Will I get notification if something on Wishlist goes on sale?

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
edited December 1969 in The Commons

The subject is pretty much my question :) Thanks!

Comments

• LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Not currently.

Hopefully its on the horizon.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Ugh...I think I may have missed some sales on some wishlist items, since I don't hang out here that often anymore. :( Oh well, thanks for the reply!

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Would you be interested in using a service that notified you? I've built a few tools into a web service for my own use (I'm a programmer, scratching my itch is something I do), and I've been considering opening it up to others. It'd be free (although I'd never turn away a gift cert or so if it turns out to be really useful to someone), and hopefully eventually obsoleted by DAZ's own efforts.

I'd love to gauge interest. I'm also considering a Chrome and FF plugin that puts a little notification on a page that I've bought this item in the past, by doing a scrape of my itemized history and order details. I've already got the itemized history 'scrape' working, initially generating CSV files and/or dumping into a database.

The web is open, and there's a lot that can be done. The question is, would others be interested in using it if I cleaned it up for general consumption...

-- Morgan

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

I don't think so, but thanks!

• Tye1980Tye1980 Posts: 78
    edited July 2012

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Would you be interested in using a service that notified you? I've built a few tools into a web service for my own use (I'm a programmer, scratching my itch is something I do), and I've been considering opening it up to others. It'd be free (although I'd never turn away a gift cert or so if it turns out to be really useful to someone), and hopefully eventually obsoleted by DAZ's own efforts.

I'd love to gauge interest. I'm also considering a Chrome and FF plugin that puts a little notification on a page that I've bought this item in the past, by doing a scrape of my itemized history and order details. I've already got the itemized history 'scrape' working, initially generating CSV files and/or dumping into a database.

The web is open, and there's a lot that can be done. The question is, would others be interested in using it if I cleaned it up for general consumption...

-- Morgan

I would be very interested but how does it do it and what does it do with the information?
    (btw I use FF)

Post edited by Tye1980 on
  • Lonnie DudeLonnie Dude Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

I for one would be VERY interested, espically the previous purchase feature.

edited December 1969

Greetings,
    @Tye1980 - The answer is that it would scrape your wishlist off the site, and store it on a server. The 'specials' list is provided by DAZ in a convenient format for parsing, and once a day (or maybe twice) it would parse the list of specials, compare it to the list of things from your wishlist (and the list of things it's already told you about), and let you know of any new changes.

The easiest way to get your wishlist into the system (i.e. I've already implemented it for myself) to let it log in as you, and the web app would scrape it for you. Another way, which I've toyed with but is a lot more complex, is to use a browser plugin for Chrome and FF (which I have to write anyhow) to add an 'Import' button on the Wishlist page, and it would use the browser's own HTML parsing to scrape the Wishlist page and submit it to my web app.

@mrothello - I've actually started down the path of building this, as I realized there are a dozen useful features in there, many of which DAZ will probably not ever build. For example, 'This item just went on sale for less than you paid for it <30 days ago.' With appropriate caveats, because sometimes it matters that you paid for it at full price (e.g. $10 off $50 sales) of course.</p>

The previous purchase thing would behave a bit like Amazon's 'Item Alert' feature, where it's not on the page when you load it, but it'd ping my server with the URL and if you'd imported your purchase history into my webapp, it could let you know if it's in the history somewhere with a little warning message right by the 'Add to Cart' button a few seconds after page-load.

Other useful features would be downloading your purchase history as a CSV (which is why I started this process in the first place!) and if I can figure out how to automatically parse the bundle data someone else posted, automatically recognizing and splitting out bundle components. This might even make it more powerful than something DAZ can do, because it would recognize that you'd bought a component, even if you'd bought the bundle.

This would be hella useful for me, and I've only got around 500 items in my order history....

That said, the obvious drawback is that you'd have to trust me, and that's hard, and many people won't. That's why I'm building it for myself first, and if other folks think it's something they'd use, I'll open it up. I've provided an HTML-scraping program to eBay users for about 12 years that isn't terribly different than this, although it runs on your local computer.

-- Morgan

• Lonnie DudeLonnie Dude Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

As long as you don't need my credit card info, and it doesn't look like you do, i'm all for it. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work and you've wasted my time. Believe me it wouldn't be the first time! (The Content Database manager from a few years back springs to mind). I've been a customer 2003, so sorting through all my purchases now takes an hour or more sometimes.

• LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'd be interested in something like this Cypherfox.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I would be interested as well. As far as trusting you, my feeling is that if the logging in to scrape the history and wishlist is done solely on my computer, and the resulting .csv files then sent to your server by a separate app, I would feel secure. Note also Taozen's apps which might give you a head start on collecting the history and wishlist data.

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

Oooh, anything that saves time and helps organize - I'd be very interested.

edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Because I promised I'd circle back on this; http://3dwishlist.com is where I've built this tool. In my sig is a link to a post where I've detailed it (in mind-numbingly boring prose; I should just have snapshotted a few scenes of it), and a link to the same demo linked on the main pages of 3dwishlist.com.

You sign up, enter your DAZ information, it scrapes any/all pages of your purchase history and wishlist, and provides your wishlist (the first thing I built out) in a tagged discount format to explore, and a browser plugin for Chrome or Firefox which gives you the 'You bought this!' functionality. I've been using it for a few weeks now, and it really rocks, inmnsho!

Check the screenshots in the below-mentioned post for how it ends up rendering when browsing the DAZ store.

'Course it probably has bugs. 'It works for me' is great, until I let other folks use it...so let me know if it doesn't work, or has other issues!

-- Morgan