Comments

• LotharenLotharen Posts: 282
    edited October 2015

Heres the new figure Arabella 7.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Wednesday, time for a comic update!
    http://thefarshoals.webcomic.ws/comics/39

Featuring some rather spiffy hyperspeed/warp FX, if I do say so myself.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Wednesday, time for a comic update!
    http://thefarshoals.webcomic.ws/comics/39

Featuring some rather spiffy hyperspeed/warp FX, if I do say so myself.

That is pretty good,,Well done Will yes

btw,,I've started following your comic, I like it.

edited October 2015

Thanks! The pace has been a little sluggish as my art style went all over the place (I pretty much started it a month or two after picking up Daz for the first time), but things are a lot more focused now, and the pieces of the plot are starting to come together and heat up.

Also working on some themed wallpapers, if I can finish all my reinstalls. (F'in Win10 went kablooie and had to do a reinstall yesterday AND THEN Comcast decided to go out for a day... nngh)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

How did that go anyway? Did it reactivate for you? Or did you have to phone in to get it reactivated?

I thought I had my Windows 8.1 Pro machine set to not do the upgrade, but there was a "bug" that re-selected the 10 upgrade, so now I'm on 10 :( . MS said in a blog post that it was an "accident" that this happened.My fault really for not looking more carefully at the updates. So I was thinking of downloading a copy of the install media to do a reinstall.

In place upgrades never go well. Mine is having some issues with stalling. Last nite was the most recent.The UI became completely unresponsive and It then blue screened while I was doing a memory intensive render.

What happened was that I was trying to figure out why my machine kept slowing to a crawl, and identified an update that had failed to update for a month. I saw one site suggesting I do something with registry keys (which is always dangerous).

And whatever I did made it impossible to log into my machine. I was able to get to troubleshooting 'reset my computer and keep files,' so I crossed my fingers (because I still had a bunch of stuff not backed up, gulp)

Thank goodness it worked and I didn't lose anything, but it was a nailbiter. And now all the updates seem to be working properly and things are running smoothly. Also a lot of random cruft that had built up has been cleared out. (Honestly, it's an old truth that it's a good idea to do fresh installs from time to time anyway)

Arabella part 2 - wasn't happy with the lighting in that last one. It was too dark and I wasn't able to really capture the feel I was going for. This one is much brighter and I like the lighting much more.

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564
    edited October 2015

Trying a rainy render. I think the surfaces are ok, now I will try to create some decent rain puddles for the next one.

arthur-lluvia4.png
    835 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Rafmer on
  • RafmerRafmer Posts: 564
    kyoto kid said:

..OK though it's been a while here is a proof render of the final railway station scene with all the characters included (8 total). 

Still not sure about the platform lights, especially considering I have (re)learned a lot about lighting for Iray since I built the setting. Also, still can't seem to really get good bump/displacement detail on the track ballast.

Also have they changed the maximum file size limit for attachements?  I thought I was able to upload files larger than 2 MB before.  Even exported as a .jpg, this is 1.75MB in size.As a .png It is 2.45 MB

Great render! I really like all about it.

• pearbearpearbear Posts: 227
    edited October 2015

Loving the hair shaders that come packaged with the new OOT Side Tail. The way the sheen moves in reaction to the light is awesome.

On the down-side though, it didn't appear to have any noticable translucency glow when lit from behind, which is a bummer as glowy backlit/rimlight hair is a standard effect in portrait photography that I'd like to always be able to reproduce. I suspect that the current state of the Iray Uber shader doesn't allow for 2D geometry like this kind of hair to simultaneously have realistic translucency effects and look really good when lit from the front too. From what I've seen, it seems to be an either/or currently, like you can have a hair shader with nice glowy backlit translucency, or awesomely real sheen on the front, but not one that can do both. But if someone knows of an Iray hair shader that looks this good when lit from the front, and looks good when backlit, I'd love to know about it. Gonna have to experiment with it more when I get the chance.

Very happy with this product still .One of the most realistic and pretty DAZ hair sets around, in my opinion.

oot_black1.jpg
    480 x 600 - 101K
    oot_blonde1.jpg
    480 x 600 - 118K
    oot_brown1.jpg
    480 x 600 - 101K
    oot_brown2.jpg
    480 x 600 - 109K
    oot_red1.jpg
    480 x 600 - 94K
    Post edited by pearbear on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    pearbear said:

Loving the hair shaders that come packaged with the new OOT Side Tail. The way the sheen moves in reaction to the light is awesome.

