NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited August 2015

Dang it, I erased the first post. This is with the iRadiance Studio HDRIs and the first picture is with #P and the ISO was higher, the Exposure Value lower. But we lost those settings that I listed. 

This is #R, same distance, and I've shown you the P and R options so you can see what I'm using. The dotted one was P, and the square grid is R.

Because this obviously has more light than #P, the ISO was lowered and the Exposure Value raised. (The highier the E.V the darker it is, but the higher the ISO, the more sensitive to light it becomes so things are lighter.) The settings for this one (R, the grid) are all the same except:

Exposure Value 11.47

Shutter Speed 37.49

Film ISO 118

It's only 50% done because that's enough for my tests for me to see how it is doing.

irayIradianceMeshP.jpg
    473 x 867 - 98K
    irayIradianceMeshR.jpg
    473 x 831 - 91K
    irayiradiancePandR.jpg
    800 x 422 - 61K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited August 2015
    Novica said:

When you turn off the headlamp for your Camera 1 (instead of using Perspective View) for Iray, the scene goes black if I am using Scene Only. I read somewhere that using Ctrl+L will give you light, and it does- but where exactly is that light coming from? (And this is a godsend, btw! Neat trick.)

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/chapters/lights/start

Section 7.2

You are turning the default Headlamp back on when you use CTRL-L.

In Scene Only:

When you add a camera, you add a headlamp with the camera, so it behaves the same way it would if you added a light to the scene, i.e. the default headlamp switches off. It does not automatically return to light the scene when you turn off the camera headlamp. Thus CTRL-L.  smiley

Post edited by TJohn on

Okay, so if I use Ctrl-L then I've turned the headlamp back on and it is then helping to light the scene unless I turn it off again? Argh.

Okay, to be clear- I had turned the camera headlamp OFF. I am using that camera to render from. I did CTRL-L. I checked and in the Camera 1 Parameters, even though the viewport had the light turned on, it remained off in Parameters for the camera.

So the Ctrl+L is for the preview only, and it does not affect the render. I had CTRL+L with the one shown above, and did a test with the CTRL+L clicked again so it was off, the figure in the viewport was in the dark. They rendered the exact same.

So is this because there are other lights in the scene, aka, these mesh lights? That Ctrl+L are only affecting the preview, not the render.

Probably fix that in the future. Tell them how you would like it to work in the next update in this thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56756/daz-studio-pro-4-8-0-59-general-release-now-available-updated/p26

Novica said:

Okay, to be clear- I had turned the camera headlamp OFF. I am using that camera to render from. I did CTRL-L. I checked and in the Camera 1 Parameters, even though the viewport had the light turned on, it remained off in Parameters for the camera.

So the Ctrl+L is for the preview only, and it does not affect the render. I had CTRL+L with the one shown above, and did a test with the CTRL+L clicked again so it was off, the figure in the viewport was in the dark. They rendered the exact same.

So is this because there are other lights in the scene, aka, these mesh lights? That Ctrl+L are only affecting the preview, not the render.

Right. smiley

Well that works exactly like I want it to- being able to see in the preview but not affecting the render is perfect!

I'm not clear what is meant by lights that are "nodes in the scene." What does that mean?  (that link is a good one, explains the Environment and Dome settings.)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Lights that you add to the scene, e.g. mesh lights, spotlights, point lights -- any lights other than the Iray environment dome and Iray sun-sky.

Thanks. I added it to my Iray reference thread. 

If this is for helping clothes onto Genesis 3, what is it saying? See bold.

So if the outfit wasn't for Gen2 F, are they saying that Genesis and V4 clothes both work for Genesis 3 too? Or is the bold a boo boo that should say Genesis 3 Female?

"Don't throw away your old outfits – enhance them! Now your clothes can fit Genesis 3 Female with movement and style using the SY Ultra Templates pack. These templates for different dresses, loincloths and a cape add bone handles with great movement to your items when you use Auto-Fit. Now your characters can sit, run, kneel, or whatever you like even if the outfit wasn't originally for Genesis 2 Female!

• Novica said:

If this is for helping clothes onto Genesis 3, what is it saying? See bold.

So if the outfit wasn't for Gen2 F, are they saying that Genesis and V4 clothes both work for Genesis 3 too? Or is the bold a boo boo that should say Genesis 3 Female?

"Don't throw away your old outfits – enhance them! Now your clothes can fit Genesis 3 Female with movement and style using the SY Ultra Templates pack. These templates for different dresses, loincloths and a cape add bone handles with great movement to your items when you use Auto-Fit. Now your characters can sit, run, kneel, or whatever you like even if the outfit wasn't originally for Genesis 2 Female!

I think it means just as it says. Obviously, it can wear Genesis 3 Female clothes because those are specfically designed for that figure. But this is talking about Autofitting. Currently, the Genesis 3 Female can wear Genesis 2 Female clothing using Autofit.  The new addon allows the figure to use Autofit to wear clothes made for Genesis base and Generation 4 figures, not just Genesis 2 Female clothes and newer. 

