Tips & Tricks for Iray for newbies......

Comments

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited December 1969

Ok, wow - that seems like pretty advanced stuff. Think I'll steer clear of it for now. Thanks very much for the explanation though!

I wondered if it might be something that'd help me out with failing landscape textures, but doesn't seem so.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

The short form:
    If it's a human figure with decent details, set mesh resolution to 3.
    If you are using displacement on some random object, set Displacement SubD to 3.

That'll handle 99% of anything you care about.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

SubDivision.

There are two places it comes up: mesh resolution, in General Parameters for an object. Basically concerns how divided up the mesh is. If an object has jagged edges or blocky shadows, consider upping this (though any more than 3 is likely to make your computer weep, most of the time). If an object can't go beyond 'base resolution,' then there's an option: Edit > Object > Geometry > Convert to SubD
    (Save before you do this, because some objects end up looking like poop subdivided and you can't undo it)

However, under Displacement in the Iray shader is ANOTHER entry for SubD. This will subdivide the surface for the purposes of the displacement effect. It's somehow... different, though I think if the base mesh is, say, SubD 3, you don't need to set the SubD of the Displacement.
    But if you want any displacement, you want at LEAST SubD 3 (mesh or displacement specific) or it'll look dumb.

In a few cases I've found it useful to push Displacement subd to 4, 5, or even 6, primarily when trying to use displacement maps to create furry/fuzzy effects. However... I'm not sure my computer can handle it well.

Each level of SubD increases number of faces by 4x, I think.

(Examples to follow)

There are a couple of differences between the two.

Render time SubD is Open SubDiv, uses edge weighting and does smoothing. The Displacement setting is just tessellation, it increases the number of polys without smoothing. Render time SubD is applied first. The Displacement setting is applied after the Render Time SubD and only applied as the difference between the two.

So for example if your Render Time SubD is set to 2 and your displacement tessellation is set to 3 then Open SubDiv will be used for 2 levels of Subdivision and the displacement tessellation will have one level applied. If the tessellation is set to 1 and the render Time SubD is set to 3 then the 3 levels of Open SubDiv will be applied but no additional levels of tessellation from the displacement setting will be applied.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

That doesn't... fit the testing I'm doing? Or maybe I'm not understanding your explanation.

In this example:

Bottom row: Open SubD 0 (Base), Displacement SubD 0-5
    Middle row: Open SubD 0-5, Displacement SubD 0
    Top row: Open SubD 2, Displacement 0-3.

It looks entirely like the two effects combine, that the effective displacement resolution is Open SubD + Displacement SubD (or, well, x4^that number)

Displacement_Test2.jpg
    2000 x 1236 - 2M
    edited May 2015

That doesn't... fit the testing I'm doing? Or maybe I'm not understanding your explanation.

In this example:

Bottom row: Open SubD 0 (Base), Displacement SubD 0-5
    Middle row: Open SubD 0-5, Displacement SubD 0
    Top row: Open SubD 2, Displacement 0-3.

It looks entirely like the two effects combine, that the effective displacement resolution is Open SubD + Displacement SubD (or, well, x4^that number)

The bottom row, you are still getting the same number of polys for displacement, so they should look, for the most part, the same. The top level they are slightly different but closer than what I would expect from the way it is supposed to work. Now I am going to have to figure out if it did indeed change, and if that change was intentional. LOL

Edited to add: Unintentional change that is different at render vs. viewport. Thanks.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • lucidghostlucidghost Posts: 73
    edited December 1969

You mentioned scales, so I experimented...

G2M, Exo head at ~80% and full exo body (from Creature collection), with scale pattern (CC again). Made sure Subd for the body is at 3 (so HD and other details show properly)
    Applied Iray optimized skin.
    Applied Chameleon car paint to skin/lips/nails, made a few tweaks.
    Put bump channel into Displacement channel, reduced it to .05 range (default was too much)

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Scaly-Dude-535931555

thank you!! I'll definitely try this out when I get home and thanks for the earlier post explaining how the translucency would be off for scales--didn't think of that.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies I'll have to try the Iray surface, I haven't bought any optimized materials yet, they got wishlisted

edited December 1969

You mentioned scales, so I experimented...

