What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• Here is something that would improve workflow. I would like to see a app for posing daz charaters in our touch screen enabled android phones which would be directly linked live to our computers via either bluetooth or wifi so we can have an addition way to pose and control content in studio. I would also like the 3dconnection mouse to control not just the camera but have a tab that lets us chance what we are controling with the space mouse so it can be used to pose and move the charcter.

• I would like to be able to add "subfolders" to the scripts menu (similar to how poser's scripts thing works from the menu)

• Thank you, I will retry installing 4.9 without connecting it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I would like to be able to add "subfolders" to the scripts menu (similar to how poser's scripts thing works from the menu)

Window > Workspace > Customize

On the right side click the Menus tab, expand "Main Menu" and "Scripts", right-click under the Scripts menu and you can add subfolders.

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited October 2016

I would like a click and drag selection. When on node selection tool. If you're working on posing.. say.. a chain... It becomes cumbersome clicking on the chain over and over on each and every single node.... I know you can highlight and select in the scene tab. But that is slow going and breaks your concentration and often gets confusing which ones to grab... if its something with a lot of bones. Like chains, or Dragons Tails. The nodes drop down becomes huge. What would make life SOOO much easier is if when on Node tool. if you hit crtl + click and drag. It will select the nodes of the object when your curser crosses over it. It would make selecting Nodes on fingers, arms, legs, necks, rigged hair props. Chains. Animal Tails, Capes, a breeze... Just crtl+click and drag...

It's an unused hot-key at the moment and that would be a perfect addition to making workflows in posing much faster.

Post edited by Angel on
  • AngelAngel Posts: 1,204

Also it would be nice if we can see the Dome... Duh... Who made it so we can't see it?...

• JeremyD said:

Not sure the technical term for this, but a way to simplify all the geometry in your scene as your working. Just as a preview, not a final render. Lately I've been building more complicated scenery and it gets to a point when I pan or navigate, or move an object around, the whole scene lags. I do shut things off and that helps, but it'd be nice if you could simplify everything in one shot and then revert it back to normal.

I'm sure I've seen a setting for that that's actually been around awhile:  all of your geometry gets replaced with the soft gray Lost-Geometry placeholder cubes while you swing the camera around and reverts to normal OpenGL look when you're done.  Let me check.

Drat:  couldn't find it. sad

• Also it would be nice if we can see the Dome... Duh... Who made it so we can't see it?...

If you mean the Iray HDRI map, assuming Draw Dome is on it should show in nVidia Iray preview mode.

• I would like to be able to add "subfolders" to the scripts menu (similar to how poser's scripts thing works from the menu)

Window > Workspace > Customize

On the right side click the Menus tab, expand "Main Menu" and "Scripts", right-click under the Scripts menu and you can add subfolders.

That's great! Thanks for pointing that out. 

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265
    JeremyD said:

Not sure the technical term for this, but a way to simplify all the geometry in your scene as your working. Just as a preview, not a final render. Lately I've been building more complicated scenery and it gets to a point when I pan or navigate, or move an object around, the whole scene lags. I do shut things off and that helps, but it'd be nice if you could simplify everything in one shot and then revert it back to normal.

I'm sure I've seen a setting for that that's actually been around awhile:  all of your geometry gets replaced with the soft gray Lost-Geometry placeholder cubes while you swing the camera around and reverts to normal OpenGL look when you're done.  Let me check.

sounds like that could be handy. hopefully someone can chime in
    it'd be cool if there was an added option to specify how much to simplify the geometry as your panning 

• JeremyD said:
    JeremyD said:

it'd be cool if there was an added option to specify how much to simplify the geometry as your panning

Look at the Manipulation option in the Draw Settings pane.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    JeremyD said:
    JeremyD said:

Richard, I gotta ask: How do you keep all of this stuff in your head?
    I have trouble remembering how old I am, and you seem to remember all of these obscure little tidbits about Studio...
    I'm jealous!

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

this thread could be renamed to

what i wish for studio 5 but is already in

cause Richard knows all the tricks

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

..the REAL Make Art Button.

Ruphuss said:

Or just rename it "HEY, RICHAAAAAAARRRRRRD!" Memories of an old Abbot and Cosello routine...

It is kind of strange to see how many times someone has asked for a feature to be added to 5.0,
    only to have Richard come back with "It's already in Studio. Look here..."

A written manual would help. DAZ? You listening?

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I would like a click and drag selection.

It's called 'Marquee Selection' and it's in numerous apps, like Photoshop and 3d Max. I requested it a long time ago (it might have been in the days of DS2), but it was never implemented. It's a real pity because I would use it a lot. For example, when you have multiple props in one part of the scene, it would be easy to select them all by dragging. It's not so easy in the Scene tab, because you have to select them by name.