Okay, got it. They sure could have gotten more sales if they specifically said Generation 4, Genesis, and Genesis 2 clothing. Thanks Tramp for the input! 

Has anyone bought and tried this?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I passed over it. I think I thought it was clothing.  sad In general, I have stopped investing in gen 3 characters and clothing because I'm just not using her. I like the skin collection I have for gen 2.... And gen 3 is kinda limited. Maybe that will change with a skin conversion tool.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659

Hi Novica. I'm sorry I haven't stopped by for a while, have been overwhelmed trying to learn Iray and have some burnout from buying too much stuff I don't use. I'm probably not alone with both of those. If I am still an Invited Contributer there are a couple things I would like to share... smiley

Luci- not a problem. Post whenever you feel like it.

BTW, anyone else having trouble with DIM doing failed downloads? I've tried for 45 minutes now and can't get it to do a darned thing.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Not currently getting failed downloads, but download speed is slow, so the servers must be pretty busy.

This is so strange- I had to change my download path in DIM- the one I've used forever-I hadn't made any changes but double checked it to be sure, and it was still set up properly. I made a different folder and it downloaded. So if anyone gets stuck like that, do a different folder. (Reminder to newbies- you go up and click the cog in the upper right corner, that's your settings.)

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659
    edited August 2015

I haven't downloade for a couple of days (LOL, strange for me) so haven't used the DIM since Wed when it was OK for me.

Invited Guest Contributor

FSL Daring for Belle 6 
    Required Products: 
    Belle 6
    Genesis 2 Female Body Morphs
    Genesis 2 Female Head Morphs

My Man for Michael 6 
    Michael 6
    Genesis 2 Male Morphs Bundle

Fuseling has created sets of dialed morphs for various Genesis 2 Males and Females. I have a bunch of them and I like them. Even though I like to make my own dialed characters she has made a lot of  dialed combinationsthat I never thought of. Some of them seemed kind of extreme to me at first, being so used to the DAZ pretty norm. I think they are good though as they reflect some of the extreme variety of real people. There are various racial/ethnic characteristics but I rendered each set using the the same skin texture and hair to make it easier to see the differences. 

Each one has 15 characters using the base model with dialed shapes. The heads and bodies can be used separately or together. There are individual morphs for brows, cheeks and chins, ears, eyes, mouths and noses for each of the 15. (With M6 and Gianni there are less ear selections.)

The only problem I have with these is forgetting what I used, as only what was dialed shows up when I click Currently Used in Shaping.

darling belles.jpg
    2000 x 667 - 148K
    my man m6.jpg
    2000 x 599 - 155K
    Post edited by luci45 on
    edited August 2015

Naturally Real for Victoria 7               ReadMe                  EJ Valeria for Genesis 3 Female(s)      

Coming up- I'm going to test Naturally Real for Victoria 7 on Valeria. Right now I'm tweaking the lighting, nothing spectacular but trying to get some highlights and shadows, also want the hand in the view so we can compare. If anyone else has tested Naturally Real, feel free to post- but it needs to have before and after effects. This will take a bit (I'm assuming I can figure out how to use the product, haven't looked at it yet.) I will post the renders here so check back.

BTW, some good poses are Ansiko's Harem poses. 

Settings: Exposure Value 13.67, Shutter Speed 189.99, F Stop 7.89, Film Iso 110.00, Burn Highlights .23, Crush Blacks .23, Saturation 1.05. I didn't do postwork to sharpen contrast, etc, this is out of the box.

Please note, this product is for VICTORIA 7. If you use it on other characters, like I am on Valeria, you will lose the details that are unique (what is that called, texture maps?) 

Below, Valeria, default. Second will be the Naturally Real which will replace the textures and give you a totally different looking character. Kinda fun. EXACT SAME LIGHTING.

Coming up, a third render with the eyes and lips kept at the default Valeria (you use Surfaces, select only the surfaces you want, hold CTRL then use the option SELECTED for surfaces instead of All)  

I am noticing the line above the lips, compared to the 100% Valeria. 

irayValeria.jpg
    1238 x 900 - 421K
    irayValeriaNaturalV7.jpg
    1238 x 900 - 443K
    irayValeriaNaturalV7NOTeyeLips.jpg
    1238 x 900 - 440K
    Post edited by Novica on

Want to take a minute while the first render is going, to tell newbies how to take advantage of the tweaks you do for poses. I know it can be daunting to set up your studio/find files and perhaps after you tweak a pose you'd like to save it and GET TO IT fast. Here's how. (I wish I had done this sooner, I'm bad about tweaking, moving on, and then wondering why I didn't save the pose and tweak it again from there.) 

Depending on where you have your content (mine is in D directory, my C has too much)  you're going to create your own folder first. This is assuming you're doing it for Genesis 3, you'd select whichever generation you're working with.

Daz>Content>People>Genesis 3 Female>Poses>Name Your Folder.

When you name your folder, consider putting ! marks in front of it- those move to the front of the menu. You can do !My Poses Laying, !My Poses Sitting, or simply !My Poses.  (and yes, you can also !!My Poses, etc- the more exclamation marks, the higher up the chain they are. !! will come first, before !

