Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
edited January 2013 in The Commons

Well, it's really a pity it was not possible to import the old forum database, so the LAMH thread will start from square 1 as all the rest.
I've been working very hard last two weeks, and I have several new features to show.
I'm currently uploading a new movie and will post here as well, so stay tuned!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Welcome back, I look forward to seeing the progress you made. :D

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

As from the blog:

New feature: the Scene Explorer
    I worked very hard during last two weeks and so now it's time to start showing some of the new features.
    The first one is the Scene Explorer, which allows to easily add a figure or a prop available in the Studio scene directly to the Look at my Hair framework.
    With figures, it's even possible to choose specific nodes to load.

As usual, here is a brief movie to demonstrate the new feature:

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Every time I thnk it can't get any better, it does. This is really an amazing piece of work Alessandro.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

Coldrake said:
    Every time I thnk it can't get any better, it does. This is really an amazing piece of work Alessandro.

Coldrake

Thank you very much. There are so many features to showcase, stay tuned for next videos...

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,742
    edited December 1969

I'm really excited about this, so thanks for starting the new thread.

So... how well do you think it will be able to handle really light hair growth... by which I mean something like a man's hairy chest or a teenager's mustache?

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

great video! looking forward to seeing what else you come up with :)

• FaewolfFaewolf Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wow, love the new video! cant wait to seethe other features you're hinting at as well! :D

• edited December 1969

Just wanting to check in so I can follow the progress.

• chiefarchonchiefarchon Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

how long till its out?

I too needed to register on the thread :P

edited December 1969

how long till its out?

I too needed to register on the thread :P

Hi, I believe I'm very close to start beta testing: can't give a date, but I believe it should be ready for summer.

edited December 1969

Let's continue showing new feature being added. It's now time for the "deformers and selection controls".

As from the blog:

"In this movie I'm giving a quick overview of the available deformers and how those can be combined to quickly shape hair. I'm also showing how to use selection controls to mask some areas so that deformers and styling will only apply to those.
    Notice how some of the deformers can be applied to one or more axis simultaneously (see that small xyz mini widget along the deformer slider), and how you can combine deformers to produce different results.

As a side note, as explained earlier in this blog, preview hair may have some sharp corners but those will be "smoothed" during the render, producing nice spline curves.

Please watch the movie HD and full screen to appreciate all the details."

Here is the movie: http://youtu.be/HwK4PmdvIuU

edited May 2012

I'm really excited about this, so thanks for starting the new thread.

So... how well do you think it will be able to handle really light hair growth... by which I mean something like a man's hairy chest or a teenager's mustache?

Hi,

there are a number of features that I recently added that will allow that. I didn't share yet any information or movies about these, but here are some brief notes:

- density maps: it's possible to assign a density map (i.e. a greyscale texture) so that full hair growth will follow. Since black pixels mean density=0, density maps will also work as "cut maps" allowing to precisely define the hair contour area.
    - hair remover tool: it's a brush tool that allows to visually "remove" hair (just like waxing). It's very simple and effective to use.
    - customizable number of hair segments: for each LAMH project it's possible to define a custom number of hair segments. To make an example, if you plan to make some simple, short fur, 10 segments will definitely be more than enough; if you are going to produce some very curly, crispy hair, you may increase that to 40-50 segments so that strands geometry, having a higher number of points/segments, will be more precise and more detailed. This is the case also for hairy chest.
    - multiple hair groups: it's possible to have multiple hair groups assigned to the same follicles: it's an important feature because it allows to "mix" hair with different properties (shaders, maps, shapes). Think for example how you can easily create a mix of curly and smooth hair, with different colors.
    - root/tip width maps (yet to be done): similarly to density maps, this maps will allow to define custom width variations for hair strands.

I've never tried to render some very short hair, but will do that soon. I believe with all the features explained here it should be very possible.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Checking in, lots of progress being made. Cant wait for this product to hit the stores.!

edited December 1969

Yet another update, showing how density maps work.

As from the blog:

""Quick and dirty" example showing how you can assign a density map to a surface, and how that will affect hair population.
    As explained in the movie, hair density will be calculated gathering grey scale values, where white pixels is full density, black pixels account for no hair, and grey values will be used to calculate interpolated densities."

