Tutorials ... Tutorials ... ** New ** Making Pose Controls for Correction Morphs

Comments

• Thank you, your stuff is always nice.

You're welcome and thank you too :-)

With some matters coming together nicely, I am replanning the work for a .pdf tutorial and some goodies :-) Not likely this week but hopefully sometime this month.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 3,329
    edited September 2020

Here goes :-)

Texturing Aids for Making HD Textures

Zip includes the .pdf tutorial as well as the V4 texturing aid that I initially made using the Blender plugin, remapping it manually [yeah, that's fun] in Hexagon. It is the texturing aid from which I made the "pimples" displayed further back in this thread.

n.b. the release of this derivative mesh is being done WITH permission so it would be a good idea not to tick me off.

In the tutorial I go over some of the various steps a few times as apparently the working concept of this topic was very new to some. I think by the end of the tutorial everybody can see why such texturing aids are of value.

I did not cover how to make the excess border mesh in the tutorial. If one wants that, basically extract out a new border of mesh but do NOT remake the uvmap. On the uvmap, select that new line of mesh and pull it outwards away from the figure. Given the shape of the uvsets, this will have mesh outside of the borders so such is only going to hold colour. The included Face Texturing aid for V4 HAS such a border of mesh. Do NOT export that from Daz Studio as it will "fix" the uvset and it will not be usable then.

Texturing Aids for Making HD Textures Promo.png
    595 x 842 - 826K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • My goodness - I just found this wonderful set of tutorials from a link in the HeadShop 13 thread - Thank you so very much 

• arbee999 said:

My goodness - I just found this wonderful set of tutorials from a link in the HeadShop 13 thread - Thank you so very much 

You're quite welcome, enjoy :-)

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,050

_ and how about Aiko 5 _ would this aid with A5 ? Thanx ~

• ed3D said:

_ and how about Aiko 5 _ would this aid with A5 ? Thanx ~

Technically speaking, yes - should be able to help any figure to have more details for their texture maps. Just be sure to apply any alternate UVmaps to the figure before exporting out the .obj files.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,050
    edited September 2020

~ alrite then , thanx  _

Post edited by ed3D on
  • Very nice. Thank you very much.

edited September 2020

HU for those that might like a rigging project: Free atm Spuggles!

Do NOT load the Spuggles - it will likely crash D/S. But if you have the Tools utility, you can get the .obj file.

Import that into D/S, export out using Carrara settings WITH groups selected ... clear scene, in the Figure setup import in that .obj file. Groups are there!

Have fun rigging :-)

edited October 2020

Time for a new tutorial :-) 

Using Texture Atlas in Daz Studio. n.b. I'm not using the latest edition of D/S so the interface may appear to be slightly different.

Texture Atlas is easy to use. As it is used mainly [AFAIK] for game models it's not something I make much use of. It can also be useful though for background figures as one can have all their textures put on to one image sheet, and made smaller. Remember though, the smaller the image the less amount of detail it can provide.

It's rather hard to proof read one's own work so if there be a glaring mistake, typo, whatever, drop me a PM.

eta: Reminder - the Genesis 3 and 8 figures require having a collapsed uvset used on them before running Texture Atlas. Applying a 3Delight type shader will complete the transition back to the older type models which TA was first ever made to work with.

zip
    zip
    Using Texture Atlas.zip
    3M
    Using Texture Atlas promo.png
    532 x 702 - 229K
  • Came across a working link to obtain the utility for making ies profiles ... and it was hidden right here in the forums!!! So am posting it here so I can find it again ;-)   This is a download link, ies_gen3.exe.  It and other links related to ies profiles are in this thread: click here.

ies_gen3 appears to work just fine on W10 :-)

When making the prop [a plane, a sphere, etc.] to be the light, the secret to getting it to work is apparently to rotate the prop around. Cannot zero the prop size if a light is desired however can almost zero out the opacity, load another prop [i.e. the lamp prop] and then render out some neat light effects.

Images show the same light sphere with various rotations. The sphere is 1/2 way through the wall. The utility is very easy to use. Adjust the graph and save out the profile. It is run from the .exe file - no installation. So if one doesn't want it, just delete it.