G2M, Exo head at ~80% and full exo body (from Creature collection), with scale pattern (CC again). Made sure Subd for the body is at 3 (so HD and other details show properly)
    Applied Iray optimized skin.
    Applied Chameleon car paint to skin/lips/nails, made a few tweaks.
    Put bump channel into Displacement channel, reduced it to .05 range (default was too much)

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Scaly-Dude-535931555

thank you!! I'll definitely try this out when I get home and thanks for the earlier post explaining how the translucency would be off for scales--didn't think of that.Converting to a normal map, if you have the right tools, should look pretty well without the render time hit you can get from displacement.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

In iRay is there a way to tell a normal map not to tile if the tiling parameters are used for other surface nodes? If not can we please have that option? Thanks!

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    In iRay is there a way to tell a normal map not to tile if the tiling parameters are used for other surface nodes? If not can we please have that option? Thanks!

If I have one thing I don't want to tile I go into the image options and set its tiling to the inverse of the overall tiling i.e. if the general tiling is 4 i would set the normal map tiling to .25.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

That's an iRay thing? Never heard of being able to do that in 3Delight... Thanks for the info

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Here's a quick (literally--under 2 minutes) test I did and might be interesting to those who want a more painterly look. Of course that look depends here on the background--which was painted by lzy for a set over at Rendo. I used the BG for the background in the Environment tab and also in the iRay render settings Environment map. Everything else was left at default. This is where the light comes from.

Turn Off the headlamp because it won't go off on its own if set to Auto and the only lighting is from the above.

The rabbits are by Lyne. I simply applied the Uber iray base, positioned, posed, then hit render.

Now this will delight some and horrify others, but the image is just begging for some postwork so I applied a Filter Forge filter to give it some contrast and even out the colors a bit. And, yeah, I could have done this with 3delight and it would have been even a bit faster but the lighting would have been harder.

Did you know that the menu on the environment tab (upper right corner) allows you to set your aspect ratio the same as the background? That is a very very welcome addition to Studio and works for 3delight too.

iRay-lzyBG-lyneArcticrabbitsFF.jpg
    600 x 750 - 52K
    iRay-lzyBG-lyneArcticrabbitsUBERIraybase2.jpg
    600 x 750 - 37K
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

A few weirdnesses I came across this afternoon, test-converting the Regency Room by Ness.

* There seems to be a very common preset missing from the supplied Iray content. How do we set up a mirror surface? I tried various shiny metals, and they just didn't look right.

* How do we set up glass with etched details? The room lighting is done with candles in lamp fittings, and the glass covers have opacity maps for use in 3Delight. What's the equivalent in Iray so that the light from the candle flames passes through properly?

* After adding the Emissive shader to the candle flames, I was turning the luminosity up and up and up for the lights, until I was in the "really ridiculous" range for four pairs of tiny flames needing a value of a hundred million... or was it a billion, I lost count of the zeros. I noticed the flame texture UV was only using one small corner of the actual texture image, could this be related?

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited May 2015

Can someone help with this? I cannot figure out how to keep current textures and their general appearance, but make them so they’re vibrant for IRAY… and/or, how do I keep the textures but also apply IRAY shaders? I'm talking about for clothing, and other items...

also how are HDRs used? I understand they are almost like skydomes but with no physical domes? They are like IBLs?

Lastly, people keep saying you can load a background into the environment tab, but I see no way or option how to do this. Where usually you can click a small box to apply a texture, there is no box offered.

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited December 1969

Mirror. Isn't there a reflectivity dial in the uber shader?

I usually start with Metal Silver from the uber shaders (since old mirrors have silver backing?) then crank up reflectivity.

That being said,I haven't ever featured a mirror in an image before. As side props, sure. Just not the main attraction. So YMMV.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,850
    edited December 1969

A few weirdnesses I came across this afternoon, test-converting the Regency Room by Ness.

* There seems to be a very common preset missing from the supplied Iray content. How do we set up a mirror surface? I tried various shiny metals, and they just didn't look right.

* How do we set up glass with etched details? The room lighting is done with candles in lamp fittings, and the glass covers have opacity maps for use in 3Delight. What's the equivalent in Iray so that the light from the candle flames passes through properly?

* After adding the Emissive shader to the candle flames, I was turning the luminosity up and up and up for the lights, until I was in the "really ridiculous" range for four pairs of tiny flames needing a value of a hundred million... or was it a billion, I lost count of the zeros. I noticed the flame texture UV was only using one small corner of the actual texture image, could this be related?

I suspect for etched glass you'd want to apply the map not to opacity but to roughness in some form - that is what the etching is, a local roughening.

