Star Ships

handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 341
edited September 2018 in Hexagon Discussion

Turns out designing space faring vessels isn't as dificult as I had at first thought.

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

This is an early version of the Enterprise, NC-1701

This representation took all of about 45 minutes to create.

Post edited by handyman4545 on

Comments

• handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 341
    edited September 2018

Ok.
    So that wasn't challenging enough.
    Havining been at this now for a coople weeks I decided to attack this itch from a more detailed deck level approach.

This is the Bridge level of an Akyazi Class Star Ship.

The second deck was a little easier but shaping the coming of the bridge dome was challenging.
    I've learned more tools in Hex in the process.

What's missing in hex is a repeat key.
    1) In AutoCad, when you key in a line tool, draw the line, when you click the mouse it "validates" the line but what I like about AC is that if you click again, it starts a new line (the same tool you previously used) wt the point of the click.

2) I want to pull a curve from an existing edge that has no points on it. Can't figure out how to do that.
    What I want to do is grip an edge and pull it out to create a curve.

3) I also want to connect points I inserted on an edge, with a new perpendicular edge. How do you draw a new edge after iyou insert the points?

• mach25mach25 Posts: 187

good start

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 598
    edited September 2018
    What's missing in hex is a repeat key.

1) In AutoCad, when you key in a line tool, draw the line, when you click the mouse it "validates" the line but what I like about AC is that if you click again, it starts a new line (the same tool you previously used) wt the point of the click.

Start a new line, choose the Composite Curve property, start drawing. There you go.

2) I want to pull a curve from an existing edge that has no points on it. Can't figure out how to do that.
    What I want to do is grip an edge and pull it out to create a curve.

Insert Vertex or Line Tesselation

3) I also want to connect points I inserted on an edge, with a new perpendicular edge. How do you draw a new edge after iyou insert the points?

Question unclear.

Post edited by Ascania on
    edited September 2018

handyman4545 said:

Question unclear.

A) I used "Insert Points" to add 18 points to the left edge of a rectangle in order to weld to the points of a cylinder with 18 corresponding sections on the end of it.
    The rectangle is still a rectangle though. No edge lines running through it.
    Now I want to add another cylinder with 18 sections to the other end of the rectangle and I want "edge" lines to connect the two cylinders at either end.
    Being that I added another 18 points on the right side of the rectangle, can I somehow draw in "edges" (lines) to connect the two rectangle sides and cylinders?

I've used "Bridge" in some circumstances. That will add the new edges corresponding to the cylinder but it won't work here.

What is "Composit Curve"?
    I don't find that tool in my Hexagon tool pallet.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 598

handyman4545 said:

Question unclear.

A) I used "Insert Points" to add 18 points to the left edge of a rectangle in order to weld to the points of a cylinder with 18 corresponding sections on the end of it.
    The rectangle is still a rectangle though. No edge lines running through it.
    Now I want to add another cylinder with 18 sections to the other end of the rectangle and I want "edge" lines to connect the two cylinders at either end.
    Being that I added another 18 points on the right side of the rectangle, can I somehow draw in "edges" (lines) to connect the two rectangle sides and cylinders?

Or you just extrude from the lines.

I've used "Bridge" in some circumstances. That will add the new edges corresponding to the cylinder but it won't work here.

What is "Composit Curve"?
    I don't find that tool in my Hexagon tool pallet.

It's not a tool. I told you, start a NEW line (while the old one is still selected) and choose the Composite Curve property.

edited October 2018

I haven't logged on her in a while.
    Thought I'd drop in and display the latest in my Akyazi bridge design.

Pic #1 is the Hexagon product.

Pic #2 is the Daz rendering

Still working on the details but I'm whittling the job down.

This will be the USS Braga, NCC-1013

Once I get the hang of this I'm gonna do more of them in slightly different designs.
    More on the generation of her design here...

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/271156/star-trek-builders-unite-8-the-reboot#latest

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 843

Looking good. Nice efficient looking work area. And lots of space for people to be thrown out of their chairs whenever the ship is attacked.cheeky

Seat belts could have prevented so many injuries on ST:TNG.

• Well. I started this hobby Saturday, ‎August ‎11, ‎2018, ‏‎12:03:08 PM when I down loaded and installed Hexagon and Daz into computer and started learning about 3D modeling from scratch.
    I'm now 4 months  down the road of experience in Hexagon and here's my list of projects.