Link to YT movie: http://youtu.be/K5TxOupsdFg

• Fille123Fille123 Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

there are a number of features that I recently added that will allow that. I didn't share yet any information or movies about these, but here are some brief notes:

- density maps: it's possible to assign a density map (i.e. a greyscale texture) so that full hair growth will follow. Since black pixels mean density=0, density maps will also work as "cut maps" allowing to precisely define the hair contour area.
    - hair remover tool: it's a brush tool that allows to visually "remove" hair (just like waxing). It's very simple and effective to use.
    - customizable number of hair segments: for each LAMH project it's possible to define a custom number of hair segments. To make an example, if you plan to make some simple, short fur, 10 segments will definitely be more than enough; if you are going to produce some very curly, crispy hair, you may increase that to 40-50 segments so that strands geometry, having a higher number of points/segments, will be more precise and more detailed. This is the case also for hairy chest.
    - multiple hair groups: it's possible to have multiple hair groups assigned to the same follicles: it's an important feature because it allows to "mix" hair with different properties (shaders, maps, shapes). Think for example how you can easily create a mix of curly and smooth hair, with different colors.
    - root/tip width maps (yet to be done): similarly to density maps, this maps will allow to define custom width variations for hair strands.

Yyyyyessss!! :lol: Are hair length maps also on the to-do list?

edited May 2012

Fille123 said:

Yyyyyessss!! :lol: Are hair length maps also on the to-do list?

Length maps? Why would we need those since we have the scale tool to do that? Consider yourself spank'd! LOL

spank.gif
    49 x 37 - 10K
    Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

rofl that emote! xD

i love how the density works and i think hair can be easily made with a dark grey map and the curly hair deformer you showed off in the previous video :D

edited December 1969

Wha!?! :bug:

Length maps based on objects' UVs would be quicker and would allow a more uniform/smoother job than the scale tool in some instances (open the template in photoshop, use a brush or the gradient tool and voila! :-) ). I tend to prefer that way when playing with hair in Carrara, especially since I'm more at ease with 2D than 3D painting.

Although one thing that would be even more useful and time-saving would be a Recomb Tool. :wow:

edited May 2012

As from the blog:

"Arctic fox: furred!

I cheated on this because I used a red fox model (arctic foxes look a little bit different, more compact and less skinny, slightly different head shape.
    The process of creating fur was straightforward and, believe it or not, I didn't need to comb hair at all.
    The whole fur has been accomplished using the taper, spherize and length deformers, and the randomize roots and randomize length on full hair.
    Used the scale tool a little bit just to balance some fur spots, and rendered in 22 minutes using the advanced shader provided with LAMH.
    Added a subtle HDR toning to enhance contrast a bit.
    Hope you like it..."

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Alessandro, the forum image resize function isn't working so for now you need to resize images to 800 pixels maximum dimension before uploading. Sorry about that, it's pain I know.

edited December 1969

Sorry about that. Here is the Arctic Fox render at 800pixels...

arctic_fox_furred_HDR_800.jpg
    800 x 485 - 63K
    edited December 1969

omg, I neeeeeeed this! that fox is so cute, i cant stand it xD

I'm amazed at how natural it looks without the combing, i would have though that around the shoulders at least you may need to comb the hair direction but it looks nice to me.

edited December 1969

Faewolf said:
    omg, I neeeeeeed this! that fox is so cute, i cant stand it xD

I'm amazed at how natural it looks without the combing, i would have though that around the shoulders at least you may need to comb the hair direction but it looks nice to me.

Hi, well the "spherize" deformer really comes handy because it allows to "drape" hair in a direction. And also the "taper" deformer, which can be used to equalize strand lenghts very easily. After using those two deformers, I was almost done with shaping guide hair.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Fluffy foxy! Want! :wow:

• FWIWFWIW Posts: 320
    edited December 1969

That fox is amazingly gorgeous. Wow. This may be the thing that gets me to actually BUY something from this place. I haven't been willing to try until things get sorted out.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

I didn't see this thread in the old forums... so I need a catch-up summary... will this be a plugin for dynamic hair in Studio??

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    I didn't see this thread in the old forums... so I need a catch-up summary... will this be a plugin for dynamic hair in Studio??

Dynamic no, not for version 1. Future version, maybe. Please see Alex's blog for a lot of additional info - http://look-at-my-hair.blogspot.it/

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

Wow - I adore that fox!! :) Very realistic. ^o^

edited December 1969

Awww cute! :lol:

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    I didn't see this thread in the old forums...

The old thread is here. It's a bit long at 43 pages, though. A pity the posted pics don't work yet, it was pretty amazing watching each new feature develop. There were also a lot of impressive YouTube links, I'm not sure how easy these would be to copy/fix/paste into your browser's address bar.
This discussion has been closed.