-
dforce help
ladywolf1 said:
crosswind said:
@Richard Haseltine
I'm sorry but I have to say again: this forum sometimes behaves oddly ! When I posted in the thread, I saw nothing but the OP only. I rarely repeat same things if folks already give good suggestions. So I always refreshed the page as well. Nothing but OP + mine.
If I saw your posts, I would've never chimed in at all. This sort of things happened many times ! Why couldn't I see your posts ?
Unrelated but the other day I posted something, got "bad gateway" error for some min when I refreshed my post was duplicated. Also I never have notifications of any kind, private messagers or answers :/
(thanks for always being so nice and helpful btw!)As always.. You're welcome !
dforce helpladywolf1 said:
crosswind said:
@Richard Haseltine
I'm sorry but I have to say again: this forum sometimes behaves oddly ! When I posted in the thread, I saw nothing but the OP only. I rarely repeat same things if folks already give good suggestions. So I always refreshed the page as well. Nothing but OP + mine.
If I saw your posts, I would've never chimed in at all. This sort of things happened many times ! Why couldn't I see your posts ?
Unrelated but the other day I posted something, got "bad gateway" error for some min when I refreshed my post was duplicated. Also I never have notifications of any kind, private messagers or answers :/
(thanks for always being so nice and helpful btw!)The bad gateway and duplicate posts are a regular thing that happens many times a day. However many times you click the post button it will post that number of posts creating the duplicates which we regularly remove.
dforce helpcrosswind said:
@Richard Haseltine
I'm sorry but I have to say again: this forum sometimes behaves oddly ! When I posted in the thread, I saw nothing but the OP only. I rarely repeat same things if folks already give good suggestions. So I always refreshed the page as well. Nothing but OP + mine.
If I saw your posts, I would've never chimed in at all. This sort of things happened many times ! Why couldn't I see your posts ?
Unrelated but the other day I posted something, got "bad gateway" error for some min when I refreshed my post was duplicated. Also I never have notifications of any kind, private messagers or answers :/
(thanks for always being so nice and helpful btw!)dforce help@Richard Haseltine
I'm sorry but I have to say again: this forum sometimes behaves oddly ! When I posted in the thread, I saw nothing but the OP only. I rarely repeat same things if folks already give good suggestions. So I always refreshed the page as well. Nothing but OP + mine.
If I saw your posts, I would've never chimed in at all. This sort of things happened many times ! Why couldn't I see your posts ?
Finding an item from the scene.crosswind said:
Richard Haseltine said:
crosswind said:
Richard Haseltine said:
I just tried in the general release on a test scene and got a report.
The report can only be generated in Script IDE, right ?
No, I just dragged the script file into the Viewport and got the report from the log.
The same on my side. Thanks! I thought there could be a "pop-up" report ~

There could be, it would just be a matter of stringifying the desired data and putting it in some kind of text box in a dialogue. I ddi that with an earlier version of the script (I don't think its output was JSON) but I think it would be a bit off for a Daz forum mod to tweak the script to compete with a PA product.
Coming soon: Mesh Grabber 4.0 [Commercial]If you click on Man Friday's forum name you can see that "Last Active" is stated as 29th August, so it seems he/she is logging into the forums, but for whatever reason is not choosing to update this thread.
ContentMgr findFile() from just file nameRichard Haseltine said:
findFile isn't a general search, it just sticks the relative path after each content directory path until it either finds its target or runs out of content directories to check. If you want to find a file that is in a non-standard location you are going to need to walk the directories yourself (and hope the one you find is the target and not a different file with the same name from a different product). I would use http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/object_index/dir_dz#a_1a4a1680ab91a5df2bf6e9993604c44f6b or one of its variants to write such a walker, but it would potentially be a very slow process.
Thank you very much for confirming that there are no existing functions to do so. Given your comments, maybe a better approach would be to give the user a chance to select a directory if a required user-facing DUF file is not dound in its default relative path.
In an effort to help future people who may have similar situations, check out doDirectoryDialog():
Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.
- Greg
New pictures in gallery - waiting time.Elor said:
Matt_Castle said:
Is stuff even put into a moderation queue? I thought it all went up immediately and was retroactively moderated if there was an issue. (Although I guess it might be the case that it's different for different users).
My first picture was put into the moderation queue but since then, the pictures are visible as soon as I hit publish.
