Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

You are a clever lazy devil. :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Antara, since we're doing Carrara 9, you want a different font anyways! wink

If you look around the Daz stte and store, you'll see the font crop up in different weights all over the place. I suspect they either designed or had it commissioned as a complete font family. I've certainly never found it on any of the font sites (and not for want of looking)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited August 2016

@ wgdjohn ha ha, well I have done it before :) and not very well, I think glare looks better than aura 

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited August 2016

this is an texture I lfted of a photo by Thomas Bresson on Wiki  from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2013-08-07_04-23-26-foudre-belfort.jpg

you could use it in the glow channel of a plane's texture

2013-08-07_04-23-26-foudre-.jpg
    2000 x 1018 - 91K

lots of glow and errects on the light bulbs i n this one - and also used caustics to reflect light from the ground.

the freak has a Carrara 9 transmap mapped to him. The ground is an infinte plane. I shouldnt have ticked 'make seamless' on the texture?

freakcropped.jpg
    1889 x 1500 - 1M
    edited August 2016

lots of glow and errects on the light bulbs i n this one - and also used caustics to reflect light from the ground.

the freak has a Carrara 9 transmap mapped to him. The ground is an infinte plane. I shouldnt have ticked 'make seamless' on the texture, that way all the Carrara's would have been the right way???

After Dart's enthusiasm fo Fog I dropped some in ;) made a bit of background haze

• Not sure what happened really 

DazUPLOADC9.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 741K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

Not sure what happened really 

Ha! Love the people silhouettes in the crosswalk! 

Somebody went time-traveling carelessly.laugh

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I sense a new movie coming - "Planet of the Zebras"!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Wow, amazing stuff, Headwax and Gibson.johnny3. 

I am frustrated.  I modeled a baseball uniform in the vertex modeler.  I have been trying to uvmap it using the seam/pin method.  Unfortunately, the modeler keeps forgetting some of the seam lines.  The dropped seams appear to happen randomly.  For example, I have seams separating the shirt from the pants, and separating the front and the back (and also separating the belt and loops and the sleeves).  So, I will use unfold one time and have the front and back of the shirt separate appropriately, but the pants will have a connection.  So, I go back and re-seam the pants, but when I unfold the second time,one of the sections of the shirt's seams is dropped, and so the shirt's front and back panels do not separate.  So, I have to do the shirt over again, but then in the third unfold, the shirt separates but then he pants don't because a seam section gets dropped.  Aaargh.

This uvmap is a mess because the seams don't completely separate the various panels, but I promise that I have checked and tripled checked the seams and repeated the unfold.  

Argh.

jj uvmap forgetting seams.JPG
    1402 x 945 - 156K

Could you separate it out into multiple meshes, and unwrap them one at a time?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,791

Zebra crossing laugh 

Trying to keep it one mesh so it will be easier to use the VWD dynamic cloth program with Philemo's plugin.  You are right, I may have to have the pants and shirt as distinct models.  I got a little closer.  I find that I get one shot at using unfold each time that I reload the model.  This is my best attempt so far.  The belt loops are screwed up but the pants and the shirt are much closer to what I want.  I have attached a render with a simple procedural wires shader applied to mimic pinstripes.  There are also red borders for for the collar and sleeves just to show that those could be used as well.

The "plan" is to use the nail function to fix the belt and the knees-bottoms, and then use VWD to drape the uniform as if a loose shirt were tucked in, and as if the pants were tucked in those stretch baseball socks.  I also intend to use the Baker plugin to export the procedural pinstripes (if I get the pants sorted out) and then write Carrara and 9 on the back of the uniform.

kk uniform uvmap improved a little.JPG
    1681 x 872 - 172K
    kk uniform uvmap improved a little render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 37K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    head wax said:

this is an texture I lfted of a photo by Thomas Bresson on Wiki  from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2013-08-07_04-23-26-foudre-belfort.jpg

you could use it in the glow channel of a plane's texture

was feeling inspired by the Melbourne storm smiley

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1469211/#Comment_1469211

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    wgdjohn said:

Misty, Very interesting question... my gears are meshing. :)

I have a program on my Amiga, ImageFX for 2D graphics which has a Lighting effect which is quite good. I would imagine that it might be done easier and faster in postwork in a program like Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop etc, with the proper plug-in or effect. I have both mentioned but nearly always use PSP simply because I'm more familiar with it.

