• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

The ape returns

000_1_great_ape.jpg
    1240 x 930 - 127K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823
    edited December 1969

wow!

some really cool ideas starting to flow..

here is my start off with a brief outline of the story and first concept image of my idea...

They had the power to rule a Kingdom
    They were the wealthiest and most powerful military order in Europe
    Then they disappeared without a trace along with their power ladened relics
    Never to be seen again

TILL NOW!

more than seven hundred years later!.. THERE IS BUT ONLY ONE

WHY?

The World's End is Upon Us
    the key to mankinds survival is the most mysterious lost relic of all

'The Sword of Tristram'

and only one person can find it to unlock it's secrets and save makind..............

first_draft_templar.jpg
    900 x 675 - 289K
  • shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

new try at post.
    with a photo real and a few non photo real renders added.
    the line form toonIII with multiply is still at the top,
    but the bottom is normal, a few are soft screen 90%,
    and just bellow the top a low opacity screen.

some color\contrast at the flatten image.
    no GIMPresionist this time

the image is a smaller resampled jpg to fit the daz site.

feedback is welcome.

tartarus1_maze_new_combine_small.jpg
    1950 x 1463 - 531K
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited June 2015

I am going to try to get an entry in for this, but life is so crazy right now I can't guarantee I'll be able to finish it.

I have had great success tooning images with a very simple process used often in my day.

I just make a render - any render - then bring it into an image editor with layering ability/blend modes and a decent sketch filter.

Then I duplicate the layer with the render, use a sketch filter (find edges, glowing edges, oil paint, and others often work better, or as well - so experimentation is needed for each image).

I'm attaching 4 images, but forget how to be sure they appear in the order I want! They should be obvious, I hope...

1 will be the original model, :out of the box" - it's a UFO from ShareCG ( http://www.sharecg.com/v/75126/browse/11/Poser/Adamski-UFO ) The backdrop gradient was needed to show details on bottom which got lost in the blackness.

2 is the same model with some shader tweaking. I also scaled it to smoosh and stretch to my liking.

3 is the sketch render made from image 2 using Arcsoft PhotoStudio 5 (yes, I use OLD software!) (still can't even afford Carrara 8.5 even on fast grab :-S ).

and 4 is the sketch render with the original image layered on top using the "color" blend mode.

Post work took about 2 minutes and I am quite pleased with the transformation. Been using that technique for a long time and haven't found a better way.

Now to make the Cow which that alien ship is after, and the Super-Hero Cow who saves the day! Hopefully enough people here know Alan Moore's works to get the references I have in mind :P

ufo1ta.png
    1024 x 768 - 607K
    ufo1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 710K
    ufo1.png
    1024 x 768 - 365K
    ufo01.png
    640 x 480 - 48K
    Post edited by Sockratease on
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

Probably I won't be able to take this further into the contest but I thought I'd post anyway.

I wanted to depict one of those old-time adventures. Ideas included a jeep, hostile natives, giant snake or crocodile, dinosaur (Evilproducer beat me there!), male hero with Safari shirt ... you get the idea.

My image is the obligatory scene - before some danger arises.

OK I've done my bit. Someone else can write the story and make us both a fortune. :-)

Doc8_FotoSketcherTitle2.jpg
    960 x 539 - 164K
    edited December 1969

oops!
    the few layers are not soft SCREEN 90% opacity.
    but:
    soft LIGHT 90% opacity.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited June 2015

Quite a few different styles already. Looks to be a great challenge.

This is a start on the wide panel for the middle of the page. I modeled a couple of simple sci-fi jets. The WIPs include a shot using the default Toon filter, and a shot using the NPR renderer with just outline mode.

Edit: Just noticing the shadows of the laser trails, and... Need to decide how to approach the speed lines for the jets.

jet_assemble_room.JPG
    1793 x 1009 - 193K
    jet_npr_outline.jpg
    1240 x 480 - 50K
    jet_wip.jpg
    1240 x 480 - 90K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited June 2015

Awesome work so far everybody! :)

I was inspired by my own theme to finally work on the Doctor Strange image I've wanted to do for some time now. I modeled the Eye of Agamotto,the rings and the watch in the Vertex Modeler. I added the design from his normal tunic to the shirt and made the background in Photoshop and then applied it as an alpha mask to a plane. The lighting is just an HDRI and a little bit of indirect glow from the magic effects (also created in Photoshop and then applied as an alpha to a circular plane made in the vertex modeler - the glow color is a couple color gradients being driven by different spheric gradients).