• Ruphuss said:

It's like the poll or survey Microsoft did years ago to find out the features that users wanted added in the next version of one of the software packages they sell. Apparently a lot of folks asked for stuff that was already in it.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Petercat said:

It is kind of strange to see how many times someone has asked for a feature to be added to 5.0,

It's something that would be worth paying for, especially if pdf and physical copy variants.

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265
    JeremyD said:
    JeremyD said:

ohh i gotta check this out, thanks

• nicstt said:
    Petercat said:

It's something that would be worth paying for, especially if pdf and physical copy variants.

Agreed! Although there's User Guides availible -- but they're for version 4.6 and a lot of work to look at an interface that is no longer being used in the current version of DS and mentally "translate" the old interface to the new. What's that term, oh yeah: "Long, hard slog."

I would gladly pay $10 for an "Artist Guide to Daz Studio" which would be indepth and have examples with tutorials on aspects of DS that go unused/unnoticed because of the dearth of info. It'll be like a digial Richard that could be acessed 24-7. :)

And there's lots of Print on Demand outfits that could sell physical copies (Lulu, Create Space, et.al.). I feel it is a matter of will on DAZ's part to do this. I realize that an undertaking like this can take a lot of time. I know that from my own experience writing a book on Manga Studio. There's a market for it and it would sell, I'm sure -- that's how the work-hours that went into it would balance out. And treat this manual like a software app, do periodic updates to match the updates in DS and either charge an Update fee or not.  This would create the impression that DAZ wants people to use DS well, instead of casual users who picked it up and got flummoxed with it's sparse online documentation. While Video Tutorials are good and all, when I need to find one specific bit of info, nothing beats a good User Guide. Poser has a few manuals and, tbh, I refer to them often and either get the answer I need or a direction I can go in to find them. With DS, I have to search the outdated UG (no index...) and then search the web and ignore any pages from DAZ's wiki, as it's probably Under Construction and useless. Then, I either just give up or ask a question on a forum somewhere. Maybe I'll get an answer in a day, a week or not. By that time, I've figured out a work-around and have moved on wondering why I'm using DS if it's features are so opaque... i.e. not readily understandable or revealed to the end user)

And this "Artist's Guide" (named so that there's no confusion between it and an User's Guide, btw) doesn't have to be one huge volume. It can be a set of books -- for example there could be one on Interface and creating scenes, one on the use of shaders (both Iray and 3DL), Rendering, etc. Charge a small price per volume and once there's a number of them, you got a Documentation Bundle. Heck, they could even be inticements to upgrade to a Plantinum Club membership. 

Making this series an example of working smarter and not harder, summaries of aspects of this series could be put into the Online Documentation so that pages that have been "under construction" for atleast the 3 years I've been struggling with learning DS could actually be "finished" and would burnish the quality and quanity of the online Docs.

Again, this is a matter of will on DAZ's part. If Poser could weather being handed off multiple times in its history and still have manuals & documentation that's almost 1,000 pages and updated for each new version, I think you guys can do it too. Especially when concidering the server headaches that happened over this past week while doing a pretty major sale DAZ didn't skip a beat. Just sayin'.

TL:DR version -- What I would like to see in DS 5 is for DAZ to get as serious about documentation as they are about Genesis 4 (or what ever the next generation of figures are going to be called). It's time to up your game, DAZ, either you're just hawking content and letting the customers fend for themselves or you're serious about your content and the software it's being used in.

• GiGi_7 said:

There are tools by dimension3d for repair files connections. In the case of poser like files there is a batch tool in R store, in the case of duf you only can fix one file at time and the tool is in daz store

I'll check into that...Thanks. :)

The Poser files are not really a problem, as I KNOW I can go into the CR2's, pp2's, etc. in a text editor,(if needed) mass-find the outdated/broken links, and mass-replace with the correct ones.

The Poser syntax is a bit more straightforward in spots than what is in the .DUF's...THOSE, I'm still studying/playing/adjusting with. (I've had some success there, but I've got to be careful...) :)

But I'm slowly learning...and bit by bit reducing the fear of it... :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

would like iray renders to finish up all the grains.

setting max seconds to 0 didnt work for me

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited October 2016
    MistyMist said:

That suggests it might be more of a scene lighting problem than a hitting-the-time-limit problem. Also, have you changed either of the other critical limit settings? Your renders could be stopping with grain still visible because they've hit the number of iterations or convergence % limits — any of the three will cause rendering to stop.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

Two seemingly simple things that I would like to see are more responsive cancellations (especially Iray), and better/faster clean-up. After rendering a scene (especially if it's a scene that taxes your system), I find myself doing the 3-finger salute to kill the thread(s) and re-launching studio to start work on a different scene because it's faster. Opening a new scene without saving should not be a long drawn out process.

