Converting to G1, G2, G3, G8 & G9

Comments

• surprise  This is incredible, GiGi_7!  Thank you, so much, for all the work you put into this amazing resource!  heart

• surprise  This is incredible, GiGi_7!  Thank you, so much, for all the work you put into this amazing resource!  heart

Thanks. I am just now working with diagrams for summary of conversions.

• The questions about hair and inverse conversion path from the old thread in the attachment

pdf
    pdf
    from conversion thread hair.pdf
    1M
  • martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,343
    edited April 2017

Paths

Towards that figure you want to go? Goin to Figure A to Figure B in a conversion is not a single step. This is the summary of possible paths to achieve conversion tasks.

Clothes

Genesis is the bridge towards old or other figures.

Skins

There are two approaches:

1) UV+Geografts: Cayman Studios scripts

2) Baking textures: using Blacksmith Pro 6 or BS Texture Converter, or free J-Cade tutoria with blender

Poses

Morphs

Using GenX2 or Kattey tutorial.

clo2.PNG
    960 x 720 - 140K
    mr1.PNG
    960 x 720 - 116K
    ps1.PNG
    960 x 720 - 126K
    relations 2017 04 ABR clothe.png
    960 x 720 - 157K
    relations 2017 04 ABR skins.png
    960 x 720 - 131K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited July 2017

Hair Improvements

3DL

Iray

UHT Hair Shaders for Iray

UHT2: Ultimate Color

UHT2: Fantasy Colors

edited June 2016

Tips for Hair

Parent or Conforming?

Pros:

Cons:

For no conforming hairs to G1&G2;
    Problem: morphs in hair are lost

RAMWorks Tutorials: PP2 and HR2 to figure…:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/103003/

For conforming and no conforming hairs to G1&G2; without loosing morphs

Parent hair to figure and scale when it is needed. Hairs for V4 parent very well to G2F, and I suppose for M4 and G2M equal.
    Some V4 hairs have fits for another figures or shapes like A4, G4, even previous generations. With morph loader and scaling is possible to create new mophs for fit to other extreme figures like Aiko 6, Fiend Forever and so.

• emms54emms54 Posts: 41

Hi,

Thanks for the list.

i bookmark for sure.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

Have you considered making a document version of this?

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited February 2016

Thank you ... very comprehensive. Should be a sticky.

By the way ... what is "CS" in the Skins path?

Post edited by marble on
  • HeavyRayHeavyRay Posts: 170

wow - Thank YOU!!!!!
    so much good info... heck, you had me at the part (memory lane) where you chronicled the Daz family tree from the Dark Ages... - Ray

•  

Have you considered making a document version of this?

Yes, there is a document in process. But I'm the living indecision and I change  from an editor to another, but i don't find a satisfactory tool.

marble said:

Thank you ... very comprehensive. Should be a sticky.

By the way ... what is "CS" in the Skins path?

Thanks. CS = Cayman Studio (Legacy UV)

HeavyRay said:

so much good info...

Thanks. And the conversion parts even are pending. This need to growth more.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

In the skins section you left out the tutorial put together by j cade, using Blender to do the conversion.  It can readily be adapted to any generation that you can have a shape for.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59665/tutorial-converting-textures-from-gen2-to-gen3/p1

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Love this!!! I'm still pulling my hair out trying to get head morphs from V4 and M4 over to Genesis 2. I own so much of what you have listed, and am still learning how to use it all. Great info and great tutorials! Thanks so much for putting this together!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Adding a +1 to this being stickied. And they should pay you. You put more time and effort into this than any Daz Employee, that's for sure. Very organized, with graphics. 

• mjc1016 said:

In the skins section you left out the tutorial put together by j cade, using Blender to do the conversion.  It can readily be adapted to any generation that you can have a shape for.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59665/tutorial-converting-textures-from-gen2-to-gen3/p1

Yes, thanks for advice. I will add this in appropriated places and highlight the credit for J-Cade.  I link this only in the g2 to g3 section, because my poor understanding of the process and its scope.

Llynara said:

Thanks so much for putting this together!

There are a lot of great tutorials in the forum it is a pity that these can't be centralized

Novica said:

Very organized, with graphics. 

They should pay to Kattey, Scott, J-cade, etc.

At risk of being repetitive I create the graphics for a better understanding and fast guide. I hope this can be useful.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

I'm new to Daz Studio and 3D art and find all of this very facinating. It's a lot to go over but I hope to learn more about this artform as well as maybe learn how to convert older figures to newer ones. I've been finding a lot of freebies but they are mostly V4 and Genesis 1 figures. So if I could learn how to convert them to G2 or G3 that would be great! :)

• trhancocktrhancock Posts: 37

Thank you GiGi !

