Carrara Monthly Challenge 29: Bad Timing, or Good Timing (Anachronistic) - WIP Thread

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

If that is the issue then all is not lost. And it can be easy to accidentally click on the timeline when you don't mean to.

• I hope that is it, although I did check and didn't see any extra keyframes - maybe there is one hidden in one of the collapsed groups somewhere.  I'll take a look tomorrow.  Thanks all.

• I have had this when using an object with animate-able parameters. Usually some preset thing from the Browser. It happens so infrequently that I always have to think about it a few minutes. I've had it happen with a particle emitter preset and a fire preset of my own that I had animated before saving the browser.

Just a warning, you may have to dig deep down into some object to find the guilty keyframe if that is what is causing your problem.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

MDO,  I've luckily not had that problem but think that by just running a test animation from the bottom of main scene that the correct placement might show up... or even use the scrubber. Hope you find the culprit. Even if you don't there is a lot of time before entry thread opens/closes.

Entry Thread Opens: Saturday 3 Dec 2016
    Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: 12.00 Midnight Saturday 10 Dec 2016

evilproducer,  welcome back... can't wait to hear how the screenplay went.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2016

I tried scubbing through the timeline to see if anything jumped around and that was not it.  

I simplified the scene a bit and tried starting over, but I am still missing the three people I put in there - they were not only moved to the world origin but their bones and morphs were all so messed up that they were not even usable.  I don't know what it is in this scene, but I saved my new version and went to run an errand and when I got back and opened it, everything was back at 0,0,0 - something in the scene is causing the whole thing to go crazy every time I save and reopen it.  I'm not recreating it again though, and I don't have a full render to work with, so I'm done.

Here's what I had managed to recreate before the second time everything went weird, just to show what I was working on though.  It's a dinosaur fighting a tank! In the first version I had three "cave people" in furry furs, two on the ground and one standing on the tank.  I spent a lot of time the first time around manually placing the ground cover in the first version, for this one I just dropped in a replicator, which is why the tank looks like plants grew up around it. sad

tankVdino001.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 205K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited November 2016

Argh - that was shaping up to be a great scene.

I want to combine a toon render with dynamic hair.  I use the toon filter and the volumetric primitive passes.  Here are some scene elements. 

Don Coyote

The Man of Laredo

Don Coyote Rirst render.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 826K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

I did that keyframe thingy myself. Not having a clue about animation, it took helpful people here to point it out. Four years ago? Yikes! surprise

Hope to get some more done this coming week...  And am working on January production already, so it messes with my head... when was Christmas again? 

indecision Silene

• SileneUK said:

OK, just starting anew on an old scene first worked on almost 4 years ago to self-tutor on hair (yikes) but abandoned. Going to bring it up to date.

Created cliffs terrain and mapped with the Tapui cliff-face shader layers (no hair involved there). Left some winter brush twigs in from old scene, but will have to re-locate their source if I keep them.

Created planes with hair to simulate marsh grass, leaving gaps to allow the water shader to show through.

Sky and lights are only for my own reference at this point. When the scene fills, will choose a better lighting and background/sky.  

There will be a big woolly mammoth, some hairy Neanderthal hunters wearing fur in an 'unusual' way maybe, or other furry things.

Was thinking about using fire in a way that Evil Producer posted a long time ago. Anyone seen Kev?

Enough hair? indecision  Silene

What way was it that I used fire, Silene? I may need a reminder.

edited November 2016
    SileneUK said:

I took your campfire from ShareCG and messed about with it... I ended up even making smouldering smoke with it! Will hopefully post soon, but that campfire has done a lot of duty for me without rendering headaches.  If it aint' broke don't fix it I say!  yes Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • SileneUK said:
    SileneUK said:

I took your campfire from ShareCG and messed about with it... I ended up even making smouldering smoke with it! Will hopefully post soon, but that campfire has done a lot of duty for me without rendering headaches.  If it aint' broke don't fix it I say!  yes Silene

I liked that one. I have a better version with nicer looking logs I need to upload. It has a particle emitter for sparks. Not a ton of particles, so it calculates fast.

Time Constraints = Drama

9 Tricks to Writing Suspense Fiction

By: Simon Wood | July 10, 2008

2. Use time constraints. Another key way to build suspense is through the use of time. The protagonist should be working against the clock, and the clock should be working for the bad guys. In Robert Ludlum and Gayle Lynds’ The Altman Code, Covert One agent Jon Smith has only days to prove the Chinese are sending chemical weapon materials to Iraq. In Greg Iles’ 24 Hours, Will and Karen Jennings have one day to escape their captors to rescue their child from a kidnapper. Every minute you shortchange the protagonist is another notch up on the burner under the reader’s seat.

http://www.writersdigest.com/qp7-migration-conferencesevents/nine-tricks-to-writing-suspense-fiction

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited November 2016

I've uploaded the newer campfire to ShareCG.

https://www.sharecg.com/v/86648/view/5/3D-Model/Campfire-v2.0

No restrictions. It was going to be a component in another scene that I have abandoned.

I hope it is useful! If you have any questions, just ask and I will try to answer.

Campfire Version 2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 250K
    Post edited by evilproducer on

I've uploaded the newer campfire to ShareCG.

https://www.sharecg.com/v/86648/view/5/3D-Model/Campfire-v2.0

No restrictions. It was going to be a component in another scene that I have abandoned.

I hope it is useful! If you have any questions, just ask and I will try to answer.

