Subsurface Shaders... WOW!

JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
edited May 2013 in The Commons

Age Of Armour does it again - just when I thought I'd bought enough this week, along comes these new Subsurface shader packs... oh well, back on the beans, but oh so worth it!

This might actually divert me from my usual approach for a while, these are crying out to get used a lot. Obviously, anything subsurface will increase render times, so don't automatically max everything out until you can see what you need and/or what your machine can handle.

For the attached image, I used gummy on the hair, plastic on the swimsuit, and toon on Genesis (started with default grey Genesis, this is not using other textures)... it looks this good just using the presets, but with a bit of tweaking, this could give some seriously cool results.

I'm pretty gobsmacked, this opens up a completely new look to DAZ Studio renders... wow Wow WOW (OK, I'll sit in a darkened room until I settle down!)

SSS_Toon_Test.jpg
910 x 1500 - 155K
Post edited by Jabba on

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I can see why you're so excited- looks like you had some real fun!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

and it has a great pdf explaining the channels in more detail than Uber Surface has.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Now I badly want my money to arrive earlier than usual... as I'm sure I would like to buy some shaders.

Have to ask though, is it jsut hte single base, and nothing else that comes with the upgrade for 4.6? Or does it come with any colors or any other kind of preset? Haven't been able to check myself yet as my DIM is still installing the Genesis Starter Essentials, so I have to wait to go into Daz and look :)

When I did take a fast look in Daz before starting the DIM I only saw a single base, but I guess that IF (which I don't expect, but still partly hope for) there is any presets/material colors or such it will come with Dim. Hence why I'm asking, my curiosity is killing me :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

The update is still downloading for me, but the product page mentions only the one .duf file so I doubt there are any additional presets. No doubt people will soon be sharing their custom settings, at least for things that aren't covered in the expansion sets.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

No nothing extra included. There are actually a dsf and a couple of other things that I wasn't expecting. It's a sprawling Shader Mixer network (I saw a brick number 98 o_O), pretty interesting, and it explains why I never got anything really translucent out of the SSS brick.

edited December 1969

Thought it would be like that, was worth to ask atleast *smiles* I think I need to go rob a bank soon *laughs* too much that I want to buy, and all at the same time :) Thanks for the answers guys *hugs*

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,308
    edited May 2013

wow only begins to describe it. look at the gummy and plastic. Can't wait to try them out. Excellent job AoA

gummypromo3.jpg
    350 x 455 - 41K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,309
    edited December 1969

Could someone please post information or images of the '12 Expression and Shaping Morphs' that come with the Toon Shader presets,
    thank you

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Oh, I haven't even looked for that yet Scorpio - I've been too busy playing around (I'm supposed to be working on something, but having too much fun with these!), although these ones are simply using default settings...

Toon_Behemoth.jpg
    1600 x 818 - 203K
    Cute_Drossel.jpg
    1079 x 900 - 210K
    edited December 1969

Could someone please post information or images of the '12 Expression and Shaping Morphs' that come with the Toon Shader presets,
    thank you
    Aha, the poses relate to the toon eyebrows that come with the shaders
    Capture.JPG
    1866 x 866 - 130K
  • Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

I nabbed all three of the new shaders. Can't wait to see what they do.

Not to derail this thread but does anyone know what hair is in this shader? I think it's Jazlyn's hair but I am not sure.

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/subsurface-toon-shaders

edited December 1969

Yeah mate, looks like Jazlyn Hair to me too

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I look forward to playing with these new shaders! After I back up all of my DAZ files. And install the new version. And perform a ritual sacrifice in order to insure that everything I cared about in the old version still works in the new.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    Yeah mate, looks like Jazlyn Hair to me too

Thanks!

• Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I really hope you enjoy the shader and presets.

I wasn't expecting these to be released today or I would have replied earlier. Last I heard from DAZ was "Soon" so I was expecting some time next year haha. I joke... DAZ has really improved about getting things done.

Thanks for starting the thread and sharing your renders Jabba101. I love those bot renders!

I nabbed all three of the new shaders. Can't wait to see what they do.

Not to derail this thread but does anyone know what hair is in this shader? I think it's Jazlyn's hair but I am not sure.

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/subsurface-toon-shaders

Yep, that it Jazlyn's hair. The various hair figures from 3d Universe's latest releases really work well with the SSS because many of them have volume. You can use the shader on things without volume but you might need to use the flip normals switch.

Could someone please post information or images of the ‘12 Expression and Shaping Morphs’ that come with the Toon Shader presets,
    thank you

Those are the eyebrow expression presets and some eye and eyelash morphs. Nothing too exciting really. I hope the product page didn't come off as making too much out of the morphs.