A massive list of conversions etc, so well organised, and probably as comprehensive as it gets at present! That is, until we get such things as the Dimension3D's G3M/F add-on to GenX2, when I am sure you will be busy again adding this into the conversion options!

Such a lot of research! Well done GiGi, everyone needs to know about this page! (Hint to readers: please consider putting links to this page in strategic places around the DAZ world.)

As for myself, I have some Mil3 figures, lots of Mil4 figures and clothing, and lots of G1/G2 - I have almost stopped there, I just have some basics for G3 as I don't want to repeat all my spending on this newer version.

I already have GenX2 plus recently TC2 from a sale (both with relevant figure options), also some of the other tools you mention.

So I am looking forward to following these guidelines and bringing "life" to my old DAZ figures! (Hopefully to standardise on G2, with some G1 and a bit of G3 where necessary.)

Thanks again,

Trevor

• AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,726

Uhhh, question....

(timidly raises hand in the back of the classroom)

...Are we going to be tested on this!? surprise

Jokes aside, this is excellent material. And yes, this should be documented. Bookmarked!

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Has anybody seen this morph conversion tool for V4 and G2 to G3? In the absense of a GenX update for G3, maybe this could help. The item is sold on DeviantArt, and there is one small NSFW pic at the bottom of the description. The item is $25, and requires Windows 7 or newer along with the .NET Framework. You basically export a V4 or G2 figure to object, run the tool on that object, and then import the updated object back to Daz through the Morph Loader. Most of the comments on DA are positive.

http://darkhound1.deviantart.com/art/Legacy-to-Gen3-morph-converter-1-0-buy-it-here-589021408

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Oh my gosh THANK YOU!  Especially for the pictures.  I know that sounds silly but it will be so much easier to follow along with a visual of everything

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899

OMG!!  I never knew this thread existed!!  Talk about an everything-you-need-to-know thread!!  So many thanks for this!  I own a good majority of these tools listed, but now have a central location for what to use and when.  Simply amazing!  yes

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I don't know if adding another voice to the volume will help, but - at the risk of sounding like an echo - I think this should be a stickied thread too.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

GiGi for president ;)

- Greg

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923

Excellent work, GiGi_7!!! This is just amazing! yesyesyes

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Has anybody seen this morph conversion tool for V4 and G2 to G3? In the absense of a GenX update for G3, maybe this could help. The item is sold on DeviantArt, and there is one small NSFW pic at the bottom of the description. The item is $25, and requires Windows 7 or newer along with the .NET Framework. You basically export a V4 or G2 figure to object, run the tool on that object, and then import the updated object back to Daz through the Morph Loader. Most of the comments on DA are positive.

http://darkhound1.deviantart.com/art/Legacy-to-Gen3-morph-converter-1-0-buy-it-here-589021408

Does anybody know, if it is possible to buy that converter without having account/ DApoints at Deviant Art?

Artini said:

Does anybody know, if it is possible to buy that converter without having account/ DApoints at Deviant Art?

He will accept PayPal as payment, but that still requires contacting him through Deviant, which of course requires a Deviant account. I just want to know if anybody here has used it. I've seen talk of it on DA, but I've never seen anyone mention it here. I can't be the only person from this forum who's seen it.
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

It was already mentioned in some other thread here, but I do not remember, which one was that.

Artini said:

It was already mentioned in some other thread here, but I do not remember, which one was that.

Well that seems odd to me, because so many people are waiting for a new version of GenX or something, anything that can convert g2 or v4 morphs to g3. There are people holding off on migrating to G3 because of GenX, including me. Yet this almost never comes up in those discussions. I would have thought users would be talking a whole lot more about this thing.

• Artini said:

Well that seems odd to me, because so many people are waiting for a new version of GenX or something, anything that can convert g2 or v4 morphs to g3. There are people holding off on migrating to G3 because of GenX, including me. Yet this almost never comes up in those discussions. I would have thought users would be talking a whole lot more about this thing.

I see GenX2 like a more solid product with a very reliable vendor in the DAZ Store. Zero % of risk, almost 100% of performance. Then, few space for another, not so clear, product.

edited June 2016

Thanks, all!

@Ice Dragon Art: It's not silly. Visual people needs visual information, a river of long links are boring and avoid information being fixed in the brain.

@algovincian: hohohohoho!, :)

The D3D Day comes! 

I have a lot of work delayed:

• New figures
    • Easy graphic or draw for explain relation between UV and mesh
    • D3D, Cayman Studio and Zev0 new tools
    • New Iray skin and hair enhancer
    • Are there 3DL skin and hair general enhancer?