Image still needs some hair - I'm in the process of re-watching Jonstark's videos on Carrara dynamic hair but the plan is to add scalp hair, sideburns, a mustache and a goatee all as separate pieces of Carrara hair and then see if I can manage to add some white to the temples and a salt and pepper effect on the beard.

I don't plan on this being an entry but it's on-theme and I wanted to play. :)

Mark

LayoutTest_NoHair.jpg
    1319 x 2000 - 282K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

So, I had this really strange dream the other day. I was trying to install something on my mother's computer. It would not load. When I got to look at what I was trying to install, it was Twilight - Hulk poetry. Now that's about the time I woke up, so I'm not really sure what Twilight - Hulk poetry is, but it did inspire the following. This is just part of the first panel.

Used Freak 4 and the bookcases from Real University. Modified the shaders to get him green and modeled the book in Carrara.

Used Photoshop / Filter Forge with a comic book filter. Here is the before and after.

ncamp

Hulk7Comic.png
    1280 x 960 - 853K
    Hulk7.png
    1280 x 960 - 556K
    edited June 2015

My plans for the evening were cancelled so I started on the hair. There are three Carrara dynamic hair objects: one for the scalp, one for the temples to add some white and one for the beard. The white isn't as clear as I'd like from this angle and the beard still needs some work but this is pretty much the image I had in mind when I started.

Strange_Final.jpg
    1319 x 2000 - 282K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

2. Images must be new (previously unpublished).

Sorry to ask a stupid question (I'm not following the Carrara challenges very close): what means "unpublished"? I have some pics posted in DAZ forums e.g. if someone was asking for examples for comics or on several occasions talking about post-work. They were never submitted to a gallery, challenge, a web-site, but only as example forum entry. Are these pics published or are they valid for this challenge?

edited December 1969

Frank__ said:
    MDO2010 said:

Sorry to ask a stupid question (I'm not following the Carrara challenges very close): what means "unpublished"? I have some pics posted in DAZ forums e.g. if someone was asking for examples for comics or on several occasions talking about post-work. They were never submitted to a gallery, challenge, a web-site, but only as example forum entry. Are these pics published or are they valid for this challenge?

Hmmm... I actually just copied that rule over from previous challenges, so I am not sure what the original intent of it was. My interpretation is that a valid entry should have been made during the time period of this challenge but if you made and posted it elsewhere (including just forum posts) before the start of this challenge then it isn't valid for entry. So if you made it on or after 6 June 6, 2015 then it is OK even if you posted it in another forum before posting it here, otherwise not.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Yes, I think the intent was to foster new works for the challenges.

It is up to the current host what rules to follow, however, consider that the WIP thread is an important tool to foster community involvement and interaction. For those new to Carrara, it can be a great place to learn tips and tricks and for those that have used it for awhile, it is a great way to share your knowledge and help other folks along the way. Heck, even the old hands at Carrara learn new things or get new ideas. I know I do. If a work is already done and complete, it kind of defeats the purpose of a work in progress thread.

Just my $.02 worth.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,929
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    My plans for the evening were cancelled so I started on the hair. There are three Carrara dynamic hair objects: one for the scalp, one for the temples to add some white and one for the beard. The white isn't as clear as I'd like from this angle and the beard still needs some work but this is pretty much the image I had in mind when I started.

Love this work mark !

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited December 1969

Very nice graphic novel panels already!

I'm kind of nervous to use a non-photo real renderer. I plan to use the Toon! Pro plugin by DCG for rendering. I haven't had much luck with it in the past, so I hope to learn from this challenge. I'm sure I will need to do quite a bit of postwork in photoshop too.

My graphic novel is set in No Man's Land on the Western Front during WW1. I need a trench and a crater model for the scenes. I'm roughing them in, using elevation maps imported into Carrara's terrain editor. The crater elevation map was created in photoshop with the Holes and Bullet Holes filter by Poly77 from Filter Forge with a little gausian blur. The trench was created in Photoshop with just a black rectangle against a white background with a custom reflected gradient for the sides. I converted the terrain objects to vertex objects so I can apply different shading domains to make the sides of the trench and crater look better close-up. I downloaded some rocky soil textures from CGtextures.com, which I plan to apply to the shading domains along with some displacement for texture. Next, I need to dress some soldiers and send them over the top.

