Comments

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    JesterVII said:
    Dollygirl said:
    jeeperz said:
    me too Alexa, that's what I thought

Well I went back and looked at the rules. Music is silent on content that is provided by a software package. I personally think that it should be eligible. It is content that came with a free version of DAZ. Now the Poser content I am not so sure about. I have Debut and it came with 2 or 3 Gig of content. I got Debut free last Dec. I bought PoserPro2010 and got some additional content Debut did not have. So for the Debut content my take is it is a no count. No link but I didn't pay for it. The stuff that came with Poser Pro I would count as paid for because I paid for the software that it came with even though renders with Poser are allowed.

So does that stuff count or not? After reading all the posts I am lost.

that would be a NO, it counts under the misc items that don't count

I dare claim, that is not what the rules say.

tosses a pie to Oom... rules what rules????? no, on a serious note, music did not state that in the rules, but it has been an unwritten rule here for some time

edited December 1969

the thing about the rule is that if it comes with the program you are using it can't count as paid or free because unless others are using the same program, then those that aren't can't use it . that's why the misc category was made, to allow for those things

• Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

jeeperz said:

tosses a pie to Oom... rules what rules????? no, on a serious note, music did not state that in the rules, but it has been an unwritten rule here for some time

I got my pie safe goggles on ;-P

I get the logic behind it, actually I said something like that in last months discussion and was immediately contradicted in every direction possible.
    So if it is a rule, why is it not written down? As it is not written down how are people supposed to know about it? And as there are a lot of unwritten rules, interpenetration of ruling or lack of ruling, exceptions and misunderstandings, why are you so surprised there are a lot of discussion and questions about the rules?

coverHi.jpg
    300 x 225 - 41K
    Post edited by Oom Fooyat on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Seriously do you really think we need 3 or 4 pages of rules to cover every possible situation. As Jeeperz said, we have been running for several years now with a minimum amount of rules. This is one of those things that just goes without saying. If it is not free for everyone then it cannot count towards the freebie count.

Suddenly it seems that everyone wants everything spelt out for them.

I can see this obsession with rules killing the freebie challenge of if we are not careful, which would really be a crying shame.

It has suddenly become less fun as people seem determined to turn it into a mainstream contest, and not our friendly, wild and whacky freebie challenge. We even have a rule that says it has got to be fun, see rule 13. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

know what I have to say about all the whiners cho, *tosses (I mean hands...) her some pies* now lets take care of all the complainers, anyone want to ask ANOTHER question about the rules???* as I hold several pies in my hands and as many if not more in cho's hands?????

edited December 1969

Ok, And with my club I can make them go further if I use it like a bat. Yeehah

edited December 1969

all we need is music now and we can take em all on...

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Seriously do you really think we need 3 or 4 pages of rules to cover every possible situation. As Jeeperz said, we have been running for several years now with a minimum amount of rules. This is one of those things that just goes without saying. If it is not free for everyone then it cannot count towards the freebie count.

I can see this obsession with rules killing the freebie challenge of if we are not careful, which would really be a crying shame.

It has suddenly become less fun as people seem determined to turn it into a mainstream contest, and not our friendly, wild and whacky freebie challenge. We even have a rule that says it has got to be fun, see rule 13. :coolsmirk:

I believe the big grey zone you have created by not having a written rule set is a bigger threat to the challenge.
    You were the on complaining about the all the rule discussions. They are not fun but necessary as it is very hard tell what is right or wrong. The reason that the old ways don't work any more is that a lot of people, like me, wasn't around when the rules that are unwritten were created. We don't know. We can't understand. We were not there. Do you want new people to come here? Then show them some respect. Give them a sporting chance to understand what is going on. Give them rules!

Cheers! Oom

edited December 1969

chohole said:

I believe the big grey zone you have created by not having a written rule set is a bigger threat to the challenge.
    You were the on complaining about the all the rule discussions. They are not fun but necessary as it is very hard tell what is right or wrong. The reason that the old ways don't work any more is that a lot of people, like me, wasn't around when the rules that are unwritten were created. We don't know. We can't understand. We were not there. Do you want new people to come here? Then show them some respect. Give them a sporting chance to understand what is going on. Give them rules!