IMPORTANT: Before you save the pose, set your render size to 91 x 91 for the thumbnail and get your figure posed in it. Be sure it is well lit in the viewport as that's what will show in Content Library. You might want to put a pretty colored background behind it (I use Sage Green, rather neutral.) 

Go up to the upper left corner to File>Save As>Pose Preset and select your Daz>Content>People>Genesis 3 Female>Poses>!My Poses (or whatever) and save it.

Be sure to refresh your Genesis 3 Female (or Poses) so that it shows up. Give it a minute- it might take a bit. 

luci45 said:

I haven't downloade for a couple of days (LOL, strange for me) so haven't used the DIM since Wed when it was OK for me.

Oh, I really like these. I don't have the Belle one so I wishlisted it (gee, thanks a lot! I guess it's payback for what everyone says I often do to them when I show a product they don't have lol)  I haven't tried the Michael one yet and can't decide if I like Bachelor #2 or #3 better (grin.) 

edited August 2015

War Dog For Genesis           Capsces Fun and Flirty Victoria 7            Flashy Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)     

Victoria 7 Attitude Expressions

Wear Them All - Autofitting Clones and Clothing Smoothers for Genesis 3 Female(s)

One word on the Wear Them All- YES!!!!!!

I've only tested it for a Genesis shirt onto Genesis 3, but it's a no brainer for a must-have product IMO. Why? First of all, we've all griped about the lack of ReadMes with zero instructions (and yes, vendors shouldn't have to teach people the basics, but it never hurts to give SOME instructions.)  Take a look at the wonderful PDF of instructions/explanations! I feel work like this should be rewarded by supporting the vendors who really go out of their way so we can use the product. 

This was tested on Victoria 7 (out of the box). Look at the middle of the chest. (circled in third one for you) I was easily able to bring it out so there was less cling-wrap effect. When the Auto Fit menu appeared, I had the Genesis option to select for Genesis 3. All this is clearly shown with screenshots in the PDF. (Again, love it love it love it!) 

I'll be trying some V4 stuff. Anything in particular you'd like to see, feel free to ask.

irayWarDogGenesisOrig.jpg
    600 x 900 - 168K
    irayWarDogGenesisChest.jpg
    600 x 900 - 171K
    irayWarDogGenesisChest2.jpg
    600 x 900 - 184K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2015
    irayErseyTop.jpg
    600 x 900 - 230K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited August 2015

How well does it work with V4 shoes on G3? (oops shoes, not shows)

Post edited by barbult on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139

@Novica - well you've nearly sold me on Wear-them-all - I haven't bought into G3F at all yet (well, except the Rune Bundle which seemed silly to buy just the G2F and textures when the bundle was only a tiny bit more exensive) none of the shapes or characters (and yet I STILL didn't get offered that $50 coupon, sniff!) but I've played with the G3F Base a bit and some transferred clothes would be rather useful. I'd be interested to see shoes from V4 too.

• Half LifeHalf Life Posts: 479
    edited August 2015

I'll be very interested in what you have to say about Naturally Real V7 after further testing. I would note that because this material set is made specifically for Iray, the material will tolerate more real-world exposure values without blowing out (unlike some hybrid or legacy materials). I also should mention that the V7 normal maps are not loaded with the materials by default because it is meant to be used specifically with V7 HD... however this also makes the material set more compatible with other non-V7 shapes.

If you intend to get into the settings to change things, it is worth noting that some of the textures are inverted.

Post edited by Half Life on

Hi folks, not ignoring you, haven't been on the computer this morning. I will definitely test shoes this afternoon for you.

Melanie- I know, $50 is a LOT to offer some people, and not others. For those of you who didn't see the Commons thread, many people had a $50 offer regarding buying Genesis 3. I don't know the specifics because I wasn't one of the people (I have most the Gen 3, Summer is by far my favorite and I'd have to say if you only get one, start with her.) 

Half Life- I'll play some more with it after testing the shoes. I have some questions about what you said- aka, the textures being inverted?  I'm not very technical so folks pretty much have to baby-step me most of the time. wink

edited August 2015

Well, I've only tested V4 shoes Happy Camper, started with boots- and wanted the pose to be a challenge so it's bent foot. The results? Awesome. I've posted the screenshots so you can see how your shoes would load doing V4 onto Genesis 3- it would be ugly. With the ability to chose V4 and specify shoes, bingo! I've shown you the pose without the shoes so you can see the shoes are doing exactly what they should do. I'll show more shoes, but the first one rates a 10 out of 10.

shoesV4.jpg
    1724 x 925 - 139K
    shoesV4B.jpg
    1843 x 704 - 122K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2015

Here's showing the tweaks with the shirt that are available with the product, the sternum was protruding when it loaded. Note the softer appearance directly between the breasts.

Some of the wrinkles are built in (such as above the breast)  I'm happy with the chest tweaks provided and with more time, you can probably get it exactly as you want it. 

shoesV4E.jpg
    1418 x 1256 - 141K
    shoesV4HappyCamper.jpg
    600 x 900 - 173K
    shoesV4D.jpg
    600 x 900 - 164K
    Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.