WHERE ARE ALL THE OLD THREADS???

I am sooooo irratated I need to find a very important tutorial and daz somehow messed up the forum because all the threads I need are now gone!!!

Fiddling with Iray skin setting : www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthrea…
Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part III : www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthrea…
Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthrea… - especially the work of Mec4d on this shader.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,905
    edited July 2015
    JRC1334 said:

I am sooooo irratated I need to find a very important tutorial and daz somehow messed up the forum because all the threads I need are now gone!!!

Fiddling with Iray skin setting : http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoing?http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54239
    Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part III : http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoing?http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54734/P1350
    Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoing?http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54734/P1350

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I am bored

but yeah as said several places in all the discussions replace viewthread with discussion in url. needs to be stickied in help thread

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2015
    Post edited by Chohole on

ah odd how I got DA redirect in my link edits

if you have an existing bookmark for a thread Take the URL  and swap 'discussion' for 'viewthread' and it should 'fix' the broken link.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994

I must say I really dislike this new forum format - it looks horrible now and I find it much harder to use. What was the rationale behind this change, does anyone know?

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2015
    tl155180 said:

I must say I really dislike this new forum format - it looks horrible now and I find it much harder to use. What was the rationale behind this change, does anyone know?

the new format sucks. Less information per page, for the sake of looking pretty (in theory it looks pretty to someone)

And again they break the old forum information... intentionally? Any competent web group would avoid breaking existing forum links and they have found a way to do it again. 

been stuck in an infinite login-loop for 3 different browsers and 2 different machines. Nice.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

because of the infinite login issue I still can't access the first thread in the forum regarding the new forum. Because even if I force stop the page from loading the stupid login white box blocks out the first several threads :(

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    tl155180 said:

I completely agree.  The readability has gone down by at least an order of magnitude.  I suspect lars is right... someone, somewhere, at DAZ, thinks it 'looks pretty.' I can't imagine who would think so, but clearly they do not have the same taste as I do. 

edited July 2015

I used to like the old format. I think this new format is about the most horrendous looking forum I've ever seen. Its not that I'm averse to change; its that I'm averse to terrible change.

This forum hurts my eyes and now gives me actual headaches... Think I'm gonna be using it very sparingly (if at all) in the future :(

Edit: Its also now quite difficult to distinguish people's signatures from their actual posts.

Post edited by tl155180 on
    edited July 2015

oooooooops

edited July 2015

double ooops

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,201
    edited July 2015
    tl155180 said:

There were many complaints about the old forum.  Also it has "modernized" its interface to be more smartphone friendly and Windows8 friendly.  You know... those "Fat Finger Interfaces".  Personally I never had any fatal issues with the old forum and I don't use FFIs.

The old forum may have been reaching the end of it's tweakability.  Also,  changing the forum every three years is excellent job security for the forum department.  Perhaps specific technicians may change but changing forum software creates an ongoing need for technicians.  

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    Chohole said:

if you have an existing bookmark for a thread Take the URL  and swap 'discussion' for 'viewthread' and it should 'fix' the broken link.

That's all very well - but any half competent web developer could have used a URL rewrite to continue redirecting the old links by automatically doing that translation.

Oh, wait ... sorry ... this is DAZ3D we're talking about. Silly me. Forget it.

acanthis said:

That's all very well - but any half competent web developer could have used a URL rewrite to continue redirecting the old links by automatically doing that translation.

They do this each time they update the forum...you would think they would learn.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781

Whew! For a minute there I thought I was the only one who hated the New Look. 

Byrdie said:

Whew! For a minute there I thought I was the only one who hated the New Look. 

It helps if you dig down into your well-hidden settings and switch off all signatures - makes the whole thing look a lot less cluttered. But yes, it does look pretty awful frown

I'm wondering if they had an intern in to do it or something.

turning off signatures is a nice feature. very helpful. Hope they don't remove it...

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    acanthis said:
    Chohole said:

I kind of like the theme, look is more consistent with the store.

I think It was an upgrade on visuals, but downgraded user experience, now you need more clicks.

I find useless having notifications hidden and having to click on a cog in order to see them. Imagine having to unlock a phone to see if there are any calls, messages, etc.

If I were a developer with the goal to improve forum usability I'd start with the following TODO:

1. Add "Go to top button".
    2. Add "search forums" input box.
    3. Make always visible the "SHOP|3D PRINT|TECHNOLOGY|ETC" menu.
    4. Move "Mark Forums Viewed" and "Recent Discussions" out of the cog button and make them always visible.
    5. No fast food, no TV until above tasks completed.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862

larsmidnatt said:

the new format sucks. Less information per page, for the sake of looking pretty (in theory it looks pretty to someone)

And again they break the old forum information... intentionally? Any competent web group would avoid breaking existing forum links and they have found a way to do it again. 

been stuck in an infinite login-loop for 3 different browsers and 2 different machines. Nice.