001 click on graph have fun.png
    812 x 542 - 64K
    001 without.png
    1600 x 860 - 452K
    002 with.png
    1600 x 860 - 461K
    003.png
    1600 x 860 - 454K
    004.png
    1600 x 860 - 461K
    005 rotate prop around.png
    1600 x 860 - 440K
  • Thanks for these tutorials and links!  Very helpful.

• Thanks for these tutorials and links!  Very helpful.

You're most welcome, enjoy :-)

edited December 2020

All the best for the coming new year. {working on the premise it could hardly be worse ... I actually found a calendar for 2020 that nobody was using and it felt so good to tear that to pieces} ...

I do have some more tutorials planned. The first one I'm working on is for making basic pJCMs [partial joint control morphs] for clothing.

To work along with the tutorial, those interested can get ready some poses for the figure(s) they are wanting to make clothing for. Unless of course they have purchased that terrific looking pose set for the PAs: https://www.daz3d.com/pjcm-poses--for-clothing-creators-for-genesis-8

I have not yet purchased said set, I made my own ... possibly not all the right ones and/or that may or not actually be required. pJCMs are morphs that are made in the clothing items - so one will also require a clothing piece(s) to work with. Everybody has time to make something with sleeves [short and snug are okay] and legs [form fitting is okay]. The finished mesh does need to have a fair number of faces, esp. if one also would like to use dForce with their new clothing pieces. I am not covering anything to do with weight mapping.

In making the poses, have clothing on the figure. Move ONE bone on the figure - check the clothing item for a pJCM. Copy the name exactly. Select the figure and make the pose naming the pose that exact name. This will come in handy later.

One needs some poses.png
    1600 x 860 - 368K
  • Ok I think the holidays has taken my brain, I get what you're saying, but still drawing a blank. Argh brain does not want to work. Will you be doing another of your pdf and have images showing what  you're saying?

• Catherine3678ab said:

All the best for the coming new year. {working on the premise it could hardly be worse ... I actually found a calendar for 2020 that nobody was using and it felt so good to tear that to pieces} ...

I do have some more tutorials planned. The first one I'm working on is for making basic pJCMs [partial joint control morphs] for clothing.

To work along with the tutorial, those interested can get ready some poses for the figure(s) they are wanting to make clothing for. Unless of course they have purchased that terrific looking pose set for the PAs: https://www.daz3d.com/pjcm-poses--for-clothing-creators-for-genesis-8

I have not yet purchased said set, I made my own ... possibly not all the right ones and/or that may or not actually be required. pJCMs are morphs that are made in the clothing items - so one will also require a clothing piece(s) to work with. Everybody has time to make something with sleeves [short and snug are okay] and legs [form fitting is okay]. The finished mesh does need to have a fair number of faces, esp. if one also would like to use dForce with their new clothing pieces. I am not covering anything to do with weight mapping.

In making the poses, have clothing on the figure. Move ONE bone on the figure - check the clothing item for a pJCM. Copy the name exactly. Select the figure and make the pose naming the pose that exact name. This will come in handy later.

I am really looking forward to your pJCM tutorial as this is something that I want to learn how to do correctly.  Thank you for taking the time to make all of your wonderful and helpful tutorials and share them with us!

P.S. I too can't wait to rip up our 2020 calendar and move into a hopfully better 2021!

• Faeryl Womyn said:

Ok I think the holidays has taken my brain, I get what you're saying, but still drawing a blank. Argh brain does not want to work. Will you be doing another of your pdf and have images showing what  you're saying?

Yes :-) Working on the images for the .pdf tutorial. 

The introductory video tutorial for the PA pose set {on the product page} explains nicely information about pJCMs. I recommend those interested watch it. Apparently PAs are required to put all of those pJCMs into their products that cover those areas plus whatever else is necessary. Those that purchase his product are also getting a video tutorial so esp. for the PAs, take his word over mine on anything, I'm not a PA ;-) I just muddling through ;-)

• robertswww said:

... edited

I am really looking forward to your pJCM tutorial as this is something that I want to learn how to do correctly.  Thank you for taking the time to make all of your wonderful and helpful tutorials and share them with us!