Cheers! Oom

awe we are just having some fun Oom, *tosses a pie at Oom* we don't mind asking, but when confronted with the answer, some (and I'm not saying you in particular) want to question even further and then want us to change the rules to suit them (again not necessarily you). That is was is annoying. we don't mind answering the question, as cho said, we don't want 3 pages of rules so questions and answers are important, but when given an answer, everyone needs to accept it and move forward, and YES, HAVE FUN. We all come here to have fun, render and learn.

edited December 1969

having fun

Pie_IN_THE_FACE_by_green_watches.jpg
    400 x 307 - 23K
    edited December 1969

yes indeed... :coolgrin:

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

Oh my :roll: such seriousness. Okay where are the renders? I want to see Bryce renders. I don't know how you Brycers do it. I have been loading up some of the free scenes from Sharecg and dang, little ole DAZ is like tinker toys to the Mindstorm legos of Bryce. Much respect to you all. Still slogging through the User's manual.

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    chohole said:

Cheers! Oom

awe we are just having some fun Oom, *tosses a pie at Oom* we don't mind asking, but when confronted with the answer, some (and I'm not saying you in particular) want to question even further and then want us to change the rules to suit them (again not necessarily you). That is was is annoying. we don't mind answering the question, as cho said, we don't want 3 pages of rules so questions and answers are important, but when given an answer, everyone needs to accept it and move forward, and YES, HAVE FUN. We all come here to have fun, render and learn.

So there are no rules there are just the word of the judge?

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    chohole said:

Cheers! Oom

That must mean I get Cho's stick! Oh boy! Oh boy! Yippeee!

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    jeeperz said:
    chohole said:

Cheers! Oom

Were you never issued with one of Music's purple gavels.? they are nearly as good.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Dollygirl said:
    jeeperz said:
    chohole said:

Cheers! Oom

Were you never issued with one of Music's purple gavels.? they are nearly as good.

Nope I be a newbie on the block.

edited December 1969

This ain't fun. I'm going to bed. Good night.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    chohole said:
    Dollygirl said:
    jeeperz said:
    chohole said:

Cheers! Oom

Nope I be a newbie on the block.

Oh dear we will have to ask him to give you one next time he comes on line.

edited July 2012

jeeperz said:
    chohole said:

Cheers! Oom

ok, now I'M confused what is the question again Oom??? no rules only the word of the judge???? WT??????? I don't get the ???
    *tosses some more pies in*

Post edited by jeeperz on
    edited December 1969

I think Oom is just messing with us guys... He can't possibly be serious????? Oom????? HELLOooooooo you are just having fun right??

edited December 1969

sorry to scare everyone off....
    *tosses some more pies into the forum*

• deeleelaw57deeleelaw57 Posts: 1,478
    edited December 1969

Can we add a rule that at least every third pie tossed must be a Hershey chocolate pie.

Any who, there are so many great entries this month I think I will be content with posting a few NAE renders just because they are fun.

NAE

Title: EXTRA EXTRA

Extra_Extra.jpg
    800 x 647 - 376K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098
    edited December 1969

dleelaw57 said:
    Can we add a rule that at least every third pie tossed must be a Hershey chocolate pie.

Any who, there are so many great entries this month I think I will be content with posting a few NAE renders just because they are fun.

NAE

Title: EXTRA EXTRA

I like that one! :lol:

Dana

• JesterVIIJesterVII Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    robkelk said:
    Dollygirl said:
    The render qualifies Jester. Like the story going on and your abilities of creating a story from your renders is improving with each submital. Nice job.
    Lonnie

On first reading, I read that as "... improving with each subliminal."

But we would never use subliminals here... (make a render with Aiko 3!) Would we?

No never! make a render with Apollo

Just Cuase
    this is a NAE with Genesis and the AGU morph, A4, and Genesis with the A3 morph and Apollo

joke.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 698K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317
    edited December 1969

To be honest I'm with Oom the lack of written rules means that for anyone new to the competetion its very confusing, I thought that their was a no post wiork rule but it seems that only applies to some post work, layering of images is ok in some instances but not in others. If I could layer images then I could do more, this is a restraint of my technology not neccassarily skill, layering images to get a particular 'toon' effect is ok though.
    Sorry but the rules seem all over the place, followed by some but not by others, it leaves a sense of unfairness which is a shame as this looks like a fun competetion.