Candles are dim - as I can testify from many years of power-cuts when the wind is the least bit frisky (and several days without electricity in October 1987) - what were your tone-mapping settings?

edited May 2015

Can someone help with this? I cannot figure out how to keep current textures and their general appearance, but make them so they’re vibrant for IRAY… and/or, how do I keep the textures but also apply IRAY shaders? I'm talking about for clothing, and other items...?

CTRL click is your friend. Select the surface you want, CTRL click the shader.

It gives you the option of not replacing the texture maps.

Now, I've seen outfits with just a diffuse channel, which don't react as well when you make the flat surface very reflective... So it may work, but in other cases, CTRL click may not fully help.

Edit: I could fix the lack of bump in GIMP, but I didn't bother as it was just an experiment.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
    edited December 1969

Candle. I've seen some that have a surface for a candle flame with a diffuse map, plus a point light for the actual flame. The wick and wax were different surfaces.

When I Irayed it,I killed the old point light because we needed photometrics back a few builds. The point light was useless to me.

Then I took the texture in the diffuse channel and applied that to the emissive channel. Then I looked up the temp (in Kelvin) of candle flame, and messed with the lumen dial.

Not all candle props are set up like this, though. You may not have the luxury.

You could set up primitives in the area where the flame would be (cone + sphere). Then make those your emitters. There are flame objects for sale as well.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Candles are dim - as I can testify from many years of power-cuts when the wind is the least bit frisky (and several days without electricity in October 1987) - what were your tone-mapping settings?

Ah, that might explain it, I just used the default settings. I'll have another go at playing with the dials.

Hmm, getting better, but I still have problems getting all of the glowing coal fire, the circles of bright direct candlelight on the ceiling right above the lamps, and the overall room light level, in some sort of synch.

Well, at least the mirror now looks a lot better, although the render hasn't yet resolved to the point where I can actually see the glass lamp covers. Early days, it's only been running for ten minutes so far. :roll:

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

Can you guys help me find instruction on using standard skydomes with Iray? I’m just finding little parts here and there. I’ve really been looking in a bunch of different places I promise, other than this thread.

The goals being:
    1. In Iray- Duplicate the results found in 3Delight (back to familiar territory). Distant lights will penetrate the dome, the scene is not pitch black.
    2. (Then) Start using the benefits of any dome/environment settings in the NVIDIA Render settings. Adding the skydome image?
    3. Do we use UE2 anymore, occlusion?
    4. HDRI/IBL? I had a good idea of what this is before, what does it mean now?

I'm willing to work for this, I know it's on the way. I just...would like a strong lead.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited May 2015

I found a tutorial: Use Easy Environments with Iray. You may be able to adapt it to other skydomes that use an actual mesh/object.

I can't help you with HDR sets like Yosemite Pack One. Sorry.

You can buy Outdoor HDR and Indoor HDR environments for Iray.

edit: forgot something

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

marshian said:
    Can you guys help me find instruction on using standard skydomes with Iray? I’m just finding little parts here and there. I’ve really been looking in a bunch of different places I promise, other than this thread.

The goals being:
    1. In Iray- Duplicate the results found in 3Delight (back to familiar territory). Distant lights will penetrate the dome, the scene is not pitch black.
    2. (Then) Start using the benefits of any dome/environment settings in the NVIDIA Render settings. Adding the skydome image?
    3. Do we use UE2 anymore, occlusion?

I'm willing to work for this, I know it's on the way. I just...would like a strong lead.

1. Iray does not need another dome...it's got a "built in" dome. If you add one, you are effectively purring an umbrella over your scene.
    2. That's the dome...and yes images can go there. And depending on the settings it can be just a backdrop or emissive.
    3. Only if you are doing a 3Delight render. No need for any 'extra' occlusion, it's automatically part of the the lighting calculations in Iray...so are all the other GI effects that needed special shaders in 3DL. At it's heart Iray is a raytracer, so all the things that needed to be 'turned on' in 3DL are already on...so you don't need to try to turn them on.
    4. Same as it's always meant, no change in meaning. In many ways, it's easier, too. Image based lighting, at least for exterior scenes and even a few interiors, if you have ways for light to penetrate the room (windows, etc), would probably take care of the bulk of the scene's light requirements...just like the real world and the lit environment around you.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

4. Same as it's always meant, no change in meaning. In many ways, it's easier, too. Image based lighting, at least for exterior scenes and even a few interiors, if you have ways for light to penetrate the room (windows, etc), would probably take care of the bulk of the scene's light requirements...just like the real world and the lit environment around you.

http://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-yosemite-pack-one So will a set like this be good for rendering in IRAY?

edited December 1969

A different question: I'm doing an IRAY render and paused it at about 20%. I wanted to check Max Samples which was only 5000. I changed it to 15000, and resumed the render. Would this have changed how it's rendering, or am I not allowed to change any settings in the middle of a render? Should I cancel it and start over?

edited May 2015

I know most people probably already know this, but I'm going to share it here because it had me stumped for ages and Topher (Daz support) has kindly explained it to me.

