put fresh batteries in my calculator, so the figures would have to be accurate... probably.
I lost the viewport in render modeHi, my name is Denis and i'm new to Daz3D.
I created a few scenes and was able ti render them just fine, I could see the scene in the central pane (the viewport) and make the necessary adjustments, like adjusting zoom and frame size etc.
But now, I don't know how it happened. When i click on "render" the viewport disappears. I am lest with a blang grey area.
How do I get back the preview zone ?Thanks... It's probably something I did, but since I don't know what, I cannot undo it.
General GPU/testing discussion from benchmark threadSome notes/clarifications regarding Iray's various modes of rendering operation (at least as currently implemented in Daz Studio.)
Iray actually has TWO distinct types of operational modes governing it's behavior while rendering a scene:
- Render Mode (controlled by Render Settings > Editor > Render Mode or Draw Settings (DrawStyle: NVIDIA Iray) > Drawing > Draw Mode), and
- Scheduling Mode (determined automatically by Daz Studio based on whether Iray is currently being used to drive a final render or just a viewport window.)
Render Mode (either "Photoreal" or "Interactive") determines the underlying algorithms used during a render, and is what ulrimately determines the visual quality of a given render. Scheduling Mode (either "Batch" or "Interactive" - yes, both parameters confusingly have an "Interactive" mode option) determines how iteration workloads are split up across enabled render devices, and how quickly intermediate updates get sent back to the central framebuffer for providing active visual feedback.
Each of these modes are usable across their various possible combinations (4 in total.) ie - in order of least to most responsive:
- Batch scheduling, Photoreal rendering mode - active if Render Settings > Render Mode = "Photoreal" and Render Settings > Render is selected
- Batch scheduling, Interactive rendering mode - active if Render Settings > Render Mode = "Interactive" and Render Settings > Render is selected
- Interactive scheduling, Photoreal rendering mode - active if Render Mode="Photoreal" and Viewport = "NVIDIA Iray" with Draw Settings > Drawing > Draw Mode = "Photoreal"
- Interactive scheduling, Interactive rendering mode - active if Render Mode="Interactive" and Viewport = "NVIDIA Iray" with Draw Settings > Drawing > Draw Mode = "Interactive"
For the people (eg. bluejaunte) describing little to no visual change between "Photoreal" and "Interactive" rendering mode, the reason for this is because you are mistaking going from Iray via the Render button ("Photoreal" rendering mode, "Batch" scheduling) to Iray via an active viewport (still "Photoreal" rendering mode, but with "Interactive" scheduling) as switching to "Interactive" rendering mode. Unless you go and explicitly change Render Settings > Editor > Render Mode to "Interactive", you are technically not using Interactive rendering mode.
For positive confirmation of which scheduling mode you're in, look for one of the following lines in your log file:
1. Batch scheduling, Photoreal rendering mode
2019-04-20 14:22:31.110 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Using batch scheduling, caustic sampler disabled2. Batch scheduling, Interactive rendering mode
2019-04-20 17:23:51.932 Iray INFO - module:category(IRT:RENDER): 1.0 IRT rend info : Iray interactive running with 1 device:3. Interactive scheduling, Photoreal rendering mode
2019-04-20 13:05:00.290 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Using interactive scheduling, architectural sampler unavailable, caustic sampler disabled4. Interactive scheduling, Interactive rendering mode
2019-04-20 17:07:23.486 Iray INFO - module:category(IRT:RENDER): 1.0 IRT rend info : Iray interactive running with 1 device:3D Comic Book Tips And PicturesI am playing around with the darker style and I think I quite like it. I have tried the same image in pure black and white, colour and then colour converted to black and white. I like the colour converted to black and white best. Let me know what you think.
Mmm... how to put this... I think the dark style works well when you look at the fully enlarged images. But when you have a comic, you are usually dealing with smaller panels, a lot of the detail gets lost and what remains is not telling your image's story.
If you look at how the reader will later see the panel, it will probably be in a size like this:

When you look at what you can actually see at this size, the eyes are drawn to the light coloured spaces.

The largest light space is at the lower right corner, and while it points into the right direction (face), you have the much brighter and straight angled bed sheets section that distracts from the much smaller face. The face itself at this size is a dotted blob. I don't see that he's looking at ther clock or recognize actually that it's a face at all.
In the coloured version, the red time numbers works nicely, but my attention as a reader goes directly to the "Beep Beep". The face is a yellowish something without much detail.
Now, if you look at the same image in a screenshot taken from the original size, you can actually make out the details a lot better, but speaking in terms of "on page size", this panel would eat up a third of a page.

With the coloured version, it works better, because the greens don't drag as much attention to them as the white would do. I like the way the red of the numbers stands out, and his face gets more attention because it's lighter than the greens.

I'm no pro and just give this feedback based on my gut feeling/perception, so please take this feedback with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the feedback, this is really constructive.
I quite like the idea of a simple design where there are only blacks and whites, as a way to direct the readers attention to what you want. As you pointed out the largest area of white is what would be most obvious to the reader. I have to do a bit more work on this technique.
I have been experimenting with comic techniques since January this year and I have devised a few different techniques for creating different effects. I have gone with this style as it fits more with my story and the original design of my werewolf that is pretty much the central piece of the story.
I am finding it really interesting working just in black and white at the moment. I am using light to sculpt the objects, which hopefully creates some interesting aesthetic to the piece.
When I first started this journey into comic techniques I had a narrow vision about comic styles, however, after experimenting and coming on this forum I have gained extra appreciation for different forms and art styles for comic books. I now see the advantages of 3D art in comics and it's great that it lets each person express themselves creatively in their own way.
Thanks for all the feedback, I find it very useful.
Pete
Star Trek Builders Unite 8: THE REBOOT
Cool, I wasn't aware they filmed there, too.Chuckles.
You need to whisper in Ashley's ear about that.
I've been drooling at the shots and was in awe in the episode, but hot damn that's going to take awhile to model. I've given modeling Discovery-esque interiors for awhile now but that Bridge... hot damn.
Didn't they use reproductions of the buttons supplied from Phase II/New Voyages for that bridge too? There's a LOT to love in that bridge.
I believe the buttons came from Star Trek Set Tour people in Ticonderoga, NY. I live in upstate Central NY and went there a few years ago, they have done a great job recreating the Desilu set.Yup, same group. :)
Star Trek Builders Unite 8: THE REBOOTChuckles.
You need to whisper in Ashley's ear about that.
I've been drooling at the shots and was in awe in the episode, but hot damn that's going to take awhile to model. I've given modeling Discovery-esque interiors for awhile now but that Bridge... hot damn.
Didn't they use reproductions of the buttons supplied from Phase II/New Voyages for that bridge too? There's a LOT to love in that bridge.
I believe the buttons came from Star Trek Set Tour people in Ticonderoga, NY. I live in upstate Central NY and went there a few years ago, they have done a great job recreating the Desilu set.Yup, same group. :)
Star Trek Builders Unite 8: THE REBOOT
I believe the buttons came from Star Trek Set Tour people in Ticonderoga, NY. I live in upstate Central NY and went there a few years ago, they have done a great job recreating the Desilu set.Chuckles.
You need to whisper in Ashley's ear about that.
I've been drooling at the shots and was in awe in the episode, but hot damn that's going to take awhile to model. I've given modeling Discovery-esque interiors for awhile now but that Bridge... hot damn.
Didn't they use reproductions of the buttons supplied from Phase II/New Voyages for that bridge too? There's a LOT to love in that bridge.