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    I think Oom is just messing with us guys... He can't possibly be serious????? Oom????? HELLOooooooo you are just having fun right??

No, I am serious, very serious. Sorry, to brake rule 13.
    The Freebie Challenge is a wonderful creation, I like it, I support it and I enjoy it and it has been very good to me in many ways.
    The reason I am so interested in the rules is that a want to follow them, I want to do what is right. I have found that it is a very hard thing to do because "right" and "wrong" is constantly shifting. One of the things that was clear to me after last months rule discussion was that the Poser default content was, as by the written rule, a paid item. This month´, by the unwritten rule, the Poser default content is a "no count" and when I ask about that I am told to shut up, be still and have fun because the rules are what you say they are and that is it.

From what I understand, the purpose of the unwritten rules are to make the Challenge more fun. I don't find confusion very amusing still it is the one word that constantly come up when rules are discussed. The majority of the rule discussions I have seen have been about about one of four topics: How to count default content. What defines a paid Item, a freebie and a no count. How to count stuff you make yourself. And the discussions that followed when music decided to enforces the rule about "clearly and completely seen". I think you can cover the first three in less than three pages, more like eight to twelve lines. Those few lines would significantly reduce the confusing rule discussions and actually make this place more fun, at least to me.
    The last one on my list brings up another topic. The written rules are a bit strange at places but I can live with that.

Cheers! Oom

edited December 1969

To be honest I'm with Oom the lack of written rules means that for anyone new to the competetion its very confusing, I thought that their was a no post wiork rule but it seems that only applies to some post work, layering of images is ok in some instances but not in others. If I could layer images then I could do more, this is a restraint of my technology not neccassarily skill, layering images to get a particular 'toon' effect is ok though.
    Sorry but the rules seem all over the place, followed by some but not by others, it leaves a sense of unfairness which is a shame as this looks like a fun competetion.

Rule #4 is quite adamant about postwork. It leaves no doubt that postwork is not allowed, and is not open for interpretation.

edited December 1969

Oom, to try and clarify it a bit. A freebie, as far as the freebie challenge is concerned, is an item that is not only freely avaliable for everyone to download, but can be obtained without spending any money. Hence the reason any figures from Poser are counted as pay for items, because they are only available if you have purchased Poser.

Equally the free items that were given away with DS are not counted because they are ony available to DS users. They can be used, but as non counting items. THere are several different reasons why not everyone uses DS, including the fact that some people do not have computers with sufficient specs to run the app.

Anything that you make yourself is only counted as a freebie as far as the freebie count is concerned if having made it you then make it available for everyone else to also download and use if they want to.

Hope that helps.

edited December 1969

thanks dlee, that made me laugh

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Oom, to try and clarify it a bit. A freebie, as far as the freebie challenge is concerned, is an item that is not only freely avaliable for everyone to download, but can be obtained without spending any money. Hence the reason any figures from Poser are counted as pay for items, because they are only available if you have purchased Poser.

Equally the free items that were given away with DS are not counted because they are ony available to DS users. They can be used, but as non counting items. THere are several different reasons why not everyone uses DS, including the fact that some people do not have computers with sufficient specs to run the app.

Anything that you make yourself is only counted as a freebie as far as the freebie count is concerned if having made it you then make it available for everyone else to also download and use if they want to.

Hope that helps.

It makes sense, but you just contradicted what jeeperz said last night. See my problem?

jeeperz said:
    JesterVII said:
    Dollygirl said:
    me too Alexa, that's what I thought

Well I went back and looked at the rules. Music is silent on content that is provided by a software package. I personally think that it should be eligible. It is content that came with a free version of DAZ. Now the Poser content I am not so sure about. I have Debut and it came with 2 or 3 Gig of content. I got Debut free last Dec. I bought PoserPro2010 and got some additional content Debut did not have. So for the Debut content my take is it is a no count. No link but I didn't pay for it. The stuff that came with Poser Pro I would count as paid for because I paid for the software that it came with even though renders with Poser are allowed.

So does that stuff count or not? After reading all the posts I am lost.

that would be a NO, it counts under the misc items that don't count