-
Report sales errors here. "There's Always Another Sale™"
To the best of our knowledge, it's all about the flash sales tonight.
So are all Flash sale going to be mainly while europe and a lot of the world is asleep?
One just recently started, and it's now 10 in the morning in central Europe. All the other flash sales are still there, too--even though they started as "6 hours only."
I didn't even bother trying as they say 6 hours and that last one was already there when I got up, I just presumed they had expired, it really would help if it was a bit clearer.
Report sales errors here. "There's Always Another Sale™"To the best of our knowledge, it's all about the flash sales tonight.
So are all Flash sale going to be mainly while europe and a lot of the world is asleep?
One just recently started, and it's now 10 in the morning in central Europe. All the other flash sales are still there, too--even though they started as "6 hours only."
Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12I was born and lived in downtown Chicago until I was almost 8 so we had plenty of professional & school teams there although I didn't pay any attention to any of that sports stuff although my dad would gather up a van full of neighborhood kids to go watch the White Sox play. I remember being in the Comiskey Park Stands and even then I remember the stadium poles supporting the upper decks getting in the way of my view of the field. It was always a night game and baseball fields lit up at night are surprising pretty, even to a 3 or 4 year old. As we were in downtown Chicago the Chicago Cubs were too far away in north Chicago while the old Comiskey Park was not that far. I don't even know where the new Comiskey Park is!
Couple years later and in Jacksonville, Florida and back then it had no professional sports teams and it was a very small city then although the Woodland Acres area was very nice it was more suburb than city really. I was very surprised when Jacksonville, Florida, Tampa Bay, and Orlando, Florida all wound up with pro sports franchises of one type or another. The only sports team I remember from Jacksonville was the Sandalwood Saints and the only one from Orlando was the Walker Vikings. My friends and I would walk and ride bikes for miles and miles on the road shoulders as traffic on the roads was not near as constant then as now in Jacksonville & Orlando (even here in the 11K town I live in). That's a huge change in miles drive per vehicle now as compared to back then.
Our weather in the Central Appalachians is cloudy, cool at 49F, and occasionally rainy but oddly enough that is weather I really like. In this area between 35F and 55F, with clouds and occasional light rain is what it will be from usually mid-October to mid-March with one or two Indian Summers and one or two Snow Storms thrown in for good measure.
By the way, the Marvelous Designer Holiday/Black Friday sale has already begun and runs until 31 Dec 2019. And the sales price price is a hefty $100 more than last year. I guess they feel confident that if you really want Marvelous Designer but can't justify $490 you'll still buy for $340 instead of $240. I'm not so sure because my PC I have now wasn't fast enough to do the MD tutorials. I'll have me new PC build by next year and will try the tutorial again and see if it's something I might buy.
are yoo a thread killer?...expensive though. Not quite as bad as the Bay Area yet, but getting there.
...and you have to be OK with rain and grey skies from October to May. No Hurricanes though and winters are for the most part milder with little ice or snow.
Great place if you like "good" coffee and locally craft brewed beer/ale/cider.
We also have one of the best transit systems in the nation.which is continually expanding and improving service.
The older central neighbourhoods are the best, Beaverton (on the other side of the West Hills) is more like LA just without the smog and all the freeways.
The incorrect definition of NVITWS challenge thread@ Divamakeup Thank you :)
So to understand this thread.....
Daznites are supposed to take the letters/acronym
NVITWS
and create a render that follows the letters' meaning as a theme.
This is a serious challenge.
Narcissistic Vicky in a teacup with spoon
The model Vicky- is always a central character.
https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-7-starter-bundle
https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-7-for-victoria-8
Yes, but we shouldn't exclude Victoria 5 and 6

Or Victoria 1, 2 and 3 ...
The incorrect definition of NVITWS challenge thread@ Divamakeup Thank you :)
So to understand this thread.....
Daznites are supposed to take the letters/acronym
NVITWS
and create a render that follows the letters' meaning as a theme.
This is a serious challenge.
Narcissistic Vicky in a teacup with spoon
The model Vicky- is always a central character.
https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-7-starter-bundle
https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-7-for-victoria-8
Yes, but we shouldn't exclude Victoria 5 and 6
The incorrect definition of NVITWS challenge threadWOW!!!! You are doing promos????? Super hint there.
