maybe an iClone thread

Comments

• OldNickOldNick Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

BTW I should say that I have used Carrara quite a bit but got angry at it and have been away for a while.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    edited December 1969

I was just quoting the Reallusion page
    I actually paid more for iC4 then got iC5 through a content offer where I had to buy $200 of content and a month later it was a free upgrade to iC5 plus I bought 3dx4 but got 3dx5 free by beta testing having also just missed out on the free upgrade by being too eager, got pipeline too by beta testing but all up prob spent as much as the Daz bundle price and still have not gotten the mocap plugin or a kinect yet as it is not a priority for me.
    but then I bought M5 pro bundle, the supersuit bundle, Stephanie5 pro bundle, etc etc etc the list goes on!!!
    you buy what you want when you want it, not later when it is cheaper!!
    you can just try iC5 demo first then get iC5pro amd wait for Reallusion discount offers instead of getting everything at once.
    prob the best tactic like here at Daz!

edited December 1969

HAH! You see you are an admitted software addict...I am an addicted bounds explorer. So you buy what you want when you want and do not wait for cheaper, whereas I always want to see how far something can go, so I need the whole pack, but wait for a sale then rush in (stuff changes so fast that I am often coming up against new bits). We obviously have our ways of feeding that need. :-)

I have to admit that as a bounds explorer I so often find those limits and get disappointed :smirk:

edited December 1969

yeah, many bought DS4pro, Hexagon and Bryce too!
    (I just got advanced and the autofit tool so had not parted ways with as much of my cash when they went for free)
    thats life, I could have also gotten a 50" LCD for what I spent earlier on a 42" plasma but my old cathode ray with a bigarse tv died too soon :snake:

edited December 1969

Ahhh now here I have the ultimate "Thaaht's loocshorie! ....In MY day..." story.

I once bought a computer that had 640Mb of total RAM, and a 20___***MB***___ HDD (which was revolutionary in that the operating system was not loaded at each session from floppy) and it cost me....$3500, I think. The HDD alone was $1200

But I had many many many happy hours from that machine, delving around and being at the heart of new stuff....so yeah I am an addict. There was one consolation back then. Things moved a lot slower, so you were not half-priced obsolete in a few months, but more like a few years. You had time to enjoy your "mistake" untainted by newness envy.

Nick

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Question for anybody who's actually used iClone to animate - what frustrates me the most in DAZ Studio/Animate is the feet moving around (and less often the hands e.g. when opening a door or leaning on a table). Does iClone have any features that enable hands/feet to be properly locked to make life easier?

And if so, will I need to buy the Pro package plus a separate thing called 3DXchange Pro as well to import/export to/from DAZ Studio?

Thanks

1- yes - very nice
    2- yes - if I am getting what you want to do

edited December 1969

has foot and hand collision with terrain which is a feature I would love in Daz
    you need 3dx5pro for rigged figure and model import and just exporting some mesh (Reallusion store bought stuff is locked to iClone)
    does Google sketchup and warehouse models nicely.
    rigged models and bvh needs pipeline for export plus licenses for Reallusion developer market place stuff.

edited December 1969

don't forget iClone has smart props - wish DS had them
    " has foot and hand collision with terrain " and props

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    And if so, will I need to buy the Pro package plus a separate thing called 3DXchange Pro as well to import/export to/from DAZ Studio?

Thanks

You need iClonePro 5 and 3DXchange Pro 5 to import to iClone. See the link to the tutorial below:
    Daz to iClone with 3DXchange 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lklKuuaQSws
    If you wish also to import items from iClonePro 5 back to the DazStudio, then you need 3DXchange Pipeline 5:
    http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/pipeline/steps.aspx
  • creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

do you have any news,
    we will have smart props with terrain and hand + foot collisions in studio soon?
    thinking to move to iclone and leave studio, animation is well done in iclone.

edited December 1969

bigh said:

do you have any news,
    we will have smart props with terrain and hand + foot collisions in studio soon?

Have no idea what DS 5 will have . They said there will be more animation tools .
    Yes iClone is fun to use .

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    what frustrates me the most in DAZ Studio/Animate is the feet moving around (and less often the hands e.g. when opening a door or leaning on a table).

yeah that frustrates and bothers many of us.
    I think iclone is real daz/poser killprogram.

edited December 1969

on the old forum I had a thread were I tried to do foot collision in Carrara using target helpers, ik restraints and modifiers and track modifier
    so far I can only do detachable "smart props" this way and feet that slide on the floor!

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    bigh said:

do you have any news,

Have no idea what DS 5 will have . They said there will be more animation tools .

do you think i can better wait until ds5 at christmas?
    or move to iclone for animation.

edited December 1969

on the old forum I had a thread were I tried to do foot collision in Carrara using target helpers, ik restraints and modifiers and track modifier
    so far I can only do detachable "smart props" this way and feet that slide on the floor!

if i see the difference iclone vs carrara.
    it's great done in iclone and very poor in carrara.
    i tought carrara was daz highend version for pro users?
    now i see you can do more avatar animation in iclone as carrara.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    bigh said:

do you have any news,

do you think i can better wait until ds5 at christmas?
    or move to iclone for animation.

up to you - I like both - DS 5 for christmas might not be that soon
    test out iClone see if its what you want .

edited December 1969

I can do quite vast lot more in Carrara actually but iClone is quick and easy to use and has a few nice features like the foot contact.

edited December 1969

I can do quite vast lot more in Carrara actually but iClone is quick and easy to use and has a few nice features like the foot contact.

