Carrara Challenge #18: Graphic Novel - WIP Thread NOW OPEN

124»

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,832
    de3an said:

NOTE:

Apparently the forum's missing images problem has been solved. However, images posted since the switch to the new forum have been lost. So any WIPs posted since the 7th are gone.

see:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59118/image-attachments-fix-and-error

I'm getting some broken links for images posted before the 7th as well, looks like the gremlins are affecting the change-over.

Also posting a second entry, got a few issues with the M4 bodysuit which I need to fix up before It gets to being a serious entry.

Vanguard Scene1.png
    1950 x 1463 - 1M
  • a final look 

omce more {8^{(>

tartarus1final no border small.jpg
    2000 x 1282 - 677K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited July 2015

The Entry Thread is NOW OPEN for your final images: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59150

You still have until the 18th to create and post your entries before voting begins and this thread remains open for WIP and discussion.

Dates to Remember
    Entry Thread Opens: Saturday, 11 July 2015
    Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Saturday, 18 July 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
    Voting Ends: Saturday, 25 July 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited July 2015
    MDO2010 said:

The Entry Thread is NOW OPEN for your final images: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59150/carrara-challenge-18-graphic-novel-entry-thread-now-open

You still have until the 18th to create and post your entries before voting begins and this thread remains open for WIP and discussion.

Dates to Remember

We may need some help on posting to a WIP with the new forum. 

Edit:  Looks like if you right click on the date on the left and open in new tab, it takes you to a different format:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/849681/#Comment_849681

Post edited by ncamp on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Clicking normally on a  time stamp gives you a simple link to that post   http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/859877/#Comment_859877

Chohole said:

Clicking normally on a  time stamp gives you a simple link to that post   http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/859877/#Comment_859877

I added a note about this to the Entry Thread in case anyone gets there and doesn't know it yet. smiley 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

I'm not really ready for another WIP, but I want to test a couple of things related to posting to the forum.  Expect strange fonts in this post.  So, the basic mesh of the scifi hero has been formed.  Any more detail will be added with morphs and shaders, not additional polygons.  I've had a chance to add some basics to Brash Ramagan, Interstellar Marshall.  He has hair befitting a toon render, although I wil probably be mixing toon with non-photorealistic brush stroke.  He now has ears with the correct edge flow that I can get the 9Y shape.  I've also given him a scifi Marshall costume.  The new mesh has a placeholder morph area and sample morph so I can morph in the posed position. 

So, I am attemtping to attach 3 images

• 1 - the assembly room with the bone structure showing Brash rigged
    • 2 - the vertex modeling room with animaiton tab checked to show morphing in the posed position
    • 3- a render of Brash (unmorphed) reaching for a dooknob

Hope the images show up, athough there is still plenty of time.

j2 Brash Ramagan Rigged.JPG
    1318 x 995 - 193K
    J2 Brash Morph in the Posed Position.JPG
    967 x 966 - 125K
    J2 Brash Render cartoon.jpg
    900 x 675 - 26K

The red, italics, and bold fonts showed up, as well as the inserted horizontal line and the bulleted list. Once we get the attachment hiccups sorted out, I think I am going to like the new forum format.

Reminder to get your entries ready.

Here is another work in progress.

WIP to advance thread.jpg
    850 x 1100 - 227K
    edited July 2015
    MDO2010 said:

The Entry Thread is NOW OPEN for your final images: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59150

Dates to Remember

About 10.5 hours left to post your entry to the entry thread before it closes and voting opens! 

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Trying to get something together

• redhorseredhorse Posts: 83

Here are some bits and pieces of my entry and some other items showing a comic/graphic novel-style technique I've been working on for a little while.

1. From Carrara, render the characters normally with an alpha channel so they can easily be cut-out in Photoshop (Characters-Raw.png)

2. Then, using the non-photorealistic renderer, render the outlines of the characters (Outlines.png)

3. Use the Topaz Clean Photoshop plugin to "posterize" the image, giving it more of a flat, painted appearance (Characters-Clean.png)

4. Overlay the outline render on top of the characters

5. Use the Artshop Pen & Ink Artist Photoshop plugin to add the comic style shading to the diffuse layer (Characters-PenAndInk.png)

By playing around with the various parameters, it is possible to create a wide variety of comic/graphic novel styles (ConnorMcLiam1.png) that aren't too far from the real thing.

For my entry, I will overlay the final characters onto a background built and rendered separately in Carrara and postworked using a similar workflow.

Characters-Raw.png
    960 x 600 - 300K
    Outlines.png
    960 x 600 - 231K
    Characters-Clean.png
    960 x 600 - 261K
    Characters-PenAndInk.png
    960 x 600 - 363K
    ConnorMcLiam1.png
    250 x 500 - 199K

Looks great.  Thanks for the explanation.  I especially love anyone who finds uses for the non-photorealistic renderer.

