Tips & Tricks for Iray for newbies......

Comments

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited May 2015

I really like the lighting of the environment dome. The standard one. But I'm unsure if its a single IBL file or what it truly is.
    Is it a light source like the spotlights? An IBL? An image? An ambiance? What is it? Oo

Post edited by Angel on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Is it a light source like the spotlights? An IBL? An image? An ambiance?

Yes.

Depending on what settings you use it can be any/all of those.

But really, IBL and light source are redundant. The 'L' in IBL is Lighting...so by definition IBL is a light source.

The dome can be just an image, but that's kind of handcuffing it's capabilities.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,668
    edited December 1969

My scene had a dome. Enchanted Forest. If anyone is familiar. So how does one get the light in iRay to pass through the dome? I tried cast shadows off. It had no effect.
    It won't — the Cast Shadows switch is a 3Delight feature, it doesn't exist in Iray. Everything casts shadows. The only way to allow an Iray light to pass through something is to turn down Opacity or use a transparency map.

Or use an Iray Section Plane, from the Create menu

There have been a few mentions in some of the Iray threads (maybe even way back at the beginning of this one) of setting the dome itself to be light-emitting, but I can't remember offhand how it's done.

Set the Emission Colour in the iray Uber Shader to white and apply your environment map to it, then adjust the luminance.

edited December 1969

I have in issue with getting milky iris's. Not very glamorous at all. Anyone know what might be causing that?
    What settings do you use on the eyes?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885
    edited May 2015

Cornea, I start with Water shader, then adjust refraction to 1.34, top coat 1.0, white, fresnel, IOR 1.38, roughness 0 (going off of some suggestions of Mec4D).
    Note that if you use any glossy roughness with a transparent object, it looks cloudy/frosted.
    I shut off Eye Reflection (cutout 0.0)
    Iris, I usually use the default optimized skin, which is glossy .2, roughness .24.

Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited May 2015

And I also have another issue where it renders anything with an opacity map, pitch black.

Hair Caps, Eye lashes, Clothing opacity's. Ect.

Post edited by Angel on
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

I'm finally gonna make the plunge and try IRay when I get home tonight! *gulp*

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Ive installed 4.8 but I can't find the Iray viewing window, at top right. Sorry can't remember what it's called - shows exactly what you are going to render.

Can some-one tell me where I can find it please.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,003
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Ive installed 4.8 but I can't find the Iray viewing window, at top right. Sorry can't remember what it's called - shows exactly what you are going to render.

Can some-one tell me where I can find it please.

I believe it's called Window/Panes/Aux Veiwport
    edited December 1969

OK Thank you very much.

• DrNewcensteinDrNewcenstein Posts: 816
    edited December 1969

So do I have to perform some sort of magic trick to get iRay to show up in my Render Engine list? Install anything separately, that sorta thing?

Brand new Quadro K4000 card, which obviously means latest drivers.
    Installed 4.8 from Install Manager, so I get the Iradium splash screen.

Only options I have are Basic GL, Intermediate GL, 3Delight, Scripted Delight. Where's the Iray option hidden? I see an iray folder in the Studio4 folder, full of the necessary dlls, but I'm not seeing it as an option in Render Engine.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058
    edited December 1969

Newc said:
    So do I have to perform some sort of magic trick to get iRay to show up in my Render Engine list? Install anything separately, that sorta thing?

Only options I have are Basic GL, Intermediate GL, 3Delight, Scripted Delight. Where's the Iray option hidden? I see an iray folder in the Studio4 folder, full of the necessary dlls, but I'm not seeing it as an option in Render Engine.

32 bit version? Iray is only available in 64-bit (Nvidia decision - they don't provide a 32 bit version).

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

NVIDIA Iray should be the default engine that loads when you start studio. I can not imagine why it is not showing up for you in the render settings editor under engine if you downloaded 4.8.

• D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283
    edited May 2015

On another note about backdrops and Environment images. this is a Render i did a few days ago i really love how it turned out. I used the underwater fish swimming as a Back drop, but i also plugged the image into the environment map area in the iray render settings window i dont know exactly how the environment lights work but i was surprised that putting the image in there actually lit the scene with the same hue as the image i used as a backdrop i been playing with lots of photos i have to see what kind of results i can get.

Daniel

Btw there is only 1 mesh light in the scene to help highlight the girls face...you can see the reflection in the glass to the upper left but the rest if the light from the environment light from the .jpg i put i there

Taking_a_break.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by D.Robinson on
  • BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

I know everyone is going for the more hyper realism in rendering, but, will there be more stylistic rendering options with IRay? More graphic arts shaders, line art, toon style?