That means you have something coming soon?!!!
Where's your commercial thread breaking the news? Another hint. lol
--------------------------
So to understand this thread.....
Daznites are supposed to take the letters/acronym
NVITWS
and create a render that follows the letters' meaning as a theme.
This is a serious challenge.
Narcissistic Vicky in a teacup with spoon
The model Vicky- is always a central character.
https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-7-starter-bundle
https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-7-for-victoria-8
The next Challenge is the 50th - any suggestions or requests about rules/theme? :)For me the postwork/no-powerwork debate always seems like gatekeeping.
It comes down to what you think the purpose of the challenge is.
For me postwork is fine because it's about having fun and showing off how Carrara can be a central part of the "art" making process. Restricting images to no-postwork makes it a more purely "technical" Carrara challenge: what do you know how to do in Carrara that your machine can handle in the time you have available?
Making something within artificial restrictions can inspire creativity, but it can also kill it because some people simply don't have the time to do endless rerenders making tweaks to shaders and poses and pokethrough when that can all be done in postwork in seconds or minutes.
A perfect example is the "foggy day" scenario - I know about six different ways to do that in Carrara and all of them slow my render times so much that most months I would not be able to use them because I don't have time. Or I can create a couple render passes from Carrara in no extra time at all and add that same fog effect in postwork in 10-15 minutes and do it much more precisely than I could reasonably do it in Carrara (Carrara is capable of it, but again, I don't have time for all the rerenders needed to tweak effects like that "in scene.").
I think that your way of looking at things is perfectly reasonable. For me, I don't see how it differentiates Carrara from any other software platform, if a lot of the final result is done in postwork. For that reason, in a Challenge I prefer doing everything in Carrara if possible, and showing its capabilities to the nth degree.. And yes, that sometimes means laboriously tweaking things that could be done in postwork much faster. If I was doing renders for something other than the Carrara Challenge - for example, a paying customer deadline - I wouldn't hesitate to do it quicker in postwork.
I find postwork in general to be awesome. For my witch render in the last Challenge, the postworked cigarette smoke really helped a bunch. There are solutions for cigarette smoke in Carrara, but nothing that looks so realistic.
As for fog, I've tried a lot of different fog effects in postwork, but the Carrara fog often looks more authentic and consistent. So, it is worth the extra trouble. Than again, you are probably more skilled at postwork than me. :)
The next Challenge is the 50th - any suggestions or requests about rules/theme? :)For me the postwork/no-powerwork debate always seems like gatekeeping.
It comes down to what you think the purpose of the challenge is.
For me postwork is fine because it's about having fun and showing off how Carrara can be a central part of the "art" making process. Restricting images to no-postwork makes it a more purely "technical" Carrara challenge: what do you know how to do in Carrara that your machine can handle in the time you have available?
Making something within artificial restrictions can inspire creativity, but it can also kill it because some people simply don't have the time to do endless rerenders making tweaks to shaders and poses and pokethrough when that can all be done in postwork in seconds or minutes.
A perfect example is the "foggy day" scenario - I know about six different ways to do that in Carrara and all of them slow my render times so much that most months I would not be able to use them because I don't have time. Or I can create a couple render passes from Carrara in no extra time at all and add that same fog effect in postwork in 10-15 minutes and do it much more precisely than I could reasonably do it in Carrara (Carrara is capable of it, but again, I don't have time for all the rerenders needed to tweak effects like that "in scene.").
Access problems to Daz 3D from EuropeCentral Europe here, and it was a bit slow a while ago, but not slower than it gets some other times. Now it seems to be okay.
*closed* RRRR - "Build it and they will come" Render Contest@Luci #3 With those high ceilings and central air the utility bills in those towers are going to be astronomical. Not that demons ever lack for the cash to exorcise their whims. Now we know how the other half lives.... Nice one!
My turn for system building.No VRM's do not inherently make noise at all.
