Luxus discussion

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

MarcCCTx said:
    Mattymanx said:
    Use the gui, turn the tonemapping to Linear, and adjust the light groups while it renders.

One of the Lux developers commented on the Light groups in Lux and basically stated that they are there for two main reasons

1. So you can see how much you need to increase or decrease the gain on your lights in your exporter. The Increasing or decreasing their values in the Lux GUI does not make them cast more or less light.

2. Once you have done the step above and made your changes in the exporter, you can group ALL your lights together and it will use less memeory in LuxRender that way.

Well, it seems to be working. I'll let it go while I'm at work. This is very cool, I don't understand how it can make such drastic changes on the fly, but it does!

Does it matter how far along the render is, if I want to tweak the light groups some more?

Does not matter how far along it is. The Lux GUI will let you make the adjustments on the fly.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,875
    edited March 2013

It looks like Luxus or LuxRender does not support double sided materials or am I missing something?
    Below is a render of Victoria 5 wearing coat from Dragon Queen for Genesis Female - DrQueenCape
    http://www.daz3d.com/dragon-queen-for-genesis-female
    with materials from
    Dragon Witches for Dragon Queen - 04_Cape
    http://www.daz3d.com/dragon-witches-for-dragon-queen
    The second image show a fragment of the cape rendered in Daz Studio 4.5 Pro.

V5Nichole07pic01gim01.jpg
    410 x 327 - 63K
    V5Nichole08Lux149_95Sp26m.jpg
    750 x 970 - 282K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    MarcCCTx said:
    Mattymanx said:
    Use the gui, turn the tonemapping to Linear, and adjust the light groups while it renders.

One of the Lux developers commented on the Light groups in Lux and basically stated that they are there for two main reasons

1. So you can see how much you need to increase or decrease the gain on your lights in your exporter. The Increasing or decreasing their values in the Lux GUI does not make them cast more or less light.

2. Once you have done the step above and made your changes in the exporter, you can group ALL your lights together and it will use less memeory in LuxRender that way.

Well, it seems to be working. I'll let it go while I'm at work. This is very cool, I don't understand how it can make such drastic changes on the fly, but it does!

Does it matter how far along the render is, if I want to tweak the light groups some more?

Does not matter how far along it is. The Lux GUI will let you make the adjustments on the fly.
    If you save the flm file, you can still make adjustments after rendering. Just reload your flm and adjust to your liking. Love that :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

The update to Luxus, version 1.0.0.3 is available for download in your accounts.

The following fixes made it into this release.
    * tiling is fixed. Just use the tiling in the studio parameters.
    * one light group per material. For when a single object has 2 light emitting materials.
    * default sampler is now metropolis
    * write flm option added and defaults to on
    * premultiply alpha added for alpha backgrounds and defaults to off.
    * gonomtric (IES) file, save file dialog as changed to open fiele dialog
    * SurfaceIntegrator “sppm” otion added
    * mitchell filter B and C are now written out

Not showing up in DIM for me yet. BUT if I go to My Downloadable Products and click on the main installer it's showing at 1003 but the content is still showing at 1002. Is that right? If so I'll just get the main update and install it myself. Thanks

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    The update to Luxus, version 1.0.0.3 is available for download in your accounts.

* one light group per material. For when a single object has 2 light emitting materials.

Not showing up in DIM for me yet. BUT if I go to My Downloadable Products and click on the main installer it's showing at 1003 but the content is still showing at 1002. Is that right? If so I'll just get the main update and install it myself. Thanks

DIM won't install plugins, the content is not up to 1003.

you have to do manual download and install.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

The DIM won't install applications or plugins so you have to update those manually.

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited March 2013

Only the plugin has changed, the content is still the same.

You will have to download and install the plugin ye olde way, DIM doesn't do plugins, only content.

PS D'Ya think after 3 replies RAM will get the message? :)

Post edited by willowfan on
    edited December 1969

IIRC Lux was included in the initial DIM download and installation of the product. Oh, I see now.... it downloaded just the Luxus Content after doing a quick search in the DIM download folder. Okey dokey!

edited December 1969

Re: the whole Gamma Correction discussion..

this is after 30 minutes or so (still noisy)

texture gamma 2.2

Auto-Linear Gamma and Film response, Gamma 2.2

it looks a bit washed out. probably from the white walls and floor

d15b.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 36K
  • MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited March 2013

I did a transparency test using four or five different LaceMaker laces, all with transparency maps. As you can see, all of them worked well. These are all default DS shaders. My guess is that any transparency issues might arise with non default DS shaders/surfaces such as Uber Surface and HSS.

luxlace.jpg
    600 x 780 - 139K
    Post edited by Marieah on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited March 2013

I used the "Sun and Sky2 - Dusk" light, and added slight colour adjustment and some bloom on-the-fly while it was rendering...

MadMaxxed.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 625K
    Post edited by Jabba on
  • SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Very cool people.

The Gamma things has me a little confused, but I will get to the bottom of it.