A Connex Box,
    The USS-Akitsu Bridge,
    A Simple Enterprise (Lego?),
    The USS-Akitsu model,
    The Hyatt, Peachtree Lounge,
    The USS-Arbiter model,
    A Genesis Device model.

Of them all I have had the most fun with the star ships and plan to continue developing them.
    I'm also planning to start building residential and commercial structures some time this new year too.

I hope you all are having the same success and enjoyment as I am.

Mike
    https://www.deviantart.com/handyman4545
    www.MCSpangler.com

Akitsu-1012-C.jpg
    1238 x 614 - 526K
    Akitsu-1012-D.jpg
    1200 x 604 - 502K
    Akitsu-1012-E.jpg
    1098 x 600 - 528K
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,055

I have enjoyed seeing your progress, Mike! You're learning very quickly and producing some really great looking models.

• Thank you.

I've been enjoying this imensly!

I have a small list of new projects now and I'm constantly amazed by the rest of you guys work.

I'm looking forward to making this a full time income source!

Merry Christmas to each and all!

Thank you.

I've been enjoying this imensly!

I have a small list of new projects now and I'm constantly amazed by the rest of you guys work.

I'm looking forward to making this a full time income source!

Merry Christmas to each and all!

merry christmas to all

this year has been a great year

• Peeps with some real world building experience tend to translate those skills effortlessly to 3D,  because to their visual spatial dexterity.

• Just finished a control console for the delivery device. Took about 8 hours I think. Getting faster at roughing out now but  still working on learning mapping and textures with this software. It was suggested that I rig the two control cylinders so I'm considering adding that.

The mapping in Hexagon still needs a great deal of work on he part of development and as such is still bitnfrustrating to use.

I have the USS Akitsu yet to upload for sale and still need to  the finalize the mapping on her hull. Then finish and Christen with a ships designation, the Arbiter I started and finally, start the Akula class ship. I'm working on new ideas on ramping up her engineering and appearance to better fall into the engineering of the cannon versions that come latter in the storyline.

Assuming they sell, I'll develope some additional versions that are in damaged condition and or under construction for s star base rendering. I'm hoping that people will buy the ships and put their own designations and storylines behind them. I'm rather attached to the 1012, Akitsu myself. Maybe I'll develope some "prints only" work.

I'm also starting a simple commercial garage rental complex with over sized bays and roll up doors. Just add mechanics or racing or dog food packaging models.

da_controlconsole_01_by_handyman4545-dcv779t.png
    750 x 750 - 307K
    da_controlconsole_03_by_handyman4545-dcv77cm.png
    750 x 750 - 589K
    da_controlconsole_07_by_handyman4545-dcv77f6.png
    750 x 750 - 630K
  • Very nice Handyman :)

edited December 2018

Thank you John.

Anybody doing ST poses for G8F & G8M ???

I need bridge and engeneering poses.

Thank you John.

Anybody doing ST poses for G8F & G8M ???

I need bridge and engeneering poses.

I have used Skycar sit pose for my cockpit project,comes with skycar ,also check out "sit on a box" poses if some of them are useful

• Regarding the control console and the cylinder extrusion.

I'm locking up on the "y" axis issue due to the cylinders being set at a 15 deg angle.
    Currently they retract and expand but the entire cylinder moves up and down the face of the console as it does that.
    Can't figure out where to find the controls for accomplishing the "rotate the Y axis to the angle of the cylinders" part.
    Anybody have any experience in this?

On the up side, I got the verticle sliders (2) and the T-handle to work but cylinders remain farked up.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 762
    I hope you all are having the same success and enjoyment as I am.

Not as much! sad

I made this yesterday while fiddling with one of IG's special effects textures. The texture on the sphere reminds me of the original view screens and "planet" scenes on Star Trek TOS, which I would have watched in black and white.

experimental-fx.jpg
    1757 x 1627 - 156K

Pretty cool Roman!

More to come. I can make you one with just the blue planet-like object for your view screen if you like.

With luck l am adding two computers (a mini "render farm", bwah-hahaha) to my setup. Currently re-installing my entire DAZ catalog on computer #2 at the same time as I am doing rendering on my main computer.

