Carrara Monthly Challenge 29: Bad Timing, or Good Timing (Anachronistic) - WIP Thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited November 2016

Here is a quick update on my progress.  I rendered out the spline hall that I had modeled along with the dancing V3-4 / M3-4 couples (there is even a D3/SP3 couple in there) and saved the scene.  I opened the scene and deleted everything but the lights and render settings.  I then inserted a primitive as a placeholder for the focus of my scene, then loaded a genesis couple.  I also inserted a primitive plane as a shadow catcher.  Confident that the lighting should match, I loaded the previous render in the backdrop. I also cheated by putting a bigradient in the background with global illumination to fake the indirect lighting of the enclosed hall in the first render.  Unchecked visibility for the cube when  rendered.

Here is the scene setup for the most recent render and the renders for the banners on the wall.

For the final render, I will be repeating the same method.  I'll use the original lighting plus a bigradient in the bakground channel. I will put the most recent render in the backdrop channel.  (background is distinct from backdrop).  Insert a primitive plane for the shadow catcher for the floor.  I will replace the cube with my intended focus and render with the original render settings, plus multipass to aid with postwork.

cinderella background 3a screengrab.JPG
    1897 x 1011 - 292K
    cinderella background 3a.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 243K
    Banner Eagle 640 by 480.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 467K
    banner revel.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 271K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • PhilW said:

Very generous to share your robot! interesting looking terrain too.

Thanks Phil smiley

• OK, here is first Cararra screenshot smiley

RobotAndTerrain.jpg
    1386 x 727 - 297K
  • Well, spreding around some "plants", will see how that goes, lol smiley

RobotAndTerrain2.jpg
    1481 x 749 - 384K
  • I think I'm just going crazy here today, lol, ants, I have no idea why I put ants there, off to render this crazy thing smiley

RobotAndTerrain3.jpg
    1555 x 875 - 467K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Please let it be a yellow brick road . . . laugh

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,229

Thanks guys, here is basic "terrain" for the scene, wierd, I know, but I kind of like it, lol smiley

Here is link for a robot itself, fully textured and "rigged" with simple parenting (Carrara 8 Scene File: 7zip used for compression):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4V0tbmTYNaSSnh2TnQ2WFBudlU/view?usp=sharing

Free to use for whatever you guys need it/modify it for, no credit for use is needed, would be nice though ...

I'd definitely credit you! Thanks so much!

Hey, I really like this crazy thing!

diomede said:

Here is a quick update on my progress.  I rendered out the spline hall that I had modeled along with the dancing V3-4 / M3-4 couples (there is even a D3/SP3 couple in there) and saved the scene.  I opened the scene and deleted everything but the lights and render settings.  I then inserted a primitive as a placeholder for the focus of my scene, then loaded a genesis couple.  I also inserted a primitive plane as a shadow catcher.  Confident that the lighting should match, I loaded the previous render in the backdrop. I also cheated by putting a bigradient in the background with global illumination to fake the indirect lighting of the enclosed hall in the first render.  Unchecked visibility for the cube when  rendered.

Here is the scene setup for the most recent render and the renders for the banners on the wall.

For the final render, I will be repeating the same method.  I'll use the original lighting plus a bigradient in the bakground channel. I will put the most recent render in the backdrop channel.  (background is distinct from backdrop).  Insert a primitive plane for the shadow catcher for the floor.  I will replace the cube with my intended focus and render with the original render settings, plus multipass to aid with postwork.

Really nice work, diomede! Looking Great!

I think I'm just going crazy here today, lol, ants, I have no idea why I put ants there, off to render this crazy thing smiley

...because "Ants" rhymes with "Plants"? Maybe?

You go man!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    SileneUK said:

WGDJOHN  have a look at these screenshots of another model of 3DU's, a baboon that I have which might have a similar map.  1 and 2 show what you get in the Shader Room if you choose the whole character from the tree in the Assembly Room. The application to the various body parts do not show up on the right. So in 3 and 4 it shows the Shader Room when you choose only the model when you are in the Assembly Room.  

Using method 3/4, you will see in the Shader Room..that the treeis showing all the different body parts as mapped by the texture map over on the right, so choose one and see what other effects, eg HIGHLIGHT and SHININESS are applied. When I changed image 4 to NONE (not shown) the shiny spots on the ball went away. They may be different from any effect on the Global shader. It's a fiddle I agree. Others can likely explain better, but give it a try. I admit that didn't know about single texture maps having their own effects for different body parts or areas for a long time. I guess when you are using these models in DS or Poser, it all behaves differently?

Doh on me!  blush Silene

Good Grief... Kewl... gonna have to try this when I'm done rendering. Thanks... I've been using Model/Shading in Assemble room.

Fifth,  Thanks very much for the Robot... nice job. Weird terrain but looks great to me.

• No problem, sir, you are all welcome ...

Here is Carrara native render of my scene, white in the back is actually transparent, so I can play with this thing in Fusion smiley

RobotAndACatCarrara.jpg
    1555 x 668 - 569K

I Love It! yes

Waay Cool!  At first glance there appears to be only the glowing topped plants... but looking closer there are other plants which are quite different. Love the texture/Shader you applied to the alien looking terrain.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2016

Plants and the ants on the' trees', wow. Very very striking composition and models! yes Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811
    edited November 2016

some really cool stuff happening here.. a some free models to boot.. awesome!