Wendy do you know
    can you pin avatars in iclone against each other?
    animate them in a single movement, like 2 people dancing with hands connected.

edited December 1969

can do that in Carrara too using track and target helpers

edited September 2012

Well I just watched a demo of walking a model in iClone..I am nearly sold away from Carrara. no anchors that need to be moved, no need to create each step bit by bit, nothing: just "walk"

Does iClone have collision between objects, with physics-based rebound etc? EDIT: and does it work for more than about two objects. I r4eied to build a game of pool in Carrara and it just fell to pieces if you had more than maybe two balls.

Post edited by OldNick on
    edited December 1969

OldNick said:
    Well I just watched a demo of walking a model in iClone..I am nearly sold away from Carrara. no anchors that need to be moved, no need to create each step bit by bit, nothing: just "walk"

Does iClone have collision between objects, with physics-based rebound etc? EDIT: and does it work for more than about two objects. I r4eied to build a game of pool in Carrara and it just fell to pieces if you had more than maybe two balls.

yes - go for it

edited December 1969

Ta! :) I have just DL'd the demo. I will see how I go....it goes?

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited September 2012

Well I am both pleased and cranky I read this thread!!

Pleased that I have found what I needed to know and can stop tearing my hair out but cranky I have a great little animation of Genesis in iClone but I can't make her blink or smile or show any facial animation.... that really sucks big time!

It may even be a deal breaker for me as I expected to not have to buy into Reallusions content and use all of my DAZ content.... and well facial animation is a bit of a requirement for me.

Wendy... how long has this been talked about as coming in the iClone community (and dare I ask when do you think it will arrive?) and in your experience will it be an expensive update to get that bit of functionality or might it be a free patch?... just asking your opinion on these things as I am not expecting you to know.

I am having fun though now it is all setup and I have worked through some tutorials... off to play with Kinect on the weekend but first I wanted to churn out some quick teaching myself stuff animations but I am disheartened by the blank look of my Geni :(

EDITED to woohooo at my second post in the new DAZ forums.... you can tell I am not thrilled by all the changes around here :P

Post edited by MangeyDesigner on
    edited December 1969

facial expression IS coming for Daz figures and it is promised as a free update but they need to iron out some bugs.
    there is a thread on it at the Reallusionforum.
    lots of cut scenes with facial closeups in studio for dialogue is one solution, can even be opengl render if just a face.
    ie show talking from behind with nodding then cut to the closeup.
    also using iClone heads (stickman Zack without his props attached good for this) with front and side images of your Daz figures to make the face, frankenstiened to headless Daz bodies.
    you link the iClone character with the invisible stickman body to a headless Daz body made by exporting with the eye closed in the scene or turning down opacity on all head bits, attach Daz prop hair to the iClone head.
    only use facial animation on the head, body animation on the Daz body.
    unfortunately cannot be saved as one figure though and scenes cannot be merged.

edited December 1969

a quick (not very good) frankensteining attempt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLfsWXcS3M

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info Wendy... I will have to do some reading over at Reallussion as I don't like the sound of the hybrid model option much at all as Genesis makes such pretty faces!! I can live without dialogue but I want blinking and smiling and breathing etc to at least make things look semi real.

I have a clip I am nearly finished that I will probably post somewhere despite it being very basic... it shows Genesis in iClone and what a total beginer with iClone can do after just a few days playing with it... and besides it looks very pretty the way I have set it up... but I need to find some different music if i want to put it on somewhere like YouTube... that's a pity though as it works so well with REM lol.

there is definitely a lot to like about iClone and once I learn a bit more I am sure I will be able to do some very cool stuff.... definitely lots of surreal ambient stuff that will look amazing.... I just want to make my genesis close her eyes a little and have a tear roll down her cheek and to look like she is breathing and then this would be amazing.

Anyway enough from me... even though I had some hassles and there are some major limitations I think it will end up being a well spent $500 as the potential for fun and creativity is huge.

DAZ are partnering with iClone now so maybe we can get a dedicated iClone forum as I would love to find out about things like animating DAZ hair in iClone and using DS Dynamic clothes and once I start playing with the MoCap I would love to be creating some pose sets and bringing them into DS.... hmmm and I do need to find out more about how you create content like clothes and custom figures for the native iClone models.

So much to play with and so few spare hours these days.

Thanks again for your info Wendy and also for initially piquing my interest in iClone.

I hope people tell you that your enthusiasm and your creativity rock!

edited December 1969

you can only retexture and move vertices around on the mesh of the iClone iAvatars unless you have 3ds MAX!
    I CAN for example export uppers, lowers etc into Carrara, use softselect in the vertex room to lengthen coats, skirts etc but cannot add or remove or otherwise cange the vertex order or they will not replace mesh in 3dxchange, works exactly like morphloader in Daz studio actually.
    I can paint textures with Carrara's 3D paint too.
    so you cannot create new clothes, only modify existing stuff.
    unless you have Max, there is a 3dsMax plugin developers use for making their content.

edited December 1969

you can only retexture and move vertices around on the mesh of the iClone iAvatars unless you have 3ds MAX!
    I CAN for example export uppers, lowers etc into Carrara, use softselect in the vertex room to lengthen coats, skirts etc but cannot add or remove or otherwise cange the vertex order or they will not replace mesh in 3dxchange, works exactly like morphloader in Daz studio actually.
    I can paint textures with Carrara's 3D paint too.
    so you cannot create new clothes, only modify existing stuff.
    unless you have Max, there is a 3dsMax plugin developers use for making their content.

what about clone cloth and gimp - can't you use that ?

edited December 1969

yes, I said you can retexture the clonecloth
    and I use MS paint!!!
    3D paint is easier though!!!
    you can see in 3D what you are doing