Advanced Ambient, Spot & Distant Lights [Commercial]

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Well, according to US time, which this forum is on, it's now lunchtime, so, we can't expect much for a little while. There's also a new version of DS out, I'm hoping that when I download and install that it doesn't prompt me to install the DIM so I can get my content in.

We shall see.....

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Well, according to US time, which this forum is on, it's now lunchtime, so, we can't expect much for a little while. There's also a new version of DS out, I'm hoping that when I download and install that it doesn't prompt me to install the DIM so I can get my content in.

We shall see.....

As far as I can tell the CMS works the same as it has for the last several versions. Just point your new install to your current content folders and it should pull everything in. Or if you install over your current version it will already be pointing at the proper places.

It doesn't make me use the DIM to install content from other stores or freebie sites so there's no reason it should make you use it for content from Daz.

Since the DIM files are just .zip files there's no reason for them not to allow you to have a straight download link. I'm guessing it just got missed and they'll get it corrected as soon as possible.

I'm not sure what your specific reasons for not wanting to use DIM are but if it's not that you just don't want to have another app on your system then it's possible to have DIM download the .zip files to a location you specify and let you install them yourself. I know some people don't want extra apps on their systems though so if that doesn't work for you it doesn't work.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I don't use DIM on my main because my work machine is not online, and the workarounds required to use DIM on a completely offline computer basically render it superfluous. I have DIM on this laptop, and I copy the zip files from this machine to the other one. Effectively I do both, it works fine in each situation, and I'm able to tell when important updates occur. I really like this because sometimes artists go back and add .ds materials and .duf files to products that were originally .pp2/.pz2 only, and it's like getting something new all over again since I usually haven't used those products in ages.

I'm 100% certain the download issue is an error, because I've bought other things today and was able to manually download them just fine. I look forward to playing with my new ambient lights.

edited December 1969

That's something anyway, so, I can at least install the new version of DS. The main reason I don't want to use the DIM is that you have to uninstall all your existing content and then reinstall it using the DIM. For me that's hundreds of products that I'd needlessly have to dump manually just to have to put them all back again.

This is why I really want the manual installation for the Advanced Ambient Light set so I don't have to use the DIM and start from scratch when I don't really need to.

CHEERS!

• Daniel BarnettDaniel Barnett Posts: 389
    edited December 1969

Can someone please tell me the size of the file that DIM is installing for this product?
    Thank you!
    dbb

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

That's something anyway, so, I can at least install the new version of DS. The main reason I don't want to use the DIM is that you have to uninstall all your existing content and then reinstall it using the DIM. For me that's hundreds of products that I'd needlessly have to dump manually just to have to put them all back again.

This is why I really want the manual installation for the Advanced Ambient Light set so I don't have to use the DIM and start from scratch when I don't really need to.

CHEERS!

Why do you have to uninstall your content, I didn't, I wouldn't have used it if you did and nor I would think would a lot of others.

edited December 1969

As far as I was aware the link for the DIM wasn't working either, so I don't think we know just yet.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Why do you have to uninstall your content, I didn't, I wouldn't have used it if you did and nor I would think would a lot of others.

Really!?

I'm sure that was the first thing that was mentioned when the DIM first came out. Oh well, if that is the case, though I'd like it confirmed, I might possibly consider giving it a whirl. For now though I'd like to stick with manual.

CHEERS!

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Really!?

I'm sure that was the first thing that was mentioned when the DIM first came out. Oh well, if that is the case, though I'd like it confirmed, I might possibly consider giving it a whirl. For now though I'd like to stick with manual.

CHEERS!

There were actually 2 videos put out at one point. The first was for using the DIM default (which by the way are not the DS defaults) which would probably require you to move stuff. The second walked you through setting up DIM to match your existing library structure.

So, yeah, you can use DIM and just have it download stuff that you install manually.

You can use the default settings and it will install everything it downloads to a default directory (C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library).

Or you can go through and point it to your existing folder structure and have it install there.

If you have your content spread across multiple directories I'd just have it download stuff for me to a specific download location and then unzip everything to where I wanted it but that's just me.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about what DIM does.
    You can use it VERY flexibly in a lot of different ways. As a downloader of zips, as an installer, as a way to see updates, as a way to manage multiple runtimes easily, as a way to rapidly search your product library, and you can use these features separately without using what you don't want.
    Hope that helps.

edited October 2013

Sisca said:

There were actually 2 videos put out at one point. The first was for using the DIM default (which by the way are not the DS defaults) which would probably require you to move stuff. The second walked you through setting up DIM to match your existing library structure.

So, yeah, you can use DIM and just have it download stuff that you install manually.

You can use the default settings and it will install everything it downloads to a default directory (C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library).

Or you can go through and point it to your existing folder structure and have it install there.

If you have your content spread across multiple directories I'd just have it download stuff for me to a specific download location and then unzip everything to where I wanted it but that's just me.

Mmm, ok, taking that into account, the one thing that does bug me about it is that it will take FOREVER to download and install everything I have, with no guarantee that it won't crash or hang and my laptop runs very hot if you leave it running for long periods. With manual I can do it when I want and know that the particular thing I've installed has gone to where it should. I don't really have the time to sit and babysit the DIM to make sure it's doing what it's supposed to.