I agree, it looks like less text and more background colour. Also you cant jump to a thread page.(I'm using Firefox, so I dont know if it's just me!)

Also had to write this by opening a new tab, as clicking 'quote' had no effect!

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Actually, I like the new forums. yes

Sue me. cheeky

The only problem I have is it's hard for me to read the blue lettering on the dark grey bg. no   But I'll figure some way to deal with it.

And the sig pictures are way too garish and huge so individual posters take note. devil

@Spit did you know you can turn off signatures. You can also just turn off images in signatures if you choose. Once I turned off signatures the page looks more focused and far less advertisement heavy.

• JogitechJogitech Posts: 11

better is asking what the hell give it no beta off the new forum with a chance to please of change. or symultan use for a short time ? 

• Jogitech said:

better is asking what the hell give it no beta off the new forum with a chance to please of change. or symultan use for a short time ? 

it's usually a resource thing. hard to have two forums at once. also causes confusion. (they could have frozen the old forums though..which would have not be as confusing. but still a resource gobbled up) 

Beta is still a resource and time.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602

...the change in how embedding images is handled is going to severely cripple any "how to..." tutorial posts. The small thumbnails are useless, and clicking on them no longer opens the image in a separate window.  The only other way get a "viewable" sized image in a post would require having to upload it to some "gallery" site first then use the "image" button to import it via the URL (a clumsy option). 

Upgrades to a forum should improve the "User Experience" for all (no matter what type of device they are using to view it), not detract from it as this apparently has done.

Jogitech said:

it's usually a resource thing. hard to have two forums at once. also causes confusion. (they could have frozen the old forums though..which would have not be as confusing. but still a resource gobbled up) 

Beta is still a resource and time.

The old forum was merged with the new forum so they couldn't really have 2 working simultaneously   

kyoto kid said:

...the change in how embedding images is handled is going to severely cripple any "how to..." tutorial posts. The small thumbnails are useless, and clicking on them no longer opens the image in a separate window.  The only other way get a "viewable" sized image in a post would require having to upload it to some "gallery" site first then use the "image" button to import it via the URL (a clumsy option). 

Upgrades to a forum should improve the "User Experience" for all (no matter what type of device they are using to view it), not detract from it as this apparently has done.

We haven't been able to do in line images for tutorials since 2012

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,211

I'm just happy that DAZ is still providing a forum!! It has often been said that DAZ forum participants are a tiny portion of the DAZ store customers. I'm grateful DAZ is still willing to invest the time and resources to provide us with this place to share information and communicate with DAZ friends.

• Panzer DragoonPanzer Dragoon Posts: 11
    edited July 2015
    Chohole said:

The old forum was merged with the new forum so they couldn't really have 2 working simultaneously   

That path was not the required one however, so it could have been done another way. Just would have been a resource challenge. 

barbult said:

I'm just happy that DAZ is still providing a forum!! It has often been said that DAZ forum participants are a tiny portion of the DAZ store customers. I'm grateful DAZ is still willing to invest the time and resources to provide us with this place to share information and communicate with DAZ friends.

Yeah I don't think we would have anywhere else to go for knowledge as many CG communities still dislike us. And the information would be scattered pretty badly...

Forum users are a very small portion of any community. But we should not forget that many users search the internet for answers to problems and the Daz forums typically are the number 1 result in google for problems. Each time they break the forums it takes a long time for google to reindex data to make those answers available to users again. So while a small percentage log in and post, a larger amount benefit from the knowledge. 

Post edited by Panzer Dragoon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602
    edited July 2015
    Chohole said:
    kyoto kid said:

We haven't been able to do in line images for tutorials since 2012

...I am aware about inline images no longer being available (sad because I used to use a lot of other emoticons).  I'm speaking about just being able to insert viewable sized images like we used to be able to do in the previous forum instead of these "postage stamp" sized thumbnails or having to post them to another site first and call them in with the "image" button in the comment editing window header. The latter option has the issue of the images disappearing from the post should that site go offline or be closed down.

When I did tutorial posts in the previous forum, I always referenced the attached images thus:

Fig. 1 <short description>, Fig 2. <short description>, etc...

...and then noted which figure applied to which part of the process in the text body.

Post edited by kyoto kid on