Yes, as with the forum new posters get held in the queue but in theory after a while/a few posts they get a pass (unless they put themselves on the naughty step). I don't know what the requirements to leave pre-approval are for the galleries.
ContentMgr findFile() from just file namefindFile isn't a general search, it just sticks the relative path after each content directory path until it either finds its target or runs out of content directories to check. If you want to find a file that is in a non-standard location you are going to need to walk the directories yourself (and hope the one you find is the target and not a different file with the same name from a different product). I would use http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/object_index/dir_dz#a_1a4a1680ab91a5df2bf6e9993604c44f6b or one of its variants to write such a walker, but it would potentially be a very slow process.
Finding an item from the scene.Since you guys where really helpfull beforehand I got one more question that will surley be trivial to you all.
How to quickly find an item from the scene is when you search the smart content and content library by its name it won't return it in the resoults?
I though that mabey you could just right click on it in the scene tab and there will be an option to "Show asset in Content Library", but there is none.
I those cases, I usually check the surface tab and to check the texture file path and indentify the product that contains the asset in question that way, but I fell there has to be a simpler way.
Thanks in advance.
September 2024 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Depth of Field and CanvasesIntermediate Challenge - September 2023
"Canvases"
This is a general render challenge with the focus on rendering separate layers, or canvases, for compositing in an image editor, such as Photoshop or Gimp. Daz Studio supports Canvases natively via the Iray render engine, found in Render Settings > Advanced > Canvases. Creating separate layers in 3Delight is also possible with the use of premium vendor products.Iray Canvases are very powerful, allowing a lot of control over your final image. They can also be very confusing until you understand how to create a canvas and how to use the resulting image. Like any tool, the more experience you get with it, the more the necessary details will become second nature.
A quick Overview of Iray Canvases:
Using the tools provided in the Canvases settings, you can "tell" Daz Studio to create multiple layers of image information with a single render. There are options to specify Type, (beauty, diffuse, specular, depth, etc.,) and options to specify Nodes, (aka objects.) An option to use Alpha exists for most types and will create an alpha layer for the EXR file, which can be loaded as transparency or an alpha channel.
Once you've enabled Canvases, a new section will show in the Render Settings for Canvases, where you can select which canvas will be rendered to the render window. Tone Mapping is on by default and will be applied to the image in the Render Window. This give you a good reference image if your Beauty canvas is selected.
When the render completes and you save the image, Daz Studio will save a folder for the Canvases in the same folder as the saved image, with the same name and "_canvases" added. The canvases in that folder are all 32-bit color images in the EXR format. These EXR images will need to be processed to use. They are very much like a "camera raw" image from a Digital SLR camera.
The "magic" of using canvases is in how you process the various 32-bit files into layers and composite them to create a final image.
Information on Using Iray Canvases in Daz Studio:
It's important to remember Iray was introduced to DS over five years ago and some details about Canvases have changed during that time. Most of the information from older tutorials linked here will be accurate and worth the time to view. Occasionally, you may find something that is no longer the case. Feel free to let us know what those are. For that reason, the upload date of videos is included with the link. (Forum Member names are included, where known.)
Videos
- Daz Studio Canvases,(Part One: Daz Studio Setup), by DAZ_ann0314 Aug 2020 Length 47:41
- Daz Studio Canvases (Part Two: Photoshop), by DAZ_ann0314 Sept 2020 Length 52:58
- Daz Studio Canvases (Part Two: GIMP), by DAZ_ann0314 Sept 2020 Length 1:04:40
- Rendering multiple layers simultaneously, Mar 2020 Length 9:17
- Using Canvases to add "Depth mist", Mar 2020 Length 4:15
- Canvas System Tutorial Daz Studio Iray, by Sickleyield, Jun 2018 Length 12:45
- Daz Canvases, by Deathbycanon, Dec 2017 Length 14:27
Forum Threads
Adobe/Photoshop
3Delight Options
We normally do not include store products as options in these challenges. However, it only seems fair to mention these products as DS does not have a native canvas feature for 3Delight, so those working with 3Delight—who may well already own one or both of these products—can also enter the intermediate challenge.
Looking for a Genesis 3 Female Modelirmamandola117 Doing a search for some characters I have found this:
https://www.daz3d.com/summer-edition-liu (Genesis 1 Female)
https://www.daz3d.com/summer-character-and-hair (Genesis 1 Female)
https://www.daz3d.com/summer-girl-for-genesis-2-female-s (Genesis 2 Female)
https://www.daz3d.com/summer-for-victoria-7 (Genesis 3 Female)
I believe this one match what you are looking for. but you need the base character https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-7 Victoria 7 for this to work with.