Yeah, that's what I thought too until I built a zero fan noise open air system and plopped a Titan RTX into it. What I discovered is that these things generate audible (when you don't have a traditional case surrounding them to deflect primary reflections) levels of noise any time they are powered on. And I'm not talking about coil whine - at least not in the form it traditionally manifests (as, well, a noticeable whining sound coming from poorly constructed inductors whose frequency/volume is linked to workload intensity.) I'm talking about the fixed high frequency chirping (for lack of a better term) that these cards generate even at idle, that comes as a result of even a healthy SMPS-based VRM doing its job. This is a type/level of electronics noise that even the cheapest of closed cases easily masks, but that an open test bench/case design in a properly sound dampened room immediately makes clear.
If you're running audio capture system next to a computer you're always going to pick up sound.
Not with this particular case design/cooling combination. For all intents and purposes under low to moderate workloads specifically this system is sub-audible (both in terms of decibal level AND spectral frequency signature) at 18 inches. Watercooling and all.
Why you have studio level audio gear right next to a PC
This PC IS a piece of studio level audio gear. It serves as the central realtime sound engine for a room's worth of MIDI based acoustical instrument modeling controllers like this one (hence the need for proximity) while simultaneously serving as the recording hub for acoustical instruments/voices also being captured in that space in realtime. Hence the hyperfocus in design on mitigating baseline electronics noise.
The Thermaltake case has grommets from the back of the case, and the PSU, to the front. Those pass sound and air very well as well as allowing cable pass through.
Depending on how well you set it up internally and place it in your room (tempered glass windows at waist height, backside facing a wall) the Tower 900 has no direct paths for sound from internal components to travel into the room perpendicular to it (ie. the most common zone for microphone placement.) Which is actually all the sound isolation you need to effectively eliminate the electronics noises I'm talking about (again, this is only regarding the inherent levels of noise for low to moderate intensity workloads. Eg. rendering a scene in Iray is a whole different mattter.)
While I find the idea of canceling the noise of opne pump with another interesting in practice
I have no idea what you're talking about here. When I said "pumps set to harmonically unsympathetic RPMs" I was talking about whatever speed generates the least amount of sympathetic vibration noise audible from outside the case that also exhibits sufficient waterflow for effective cooling (which in this case happened to be a PWM dutycycle of 25%.) Not somehow magically canceling noise by tuning the pumps against each other.
It is also a very bad idea to build a WC system and set any fan curves to zero.
All fans/pump speeds in this machine are temperature controlled via multiple Corsair Commander Pros and are set to go to minimum/zero RPMs whenever possible. Which with this design is pretty much any time you aren't actively rendering something. That's how effective a system built around two 560mm radiator waterloops can be.
The loop will eventually saturate and with no airflow over the rad fins it will catastrophically over heat resulting, if you're lucky, in a shutdown.
For kicks, after completing the full build I decided to see what the worst case scenario for cooling would be while running an intensive GPU workload (in this case Furmark) in a poorly cooled room (ambient temp: 30c) over an extended period of time with cooling set to absolute minimum (fans: 0 RPM, pump: 1200 RPM - the lowest setting possible.) My Titan RTX reached a peak steadystate of 49c (19c above ambient) with zero system instability. Even with no directed airflow, a big enough radiator exposed to open air will dissipate enough heat to keep a component at a steadystae temperature via convection.
I have no idea what sound you're detecting but It isn't coming from the VRM's. That almost sounds like cap noise. A capacitor vibrates very slightly with each cycle. If the cycle frequency was inside the audible range I guess you'd hear it but. Since every VRM has a cap and they should be switching pretty fast I'm guessing that is the actual source of the sound but I've never actually heard it. But that shouldn't be a reason to WC a system but just have a closed case. I have open benches for testing system setups but they really aren't good for daily use.
As to passive airflow and your loops. I doubt you ever staurated the loop. A 560mm rad plus res plus your long tube runs means a lot of thermal mass. It would take a long time to satuarte the loops (and it would happen at different times for the two loops. The Titan would downclock as its heat increase and should only shutdown in a situation where the pump stops moving water at all. It's the CPU where this could be a problem and Furmark is a GPU power virus. It puts essentially no load on the CPU.
The actual cost and labor efficient way to solve your issue is simply longer cable runs to the PC. Not spending a couple of grand on WC and a show room case.
My turn for system building.No VRM's do not inherently make noise at all.
