NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Want you to see some great renders. Here's one from Sorel.  

And Scott as Bond in that tux.  by mal3Imagery.   Those renders are in the men's clothing thread. It's an interesting one to surf.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    edited September 2015

OK, I will give this a try. You'll have to tell me if I get some of the instructions wrong.

200 Plus - Head & Face Morphs for Genesis 3 Female(s)

I lke this product because it has so much variety in morphs and also has several easy one-click head presets. It is made by Dogz, so you know it is top notch. There were initially some problems with a few of the morphs causing distortion of the character's teeth. Dogz fixed that as soon as I reported it, and it was updated in the DIM.

Note that this product is only morphs, it does not come with character skins or texture files of any kind. I just used textures from characters I already owned. All of these renders are done with Iray.

1. The character in the red and white dress uses the Diane head morph and Eva skin.
    2. The character with the peacock hair uses the Olga head morph and Victoria 7 skin.
    3. The character with the blue shirt and dark jacket uses the Sabina head morph and Bethany 7 skin.
    4. The character with long dark hair and necklace uses the Shu head morph and Eva 7 skin.
    5. The dark skinned woman in the green jacket uses my own mix of the individual head and Face morphs and Bethany skin which has been modified with surface changes and LIE to add some spots. I probably used some of the DAZ head morphs, too.

DianeOlgaSabinaShuMix of Individual Morphs

200 Plus Diane Eva 7 Skin Sarcastic Suspicious Britt hair UHT.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 1M
    200 Plus Olga V7 Skin Udane hair UHT.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 968K
    200 Plus Sabina Bethany 7 Skin Sarcastic Suspicious Paisley hair UHT.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 1M
    200 Plus Shu Eva 7 Skin Choko hair UHT.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 1M
    200 Plus mix Bethany skin dark LIE Omri hair.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on

Rayn's legs are really dark IMO- that must be some difference in lighting?  Wish there was a Gen2/Gen3 bundle. It's nice to have both Generations as some people use 2, others use 3.  The Latitude and Longitude product looks interesting.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I thought that too, but then I think, she's wearing dark stockings under those shorts isn't she? 

Novica said:

Rayn's legs are really dark IMO- that must be some difference in lighting?  Wish there was a Gen2/Gen3 bundle. It's nice to have both Generations as some people use 2, others use 3.  The Latitude and Longitude product looks interesting.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited September 2015

Ryan is wearing leggings as is listed in the clothing pack.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
    edited September 2015

barbult said:

I don't know why, but she reminded me vaguely of Valerie Bertinelli. Her nose is wider/flatter and her lips are bigger though. Those morphs look like a lot of fun. Glad Dogz got the problem fixed- that was indeed fast! These look very good. I don't know which would be my favorite, but I can imagine how much fun it is to putz around with them (particularly since their teeth are fixed!)  Thanks for sharing, love the combinations.

valerieBertinelli.jpg
    200 x 240 - 14K
    Post edited by Novica on

Okay, I got the Because I Said So! Contest thread up. Folks will have a chance to get a head start, as the contest starts officially on the 1st of October. First place is $20, second is $10, and third is $5. Didn't hear from any PAs, many may not know about it, so not faulting the lack of participation. They're trying to make money, not spend it. I've made it worthwhile without their support so hope everyone has fun. I'll get the entry thread up by the 1st, use the other thread for questions, works in progress, chit chat, etc. 

Don't forget to use your PC/PC+ codes as it's near the end of the month!!!!

edited September 2015

This is Illicites for Genesis 3 Female(s) and she has a very good render time IMO. She's wearing One Piece Bathing Suit which is a steal of a deal. Look at all the materials you get- that could have been a different product but it's all in one! It gives you a nice variety and is very classy. Note the second thumbnail in the product page- the booty is COVERED and not a tiny piece of material. She's wearing Christina Hair, which I've already mentioned. 

I like her figure- she's not a skinny model, she is solid but curvy.