- Greg

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited October 2016
    MistyMist said:

That suggests it might be more of a scene lighting problem than a hitting-the-time-limit problem. Also, have you changed either of the other critical limit settings? Your renders could be stopping with grain still visible because they've hit the number of iterations or convergence % limits — any of the three will cause rendering to stop.

...I usually set the maximum iterations to something ludicrous, like 15,000.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • nicstt said:
    Petercat said:

Agreed! Although there's User Guides availible -- but they're for version 4.6 and a lot of work to look at an interface that is no longer being used in the current version of DS and mentally "translate" the old interface to the new. What's that term, oh yeah: "Long, hard slog."

I would gladly pay $10 for an "Artist Guide to Daz Studio" which would be indepth and have examples with tutorials on aspects of DS that go unused/unnoticed because of the dearth of info. It'll be like a digial Richard that could be acessed 24-7. :)

And there's lots of Print on Demand outfits that could sell physical copies (Lulu, Create Space, et.al.). I feel it is a matter of will on DAZ's part to do this. I realize that an undertaking like this can take a lot of time. I know that from my own experience writing a book on Manga Studio. There's a market for it and it would sell, I'm sure -- that's how the work-hours that went into it would balance out. And treat this manual like a software app, do periodic updates to match the updates in DS and either charge an Update fee or not.  This would create the impression that DAZ wants people to use DS well, instead of casual users who picked it up and got flummoxed with it's sparse online documentation. While Video Tutorials are good and all, when I need to find one specific bit of info, nothing beats a good User Guide. Poser has a few manuals and, tbh, I refer to them often and either get the answer I need or a direction I can go in to find them. With DS, I have to search the outdated UG (no index...) and then search the web and ignore any pages from DAZ's wiki, as it's probably Under Construction and useless. Then, I either just give up or ask a question on a forum somewhere. Maybe I'll get an answer in a day, a week or not. By that time, I've figured out a work-around and have moved on wondering why I'm using DS if it's features are so opaque... i.e. not readily understandable or revealed to the end user)

And this "Artist's Guide" (named so that there's no confusion between it and an User's Guide, btw) doesn't have to be one huge volume. It can be a set of books -- for example there could be one on Interface and creating scenes, one on the use of shaders (both Iray and 3DL), Rendering, etc. Charge a small price per volume and once there's a number of them, you got a Documentation Bundle. Heck, they could even be inticements to upgrade to a Plantinum Club membership. 

Making this series an example of working smarter and not harder, summaries of aspects of this series could be put into the Online Documentation so that pages that have been "under construction" for atleast the 3 years I've been struggling with learning DS could actually be "finished" and would burnish the quality and quanity of the online Docs.

Again, this is a matter of will on DAZ's part. If Poser could weather being handed off multiple times in its history and still have manuals & documentation that's almost 1,000 pages and updated for each new version, I think you guys can do it too. Especially when concidering the server headaches that happened over this past week while doing a pretty major sale DAZ didn't skip a beat. Just sayin'.

TL:DR version -- What I would like to see in DS 5 is for DAZ to get as serious about documentation as they are about Genesis 4 (or what ever the next generation of figures are going to be called). It's time to up your game, DAZ, either you're just hawking content and letting the customers fend for themselves or you're serious about your content and the software it's being used in.

I want this too bro :D 

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

I've finally figured out a feature I really want in DS5 (or 4.whatever too) The ability to memorize surfaces on an object.

I love partial material presets but going through to save them is beyond painful when saving material presets there is the option to save only modified values, but since the point they're midified from can only be the base default white (as far as I can tell, If I'm wrong plese tell me, I would love to be wrong) its 90% useless.

Currently if, say I want to make a reset that just changes the topcoat settings for gen3 I have to select the topcoat settings for every material zone individually, it takes an age and invariably I miss something, and have to go through and do it again :(

Imagine this: you apply your base preset, you set that as the default, you then change the material settings you want. save as > material preset check modified only, and just the settings you changed get selected. Peace reigns on earth.

• I'd love to see a means of sending Iray project to render farms—something the non-functional Iray in the Cloud tab promises, but doesn't deliver on. 

• It would be great if the Content Library view did not reset when you click "Save" to save work in progress.   The resetting/closing all folders, removing all the drill downs, and resetting to the current selected folder is most annoying.  I end up having to write down every vendor/folder/item I am using because I can no longer find the items I was just previously looking at, searching for or using.  .