So long as there continues to be manual downloads I think I'd like to do it that way

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

The big reason I can't use DIM for installations is that I use subcategories. For example, instead of Runtime/libraries/Character/Clothing-Item, I have: Runtime/libraries/Character/Clothing V4/Uniforms (or some subcategory)/Clothing-Item. Yep, it takes longer to install/upgrade, but finding stuff is *much* easier when using DS or Poser.

Back to the topic at hand, here's to hoping the Lights become available soon for download (still not up yet)!

• SupercopeSupercope Posts: 128
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=4&aid=91257_10DNkqBLyiX2H9Vpp8eL&board_id=1

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but what are the clothes (especially the jeans) and shoes in the above promo? Thank you!

The product looks awesome, BTW!

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

The big reason I can't use DIM for installations is that I use subcategories. For example, instead of Runtime/libraries/Character/Clothing-Item, I have: Runtime/libraries/Character/Clothing V4/Uniforms (or some subcategory)/Clothing-Item. Yep, it takes longer to install/upgrade, but finding stuff is *much* easier when using DS or Poser.

Back to the topic at hand, here's to hoping the Lights become available soon for download (still not up yet)!

Can't you point the DIM to those subcategories?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,154
    edited December 1969

dbbdaniel said:
    Can someone please tell me the size of the file that DIM is installing for this product?
    Thank you!
    dbb

Can't see if anyone has replied to this question? If not, mine (dl via DIM) is 433 KB zip - haven't installed yet (as I dl to my laptop but run on my desktop)
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

So far I would just like to know how to use this product. I read through the Readme...and also double checked DIM that it did in fact install. But when I go to my content library nothing shows up. I went to the Product listing and located "Advanced Ambient Light" but when I select it nothing displays at all.

Anyone else having this issue?

I am running the latest 4.6 on MAC.

Thanks

• Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited March 2017

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
  • EinieMeanieEinieMeanie Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    So far I would just like to know how to use this product. I read through the Readme...and also double checked DIM that it did in fact install. But when I go to my content library nothing shows up. I went to the Product listing and located "Advanced Ambient Light" but when I select it nothing displays at all.

Anyone else having this issue?

I am running the latest 4.6 on MAC.

Thanks

I'm using 4.6 on Windows 8... sometimes it takes a while to display the product thumbnails (not just with this one, but others, too). Sometimes I have to click on something else in the hierarchy and click back for things to appear. If that's what is going on, it will look like there is nothing, but will say "1-4 of 4" above the place where the thumbnails should be. If there is nothing there, it will say "none." Hope that helps. :)

Here is the user guide: http://www.ageofarmour.com/3d/tutorials/AoA_advanced_ambient_light_help.html

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,968
    edited December 1969

anikad said:

Can't you point the DIM to those subcategories?

No, because it unpacks to the root folder (the one that holds Runtime and Data etc.). However, I don't see how using DIM would make it any harder than manually extracting - you are going to rearrange files either way.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Where are my manual installers? T_T

• siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited October 2013

I opened the zip (DIM) and installed it manually: the DAZ Studio_4.5 part in the program folder and the content in My Library, now I got them in Light Presets - Age of Armour - Ambient Light. And I re-imported the metadata and it appears in the smart content lights category.

ambiant.jpg
    1140 x 661 - 333K
    Post edited by sioc on
  • StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited December 1969

Still no manual download and no response to bug report I sent or here :(

edited December 1969

Strixowl said:

Update: Kinda. Got this from DAZ

We have received your email. Please know that we are working on your ticket and will respond asap. Due to the sales etc, we have received many tickets. We are doing the best we can to answer you within our normal 1-2 business day period. However, it is taking us a few extra days. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Thank you!

October 04, 2013 16:23

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Strixowl said:
    Strixowl said:

Update: Kinda. Got this from DAZ

We have received your email. Please know that we are working on your ticket and will respond asap. Due to the sales etc, we have received many tickets. We are doing the best we can to answer you within our normal 1-2 business day period. However, it is taking us a few extra days. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Thank you!

October 04, 2013 16:23

I got same answer for my another (unrelated to AAL) ticket -_-

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

They said the same thing for two tickets I submitted during the PA sale.

edited December 1969

Duh! And this is Friday. Probably won't see anything til next week. It's after 5pm on the West Coast

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Still no manual download I filled a support ticket last night and mentioned the problem in a PC thread.

I know a few other people have filled support tickets about the manual ownload too.

It won't gt fixed until Monday or latter it looks like.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited October 2013

This is my first render result with it. Theres a fairly strong pale blue AAL in the room, and a distant light acting as a sun outside. I'm trying again with new settings now that I have a slightly better sense of how it behaves, but it is definitely very cool!

Edit: Added my second test, a little closer to what I was I was aiming for. This one has two AALs, a dimmer one and a brighter one, plus the sun light. Still playing....

AAA-Test2.png
    1000 x 562 - 887K
    AAA-Test1.png
    1000 x 562 - 954K
    Post edited by Storypilot on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Oh yes, loving this... here's my first test render - one distant light, two advanced ambient lights

advanced_ambient_light_test.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 925K
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited October 2013

Edit: Added my second test, a little closer to what I was I was aiming for. This one has two AAAs, a dimmer one and a brighter one, plus the sun light. Still playing....
    Looking good, but if you don't mind me saying, you maybe got shadow from distant light set a bit too soft for sun - suggest maybe reduce to 0.5%-1% softness (alternatively, could be result of having ambient lights set a bit higher than I'd probably have them)... well, just a thought ;-)
    Post edited by Jabba on