Win7 64 / Bryce 7: Export to DAE or FBX does not work

ParallaxeParallaxe Posts: 8
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi there

I have just installed Bryce 7 on a Win7 64 box and loaded the Warraok. The object loads and renders nicely in Bryce. However, I can't manage to export the object. Here's what I tried:

1) Export to DAE
- Start Bryce 7
- Load the Warraok into the scene
- Select the Warraok
- Choose "Export Object" --> COLLADA export(*.dae)

Result: After the export was finished, I found heaps of BMP files in the chosen folder, but no .dae file anywhere.

2) Export to FBX
- Start Bryce 7
- Load the Warraok into the scene
- Select the Warraok
- Choose "Export Object" --> FBX export (*.fbx)

Result: After the export was finished, I couldn't find any .fbx file

I have even tried to start Bryce 7 in various compatibility modes (Win7, XP SP2, XP SP3 etc.). Nothing helped to solve the issue.

The last thing I tried was the bridge from Bryce 7 to DAZ 4.5 Pro. But the transfer either stops half way through, or misses parts of the object. Sometimes Bryce ended up looping in the "Sending ..." status.

And occasionally Bryce 7 just crashes.

Overall, it doesn't look very promising. Do you have any hints or recommendations?

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,154
    edited December 1969

I haven't exported DAE or FBX from Bryce - I rather import such. Bryce normally uses procedural materials and if you export an objects, these procedural are converted to flat pictures - hence you get a lot of BMPs. Try exporting as Wavefront *.obj and see if you have more success. I'm using either obj or 3ds and have no issues.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I too have found over the years that all the export options are a bit iffy, with the exception of .obj (and sometimes 3DS but .obj is usually the easiest and most compatible with other stuff I use).

That's quite a nice looking ship too... by coincidence I'm just doing another ship render myself.

• ParallaxeParallaxe Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot to both of you. I have tried both .OBJ and .3DS:

.OBJ
    It did export the mesh very nicely, but when imported into Maya, no textures were found/attached. There's just the pure (gray) mesh.

.3DS
    This one did the job: When imported into Maya, it had all meshes, materials, textures, etc. So .3DS it shall be (-:

Again, thanks a lot for your help! (-:

However, it did surprise me that even the bridge from Bryce 7 to DAZ Studio 4.5 is glitchy.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

That's odd about the .obj not sending the materials.

Didn't it save a .mtl file?

Here is an .obj file and all the stuff Bryce created to go with it that I exported the other day while testing a model I'm building at the moment.

Picture-10.jpg
    675 x 310 - 74K