NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited March 2015

Good luck and hope you finish :) Great group of folks over there on that thread, and a lot of fun.

Here's the large Darius with a more complicated light setup, I'm definitely going to save it for a starting point for my African Americans with this skin tone.

It's 65 degrees here so headed out to do yard work with my puppy assistant. He's going on 7 months old now, wow!

Click to enlarge, click again. Large render. (He looks darker when shrunk.)

Darius_5a.jpg
    1378 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

Novica, my version of Toulouse came with the "Barefoot Dancer" tutorial bundle and ended up being hidden in Poser formats. It may not have a separate entry if it came from the tutorial bundle.

edited December 1969

Teofa said:
    Novica, my version of Toulouse came with the "Barefoot Dancer" tutorial bundle and ended up being hidden in Poser formats. It may not have a separate entry if it came from the tutorial bundle.

Thanks Teofa. I put Barefoot Dancer in my search for the Product Library and nothing came up. I don't remember getting it, either. There was some hair that was a paid product that was different than one that came with either Essentials or something else, and darned if I can remember. I tried doing a forum search a few minutes ago, and that was a disaster, lol. I'll list it but just can't link to the product page. It's a cute short hairstyle.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It's part of G2F Starter Essentials:

You can find new icons for loading this product in the following DAZ Studio Folders:
    “Camera Presets:Shaded Haven”
    “DAZ Studio Tutorials”
    “DAZ Studio Tutorials:Genesis 2 Barefoot Dancer”
    “Environments:Architecture:Shaded Haven”
    “Environments:Architecture:Shaded Haven:Materials:Building MATs”
    “Environments:Architecture:Shaded Haven:Materials:Ivy MATs”
    “Environments:Architecture:Shaded Haven:Materials:Prop MATs”
    “People:Genesis 2 Female”
    “People:Genesis 2 Female:Clothing:Basic Wear”
    “People:Genesis 2 Female:Clothing:Basic Wear:Materials”
    “People:Genesis 2 Female:Clothing:Persian Beauty Outfit”
    “People:Genesis 2 Female:Clothing:Persian Beauty Outfit:Materials”
    “People:Genesis 2 Female:Hair:Toulouse Hair”
    “People:Genesis 2 Female:Hair:Toulouse Hair:Materials”
    “People:Genesis 2 Female:Materials”
    “People:Genesis 2 Female:Poses”
    “Scene Builder:Starter Essentials”

edited December 1969

I was playing around with a Genesis render and forgot to switch gears when I went back to the Gen2 render, so I was looking in the Genesis Starter Essentials. :) It kept niggling at me that it was a Starter Essential, so at least I remembered that much. But thought I was losing my mind!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

Nicely done with your Darius. Fantastic character, and excellent way to showcase the figure. Now, if we can just get more Darius-hairstyles I would be quite happy.

edited March 2015

Well, this is really going to get interesting. If you were an early buyer of Darius and Monique, today you get and EXTRA 50% off Daz Originals, including PC club items. (No new releases, gift cards, memberships.) It's a one time use based on the wording "on your next purchase of..."
    So be sure and look for that blue banner if you bought both the figures already.

It's going on 5am and I have to get some sleep, so excuse the babbling if I am way off base here. Gotta get some sleep.... but I don't have a clue how this would work if you find a DO in one of the featured stores. 50% off if you buy 2 new things, 10% off that for having both bundles, then another 50% with this offer if it's a DO?

EDIT: Richard pointed out that the text for the stores says no PC items.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2015

If you're looking for Daz Originals in the featured stores (and have 2 new items, so get 50%) then get the extra 50% for DO's, Morris store has quite a few.

Take a peek at this outfit- it's a DO and NOT in those stores, but it goes 50%. It's already $18.95 to $13.27, so 50% of that and it's $6.64
    http://www.daz3d.com/wicked-bolero

Then this is what makes it worth a look:

http://www.daz3d.com/adrenaline-rush IS in the featured stores, it's 17.95, the 30% is 12.57, then with the 2 new releases and other discount it drops to $2.83. Would look great with pants and be family friendly! Those promo images show what you can do with that neckline, I hadn't noticed it before.