Yeah, that's what I thought too until I built a zero fan noise open air system and plopped a Titan RTX into it. What I discovered is that these things generate audible (when you don't have a traditional case surrounding them to deflect primary reflections) levels of noise any time they are powered on. And I'm not talking about coil whine - at least not in the form it traditionally manifests (as, well, a noticeable whining sound coming from poorly constructed inductors whose frequency/volume is linked to workload intensity.) I'm talking about the fixed high frequency chirping (for lack of a better term) that these cards generate even at idle, that comes as a result of even a healthy SMPS-based VRM doing its job. This is a type/level of electronics noise that even the cheapest of closed cases easily masks, but that an open test bench/case design in a properly sound dampened room immediately makes clear.
If you're running audio capture system next to a computer you're always going to pick up sound.
Not with this particular case design/cooling combination. For all intents and purposes under low to moderate workloads specifically this system is sub-audible (both in terms of decibal level AND spectral frequency signature) at 18 inches. Watercooling and all.
Why you have studio level audio gear right next to a PC
This PC IS a piece of studio level audio gear. It serves as the central realtime sound engine for a room's worth of MIDI based acoustical instrument modeling controllers like this one (hence the need for proximity) while simultaneously serving as the recording hub for acoustical instruments/voices also being captured in that space in realtime. Hence the hyperfocus in design on mitigating baseline electronics noise.
The Thermaltake case has grommets from the back of the case, and the PSU, to the front. Those pass sound and air very well as well as allowing cable pass through.
Depending on how well you set it up internally and place it in your room (tempered glass windows at waist height, backside facing a wall) the Tower 900 has no direct paths for sound from internal components to travel into the room perpendicular to it (ie. the most common zone for microphone placement.) Which is actually all the sound isolation you need to effectively eliminate the electronics noises I'm talking about (again, this is only regarding the inherent levels of noise for low to moderate intensity workloads. Eg. rendering a scene in Iray is a whole different mattter.)
While I find the idea of canceling the noise of opne pump with another interesting in practice
I have no idea what you're talking about here. When I said "pumps set to harmonically unsympathetic RPMs" I was talking about whatever speed generates the least amount of sympathetic vibration noise audible from outside the case that also exhibits sufficient waterflow for effective cooling (which in this case happened to be a PWM dutycycle of 25%.) Not somehow magically canceling noise by tuning the pumps against each other.
It is also a very bad idea to build a WC system and set any fan curves to zero.
All fans/pump speeds in this machine are temperature controlled via multiple Corsair Commander Pros and are set to go to minimum/zero RPMs whenever possible. Which with this design is pretty much any time you aren't actively rendering something. That's how effective a system built around two 560mm radiator waterloops can be.
The loop will eventually saturate and with no airflow over the rad fins it will catastrophically over heat resulting, if you're lucky, in a shutdown.
For kicks, after completing the full build I decided to see what the worst case scenario for cooling would be while running an intensive GPU workload (in this case Furmark) in a poorly cooled room (ambient temp: 30c) over an extended period of time with cooling set to absolute minimum (fans: 0 RPM, pump: 1200 RPM - the lowest setting possible.) My Titan RTX reached a peak steadystate of 49c (19c above ambient) with zero system instability. Even with no directed airflow, a big enough radiator exposed to open air will dissipate enough heat to keep a component at a steadystae temperature via convection.
The Doctor Appreciation thread
Now, a bit of Doctor Who production trivia. You remember the so called "wooden" control room, the one with the rather unassuming "writing podium" type console introduced just two stories before Sarah Jane Smith left. Well, having recently joined the TARDIS Builders' forum, I discovered a concept was, sadly, not used because of costs and time. What have all the various consoles possessed this one didn't? Right, some sort of central column. Not all have "bobbed"; not all were enclosed by glass; but all have "something" to imply the craft was traveling. All but the "Newberry" console.
Well, production memos reveal it would have had one. Now, admittedly a full on column would have overpowered the otherwise compact design, but that was not the plan. Instead, when the TARDIS was in "flight", an "iris" would open atop the podium and a transparent "dome' would emerge, one filled with "instruments" the Doctor would examine as the space/time machine traveled. Now, the exact look of this apparatus is unknown. we don't know if the dome was shallow, like a convex lens, a true hemisphere, or something more akin to a bell jar, like the ones that cover ornate brass clocks. Neither were the "instruments" described in detail. Fans have speculated they may have resembled some sort of Ptolemaic armillary, a collection of differently sized rings or gear wheels turning upon a common center. Alas, an arrangement like that would have made the assembly even more vulnerable to malfunction than the simply bobbing column it was meant to replace. So the idea was nixed, but not before a hole was made where the dome would have emerged. Certain shots of the podium reveal a thin disc that rests atop the podium, corresponding with the place where an iris mechanism would have been mounted.