On the down-side though, it didn't appear to have any noticable translucency glow when lit from behind, which is a bummer as glowy backlit/rimlight hair is a standard effect in portrait photography that I'd like to always be able to reproduce. I suspect that the current state of the Iray Uber shader doesn't allow for 2D geometry like this kind of hair to simultaneously have realistic translucency effects and look really good when lit from the front too. From what I've seen, it seems to be an either/or currently, like you can have a hair shader with nice glowy backlit translucency, or awesomely real sheen on the front, but not one that can do both. But if someone knows of an Iray hair shader that looks this good when lit from the front, and looks good when backlit, I'd love to know about it. Gonna have to experiment with it more when I get the chance.

Very happy with this product still .One of the most realistic and pretty DAZ hair sets around, in my opinion.

That looks really good. Like you said, very realistic. yes

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I was playing around with FWSA Hannah HD yesterday, Tuesday's PC+ release. I don't have a lot of clothes for G3F, so I auto-fit the Ciao Bella outfit for G2F, and had to perform breast reduction "surgery" so the clothes didn't look funny. I can see I'll be picking up Zevo's Fit Control bundle for Genesis 3, when it comes out. Anyway, I used the PD Iray Shader Kit 1 on the blouse, suede shaders from Leather and Fur Iray shaders on the jacket. (I modified the textures for the body of the jacket, so I could make it the same color as the trim on the blouse by changing the Base Color.)  In Photoshop, I used the best button to create new buttons to replace those distorted by the auto-fit. The pants and shoes use the default textures. The pose is one of the bonus full body poses from All Hands Poses for Genesis 3 Female(s). I modified the fingers, though, so they curved in slightly.

The only change I did to Hannah's default shaders was to tone down the lipstick gloss. I reduced the Glossy Reflectivity and increased the Glossy Roughness, setting both parameters to 0.50.

The hair is by OOT, Christina Hair. Like Pearbear said of OOT Side Tail, it looks very realistic.

As this was supposed to be a quick test to see how Hannah looked, I discarded two different sets I tried to use for a background. They were just taking too long to render. (No graphics card. sad) So I rendered it with a transparent background, then layered it over a photograph I took of my backyard a few years back. I chose this photograph because the shadows were similar. If I'd thought about it ahead of time, I could have chosen a photo, and then set the light source so the shadows were a closer match. But hey, it's just a test render.

Hannah In My Backyard

Hannah In My Backyard by L'Adair

A bunch of Iray wallpapers for my webcomic here: http://willbear.deviantart.com/gallery/56478718/The-Far-Shoals

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited October 2015

More experiments with Skydomes. This is a WIP as I haven't made up my mind where it is going yet smiley At the moment it is using 14GB of my 16GB of memory and things get a bit flaky but no crashes, yet.

Click on image for full size.

celtic-hall-snow-002.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 796K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    Fishtales said:

More experiments with Skydomes. This is a WIP as I haven't made up my mind where it is going yet smiley At the moment it is using 14GB of my 16GB of memory and things get a bit flaky but no crashes, yet.

Click on image for full size.

WOw, that really nice as-is to me. One day I will get there.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited October 2015

Cool another http://fav.me/d9e160i

Question how does one set up lighting with maps like star ship control panels tv's ect. If I apply the emissive shader it simply overrides the map itself.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Bobvan said:

Question how does one set up lighting with maps like star ship control panels tv's ect. If I apply the emissive shader it simply overrides the map itself.

Put the diffuse map in the emissive channel.

edited October 2015
    Bobvan said:

Where in the color or profile?

Untitled.jpg
    181 x 330 - 43K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Bobvan said:
    Bobvan said:

Where in the color or profile?

Emission Color

Ok thank you another http://fav.me/d9e15xq

• I'm still very new to Daz, but here are a couple quick experiments I've done....