So you'll get the outfit and textures both for $9.47

http://www.daz3d.com/dynasty-textures-for-wicked-pyjama-party is 17.95 to 12.57 to 2.82

http://www.daz3d.com/fusion-for-sci-fi-bodysuit goes to 1.72

and there's a lot more from Morris. A few more samples (Hide What I Own was checked, so there may be a lot more items)

Goldtassel: http://www.daz3d.com/miwa-anime-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s goes from 19.95 to 3.15

Cute3D: http://www.daz3d.com/bow-skirt-for-genesis-2-female-s 7.95 to 5.57 to 1.26

SHOX Design has several also that are DO's.

Esha: http://www.daz3d.com/tryst-lingerie-for-v6 goes to 2.82 and there are several more. I love the bottoms on this one, don't know how I'd use it, but for 2.82 I'll find a way.

EDIT:
    http://www.daz3d.com/tryst-lingerie-textures And the textures go to 1.57

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Well, for fun I Google mapped the Daz HQ (the address is public knowledge, they're not trying to hide the location) so here ya go- where the Daz worker bees go to perform their magic.

I like the free Deck Accessories, but where is the matching deck to be found?

dazHQ.jpg
    2000 x 782 - 165K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Well, for fun I Google mapped the Daz HQ (the address is public knowledge, they're not trying to hide the location) so here ya go- where the Daz worker bees go to perform their magic.

http://www.daz3d.com/the-deck-collection

edited December 1969

okay, this is the first time I've seen this. I was checking the settings for the cool new cyber squid Modular Mech Squid. I'm not sure what is so secure about a video but interesting....

Capture.JPG
    1334 x 624 - 87K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

MidnightStories has added the link to the video in his thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53431/

edited December 1969

What is weird is the verbage of the message. The tutorial looks cool. =-)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Thanks! I have that already, so I'm good to go. I gave up trying to remember all the patio/garden stuff. :)

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Novica said:

http://www.daz3d.com/the-deck-collection

I'm not familiar with The Deck Collection either. When I went to take a look at it, surprise, I already have it. Time to start using content instead of collecting content.

edited December 1969

I checked and it was a freebie around Nov 22nd or 23rd. That is so nice to have a set now. Good to know I am not the only one with memory lapses :)

edited December 1969

Have you been seeing all the DAZ ads wherever you go on the internet? This one... well, a new freebie every day? I know the site doesn't show what I own, and that section is often stagnant so far as showing me anything new- but have you seen a new freebie EVERY day in the freebie section?

advertisement.jpg
    1006 x 1054 - 109K
    edited December 1969

Rocketship Mongo- no longer has a product page from the Product Library, has a manual and DIM download, but I could NOT get it to show up in the DIM no matter what I typed in. I typed in Rocket, Rocketship, Rocket Ship, and Mongo. I tried spacing out M O N G O as it was that way in the title artistically.

I also tried "Retrostyle" since it had that word in front of it. I understand it doesn't have a product page, but if it is listed in my Product Library and I own it, I should at least be able to call the product in DIM when it has a DIM folder. (according to Product Library.)

Anyone who owns it, will you test it and see if you put it in the search box in the DIM, if it comes up for you? I manually downloaded the file, but this is ridiculous unless I am making a boo boo.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Rocketship Mongo- no longer has a product page from the Product Library, has a manual and DIM download, but I could NOT get it to show up in the DIM no matter what I typed in. I typed in Rocket, Rocketship, Rocket Ship, and Mongo. I tried spacing out M O N G O as it was that way in the title artistically.

I also tried "Retrostyle" since it had that word in front of it. I understand it doesn't have a product page, but if it is listed in my Product Library and I own it, I should at least be able to call the product in DIM when it has a DIM folder. (according to Product Library.)

Anyone who owns it, will you test it and see if you put it in the search box in the DIM, if it comes up for you? I manually downloaded the file, but this is ridiculous unless I am making a boo boo.

Try searching by SKU (sku::12345 in the filter box) to see what it's called in DIM.

edited December 1969

The file says IM00002196-01 but nothing comes up in the DIM when I type in sku::02196 or 2196. Not a problem for me but if people are relying on their DIM to show them their products, they aren't being shown quite a few of them. I'm in the S's right now, working with thousands of files, and there are a LOT that won't even come up when I copy/paste the names from the Product Library into the search box- sometimes not even taking one word from a phrase to try it. But with this one being so unusual, I thought for sure it would come up.