Edit: Pose was from Capsces Fun and Flirty Victoria 7

IllicitesOnePieceSwimsuitIRAY2.jpg
    443 x 579 - 192K
    IllicitesOnePieceSwimsuitIRAY.jpg
    465 x 998 - 268K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2015

This is Illicites for Genesis 3 Female(s) again, using Dramatic Iray Lights (out of the box) 

IllicitesOnePieceSwimsuitIRAY3.jpg
    765 x 1000 - 555K
    Post edited by Novica on

Off Topic but thought you might like to know: If you use iOS 9

(NEWSER) – If you're using iOS 9 and your data rates are reaching new highs, watch out for an otherwise-useful feature called "Wi-Fi Assist." It automatically allows your phone to download data via your cellular plan when Wi-Fi coverage isn't great, ZDNet explains, which is fine—but can lead to high bills if, say, your office Wi-Fi is poor. You can turn it off at Settings > Cellular (called Mobile Data in certain areas) by scrolling to the bottom of the page for the toggle.

(People are seeing huge leaps in their usage!) 

• Ugh. I use my cell in a basement. Thanks for the tip on that. I'll check my wifi settings. How do you like the dramatic Iray lights?

I've found it's one of the sets which don't really require additional lights for the render to look good. It's good out of the box and beginning Iray users would really benefit from it. A good place to start!

edited October 2015

FirstBastion has generously offered to co-sponsor this first Because I Said So! contest with an awesome offer! 

First place winner will receive TWO products  from his store!     Second place also wins a product from his store.  And yes, third place also wins a product from his store!  (Bundles excluded on all of these)

Although I had mentioned rendering the vendor to win vendor's prizes, that is not a requirement. It will be a straight 1,2,3 place winner reward! Thank you so much FirstBastion!  (I have 46 out of 69 of his products btw. Great stuff!) 

Other vendors who would also like to co-sponsor, that would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me.

Edit: I'm using this post to store my contest banners.

!!!!!!contestPleaseVote2 Arial540x60.png
    540 x 60 - 70K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

Wow, that is very generous of FirstBastion. But he seems a standup guy. I had to check.... I own 53 FirstBastion products. I think I own nearly his whole store. =-)

edited October 2015

Oops, actually 47 as the Spacious Interior Bundle was listed as one I didn't own, but I have everything in that bundle. But you still have me beat. In the Spacious Interior Bundle, I like the Gallerie Bastion Spacious Interior because it has basement stairs, the main area, and a more upscale "administration hallway." I thought the main area could be used for an eatery at a mall, it has that feel, in addition to a gallery. Would make a nice museum, and I remember someone else had curio cabinets and display cases. I'm going to go check that out and post it back here in a minute.

Cases for Curiosities  by Khory

Everyday Display Cases  by Maclean

LOL, I can think of a lot of different renders for a museum setting or mall setting for that statement in the contest, "You SERIOUSLY thought that was a good idea?" (Think kids and parents at the mall or at an art gallery or museum. So many possibilities!)  And here's FirstBastion's Suburban Shopping Mall, you can use the real thing!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2015

Well, it's time for the site to change over- is the sale done? We'll see. Been a wonderful month, I was fortunate to be in the 64% discount group so I got a lot of neat things. Coming up- you'll see Natasha, Sasha, and Dara. I am rendering Sasha right now- really, really like her. She looks like a typical person, not a model, but attractive. 

With Dara, my rendered eyes have the deer-in-the-headlights look, which is probably the pose. I can't remember what I did (sorry, I staged all three gals this morning.) I'll do the links in a little while, but here's Dara and Sasha will be done in about half an hour.

First is Dara with Sela Hair (Genesis 3) . All of these use Abagail Outfit (Genesis 3) and the Textures.

This is Sasha For Victoria 7 with Paisley Hair (Genesis 3)  (same outfit, different textures.) 

And this is FWSA Natasha (HD, Victoria 7) with Dove Hair. (Genesis 3)  

DaraIRAYbeachPod2.jpg
    833 x 1000 - 567K
    SashaIrayBeachPod2.jpg
    583 x 700 - 293K
    NatashaIRAYbeachPod2.jpg
    583 x 700 - 310K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2015

For the PC sale, I'm going to have a bit of fun with a daily segment called DYK?  (Did Ya Know?)  I'm starting today, even though it's a continuation of the PA sale. Anyone can post a DYK regarding the featured products for that day and the catalogs. Please include the link with the Target as New Window _blank selected so they don't leave this thread.  I'm at a bit of a disadvantage as so many products won't show up for me unless I remember to uncheck the "Hide What I Own" and I own a lot. It messes up too- if I click on a product then go back, it often unchecks the Hide, or keeps it unchecked but hides the items. So if you see a cool product, give it a shout and simply put DYK as the title. Here we go! I'll add my list here throughout the day as I explore.

Also point out products you simply like!