IDEA: I just finished reading Anthony Doerr's All The Light That We Cannot See (Wikipedia English link)... not really related except small scale wooden models of towns, especially the exteriors (but possibly interiors like on your ST "bridge") are a major theme in that book... sooooo, my idea is: include some Easter eggs somewhere like in a utility storage cabinet or a desk drawer here and there, aboard the ship. Example: a furry Tribble or a phaser handgun or a Commodore PET or a picture of Neil Armstrong at the bottom of a crew member's closet, in their quarters. DAZ users cannot find the eggs unless they use morph controls to open the closet drawer or the desk drawer. Not sure how to make specific objects invisible when a model is opened in the Scene pane. I have very little Poser experience. sad

P.S. There are supposedly some Easter eggs on the moon incl. some pin-up pictures and I think some artwork by Andy Warhol.

Wow.
    That's ambitious!
    Cool idea though.

edited January 10
    First part of my reboot/re-install went reasonably well... however I was a bit surprised to see "Hexagon 2.5" in the download list, in DIM. I wonder what happens when I select this file using DIM in Windows 7? Standard insertion into the list of programs, and a desktop shortcut is created and so on?
    Post edited by Roman_K2 on
    edited February 13

Jeezz...
    I've spent like 6 hours working on making this model into snap together parts.

One of the biggest challenges has been the single thickness surfaces that need to be doubled for production machining.

My engineering pod has an exhaust port on the rear that's hollow.

[IMG] 

[IMG] 
    To draw that was a snap but to build in that hollow feature I had to cut the pod in two pieces, then repair the cuts and then start adding in "thickness's" to the drawings, single thickness walls and then create a method to attach them back together short of glueing them.
    As shown the rear nozzle slips into the rear of the engineering pod.

The first frustration I've run into with Hex is that you can't simply "cut" a model and seperate the two sections without going through a lot of redundant vertices, points and polies.
    Then there was the thickness tool...
    Hexagon isn't happy with the use of the "thickness" tool after you have holed or grouped the parts. You have to weld anything you've done that to in order to gain back use of a lot of the surface tools and that means no going back.
    That's a frustrating issue and major design flaw on the part of the techs but hey... It's free so I'm not gonna complain anymore.

Then there was the snap together, peg and hole issue.
    [IMG] 

[IMG] 
    Again, unless you have welded everything you can't use the "fast Extrude" or "Boolean" feature and that's a drag as well.

Fortunately however, the verticy operation makes the model semi-transparent so you can see exactly where you need to make additional vertices for the pegs and holes in the parts from the inside of the model.

I'm now working on the warp drive pylons and embedding them into the top of the engineering pylons and the engineering pod.
    For that I have to work with the Boolean feature and then create some pegs.

After that I'll put the impulse crystal housing together and then the warp drives and deflector shields.

You can see more as it progresses at:
    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/creating-a-3d-model.298215/#post-12804290

• I finally finished piecing her up.

She now has 14 pieces that either snap or slip together and will come in 6", 12" and 16" lengths.
    There are more shots of her on my Dev-Art site.

I expect to have the first print in a week or so.
    I'll update the pics then.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 565

I really like that rough texture, almost looks like a sand casting... what is the 3D printing process used?

• That's a job and a half Handyman - Well done :)

Curious if you are using 3-D printing to "preview" your Hexagon work or other prototypes before going to injection molding, or...???  I have zero knowledge of this, having done just a tiny bit of molten aluminum say, and vacuum-forming styrene. Oh - and some RTV as well. Wonder if they still make that.

Anyway one of my greatest frustrations as a kid was when the holes and pins didn't line up, on various styrene models. How did some of those things ever make it past quality control, I'll never know!

I don't know if those "Polar Ice" reissues (that are made of resin apparently?) are good but I've been leery of them mainly because of the memory of small-run items that didn't quite fit together properly.

edited February 22

"What is the 3D printing process used?"

The process was a commercial outfit here in America using MJF Nylon with no surace polish or tumbling.

"That's a job and a half Handyman - Well done :)"

Thank you Wee.
    I greatly appreciate the compliment. It took about 10 hours total, I think, to adjust the drawing to a model ready state.

Roman:
    Interesting insight.

Below is the iRay version rendering.

Akitsu Model iray 24 (800x533).png
    800 x 533 - 296K