Is the SKU more than five numbers? I did the five and the four.

edited December 1969

Oh, and the file is called Rocketship Mongo. I already knew that from the manual download on the Product page. So this is weird.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Have you been seeing all the DAZ ads wherever you go on the internet? This one... well, a new freebie every day? I know the site doesn't show what I own, and that section is often stagnant so far as showing me anything new- but have you seen a new freebie EVERY day in the freebie section?

No. They seem to update freebies once a week, but I haven't seen anything new this week. The ads I've seen lately feature Keiko. Did you see the fast grab extravaganza?

edited March 2015

Yep- the Creature Creator clothing smoother would come in handy.

BTW- I don't know if its all of Sarsa's store, but http://www.daz3d.com/wukong-outfit-for-genesis-2-male-s isn't new, and isn't discounting and neither are the textures. Haven't tested anything else. I emailed the admin already.

EDIT: FixMyPCMike got it solved, those are discounting now.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited March 2015

Novica said:

No. They seem to update freebies once a week, but I haven't seen anything new this week. The ads I've seen lately feature Keiko. Did you see the fast grab extravaganza?
    Have I ever seen a new freebie appear every day? Yes, last year for a little while, I think (that's when those ads first appeared). These days there certainly isn't a new one posted every day, but they usually update the Freebies page once a week, with at least 7 freebies, so that's kinda the same thing... Many of them are textures, not "3D Model(s)" though.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited March 2015

Build A Street: English Country Village (IndigoJanson)
    http://www.daz3d.com/build-a-street-english-country-village

First of all, congrats to our friend and IGC Jindi for her very first product release!
    I'm going to be gone all day and running behind, headed out the door. Only the first render has finished so I'll have to continue this later this weekend. I started with the roof as I liked the unusual approach.

I used the Angkor Wat Temple lights, and added a distant light.

I like the white blobs on the shingles, I'm always on the search for blatantly repeating patterns (hate them!) and the blobs pass the test. So nice not to have boring shingles! The green fruit (or whatever it is) is also a nice addition. I did increase the bump slightly.

Anyone else who has rendered it, feel free to post. I'll check back in later tonight :) And Congratulations Jindi! (If you have any more renders feel free to post too!)

indigo1.jpg
    898 x 551 - 505K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited March 2015

Wow, is that "our" Jindi? Congrats to Jindi on the new product!
    By "green fruits" do you mean the blobs highlighted below? If so, I'm confident that is moss - very English - my own house roof is covered with it! Never used to get this until about 20 years ago as there was too much air pollution - now with low-emission cars etc it's taking over the country! Second image is a close-up of part of my roof - you'll see that as well as the moss we get the uneven bird-blob white patches too :)

Capture2.JPG
    933 x 832 - 105K
    Capture.JPG
    506 x 375 - 57K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited December 1969

Neat! Congratulations on your new release Jindi! =-)

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

So exciting to see an actual render by someone, and above all in this thread. Thanks Novica, I hope you have fun with this one.

LOL to the blobs and green stuff, Melaine is right about that being moss. The white blobs... I'm pretty sure it's bird poop, can see it in Melanie's picture too. Ew... I know. The lack of repetition is due to the roof being created from a photo I took of an actual roof in a historic village. So no, I didn't paint on the details, for better or for worse those are the genuine article. I did have to paint out the bird poop for the displacement map. One of those hidden 'joys' of creating content... :)

Thanks SereneNight and Melanie! I've been working on becoming a PA for a long time, hard to believe now that it's finally come about. By the way, if any of you know Atticus Bones (a talented forum user who has an art studio thread with his artwork), he too had his first release this week as the creator of the Lemonade Stand freebie.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Congratulations. I've got it on my w/l. Only 4 more days until my check comes in.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited March 2015

Hey, that's your product, Jindi? Congratulations...it looks very cool! I've wishlisted it also and hopefully I'll be able to purchase it soon!

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
This discussion has been closed.