DYK  October 2nd  These are all discounted!

Fairy Tree  has wonderful FairyTale / Mystical books with color illustrations, and a magnifying glass! (and more) 

Dark Cemetery   Don't overlook this one if you have other cemeteries- there's 32 props including carved pumpkins, skulls with candles, potions (Fairy Dust, Vampire Blood, Witch Hazel) witch broom, book with illustrations/spells,  cauldron. So more Halloween oriented than a plain ole' cemetery!  

Toon MoonWalker has a funky Moon Scooter. 

The Little Twins can be as low as $10.78 (and their bedroom  for $8.98.) Keep an eye out for the other vendors who have related Little Twins products. (Some were in the past month's sale.)  DYK if you have Wild Mane or Toulouse Hair, this has 2 special hair morphs for those hairs?

Flower Cart is adorable for city street scenes. Adds a nice splash of color. DYK the flowers are low resolution so they render quickly?  You can put them in your home scenes which aren't closeups.

Modern Museum  It has both 3DL and Iray options. Many of the props are excellent for other settings. An Emergency Exit sign, spotlight fixture (use for your wall art), planters, display cases, and art. I love the glossy floor- you can almost see the fresh wax!

Blue Planet - Orbital View DYK this is only a slice of a planet and does well with closeups? If you have the space shuttle, this makes sense to purchase for the space walks. (Or the Toon MoonWalker)

Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

I've made so many purchases based on what you highlight Novica, so let me share a few favorites from today's Featured Artists.

DYK  October 2nd  (These all have the Full Throttle discount)

Katherina Boat a toon boat but has enough realism for many uses. I especially like the lights for night scenes. There's also some good detail for close-ups.

Steel Town Refinery Bundle  good for a gritty industrial scene. Another one I like for it's night time lighting.

Ryze You need Gianni 6 for this. I like the head and body shape and the skin. Adds welcomed diversity to Genesis 2 male lineup.

Ooh, I have Ryze but I don't know if I've rendered him or not. Great list RGcincy! If you have any renders of anything, feel free to share. I don't think I've seen anyone do the Refinery, and it looks like an awesome, detailed set. It reminds me of the Houston area, can't remember if it's Interstate 10 or prior to that, but when you leave Houston (Texas) going back East to Louisiana or Florida etc, you have to pass these HUGE refineries. You can actually see flames shooting out some of the vents at the top (not sure what those are called, but you get the idea) and it looks really neat at night.

edited October 2015

BTW, back up to the Little Twins bedroom product. If you have a dollhouse and are doing a children's scene, that would be a cute room to put in the dollhouse. You could shrink things down to scale and move it in. Does anyone know if the Sleeping Cutie Bedroom Furniture dollhouse opens in the back? I'm not seeing any other dollhouses. (Gotta love the search. The attic products come up, as did the medieval, without a dollhouse in sight.)

Anyway, only an idea. That's what those rooms reminded me of when I first saw them- dollhouse wallpaper and props.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2015

Those flaming vents are called gas flares. They are part of the refinery safety program - in case of an emergency, they direct hydrocarbons to the flare to reduce risk of explosions.

Steel Town Refinery Bundle 

FM Night Builder

One reason I like this set is I'm a chemical engineer and my son works at an oil refinery in Washington state. I especially like the night time look of refineries and this set makes it easy to do a night scene.  It's a big set that taxes my computer, but since it is split up into 4 blocks (all 4 shown here), you can use only the blocks you need. It comes with presets that load the blocks in a set order, but you can change them around. It also has a large set of lights, cameras and texture presets. I used Flipmode's Night Builder set (neutral preset) to add some ambiance (haze, clouds, stars). The first render is a distant view that shows much of the refinery. The second and third renders are close ups - the set has a lot of detail and many places you can stage scenes. All renders are 3DL.

night refinery.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 270K
    night refinery closeup.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 420K
    night refinery closeup 2.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 362K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

Those are AWESOME!  I really like the lighting and the camera view on the second one, although they are all quite excellent. And thanks for the explanation, very interesting.

Feel free to post more renders of anything you really like. I've opened the thread up to everyone to post renders of products they would recommend. The Refinery products are well done. Thanks for showcasing.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

Neat Renders Rgincy. Great work. 

edited October 2015

Thanks Novica and Serene Night but the credit really needs to go to the vendor DarkMatter. My renders were largely out of the box using some of the included camera and light presets (with a little camera positioning by me to fit the format). I think he/she did a great job on the set. 