Blurry Ground Plane Textures in Iray

I was having a big problem with ground plane textures coming out blurry in Iray on all of my landscape products. Turns out it was because the Iray conversion doesn't keep the correct tiling information in some cases. Here's what I had to do to resolve it:

1. Select the ground plane in your Scene tab.
    2. Go to Surfaces tab (Editor) and select the corresponding surface for the ground.
    3. Expand that list out and find the section called 'Tiling'. This contains the tiling information for that surface. Make a note of the values.

4. Still in Surfaces (Editor) tab, make sure you have the ground surface selected then switch to Surfaces (Presets), find the !Iray Uber Base shader and double click it to apply (no need to ctrl + click).
    5. Go back into Surfaces (Editor) and if you expand your ground surface list you should now see a section called 'Geometry'. Iray won't carry over the tiling values when you convert to uber base, so you have to input the appropriate values that you noted down earlier manually.
    6. Render.

This should sort out the problem! :) Yay! I'm so happy.

Dry_Mud_Desert_with_Iray_Uber_Shader_and_tiling_adjusted.jpg
    1356 x 1085 - 744K
    Post edited by tl155180 on
  • K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

I've a couple questions as well. If I've read correctly, I've read about converting the shaders used on any surface in a DAZ scene into Iray shaders so the surfaces will look even better when rendered in Iray. How do I do this conversion? What items do I need to purchase and install? Also, will any surface that has an Iray shader applied to it become a potential emitter, meaning I can adjust the luminence settings so the surface will emit light in my render? Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

edited May 2015

K T Ong said:
    I've a couple questions as well. If I've read correctly, I've read about converting the shaders used on any surface in a DAZ scene into Iray shaders so the surfaces will look even better when rendered in Iray. How do I do this conversion? What items do I need to purchase and install? Also, will any surface that has an Iray shader applied to it become a potential emitter, meaning I can adjust the luminence settings so the surface will emit light in my render? Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

See my post above yours for applying Iray Shaders to surfaces. In most cases you won't have to worry about the tiling part. I mention the !Iray Uber Base, but its the same principle for all of them. The only difference might be that you may have to use Ctrl + click and select 'ignore' when you apply the shader if you want to keep the original texture maps... not sure if thats still necessary, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

Surfaces will only become emissive if you apply the specific Iray 'Emissive' shader. Otherwise they are just fancy shaders for use in Iray. With Emissive you do have to use Ctrl + click and 'ignore' when applying the shader if you want to retain the textures.

You don't need to purchase anything as all default Iray shaders come with the new content package for DS 4.8. Just make sure you have the latest free content package installed in DIM.

Post edited by tl155180 on
    edited December 1969

tl155180 said:
    K T Ong said:

See my post above yours for applying Iray Shaders to surfaces. In most cases you won't have to worry about the tiling part. I mention the !Iray Uber Base, but its the same principle for all of them. The only difference might be that you may have to use Ctrl + click and select 'ignore' when you apply the shader if you want to keep the original texture maps... not sure if thats still necessary, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

Surfaces will only become emissive if you apply the specific Iray 'Emissive' shader. Otherwise they are just fancy shaders for use in Iray. With Emissive you do have to use Ctrl + click and 'ignore' when applying the shader if you want to retain the textures.

You don't need to purchase anything as all default Iray shaders come with the new content package for DS 4.8. Just make sure you have the latest free content package installed in DIM.

Thanks, but I wasn't able to find this '!Iray Uber Base' thing. Where is it?

Below is a snapshot of the menu in which I searched for the said shader. There isn't a 'presets' option there, as can be seen. And it's DS4.8 I'm using.

You mentioned this free content package. I presume it's separate from the DS4.8 program proper? If so, where can I find it?

its_not_there.jpg
    520 x 580 - 190K
    edited December 1969

Sorry, my mistake, I just spotted the 'presets' tab.

Still no luck searching there either, though... :down:

its_not_there_2.jpg
    520 x 480 - 240K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You will find the Shaders in the Content Library (not the Surfaces pane)

DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > Shader Presets > IRay > DAZ Uber