Here is a montage of what I have so far.

Crater_trench_examples.png
    1004 x 1254 - 435K
  • Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    Frank__ said:
    MDO2010 said:

Hmmm... I actually just copied that rule over from previous challenges, so I am not sure what the original intent of it was. My interpretation is that a valid entry should have been made during the time period of this challenge but if you made and posted it elsewhere (including just forum posts) before the start of this challenge then it isn't valid for entry. So if you made it on or after 6 June 6, 2015 then it is OK even if you posted it in another forum before posting it here, otherwise not.

Thanks for the clarification. (Evilproducer, too.)

edited December 1969

for the background i will use:
    freak 5
    horned barbarian
    and some morphs

edited December 1969

new way:

the non photo realistic render don't do some of the image.
    but i solved the pd howler problem.
    if you don't zoom out then it does the whole image,
    with the artistic brush strokes.

so i will use them in gimp.

edited June 2015

I'm still trying to come up with an idea. You guys (and gals) are way ahead of me again. ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • robertzavalarobertzavala Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone, I started working on this a couple of weeks ago. It is called Jimmy Con Macho.

Jimmy-Con-Macho-page-1.jpg
    1097 x 1800 - 641K
    screen-caps.jpg
    720 x 1371 - 206K
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone, I started working on this a couple of weeks ago. It is called Jimmy Con Macho.

Talent :exclaim: :exclaim:

edited December 1969

very nice work Robert! good to see you joining the fray !

edited December 1969

new try at post.
    with a photo real and a few non photo real renders added.
    the line form toonIII with multiply is still at the top,
    but the bottom is normal, a few are soft screen 90%,
    and just bellow the top a low opacity screen.

some color\contrast at the flatten image.
    no GIMPresionist this time

the image is a smaller resampled jpg to fit the daz site.

feedback is welcome.

feed back? I am intrigued by the scene already. I like the style of the sky especially

edited December 1969

bottom layer:
    photorealalistic render with brush strokes in pd howler and some blur.

next layer:
    like the bottom but not same brush, very low opacity grain merge.

top layer:
    toon iii render with line as white the rest are black.
    fill the background black, desaturate some blur and invert.
    move the layer to fit the movement by the brush strokes.
    crop the image to fit the move.
    resample the image to meet the load size.

pngtartarus1_painterly_small.jpg
    1950 x 1451 - 623K
    edited December 1969

wow.. it's going to be interesting and fun to read all these diverse interpretations of the challenge ..

Looking great..

An update from me with some ideas bouncing around in my head and trying to get it out there...

sword_of_Tristram.jpg
    800 x 1132 - 574K
    edited December 1969

continuing on............... ;-)

sword_of_Tristram_2.jpg
    800 x 1132 - 663K
    edited December 1969

Wow! Great work everybody!

I finally had time to start putting together some assets for my scene.

I want to do a two page spanning splash page.

Anyway, here's one of the characters I've started. So far it's just a standard M4 without any morphs to add character. My first priority was to get him clothed. Much to my chagrin, I had army stuff for the upper torso, but nothing for the lower torso, and since I didn't want to make one of "those" comics, I borrowed some stuff from the M4 Pirate set. Namely the pants and boots.

The pants are essentially the same except for the shaders. The boots had a folded over top. Thankfully, the folded over top also had its own shading domain, so it was easy to hide. I then changed up the textures.

Picture_7.png
    835 x 857 - 316K
    Picture_6.png
    232 x 353 - 41K
    Picture_5.png
    773 x 881 - 309K
    Picture_4.png
    1237 x 787 - 281K
    Picture_3.png
    666 x 758 - 156K
    edited December 1969

Due to life events outside of Carrara, I will not be able to contribute to this very fine challenge. I feel very bad about this, and I also feel I'm letting everyone down. It's never been about the prizes, and the two times I've hosted I actually enjoyed it (hard as that may be to believe).

I don't know how often I will be able to check in in the coming weeks. It will depend a lot on my stress level.

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited December 1969

Hi evilproducer

I'm so sorry you are dropping out of the challenge and have real life stresses to deal with. It sounds bad. I hope all returns to normal soon. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Miss you already!

sukyL

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited December 1969

sukyL said:
    Hi evilproducer

I'm so sorry you are dropping out of the challenge and have real life stresses to deal with. It sounds bad. I hope all returns to normal soon. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Miss you already!

sukyL

+1