I also own DarkMatter's steel furnace. Since it is discounted today, I thought I'd post a render to show that model in use. 

Steel Town Blast Furnace 

Urban Sprawl 2 The Big City

The All New Worldbase XT Lushlands

This is another set I really like for gritty industrial scenes. Fast rendering in 3DL. I used Urban Sprawl 2 as a backdrop and Worldbase Lushlands for the skies and sunlight. I repositioned Urban Sprawl to move it away from the blast furnace and put it in an attractive position.  The steel furnace doesn't have the light or materials presets that the refinery has, but it has lots of camera presets. It also has the power lines as a prop so you can use it in other scenes as well.

Render 1 is of the full side view of the furnace. Render 2 is a close up of one section, showing a set of steps and platforms that would be great for some type of action scene. Render 3 shows the power lines alone in the Lushlands. All three are 3DL renders.

steel furnace.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 591K
    steel furnace closeup.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 606K
    steel furnace power lines.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 613K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

Very nice! I particularly like the sky in the first one, and the attention to detail. I noticed the tall building on the right, and another one by it with the partial printing saying "Storage." The detail in the set is fun, with the a/c units on top of the buildings to the left. Thanks for showing 3DL too.

edited October 2015

DYK October 3

Yo Hipsta Outfit and Accessories for Genesis 3 Female(s) is not only an outfit, it has a very nice satchel bag which can be a handbag or for the shoulder, the dress can be turned into a top, there's bracelets and necklaces. And of course, clog shoes too! A lot of material options in this product.

PixieS Poses for Teen Josie 7   I love the pose hanging upside down from the tree! A few unique poses in this one and many can be used for everyday situations. Note the leaning forward from a kneeling position, reaching for the dragon. That one is versatile.

Bank Vault  is very unusual. If you ever need a bank scene, this is a must have. Has cash, goldbars, goldcoins, safecases, etc. Iray optimized.

Western Town   I already showcased, so you know I recommend this one!

Haiku for Keiko 6   For those wonderful, more natural eyebrows. Compatible with Genesis 2 Females. Also, your chance to grab the young teens at a discount up to 60%. 

My top pick: Fantasy Scene Bundle  because of Rocks N Drops. SereneNight and I both discovered that gem during the first five threads, and I used the heck out of it. With the bundle, you get poses which you might not need, but you get an additional texture set for Rocks N Drops. Add those two up and see if they are better as two separate purchases if you don't need the poses. Love the backgrounds on these!

I've showcased this more than once, that top detailing with the unique curves is AWESOME! Galaxy for Genesis 2 Females And it looks great with pants- very family friendly and dressy. That store is showing a lot of 58% off BEFORE my discounts.

Heads up, no longer on New Status and one of my favorite Genesis 3 (I've showcased.)   Summer  (Victoria 7)

TigerLily Bundle    Or TigerLily alone, I think she's rather neat. Been a long time since I showcased her, but I remember liking her. She has the right amount of freckles!

Saori Kimono   Love those material options. Wow! (Ignore the promo image- what a huge, weird looking bust IMO)  I think a tube top can be layered under it to make it a tad more family friendly, if you were going for a portrait or a top use.

Post edited by Novica on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654

Great contest idea, Novica! I will definitely participate. I love showcasing our wonderful PA products and having some fun. (And this months's RRRR is over tomorrow.)

Barbult, I love the renders od Dogz' morphs. I still don't have them, will wait til they are on sale again. 

Great! Your renders are always funny over in the RRRR. Seeing some new talent over there as well. I had to laugh at the number of extra pulls you had to do. (For folks who don't know, when you win, you have to do an additional product.) Have you still been accumulating?

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    Novica said:

Great! Your renders are always funny over in the RRRR. Seeing some new talent over there as well. I had to laugh at the number of extra pulls you had to do. (For folks who don't know, when you win, you have to do an additional product.) Have you still been accumulating?

Fortunately I lost one last month and was down to eight for this one. The strange part is I like having more pulls. It's harder but more fun too and better results (by my wacked-out standards.)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    edited October 2015

DYK October 3 4:40 pm EST

Platinum Club membership is at a "Special Price" and even seems to stack with other discounts. I had it in the cart with Yo Hipsta Outfit, and PC annual membership was down from the advertised special price of $42 to only $28! The normal price is $70.

Post edited by barbult on
This discussion has been closed.