Not that I can control this nor would I want to. I know this may come across as a strange request, but I am a big fan of credit where credit is due. Luxus really does not deserve the credit for your renders. LuxRender does. Maybe watermark them with LuxRender instead?

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    It looks like Luxus or LuxRender does not support double sided materials or am I missing something?
    Below is a render of Victoria 5 wearing coat from Dragon Queen for Genesis Female - DrQueenCape
    http://www.daz3d.com/dragon-queen-for-genesis-female
    with materials from
    Dragon Witches for Dragon Queen - 04_Cape
    http://www.daz3d.com/dragon-witches-for-dragon-queen
    The second image show a fragment of the cape rendered in Daz Studio 4.5 Pro.

I am thinking more accurate lighting? Looks like it is in shadow.

edited December 1969

MarcCCTx said:
    Mattymanx said:

As best as I know how to explain it. The film, like the film to take a photograph at the back of the camera collects all the photons. This is how you get what color each pixel is. Well, LuxRender will use one film per light group. Then LuxRender will combine all of them together at the end. If you add all the photons on one film or combine multiple films later, it gives the same exact result. With combining them later, you can control during render how much each light group factors in.

There the memory requirements for the extra films, but this is insignificant compared to the size of the models and textures we are dealing with here.

edited December 1969

Very cool people.

Not that I can control this nor would I want to. I know this may come across as a strange request, but I am a big fan of credit where credit is due. Luxus really does not deserve the credit for your renders. LuxRender does. Maybe watermark them with LuxRender instead?

Is a luxrender watermark available somewhere? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

edited December 1969

Very cool people.

Is a luxrender watermark available somewhere? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Perhaps the logo on their website?
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/index

edited December 1969

ok I think I am getting a handle on this gamma thing.

d16b.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 33K
    edited December 1969

Very cool people.

Smart butt. ;)

I looked there; nothing popped out.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

try this...

Luxrenderlogo.png
    500 x 111 - 11K
  • ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Very cool people.

Smart butt. ;)

I looked there; nothing popped out.

The wiki has the Luxrenderer logo source:
    Luxrenderer Logo Links

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Looking good, Rareth.

Regarding the crashes in hybrid mode we discussed earlier, i've been experiencing them as well.
    With the help of JimmyC_2009 i was able to narrow it down to a combination of using area lights and the sampler used. Setting the sampler to 'random' instead of 'metropolis' (or the other ones available) solved that for me.
    Not sure if that'll work for you as well, but it might be worth trying.

edited December 1969

Had some fun with the logo in XaraX ....

LuxRenderLogo.png
    445 x 110 - 25K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Looking good, Rareth.

Regarding the crashes in hybrid mode we discussed earlier, i've been experiencing them as well.
    With the help of JimmyC_2009 i was able to narrow it down to a combination of using area lights and the sampler used. Setting the sampler to 'random' instead of 'metropolis' (or the other ones available) solved that for me.
    Not sure if that'll work for you as well, but it might be worth trying.

I'll give that a try thanks.

• SilverhurstSilverhurst Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Here is my go at a couple of watermarks for you:

Luxus_Watermark_Black.png
    347 x 92 - 5K
    Luxus_Watermark_White.png
    347 x 92 - 6K
    edited December 1969

I like them all. Out of respect for DAZ, I think DazStudio should be DAZ Studio

• NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

Not sure what I am not doing right, but "out of the box" I set up an outdoor scene and when sent to luxus it renders blue, this is with all default settings. I tried changing many of the setting with no real change other than being able to change the hue in the luxrender rendering window. The lighting I used was the blue sky and distant light.

edited December 1969

nreed said:
    Not sure what I am not doing right, but "out of the box" I set up an outdoor scene and when sent to luxus it renders blue, this is with all default settings. I tried changing many of the setting with no real change other than being able to change the hue in the luxrender rendering window. The lighting I used was the blue sky and distant light.

if you put a sphere in the scene, do you see that?

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    I did a transparency test using four or five different LaceMaker laces, all with transparency maps. As you can see, all of them worked well. These are all default DS shaders. My guess is that any transparency issues might arise with non default DS shaders/surfaces such as Uber Surface and HSS.

Marieah, good render.
    Once I get past trying to learn the technical stuff, I can start posting renders.
    During March Madness pretty much bough all of your products! (wallet hurting now:))
  • FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Very cool people.

Yes this has me confused also,
    I see multiple gamma setting in Luxus and don't know which ones suppose to be changed from 1 to 2.2.
    So far just comparing renders from Luxus and Reality:
    I like that with Luxus even when you don't add a light to the scene it creates one in LuxRender (guessing a distant light).
    Luxus does better and not seem to make the eyes hazy/white like some of the character tests I have done with Reality (sure its a material setting).

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

fusionla said:
    Marieah said:

Marieah, good render.
    Once I get past trying to learn the technical stuff, I can start posting renders.
    During March Madness pretty much bough all of your products! (wallet hurting now:))

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. I hope you enjoy the products.

My last render is a materials test rather than an attempt to produce anything decent. Don't let the tech stuff slow you down. Just jump straight in and make a break for it. Anything you really need to know will trip you over. :-)

This discussion has been closed.