Oh, and your entry should be number 6 in the entry thread, not number one.  I know it can be confusing because in some other challenges the entry is the person/submission, such as Diomede/1st even if Diomede's entry is the 12th.  Here, it would be 12, not Diomede - 1.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited July 2015

Here is the WIP for my entry.

I used the toon 3 Filter and the Photorealistic renderer in Carrara to put it out.

Then added text in With Photoshop.

jpg
    jpg
    Carrara toon 3 set up.jpg
    Carrara toon 3 set up.jpg
    1920 x 1033 - 541K
    Post edited by chickenman on
  • redhorseredhorse Posts: 83
    diomede said:

Oh, and your entry should be number 6 in the entry thread, not number one.  I know it can be confusing because in some other challenges the entry is the person/submission, such as Diomede/1st even if Diomede's entry is the 12th.  Here, it would be 12, not Diomede - 1.

Thanks!  Fixed it.

edited July 2015

The entry thread is now closed and VOTING IS OPEN!

The Voting Thread is at: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59150

Also, FYI, if you had this thread or the entry thread bookmarked, when I change the name of the thread it will break that bookmark.  To fix it, just remove everything after "forums/discussion/#####" and the bookmark will continue to work.  For example: change  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59150/carrara-challenge-18-graphic-novel-entry-thread-now-open to just http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59150.

MDO2010 said:

Entries are now closed and VOTING IS NOW OPEN!

I don't see that anyone self-identified as a "new" Carrara user so I guess we will give the $10 prize for the usual "Honorable Mention" instead.

Voting Rules:

1. Anyone with a DAZ3D account can vote
    2. Please vote for three entries and an honorable mention.  
    3. Order does not matter - so do not list a "1st," "2nd," etc. just give your three votes and your honorable mention vote
    4. In the event of a tie for the top three places the higher prize will go to the person with the most honorable mention votes; if ties persist after looking at that then I will reopen voting for a tie-breaker between just the tied entries
    5. Anonymous votes will be accepted with good reason (e.g. forum moderators who do not want to give an impression of bias) via private message
    6. Voting will remain open until Saturday, 25 July 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

There are just a bit more than 12 hours left to vote! 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59150

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

Thank you so much to everyone who participated, entered and voted and a big thank you once again to DAZ for their ongoing support.

And our winners are....

1st Place Stezza for Sword of Tristam

2nd Place redhorse for Archangel Chronicles: The Amalgamation Wars

3rd Place diomede for Brash Lonergan: Interstellar Marshall

and Honorable Mention goes to ncamp for New Career

I will be in touch with the winners within the next day or so via site messaging about the awarding of prizes, so please keep an eye out for that message (look in Inbox under your user name when you click on the little gear in the upper right corner of the forum).

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251

Congratulations to the winners and participants! Super job everyone!

Before the lights are completely turned out on this thread, I want to share the single panel I was able to put together. Sadly, it was way too late to enter. Main image shaders and rendering done with the Toon! Pro plugin by Digital Carvers Guild. Background sky made in photoshop with Ron's Explosions and a comic filters from FilterForge.

I kitbashed the heck out of several items and managed to make a pretty convincing doughboy (doughgirl in this case) uniform for what was supposed to be my main character. The sources are listed on the attached image.

Trench-view.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 698K
    WW1_doughgirl_items.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 204K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,838

sukyl, awesome... out of the trenches.. commemorating 100 years?

Thanks Stezza. Congratulations to you. Loved your entry.

I have an interest in WW1 through studying film, literature, and art of the German Weimar period, especially how the war's horrificness influenced many of my favorite artists. And, I think it's important not to forget something so horrible. Maybe, someday, we'll learn a lesson from it. I hope I can make it to France next year in time for the centenary of the Battle of the Somme. Not likely, but hoping.

Wow, SukyL, that is fantastic.  You did a great job of creating your soldier.  I wish you had been able to get your entry in on time.  Getting to see a WIP like this is why I think it is so great to have a separate WIP thread.  I love the diagram of all of the components.  I am always learning.  Thank you.  I'd love to see further updates if you get the time.

And, as long as I am on the subject, there are quite a few WIPs in this thread but the artists did not have time to enter the final image. The entry thread does not show a complete picture of all of the great work that the challenge themes help inspire.  I hope other folks take the time to peruse some of these great efforts. 

On a personal note - these time conflicts for SukyL, Varsel, and so many others allowed me to get a $25 Daz gift certificate, so I appreciate it.

edited July 2015

Thanks Diomede.

You really nailed the theme with your entry. You tell a story well both visually and in writing. You communicated so much information and created a very strong sense of adventure in very little space. I was hooked and searching for the next page button. Well done!

Your modeling and NPR rendering not too shabby either! wink

Post edited by sukyL on

Hi all,

Due to personal circumstances, Stezza has withdrawn his winning entry (see his post here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/871096/#Comment_871096) and will be unable to host the next challenge. So we now need a host of the next challenge - if you are interested, please let me know in the entry thread or by site messaging.

Thank you,

Mark (MDO2010)