Good luck
New Year, New Sales Thread: Report Issues Here "Reporting Only"columbine said:
Look, I don't know that this is a sales issue, but it is an item that's on sale today and I don't have a better place to gripe about it.
https://www.daz3d.com/instyle-dforce-x-fashion-series-2-for-g8-8-1-females
This is an ADD-ON. Furthermore, it's an add-on for a product which is NOT IN THE DAZ STORE.
Now, I recognize that makes it hard to list the base product on the "requirements" line since you don't want to link to a Renderosity item there, obvs. On the other hand, one could argue that the store shouldn't be selling add-ons where the base item isn't available in the store AT ALL.
Whatever. It is not NEARLY obvious enough. Yes, down in the detail text it tells you this is an add-on, but it needs to be a lot more obvious than that. A LOT more obvious than that.
It's not worth my trying to get a refund for it--I paid two dollars--but this is extremely annoying. And the punchline is that the base kit I need is currently $17.44 which is about ten bucks more than it's worth, and obviously if I'd realized I'd have to pay that I would never have bought the add-on in the first place. Now it's an utterly unusable purchase.
I think your gripe is valid. I've heard a few people be disgruntled about being caught in that trap. I think you should return it, even if it is only a couple dollars. Daz won't read your post in the forum. If people return things like this, that may encourage Daz to change the way they advertise these things (or not).
U-Boat in Heavy SeasIs it possible to add a video for discussion in this forum? If so what are the requirements size and format? I want to add a short video of the U-Boat below to see if this water effect can be done in DAZ Studio but animated! Video is from Youtube. Cheers
Website Navigation Update/Testing 2023NorthOf45 said:
The Orange Banner(s) have been hiding behind the blue navigation strip on the Forum pages, but are okay on the shop pages.
I haven't gotten one in a while...I though it was because I don't buy a lot. But, maybe this is the reason.
AI generated textures in productsThe return period is 30 days. I suppose, as with so many things, you would need to open a ticket to lodge your complaint. I don't think PAs are going to come to the forum to prove anything. That's not the way it usually works here. There was a case where hair by a PA here was found to come from ArtStation. Someone did start a thread to present what they had found and ask about it. Even then, mods took it to the next level and the situation was resolved behind the scenes.
Website Navigation Update/Testing 2023The Orange Banner(s) have been hiding behind the blue navigation strip on the Forum pages, but are okay on the shop pages.
Library Issues: This Is Definitely a Weird OneHi guys!
I realize I'm only stepping into the Forum these days when I have a problem. Believe it or don't, visiting was once a daily thing. I must find more time to interact with you guys. I always had a good time here! Hey, Richard!
But, right now, I have what may be the strangest glitch I've come across in Studio.
Pic A is my standard interface when I open Studio.
But, for reasons I can't fathom, I lose my library whenever I open one particular scene (Pic B). And it's only happening with THIS scene.
What's going on with the library?
Any counsel will be appreciated.
Take care.
kmw
Creating Assets for DAZJust youtube what you need to learn on blender as you go, and learn things that intrigue you. I.e., ignore the boring donut tutorials that people will tell you to do. (Why would you want to make a donut when there are hundreds of more interesting tutorials on youtube, udemy, artstation, etc?)
Of course it is complex software so you will never master it even after many years, and may not be most intuitive software either. But that's what tutorials are for. There is a video for almost every possible thing about Blender on youtube. Or go on the blender discord, forum, stackechange, etc., for bespoke assistance.
Marvelous Designer is fairly easy/intuitive if you want to make clothes. Substance Painter for texturing can be annoying because there are very particular unintuitive settings you need to become acquainted with, but that is just part of the learning process. Any software will be frustrating at first.New Year, New Sales Thread: Report Issues Here "Reporting Only"Elor said:
Cris Palomino said:
Edit: If the discount drops when you remove the second GT, you should screenshot and open a ticket. Hope it works for you like it did for me.
The GT discount is removed once I'm removing the second GT from my cart (I have a video of it and if it's useful, I can send it to the moderator mail adress, the forum doesn't accept mp4 file as attachment).
But the day is young and I rarely buy something this soon into a new day, so I'll wait and see if a fix happens.
Should be working now.