Thank you!!  Am not to that point just yet,maybe end of the week, but as I understand how you get your effects, I will feel comfortable with it and will use it.  Cheers!   xx  heart Silene

Thanks to SileneUK for the help on the shaders... I've come up with a compromise that is'nt so dark.  Thanks also to Dartanbeck for the suggestion of scaling the Carrara font... note that scale seems to be broken in the font editor... it squishes the text... so scale must be applied in the Assemble room. This is the stop sign I used in the Animation Club for Carrara.  I later tweaked the white outline and designed a different signpost for it to hang on.

TurkeyWoods_34.png
    1024 x 576 - 1M
    TurkeyWoods_34.png
    1600 x 900 - 383K

I love your Punk Turkey !! Too cute to eat... hope he gets the pardon.  yes Silene

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

The new signpost looks like the stop sign posts around here. Nice job!

edited November 2016

Silene, if Punk Turkey makes it past stopsign the pardon is a go.

Sonja, why thank you. blush

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited November 2016

I need to get back to my scene, but discovered something interesting I did not know about. Changed my avatar to a proper 3D (it was a 2D PS comp before). Messing about with her hair, I found that by accident, if you select some of the guide hairs (either with or without generated hairs showing) when in the hair room with the selection tool, then move down one to the SCALE tool... you can grow or shrink the hair with a lot of control!   

It took some practice, but it will shrink or 'grow' all the hairs for the selected guides. Including the shape, eg how much distance you have pushed already, wave, etc.  Hard to show in screenshots, but here it is briefly. Sorry if you already know this... I usually just dealt with setting length with the tool in the menu across the top, or cutting with scissors when increasing the length from the right-hand menu is too drastic. Keep in mind that I had incorporated a wave into the hair already, so if you do that, and then want to trim, the generated hairs will always show shorter than their guides to begin with.

Hope this helps....I lightened my render to show the side hair layers.  heart Silene

SileneUK.jpg
    600 x 600 - 329K
    3.png
    1284 x 702 - 155K
    2.png
    1701 x 702 - 986K
    4.png
    595 x 830 - 366K
    Post edited by SileneUK on

Very cool hair... thanks for the tips. This was my first venture into the Carrara Hair Salon. I had debated giving toon turkey a bit of style without draping to look like a patch of grass like so "\|/"... with a bit of curve of course.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Silene - nice find - even I didn't know that one!

• That one is new to me also. Great find! The student has become the master!
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

Silene, great find... I'm always messing up the lengths and this will help a lot in getting it better..

Awesome award yes

• Silene has now officially joined the Carrara GURU club!

It's a pretty fun group. Except for the secret handshake. Its kind of a PITA if you ask me, but you must learn it- there will be a test!

secret hand shake.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 285K

Look out folks... there's a new Gal in town. :)

OMG... thank you all. blushblushblushblushblush​  an award? Wow, my first laugh

It was just a happy accident and a twitchy thumb on my trackball that found it! yes

Guess twitchy thumb is a requirement for the handshake? devil  How did you get them entwined like that, Kev??? surprise

Thank you again, Phil, John, Kev & Stezza... I find the hair thing fascinating and frustrating at the same time!

heart Silene

MDO2010 said:

I tried scubbing through the timeline to see if anything jumped around and that was not it.  

I simplified the scene a bit and tried starting over, but I am still missing the three people I put in there - they were not only moved to the world origin but their bones and morphs were all so messed up that they were not even usable.  I don't know what it is in this scene, but I saved my new version and went to run an errand and when I got back and opened it, everything was back at 0,0,0 - something in the scene is causing the whole thing to go crazy every time I save and reopen it.  I'm not recreating it again though, and I don't have a full render to work with, so I'm done.

Here's what I had managed to recreate before the second time everything went weird, just to show what I was working on though.  It's a dinosaur fighting a tank! In the first version I had three "cave people" in furry furs, two on the ground and one standing on the tank.  I spent a lot of time the first time around manually placing the ground cover in the first version, for this one I just dropped in a replicator, which is why the tank looks like plants grew up around it. sad

MDO, Oh dear... that's such a shame as I wanted to see what you did with your cave people in combat!  I have a slightly similar idea, but hope it's different enough not to conflict if you find you are able to return to the competition this month.

sadheart Silene

• SileneUK said:

OMG... thank you all. blushblushblushblushblush​  an award? Wow, my first laugh

It was just a happy accident and a twitchy thumb on my trackball that found it! yes

Guess twitchy thumb is a requirement for the handshake? devil  How did you get them entwined like that, Kev??? surprise

Thank you again, Phil, John, Kev & Stezza... I find the hair thing fascinating and frustrating at the same time!

heart Silene

Sometimes you gotta be a rebel and turn off constraints! That's just the way I roll.

edited December 2016

Great job, Silene.  I am bookmarking that post.  Hope we get some more good tips for using dynamic hair.  Still, plenty of time to get started.  Deadline for entering is December 10th even though the entry thread will be opening this weekend.

edited December 2016

Still not the scene, just working with the pieces.  Here, my guy who wants to have a gunfight with a windmill is a combination of an NPR render, a toon render, and the hair of a photoreal render volumetric pass.  I will post the elements in the next thread.

Don Coyote 01 composite.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 1M
    edited December 2016

Here are some of the passes that were composited.  Volumetric hair does not do well in the NPR render or the toon render. EDIT:  But, the hair from the photoreal render can be used by choosing volumetric in the multipass render options.

As always, suggestions welcome

aa01 npr render.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 1M
    aa02 toon render.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 618K
    aa03 volumetric 1 pass.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 192K
    aa04 volumetric 2 pass.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 186K