• DrNewcensteinDrNewcenstein Posts: 816
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    Newc said:

32 bit version? Iray is only available in 64-bit (Nvidia decision - they don't provide a 32 bit version).

And that's what I get for not unchecking the 32-bit version box in Install Mangler. Turns out I was running 32-bit (on 64-bit Win7) instead of the 64-bit. Of course the question then becomes "why does 32-bit-and-therefore-unsupported-DS' splash screen have the Iray branding?"

Oh well, first-world problems.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

They have just recently settled on the shader mixer and so forth so no one could really get in and work on those types of shaders till that was solid. I am sure at some point people will being to do those sorts of things for Iray.

edited December 1969

Of course the question then becomes “why does 32-bit-and-therefore-unsupported-DS’ splash screen have the Iray branding?”

No one thought of needing a separate splash screen?

• ShanuriShanuri Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

I really really hope there are more stylized options in the works for Iray. I've been tinkering, but this is obviously geared for hyper-realism. Maybe someone has tips for those of us who aren't producing much of that?

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

shanuri said:
    I really really hope there are more stylized options in the works for Iray. I've been tinkering, but this is obviously geared for hyper-realism. Maybe someone has tips for those of us who aren't producing much of that?

It really depends on how you're defining realism ;) I know non-answer answer. If by stylized you mean something like cell shaded, that's probably not going to happen but illustrative and painterly are definitely doable

In my renders I aim for sort of realism but not photo-realism. My ultimate goal is something that looks like a painting not a photograph. If that's what you're going for, my main suggestion is use lights not hdr and crank up the scale on on them in the geometry settings. Iray can get really nice soft lighting, which is great for non-photorealistic stuff, and something it does with much greater ease than 3delight.

Thank you btw, your question has totally inspired me to figure out a way to composite an Iray render with some generated lines and make a mucha styled render

edited December 1969

You know, if you use Fresnel top coat and crank IOR high, you can get some outline-like effects. Hrm.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

shanuri said:

Use 3Delight...you don't put hammers on your feet and you don't use shoes to pound in a nail, so why use a physics based, photoreal renderer for 'non-real', stylized rendering? Kind of counter intuitive to me...

edited May 2015

Eh, photorealistic lighting can be (IMO) easier to set up, without smoke and mirrors. You might want dreamy, luminous renders without having to pick up a completely different renderer.

And I think Iray can do that reasonably well.

I think these renders of mine do various 'not sterile photorealism' in various ways:
    http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Elven-dancer-534359870
    http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/The-Dancer-533867244
    http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Firebender-532404106
    http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Redhead-backscatter-529914210

(I'll shoot for something even dreamier with my next render)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

shanuri said:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/80939/browse/7/Material-and-Shader/Iray-Toon-Shader

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505
    edited December 1969

I was able to do this using an early Iray beta and a TON of postwork (topless female nudity):

http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/art/Iray-Flaeme-nude-postworked-520419353

I haven't been able to get anything close since though. I suppose it's *possible* to get non-photorealistic results with Iray if you run the render through the ringer in Photoshop, but it's definitely not as easy as doing it in 3Delight.

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited May 2015

Sorry guys I am so new to this ~_~

But I can't figure out: How to do a background? I'm used to "fake" background where I attach an image to a plane (not to the diffuse, but to the ambient part, so shadows don't interact with it) and turn the shadows of the plane off. But that doesn't seem to like IRAY...

Also, I cannot figure out how to keep current textures and their general appearance, but make them so they're vibrant for IRAY... and/or, how do I keep the textures but also apply IRAY shaders?

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on
    edited December 1969

I can't get anything to render in Iray. Just get a black screen after 20 seconds. I have done it before with Beta way back in March but have forgotten how.

Can someone give some basic instructions please. Can't find anything helpful.

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    I can't get anything to render in Iray. Just get a black screen after 20 seconds. I have done it before with Beta way back in March but have forgotten how.

If you're using a sky dome, turn it off. I had the same problem just now!

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:

if you are using a skydome - the dome is blocking the iray sun.
    Put the image from the skydome to the Iray environment dome and delete the first skydome from scene

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited May 2015

HoMart said:
    wilmap said:

if you are using a skydome - the dome is blocking the iray sun.
    Put the image from the skydome to the Iray environment dome and delete the first skydome from scene

Note that this method will only give you ambient light - the direct sunlight will be blocked out. Also, the ambient light will be tinted by the colour of the skydome image in the environment map. So it doesn't work particularly well.

Basically skydomes are pretty defunct under Iray. People suggest using HDRs instead now.

Post edited by tl155180 on