Here is another I played with today.. the shuttle cockpit was used.. I made a glow map for it for all the lights and retextured the super suit for an android look on G1.. I was going to use a robot but thought maybe not quite right for the scene.. Retextured the abacus as well.. Used 2 globes and 1 distant light for lighting and the aura effect on the glow channels.

shuttle cockpitWiP.jpg
    1442 x 763 - 154K
    Stars by Abacus.jpg
    900 x 675 - 463K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Good idea Stezza, like that background smiley

After playing for some time in Fusion, here how mine looks like, ya all tell me if it's too dark, thanks smiley

Travelers.jpg
    1720 x 800 - 256K

It's a cyanotype, almost. And no, it's not too dark on my screen.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Very cool image - and not too dark!

Stezza, Very Cool!

FifthElement, Beautiful!

- FifthElement, the image looks great on my computer but is too dark on my IPad.  Probably says more about my IPad than about the image.  Fantastic idea and execution.

- Stezza - I was going to use an abacus for something - to count the votes, that is.  wink​  Very creative.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

FifthElement  that literally glows in the dark!

Stezza love the cockpit,  with the glows and so can see all the workings, yet the abacus blends right in as though it is mechanised and belongs there!

Glad this month's challenge has some extra time built in... want to get back to this during the week hopefully.

yes  Silene

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited November 2016

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it, here is 3D Anagliph for those of you who have red/cyan glasses smiley

Travelers3D.jpg
    1500 x 745 - 790K
    Post edited by FifthElement on

Good idea Stezza, like that background smiley

ah yes, Deviney's Space backgrounds yes

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it, here is 3D Anagliph for those of you who have red/cyan glasses smiley

This is an awesome image... 

diomede said:

- Stezza - I was going to use an abacus for something - to count the votes, that is.  wink​  Very creative.

that could be a great render come to think of it yes

SileneUK said:

Stezza love the cockpit,  with the glows and so can see all the workings, yet the abacus blends right in as though it is mechanised and belongs there!

Glad this month's challenge has some extra time built in... want to get back to this during the week hopefully.

yes  Silene

hey Silene, it was a bit tedious doing the glows in PS but we got there eventually.. sort of wink

Fifth,  Great contrast... kitty looks even better.

Stezza,  Cool... your PS time paid off.

I've run into a big problem, see pics below. The hair has moved from the head to the lower torso. This happened after working on the shader for the torso... it didn't show up directly afterwards... I'd saved the file when satisfied with the shader as a new name.  Upon closing all open windows and re-opening the *new* filename it showed the hair in a different place. Not knowing what I may have done then opened the hair modeler room and the hair shows to be where I wanted it and the polygons selected to grow the hair on were correct... on top of the head.

I did notice that there was a Hair 1 way down at the bottom of the Toon Turkey "tree list"... I've deleted it in both files and resaved each. This had no effect on either file.  I have tried moving the hair out of the *tree* and back into it again for the problem file... no change at all.

I've save the Shader for the torso and applied it to a working file... the hair goes wacky again. I'm lost in a loop.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Turkey_Hair_NOproblem.png
    1600 x 900 - 176K
    Turkey_HairProblem.png
    1600 x 900 - 240K
    edited November 2016

It appears that my adding displacement may have been the root of my woes. I do like the effect it had to roughen up the torso feathers. I've instead added some other Shader settings to give the torso a better look than the original WIP, one of these is spots... who wold have thunk it.  I also changed the shader tree so that Toon Turkey is at top of tree as before then Model different than before is that under it is Hip under it... now when I move the hair out of the tree and back into Model it now appears at the very bottom of the tree and not directly under Model. I'm still messing around with shaders but may be done as they look fairly good. Just to experiment I'm thinking of re-applying displacement now to test for sure that it was my problem.

The pic below needs some camera adjustment but shows the Shader settings for Toon Turkey as I've modified them so far... Thanks for the help SileneUK, I didn't change the actual texture map for the toon turkey but did make some of the adjustments that you suggested. I'll also be adding an object of my own to the scene.

TurkeyWoods_30.png
    1024 x 576 - 1M
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • Well - I thought I was going to have something for this challenge, but it looks like the gods are against me this month.  I spent about 10 hours modeling and texturing,posing and adding hair, then setting up my scene and doing a few test renders, then I saved my scene and went out with my sister for her birthday.  When I came back and loaded my scene, every single object, including about 40 manually placed plants were all at 0,0,0!  And it isn't just affecting that version of the scene! I like to do incremental saves (filename001.car, filename002.car...) as I go, saving a new one whenever I make major changes, and whatever has happened is affecting EVERY incremental save of the same scene.

I have never run into this before.  I don't even understand how it is possible - even if one version got corrupted, how could it possibly affect a differently named version of the same file saved hours before?

Anyway - it's too frustrating to have to redo so much work without knowing if the problem will just reoccur, so I think I am giving up for this month. sad

Oh No!!!!

Something similar happened to me once.  It turned out that somehow an animation had been inserted and that the correct version of my scene (object placements) was in some random animation frame.  Everything was at 0,0,0 upon load for me as well.  I swear that I did not start or cause some animation, which is why I used the passive voice for "...an animation had been inserted."  Worth checking to see if something simlar happened to you.  See if your animation sequencer has been initiated and if there is a key frame somewhere - even if you never invoked it yourself.

So sorry in any case.

edited November 2016

I've had the same thing happen, and like Diomede, I eventually found that the sequencer had been moved on some way (I never do animation, other than a physics sim occasionally, so I definitely never invoked it)

The good news is that it's easy to reset and clear out the duff key frame(s)

Post edited by TangoAlpha on