BVM_face_test_3.jpg
    987 x 922 - 286K
    Seraphic Angel.jpg
    849 x 922 - 307K
  • genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Kyoto Kid (and tomtom.w)  - i too wanted that retro 60s blue-green tint band on a particular car's windshield and that Iray "decal" tool in Daz Studio worked great for this purpose!  I just made a rectangular gradient with subtle dark to lighter blue-green, with a nice feather along bottom edge to transparency in photoshop,  added an iray decal to the windshield (which had just regular iray glass material) and then scaled and adjusted decal [opacity etc] to suit.  It does not show dramatically in this image (cut out of a larger render that has nudity) but it can be seen, and looks pretty correct for the lighting conditions, In a daylight or brighter-lit scene the tint band looks more noticeable of course, as it should. Iray decals are potentially powerful tools for adding or covering details on objects, so I was excited by the result from my first experiment with using them. :)        This is a cutout from a larger render where I was trying out the HDRI, and it is just the raw render, not postworked.

In case people want to know (I often am curious about hair, clothes, props used when I see other people's renders) the car is a 1961 Lincoln Continental 4 door convertible, by Nationale7 at Renderosity; I "re-upholstered" car with new leather and carpeting, new paint job, chrome and glass for Iray. The chrome wire wheels-- I used a plasma pixel-cutter (aka Hexagon :) to cut one rim off the "Limo Prince" PC+ model by petipet from Daz, and then imported to DS, scaled, rotated etc to fit to car, then used instancing to make the other 3 and then moved them to position etc. I make invisible the original rim & wheelcovers rather than remove since that's easier for me, and lets me swap rims on the fly as wanted.  The tires don't show well in this moonlit evening/night scene, but they have custom-made texture I made to ape those high-end land-yacht whitewalls that have a whitewall strip and then a narrower gold-colored stripe around that. The HDR environment is from Dumor3d's Apocalyptic Plant Outdoor set 1 here at Daz-- I pretty much bought that set precisely because it had a evening or night-ish scene-- there just aren't that many nighttime HDRI sets, and some I have seen look to have been made from daytime pics which have been edited into nightime versions with varying levels of success.  I suspect this HDRI of being made that way as well, but the cloud cover seems to help it work as a moonlighty glow, and I like the mood it brings, so I'm okay with that. But I wish there were more nighttime HDRI sets with real night skies, moons with actual details (as opposed to "burned out" white discs, and real stars and especially,  clouds that weren't unnaturally blindingly bright and white. 

kyoto kid said:

...cool. One thin I'd like to figure out is how to get that green tinted band on an upper windscreen that was used in the 50s and 60s.

cropped section of Lincoln dblFullMoon.jpg
    825 x 765 - 57K
    edited October 2015

Weeks of work

Evilded, he's got beautiful, supple-looking  tanned skin and even that outdoorsy ripe red-tanned tone to his lips done perfectly! Nice, natural and subtle visible veins too... this is really striking.  oh, yeah, also HOT. :)

Any secrets to share about how you got such fab results?   

Post edited by genaris on

Timbales - nice "selfie" :)    The body hair looks great, more subtle and natural looking than I'd expected.  Love the opposing diagonals of the horizon and his body-head lines and tight framing here.

BTW, what hair and glasses is he wearing?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

...can the same be done in GIMP? I don;t have, nor can afford Photoshiop.

So I finally got some more money to spend like a drunken sailor.

I got the anniversary stuff, of course, and also picked up Unshaven 2 (FINALLY). I have a hair overlay I like to use, but it combines nicely with Unshaven shaders. (My hair overlay replaces bump and displacement channels to create a good sense of individual hairs.)

The scifi hangar thing that came with one of the crazy deals/bundles/whatever is very nice and easy to convert to Iray -- except that the included lighting for it is pretty much useless in Iray. If I do more with it, I'll have to go in and add lights specifically. I did a half-decent fake out by just making the pipes glow. Eh. Good enough.

The outfit is Wilmap's winter coat. The fit wasn't playing nice with the fasteners so I just removed them, rather than spend a lot of time trying to get the fit to play nice.

I wish the beard had some sort of morph to allow long beards to bend so I could get it around clothing or when the head is bent like that, I had to shorten the beard a bit. Setting the beard to collide with the coat was just... terrible/ugly.

As usual, I used my semi-comicbook post process.

October stuff testP.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M

Also bought the cat pack. ;)

OMFG CATS.jpg
    2000 x 1236 - 2M
    edited October 2015

And another, punk Catrina... Catrina makeup, punk hairstyle, some older stuff. She's also wearing a somewhat see-through top, so it's NSFW: http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Punk-CatrinaD-568082960

Also the Face Scar Decals for G2M, which, happily, work just fine on G2F.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861

A character I morphed yesterday called Anna.

hello.png
    950 x 587 - 728K
This discussion has been closed.