P.S. I too can't wait to rip up our 2020 calendar and move into a hopfully better 2021!

If you know how to make smoothing morphs this should come easily enough. I find the trickier part is in the renaming of the morphs along the way so everything will save properly. Today went well so hopefully this will be ready to publish early in the new year.

Yeah, we hope for a better year ... I got this really weird feeling though when I looked at a date on next month's calendar.

edited December 2020

Got it! It worked! I'm happy :-)

Tutorial is WIP - editing images ;-)

How to make pJCMs promo.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • Hi Catherine, This looks like it will be great!

I have checked myself from posting 3 or 4 times because... What in the world is up with those shoulder joints? Shoulders don't work like that and they don't look like that, either. It's not your fault, but it occurs to me frequently that the rigging on these figures is divorced from deep understanding of how the muscles and bones of the body work together to produce movement. That's a rant. Sorry! Looking forward to your tutorial!

I hope the holiday season is treating you well. heart

edited December 2020

Torquinox said:

Hi Catherine, This looks like it will be great!

I have checked myself from posting 3 or 4 times because... What in the world is up with those shoulder joints? Shoulders don't work like that and they don't look like that, either. It's not your fault, but it occurs to me frequently that the rigging on these figures is divorced from deep understanding of how the muscles and bones of the body work together to produce movement. That's a rant. Sorry! Looking forward to your tutorial!

I hope the holiday season is treating you well. heart

I hope it meets everybody's expectations ... pasting the images into the .pdf today.

These particular poses are not meant for realistic posing of the figure. They are to trigger the corrective morphs which will generate pJCMs in the clothing. The morphs required to make the figure pose pretty decently as a figure - do not always bode well with the clothing "as is" hence the necessity to have some replacement pJCMs existing in the clothing.

The tutorial also touches on creating new uvmaps and making new uvsets ... plus a few other tips here and there.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 751
    edited December 2020

Catherine3678ab said:

I hope it meets everybody's expectations ... pasting the images into the .pdf today.

These particular poses are not meant for realistic posing of the figure. They are to trigger the corrective morphs which will generate pJCMs in the clothing. The morphs required to make the figure pose pretty decently as a figure - do not always bode well with the clothing "as is" hence the necessity to have some replacement pJCMs existing in the clothing.

The tutorial also touches on creating new uvmaps and making new uvsets ... plus a few other tips here and there.

When you put it that way, it makes sense and I learned something, too. :D I'm sure everybody will be thrilled. I'm excited about it. yes

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • Glue is drying, in the proof-reading basket ... atm 55 pages, gem is on page 47.

edited December 2020

Excellent! smiley

Post edited by Torquinox on
    edited January 2

I think the editing is done. Will take a final look at it tomorrow.

I am using Comic Life 3 to make these tutorials. Recommended by many including myself for those interested in putting out comic books. All kinds of templates and options. It does not make bookmarks.

Here's a teaser joke:

nice program.png
    1600 x 839 - 436K

laugh I see. I'm sure it's going to be excellent! Comic Life 3 looks useful. Until now, I'd never heard of it.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,450

Torquinox said:

laugh I see. I'm sure it's going to be excellent! Comic Life 3 looks useful. Until now, I'd never heard of it.

I'll second that recommendation - amazingly easy and fun tool to use for comics (obviously :) as well as more light-hearted how-to docs.

Priced nicely, regular updates and versions for PC, Mac, and Ipads.

Thanks in advance for your work on this one Catherine! I dread proofing my own documents.

best,

--ms

edited January 2

Picture a very soft focus mist with sparklies - hard to focus let alone read anything through - welcome to my day. So "as is" here it is ... hopefully not too many goofies in it. If there be something that seriously requires editing drop me a PM thank you.

Making pJCMs for Clothing

Making pJCMs promo.png
    475 x 677 - 241K

Woohoo! Thanks Catherine!

Torquinox said:

Woohoo! Thanks Catherine!

You're very welcome ;-) 

I am planning a follow-up tutorial for making full body shapes in clothing too.