I am Spline room illiterate so please cut me some slack here. :)  If wanting a single bolt of lightening I'd drop in a circle and extrude it then section it. It's path could be adjusted via the vector style path to give it an irregular, not straight, look. Do-able yes. I've no idea how to add lightening branches to a spline object... perhaps someone has done something similar. There are tools I've not used in the Spline modeler.  --> me = spline illiterate <--

Are you wanting a single lightening bolt, no branches? If you want it to have branches I think of it like an upside down or angled tree with branches only for the sides and not front and back. I could probably do this fairly easily in the Vertex room. One way would be to load an existing tree and start removing branches wanted and rotate it 90°. Another way would be to drop in a circle and use Dynamic Extrusion to create the main lightening bolt and then select polys on it and do the extrusion again for each branch wanted. Afterwards I would would loop polys around the branch wherever you wanted a crooked branch and give "soft selection" then nudge them to create different effects/bends... hmm could also use scale tool to make more pointy/tapered if desired. Forgot to mention to taper the lightening branches. That is one method that I would try which would likely be the fastest for me. I'm sure there are other methods.

If I am wrong about anything someone please correct me. :)

hmmm mybe something via the tree editor branches with glow ... skinny branches ... so far, not lightning looking. doh, more sub branches, branchlings ... 

edited August 2016

Misty, you may already be familiar, but just to be sure, don't forget that there is an Expert tab in the tree modeler.  If you look under the picture, there are additional tabs for "Generation Count" and "Randomness" which can be shuffled.  Other tools worth exploring as well.

I did a test drape of the baseball uniform just to make sure I wasn't wasting my time fighting the uvmap monster.  This was only draped to the T-pose as a test to make sure that VWD could handle the mesh.  I think it draped reasonably well on the arms and legs.  Makes me believe that it is worth continuing to try to get the uvmap and shaders sorted out.

ll test of VWD cloth drape.jpg
    600 x 800 - 31K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

That's looking good Diomede!  UV mapping can be a real pain. One of the reasons I like doing clothes in Marvelous Designer is that the UVs are automatically correct, as it makes the clothes from flat pieces of "cloth", just as you would in the real world. Not that it helps you in this case...

MistyMist said:
    wgdjohn said:

Misty, Very interesting question... my gears are meshing. :)

I have a program on my Amiga, ImageFX for 2D graphics which has a Lighting effect which is quite good. I would imagine that it might be done easier and faster in postwork in a program like Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop etc, with the proper plug-in or effect. I have both mentioned but nearly always use PSP simply because I'm more familiar with it.

I am Spline room illiterate so please cut me some slack here. :)  If wanting a single bolt of lightening I'd drop in a circle and extrude it then section it. It's path could be adjusted via the vector style path to give it an irregular, not straight, look. Do-able yes. I've no idea how to add lightening branches to a spline object... perhaps someone has done something similar. There are tools I've not used in the Spline modeler.  --> me = spline illiterate <--

Are you wanting a single lightening bolt, no branches? If you want it to have branches I think of it like an upside down or angled tree with branches only for the sides and not front and back. I could probably do this fairly easily in the Vertex room. One way would be to load an existing tree and start removing branches wanted and rotate it 90°. Another way would be to drop in a circle and use Dynamic Extrusion to create the main lightening bolt and then select polys on it and do the extrusion again for each branch wanted. Afterwards I would would loop polys around the branch wherever you wanted a crooked branch and give "soft selection" then nudge them to create different effects/bends... hmm could also use scale tool to make more pointy/tapered if desired. Forgot to mention to taper the lightening branches. That is one method that I would try which would likely be the fastest for me. I'm sure there are other methods.

If I am wrong about anything someone please correct me. :)

hmmm mybe something via the tree editor branches with glow ... skinny branches ... so far, not lightning looking. doh, more sub branches, branchlings ... 