My sincerest thanks to everyone for your support,

William

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

These look good!
    I just bought the Subsurface Toon Shaders and Subsurface Gummy & Plastic Shaders.
    Noticed in the promo for the Subsurface Base Shader, there was a pic showing Human skin and said preset not included.
    Is there a preset for Human skin in the Two new shader packs or is that something different?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,309
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info Age of Armour.
    Are you planning on releasing any Presets for realistic skin, I'd be really interested in those.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,044
    edited December 1969

Yes I'd want those, and settings for different skin tones.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I practically collect shaders, and own virtually every major shader currently available. Naturally, given that the recent Subsurface shaders were supplied with Daz 4.6 I was curious as to what they could add to my arsenal. Grabbing these presets showed me exactly what they add, and I was not disappointed.

Firstly, let me say that this is probably one of the few shaders I've used which seems to have genuine translucency. In the image I'm about to post there is evidence of colour bleeding, and portions of other shaded objects are clearly visible through the translucent objects. UberSurface2's translucency doesn't do this, nor does pwSurface2 shaders, so this was quite a big improvement already.

Naturally, as the shaders include toon shaders and gummy shaders, I had to do something which incorporated both into it. Hence I give you Candy Girl! For the curious minds, I've posted both plain and postworked renders so you can better see what the shaders are capable of.

Those presets were worth every penny. Thanks AoA!

Candy_Girl.png
    1000 x 1000 - 735K
    Candy_Girl.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

fusionla said:
    These look good!
    I just bought the Subsurface Toon Shaders and Subsurface Gummy & Plastic Shaders.
    Noticed in the promo for the Subsurface Base Shader, there was a pic showing Human skin and said preset not included.
    Is there a preset for Human skin in the Two new shader packs or is that something different?

That render was one of many tests to make sure the shader would work well under more realistic situations. It uses my shader but the textures from M5. Because it is reliant on those textures it is not included in any of my sets but I'm thinking some skin presets with realism in mind will be appearing before too long.

edited May 2013

.... but I'm thinking some skin presets with realism in mind will be appearing before too long.

Yay so happy to hear that :)

Post edited by Carola O on
    edited December 1969

How fun Herald of Fire!

What a great image! You're fast too... It always seems to take me all day to set up a render. I think it is just that I had done hundreds and hundreds of test renders while making the shader and presets. By the time I was ready to do product shots I started running out of ideas haha.

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

fusionla said:
    These look good!

That render was one of many tests to make sure the shader would work well under more realistic situations. It uses my shader but the textures from M5. Because it is reliant on those textures it is not included in any of my sets but I'm thinking some skin presets with realism in mind will be appearing before too long.

Realistic human skin presets would be a welcome and instant buy for me!
    I been trying to learn to use the Luxus plugin for LuxRender to get realisim with varying results (auto-convert still needs work on Spec channel), but these shaders have me looking at 3delight again.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

How fun Herald of Fire!

What a great image! You're fast too... It always seems to take me all day to set up a render. I think it is just that I had done hundreds and hundreds of test renders while making the shader and presets. By the time I was ready to do product shots I started running out of ideas haha.

The presets gave me the inspiration actually. I'd also recently purchased the stand which included the gummy wall behind her. I hid the rubble and floor tiles and gave the base another gummy shader with added sugar. It just made sense to me to use a gummy shader on an actual gummy. I had the props thanks to 'awesomefb' on the forums, which by default are white since they used incompatible Poser shaders, so the shaders gave them an excellent appearance, perfectly matching what I wanted.

It's rare I can just click on a shader and have it just work, so I'm absolutely blown away by this new set.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Superb render HOF, looks like you had fun as it comes out in the colour...

AOA the shader mixer wizard to the rescue...great PDF btw...thank you so much you explained things so much better and concise than others have tried to explain barring on other around here...some very nice Russian person. ;) It think these are exciting times for Daz Studio..

• SiddDSiddD Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

glad to hear there will be realistic skin shaders! WONDERFUL Toon shaders in cart! excellent work AoA!!

• HoppittyHoppitty Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

Awesome shaders, having fun with the gummies!

gummies1a.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Oh! I can't believe I didn't mention this in my first post... I want to thank Dimension Theory for prompting me to make the shader and for all his wonderful suggestions and observations.

I'm so glad people are finding them easy to use. The fact that SSS reacts so heavily to scale, lights and grouping I was a bit worried they would be hard to use out of the box.

HeraldOfFire mentioned the SS based translucency. Here is an early test render I sent DAZ showing the effect.

Transluscency_04Mar13c.jpg
    936 x 686 - 36K
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

I just found out about this. Can't wait to try!
    Thanks!

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505
    edited December 1969

You're already a Studio SSS god Hellboy, I can only wonder what you'll do with this new shader. ;)