It's a shame because I think the Newberry room might have been better liked (though it certainly does have its fans). Shoot, they could have compromised. the dome could have been "fixed", simply standing there, neither emerging or retracting. It need not have possessed moving parts. Instead, randomly flashing lights could have glittered within an unmoving collection of gearworks during the 'flight" scenes. When the TARDIS was at rest, the bulbs would not be illuminated. Certainly that kind of assembly would be less prone to failure.
Anyway, having read about this rejected feature inspired me to add it to Grinch's set. I found a Poser ready astrolabe model. I removed the stand and loaded two copies, shrinking one a bit and rotating it upon the vertical axis, centering it within the first. I added a flattened torus to serve as a framr for the "hole" and I used a capsule primitive for the glass dome housing. Admittedly, it's pretty much guesswork, but this is how the "Newberry" wooden console might have looked if the production went "all out" as originally planned.
Sincerely,
Bill
That looks great, Bill. Nice work! Really does add just a pinch of Gallifrey without breaking the theme of the room. And I've said it before, your Baker morph is fantastic, I know it's a combo of barious things but you put them together perfectly.
Settings and parameters for rendering 360° stereoscopic images in DS iRayHi, I think I'm using a similar setup to you - I have two cameras parented to a central one, with lens mode set to spherical and a relative stereo offset for each 'eye'. The main issue I find with this approach (as opposed to physically moving the cameras apart, which has the problem of stereo only being correct in one direction), is that you get extreme distortion to straight vertical lines when looking upwards (e.g. in a city scene, the edges of buildings look wobbly) -- I've not experimented with different IPD values though. The other problem I've run into is that, because you're rendering a 360 degree scene, you have to render each frame at a very high resolution in order to get an acceptable result, which makes animation expensive to do. In many respects, what I'd prefer is to be able to render a 180 scene, as for me that would offer a better a trade off between image quality and resolution, but I haven't found a way to do so with the lens distortion settings.
Curved Sci Fi corridorsThis set has curves
https://www.daz3d.com/circular-command-postIsn't that a different-enough-to-be-©-friendly version of the Discovery's habitat carousel from 2001? Very nice, I must have missed that when it came out.
I like that the central gap in the tiles is just a bit wider to allow the rail holding the camera to slip through. Brilliant enginering.
Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12I live less than 40 miles from the Central Time Zone / Eastern Time Zone line and it's is frustrating at times.
Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12Hmm, my sister just sent me an email. Taco Bell is giving away free tacos today from 2pm to 6pm in their Steal A Base World Series promotion. Not sure if that's just Florida, and if that's Central or Eastern Time (Florida has both. She is Jacksonville and I'm Pensacola, two different time zones. Drives me NUTS) So if you want a free taco you may want to check it out!
My phone will not charge complaint thread[sport]
...yeah, there has been little joy in "Cheeseville" for a while either. Brewers choked in the last series of the season against Colorado (who was going nowhere) while Chicago took two games out of three from St Louis leaving the door open for Milwaukee to take NL Central had the Brewers kept up the torrid pace they had all September. For the last couple seasons, the Packers have been abysmal in spite of having one of the best players in the league in Rodgers. The Badgers who had the best defence and running game last year were terrible, and apparently are taking a nosedive this season to fall into mediocrity.
Not a lot to cheer about here either unless the Packers continue playing like they have. However with a porous front line, no veteran deep threat targets for Rodgers to throw to (management let two walk in previous seasons), no pass rush, and a defence as soft as warm Wisconsin butter, every game is a reason to have a bottle of nitroglycerin pills on the desk.
[/sport]
Moonling HD by Oso3dHeh, I'm thinking a hooded robe with tentacles coming out of the hood and arms and open question as to whether there is a central body or if it's all tentacles inside...