That's why I suggested IvyGen in the other thread. With no leaves, you can get some very lightning-like branch structures - simply a matter of tweaking the parameters until you grow something you like.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193
    edited August 2016
    MistyMist said:

splines for lightning?! smiley

one of these modifiers can curve text round a ball

Growing a vine or spline?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    head wax said:

After Dart's enthusiasm fo Fog I dropped some in ;) made a bit of background haze

There's another way that I've found: Use the Realistic Sky, even if you're not going to see the sky, and use the fog! I start with an altitude of around 12 with an intensity of around 12, and adjust to my liking ;)

Absolutely Awesome! Love the embossed Carrara 9 on the cliff side!!! Love it!!!

head wax said:

The ground is an infinte plane. I shouldnt have ticked 'make seamless' on the texture, that way all the Carrara's would have been the right way???

Try using a finite plane instead, and then using tiling ;)

diomede said:

I did a test drape of the baseball uniform just to make sure I wasn't wasting my time fighting the uvmap monster.  This was only draped to the T-pose as a test to make sure that VWD could handle the mesh.  I think it draped reasonably well on the arms and legs.  Makes me believe that it is worth continuing to try to get the uvmap and shaders sorted out.

Agreed 100% ;)

edited August 2016
    diomede said:

This uvmap is a mess because the seams don't completely separate the various panels, but I promise that I have checked and tripled checked the seams and repeated the unfold.                                          Argh.

Sometimes when that happens to me (trouble with unwrap) I'll just use planar mapping front and back separately (in this case, at least) and then pull out the side's edges from the map - start with the furthest edge out, pull, add the next edge to the selection, pul, repeat, repeat. Not the favored method, but I've had excellent results from that procedure ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

gibson.johnny3 that's a wonderful image congrats. Care to tell us how you got the glow and the atmosphere :) ? All ears!

@diomede that drape looks wonderful, dont you love how vwd also gets rid of poke through. Dart's suggestion sounds good - when in doubt, cheat!

@ dartanbeck thanks - unticking the seamless fixed it

edited August 2016

Here is the start of a different take. 

island carrara.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Thanks all. Great looking work going on here 

head wax - Care to tell us how you got the glow and the atmosphere 

Simply cheat!!. Of course Carrara 9 would have all these functions and we wouldn't have to, But until such time this becomes available I suggest the Carrara fans Google - Google NIK Collection where they will get access to a great Photoshop plugin that was once quite pricey but now free. You will be amazed how you can tweak an existing Carrara 300 dpi render using this. Don't know why but with Daz, Bryce, Carrara and Poser renders the plug seems almost designed for them. The atmosphere is the default Dartanbeck with the tonal contrast enhanced and it is quite possible a warm LUT over the top. I usually blend the NIK version with the original. As for the street lights I am still working on those because I went outside and noticed a differing glow and my OCD kicked in. PS Lens Flare, even with a 40in screen a thumbnail size box comes up that somebody with 20/20 vision will struggle to see. After 10 goes at lining it up and you seem to get the desired result. I usually set it at 10-12 and use more than one to control the amount of spill. 

Now for my WIP here I decided to beat up the lettering a little because the CARRARA was a little too polished sitting next to the 9. I also added Loretta out taking the baby for a stroll.

PS if you can get the plug after the comp has run so I at least have a sporting chance it would be much appreciated ;-)

DUCarrara9Cmp2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 719K

@gibson.johnny3  thanks for the detailed explanation! appreciated . nice move with the patinated Carrara

@Dartanbeck There's another way that I've found: Use the Realistic Sky, even if you're not going to see the sky, and use the fog! I start with an altitude of around 12 with an intensity of around 12, and adjust to my liking ;)

thanks for that too :0 all this stuff I'm learning!

diomede said:

Here is the start of a different take. 

nice work Diomede, reminds me of a show I saw recently on the Galapagis islands, attenborough went through the island's geological life cycles - a good watch ;

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794

I can't keep up.... olympic proportions here -- awesome stuff